Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
three years from now Super Baseball 2020 will be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In 2009, the men in white coats told me that there was no such thing as the Big Shell and there was no shadow organization called the Patriots trying to control society.

But I know the truth.

I know.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

just a few minutes ago, I was literally one button press away from my first 1CC of any game (not an arcade game, I'm not that cool---it's Bionic Commando on the NES) ever, and I hosed it up. The timing on the helicopter shot is just unreasonably difficult to get any sort of practice on, because either you get it or you don't. I obviously had like 90 bajillion continues, so I got it immediately after, but it was just so annoying to be that close to getting it, when, for me, beating games at all is a cause for celebration.

Along those lines, I picked up BC to cool out for a while after I was working on FFV, trying to beat it for the first time, on a save file I started probably like three years ago at this point...

...and I TPKed to a king behemoth while walking from the last save point to the last boss fight. I suck.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Then I cannot loving wait. "Now we set the crackers!" :awesomelon:

Jokes on them though, the average baseball stadium is already full of crackers eyyyyyy. :ocelot:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

And ten years from that we get bill lambeer's combat basketball.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

And ten years from that we get bill lambeer's combat basketball.

I only regret that I will not live to see the Basewars of the 24th century. :sigh:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hexwren posted:

just a few minutes ago, I was literally one button press away from my first 1CC of any game (not an arcade game, I'm not that cool---it's Bionic Commando on the NES) ever, and I hosed it up. The timing on the helicopter shot is just unreasonably difficult to get any sort of practice on, because either you get it or you don't. I obviously had like 90 bajillion continues, so I got it immediately after, but it was just so annoying to be that close to getting it, when, for me, beating games at all is a cause for celebration.

Along those lines, I picked up BC to cool out for a while after I was working on FFV, trying to beat it for the first time, on a save file I started probably like three years ago at this point...

...and I TPKed to a king behemoth while walking from the last save point to the last boss fight. I suck.

I just game overed on the second to last boss in raiden III (PS2, arcade diff) by it's literal final bullet after I had already beaten it, it was exploding as the continue screen came up. I didn't remember you save replays by hitting triangle during the continue countdown rather than from a dialog box after you enter your initials as in raiden IV so I even lost a thing to post and laugh at

video games are trash

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Quiet Feet posted:

I only regret that I will not live to see the Basewars of the 24th century. :sigh:

If we're lucky, we'll get mutant league football in another year or so

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My proudest 1cc is Golgo 13 on the NES.

I will likely never achieve that level of competency again, at anything.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Whoops I did a :retrogames:

Left has games bought from a goon, right has BnM games.

And the stick was $20, tested and worked at the shop.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^ I love me some Twisted Metal II

:hellyeah: Super Baseball 2020 and Base Wars rocked. Can't forget about this bad boy in 2020:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I'm just wondering why the governments of the Earth have yet to form the EDF. 2017 is almost over! We're not ready!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Light Gun Man posted:

Personally I'm just wondering why the governments of the Earth have yet to form the EDF. 2017 is almost over! We're not ready!

:stare:

We are not ready.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

widespread posted:

Whoops I did a :retrogames:

Left has games bought from a goon, right has BnM games.

And the stick was $20, tested and worked at the shop.

despite the weird design I'm betting that ascii stick is pretty good if its microswitched (never used that particular one). all those ascii sticks with the concave bit where the shaft comes out and the neo-geo AES style buttons (the AES stick is made by ASCII) aren't quite ~PRO ARCADE QUALITY~ but have a pretty unique very clicky/tight feel that I like a lot. they're really great for shooters, and the turbo helps with that too. the top tier FGC-approved PS1/2 sticks like the yellow namco and HRAPs lack any kind of turbo and go for like a zillion dollars now

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 22, 2017

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

d0s posted:

despite the weird design I'm betting that ascii stick is pretty good if its microswitched (never used that particular one). all those ascii sticks with the concave bit where the shaft comes out and the neo-geo AES style buttons (the AES stick is made by ASCII) aren't quite ~PRO ARCADE QUALITY~ but have a pretty unique very clicky/tight feel that I like a lot. they're really great for shooters, and the turbo helps with that too. the top tier FGC-approved PS1/2 sticks like the yellow namco and HRAPs lack any kind of turbo and go for like a zillion dollars now

Fun fact: The "Slow" feature in the upper right? Just presses Start rapidly. Unless there's a fuckup with that and Twisted Metal 2.

Also by shooters you mean stuff like Metal Slug? Or like actual FPSes on a PS1.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUycZ86mL0c

What's your favorite retrogaming-related ad?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

widespread posted:

Fun fact: The "Slow" feature in the upper right? Just presses Start rapidly. Unless there's a fuckup with that and Twisted Metal 2.

That's how slow works on every third party controller, it's the turbo routine on the start button.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

That's how slow works on every third party controller, it's the turbo routine on the start button.

Ahhh, okay. I'm amused that that is the way it goes about "slowing" the game.

As an aside, bruteforced my way through Metal Slug X. Those microswitches are just too fuckin' useful. Made the Heavy Machine Gun fully automatic and poo poo.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

widespread posted:

yeah stuff like metal slug, basically anything that was originally an arcade game or designed to play like an arcade game. definitely not FPSes

edit: also "microswitches" refers to the switches inside the joystick, not the turbo controls:

some joysticks (hopefully yours) use these, if your stick clicks when you move it around it has them. other, shittier joysticks use rubber domes and just feel squishy:

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 22, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

d0s posted:

yeah stuff like metal slug, basically anything that was originally an arcade game or designed to play like an arcade game. definitely not FPSes

edit: also "microswitches" refers to the switches inside the joystick, not the turbo controls:

some joysticks (hopefully yours) use these, if your stick clicks when you move it around it has them. other, shittier joysticks use rubber domes and just feel squishy:

One other slightly less common option is an optical stick. I'm personally unaware of any pre-Dreamcast home sticks with that mechanism, though.

EDIT: Oh drat, ASCII did one for PS1 similar to the DC stick.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 22, 2017

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

d0s posted:

I can hear the click when I slightly move in a direction, hot ziggety.

Also gently caress, now that you mention it, what other shooters are there besides Metal Slug?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

One other slightly less common option is an optical stick. I'm personally unaware of any pre-Dreamcast home sticks with that mechanism, though.

there's also the "whack a metal plate with another piece of metal" stick which thankfully never caught on

I recently used one of these for the first time at an old computer meet, the owner was really enthusiastic about it and I had to pretend it was good

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

widespread posted:

I can hear the click when I slightly move in a direction, hot ziggety.

Also gently caress, now that you mention it, what other shooters are there besides Metal Slug?

Good/interesting PS1 stuff off the top of my head—

RayStorm, RayCrisis, Einhander, Sanvein, In the Hunt, R-Types, R-Type Delta

Imports: Gunners Heaven (very good Gunstar Heroes knockoff, possibly closest to what you're looking for), Gaia Seed, Zanac X Zanac, iS: Internal Section, Harmful Park

There have to be some good run & guns I'm forgetting.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 22, 2017

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

widespread posted:

Ahhh, okay. I'm amused that that is the way it goes about "slowing" the game.

As an aside, bruteforced my way through Metal Slug X. Those microswitches are just too fuckin' useful. Made the Heavy Machine Gun fully automatic and poo poo.

IIRC it's also hilariously useless because you have to hope you've managed your button presses while the game wasn't paused.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

there's also the "whack a metal plate with another piece of metal" stick which thankfully never caught on

I recently used one of these for the first time at an old computer meet, the owner was really enthusiastic about it and I had to pretend it was good

Those are good! Or at least they were the best 2600/C64 controllers available at the time.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Those are good! Or at least they were the best 2600/C64 controllers available at the time.

I just got one of those in a random lot of broken dirty stuff and sold it for $30. :feelsgood:

It just needed a cleaning. I'm kind of stunned that anything remotely related to Atari is worth anything.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Quiet Feet posted:

IIRC it's also hilariously useless because you have to hope you've managed your button presses while the game wasn't paused.

Hilariously useless at best. Actively harmful at worst or if you have a game that has a menu on pause.

Rollersnake posted:

Imports: Gunners Heaven (very good Gunstar Heroes knockoff, possibly closest to what you're looking for), Gaia Seed, Zanac X Zanac, iS: Internal Section, Harmful Park

I'll definitely try out Gunners Heaven first. And the other ones some time later.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rollersnake posted:

Wow someone else actually mentioned Sanvein. Funny story. I have a sealed copy I picked up for about five bucks at a local game store. They had two more copies.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Wow someone else actually mentioned Sanvein. Funny story. I have a sealed copy I picked up for about five bucks at a local game store. They had two more copies.

There are still loads of copies on Ebay for less than $10 too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

If you ignore the Competition Pro, Zip Stik, Powerplay Cruiser, etc etc etc

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Random Stranger posted:

But he didn't post a picture of a Wico Command Control :confused:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Silhouette posted:

But he didn't post a picture of a Wico Command Control :confused:

Epyx 500xj bitch! My current model is even Sega Master System compatible so I have excellent tactile control and turbo features for SMS games as well as my Atari 800 games. Sometimes you want clicky. Like all the times forever for everything.

Sadly the controller isn't as good for computer games with keyboard control because everyone was cheap and used single fire button db9 ports. Except all the ones that didn't but those systems mostly died. (Colecovision, Intellivision, and then the SMS and Genesis. All multi fire button db9 controllers. Though the Inty and CV are terrible to use because their ergonomics were shiiiiiiiiiitttttttt. Machines that just prove emulation is normally the best choice. Remap some poo poo and use your modern controller that's got all the buttons and 20x more comfy to use! Unless you simply must have your overlays. Also see PC Engine. Have fun getting both the 3 and 6 action button pads for any not rough price!)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

or you could just live without the 2 or 3 PCE games that use the 3 button or 6 button controllers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd say the two most important gaming inventions to throw down a time tunnel so people use it, is the concept of a proper d-pad and the concept of a modern gamepad-style controller like you have on the xbone/ps4.Like just make sure those ideas are present for the Atari 2600 even though they're probably going to at most support three whole buttons, and it'll inspire the Colecovision/Intellivision to have a much more sane way of handling controls (even though the intellivsion people will probably do some sort of 8-bars-on-top d-pad that senses the full 16 positions because they're weird), and then games like on the NES/SMS generation will start from a base of more buttons so a lot of games are less awkward, etc.

Of course I'm not sure if starting from a baseline of "the cheap Atari controller port supports three buttons from the get go" would be enough to save all those Euro gamers from cheapass home computer makers only bothering to support 1 button and the joystick style, but it might. And that'll probably make a lot more of those games less horrible to play.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Are there any good 8bitdo style wireless controllers for Sega systems? My wife has been sick and wanted to play Genesis in bed and the only thing I have to offer her are lovely 90s IR wireless controllers which do work but are annoying.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Only Shallow posted:

Are there any good 8bitdo style wireless controllers for Sega systems? My wife has been sick and wanted to play Genesis in bed and the only thing I have to offer her are lovely 90s IR wireless controllers which do work but are annoying.

Not as far as I can find. I know if they would make a Japanese Saturn pad along with Genesis and Saturn bluetooth adaptors I'd buy them sight unseen.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got the Art of Atari book and holy goddamn its fantastic. Are there any other good retrogame art books that have a good balance of artwork and text? I love reading about the context and design methodology behind the artwork almost as much as the artwork itself.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

I would get a long extension cable but thats because I don't trust that wireless voodoo to not introduce some kind of input lag

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I know Krikzz tweeted something a long time ago about looking into/prototyping a Bluetooth Sega controller. Don’t know the progress, but that’s a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xenomrph posted:

I got the Art of Atari book and holy goddamn its fantastic. Are there any other good retrogame art books that have a good balance of artwork and text? I love reading about the context and design methodology behind the artwork almost as much as the artwork itself.

If you don't have the unofficial famicom/super Famicom complications, look into it. There's one for commodore and Amiga too. Very hefty books with lots of art and content.

Published by bitmap books.