Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Chasm of Doom posted:

You are in combat with a Vassagonian horseman who is now on foot. You cannot evade him and must fight him to the death.

Bandit Horseman: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 24

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Bandit Horseman: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 24
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Bandit Horseman: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 0

You run half-crouched to the barricade and prise a bow from the hand of a dead soldier. You have spotted the leader of the bandit cavalry—a tall, dark-skinned warrior with a thin, chiselled nose, rallying his horsemen at the foot of the stone watchtower. You know you must kill him before he can regroup his troops, or D’Val and his hard-pressed men will be ridden down and mercilessly slaughtered.

You notch an arrow and draw back the bowstring. The straining cord bites into your fingers as you take aim.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

You release the arrow, and it whistles through the air and buries itself deeply into the mail-clad shoulder of the Bandit Leader. You hear his scream of pain ring out above the din of battle, but even though he is badly wounded he still attempts to rally his men. You stoop to take another arrow, but, to your horror, the dead soldier’s quiver is empty. Looking up you see two dismounted Vassagonian horsemen clambering across the barricade towards you. You throw down your bow and run to a large water cask defended by a stout Sommlending sergeant. The ground around the cask is carpeted with enemy dead.

‘Shoot the leader!’ you command, pointing towards the enemy officer. The sergeant aims and fires his bow with one swift and fluid movement. The arrow arcs through the battle-smoke and pierces the officer’s shiny breastplate. Slowly his cruel eyes flicker and close as he slips from the saddle, the shaft lodged deep in his heart.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).

‘To me! To me!’ Captain D’Val’s voice booms out above the battle noise. ‘Rally to me, Sommlending.’

The brave captain draws about him a shielded wedge of soldiers and charges into the flank of the horsemen. They reel and buckle as the shield-wedge hews its way through their company. A Vassagonian herald, his crimson armour torn and his face smeared with blood, breaks free from the battle and sounds the retreat. You watch as the surviving bandits spur their mounts to the gallop, desperate to escape through the ragged hole in the barricade. Gripped by panic and fatigue, they ride through their own foot soldiers who are advancing to support them. The infantry falter and collapse as the cavalry ride them down.

Captain D’Val leads his men to the barricade and directs a lethal volley of arrows into the shattered infantry. It is the last straw. They throw down their weapons and flee from the clouds of arrows raining down on them from out of the smoke-filled sky.

A battle-cry, proud and strident pursues them across the plain: ‘For Sommerlund, for Sommerlund!’

All around the barricade the enemy are retreating in disorder; bandit war-horns announce the withdrawal, exhorting their defeated warriors to flee the battlefield. A jubilant Captain D’Val emerges from the war-smoke, his eyes shining like jewels beneath the rim of his battered helmet. ‘We have triumphed, Lone Wolf. We have vanquished the foe!’

All around you, the captain’s men are rebuilding the barricade and tending to their wounded comrades. It sorrows you to see Sommlending dead, but you take heart at how few they are beside the enemy’s losses.

The captain ushers you to the watchtower where your wounds are cleaned and dressed with Laumspur. The herbs restore 6 ENDURANCE points.

‘We have beaten this foe, but I fear that it is but a temporary reprieve,’ says the captain, his face now composed and sombre. ‘The sacrifice of Baron Vanalund’s daughter must be stopped if we are to avoid catastrophe, for our strength will not avail us against a foe freshly risen from the grave.’

The words of the verse flood into your mind and a chill runs down your spine as you realize what may lie ahead. In three days’ time, when the moon is full, Barraka will sacrifice the Baron’s daughter at the buried temple of Maaken, a sacrifice that will unleash the dead of Maakengorge—the Chasm of Doom. You know you must prevent the sacrifice.

Fifty miles south of Ruanon, the ruined city of Maaken teeters on the brink of Maakengorge. A cold sweat breaks out upon your brow as you contemplate the difficulty of your mission, for you are separated from your goal by fifty miles of enemy-held territory. But there is still a flicker of hope; with the enemy in confusion and retreat, your chances of success will be far higher now than before battle.

Before you set off on your perilous mission, Captain D’Val offers you the choice of the following equipment and provisions:
  • Enough food for 3 Meals
  • Rope
  • Potion of Laumspur—Restores 4 ENDURANCE points when swallowed after combat
  • Sword
  • Spear
Dusk soon enshrouds the beleaguered outpost of Ruanon and you use the cover of darkness to cross the body-strewn plain towards the south. An old highway trails off to Maaken but it is choked with Vassagonian warriors. They stand about in sullen groups, tending their wounded and brooding on their defeat; however, even demoralized and dejected, they are still a deadly foe. It will be too dangerous to risk passing through their ranks, so you must use the forest to conceal your passage.
After we choose which items to take (and which to discard to make room, if necessary) we'll set off through the trees. But will we travel to the left or the right of the highway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:goleft:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
That was an awesome battle. :)

Take Laumspur (indifferent on rest), then :goleft:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

achtungnight posted:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

achtungnight posted:

I hate to be so unimaginative. But when in doubt...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

achtungnight posted:

That was an awesome battle. :)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Take Potion, Take Rope, because then we will prepared for anything!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Lone Wolf, why did you drop the bow? :(

Take Laumspur, then :goleft:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Laumspur and Rope.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Take the rope and laumspur, but go right.

This was always one of the best-written battles, and the images are some of my favorite of the series (especially the exploding shell).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If you don't end up with a backpack full of healing potions you never use, you're doing it wrong, I say.

The forest is patrolled by bandits, but they take little interest in their guard duties, and you find it easy to avoid them in the dark. Then, by chance, you come across a small log cabin hidden deep in the woods. A candle flickers at the window, and the door is ajar.

Do we go inside or keep moving?

Our backpack is now full.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A Cabin in the Woods?

I will not homage what I consider a terrible movie.

Keep moving.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Go inside.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Investigate.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Keep Moving.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Will you light my candle?

Yes

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Go inside, might have loot.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Get in there

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Little pig, little pig, let me come in!

But weren't we supposed to find another house first?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm surprised that anyone was voting to not loot the cabin, honestly.

The door slams shut, and you spin round to see a bandit leaping at you from the shadows. His head is a mass of bloodied bandages, but he is armed and determined to fight.

Wounded Bandit: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 16

He fights you with his back to the door and you cannot evade him.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 32
Wounded Bandit: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 16
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 29
Wounded Bandit: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 7

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 29
Wounded Bandit: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 0

You roll the dead bandit over with the toe of your boot and make a quick search of his body. You discover the following items:
  • 3 Gold Crowns
  • Dagger
  • Sword
You may take any of the above items. As you are leaving, you notice a trapdoor in the floor. Opening it, you see that it leads down to the cellar of the building.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).
I'm assuming we want to take the money and leave the rest, but let me know if you prefer some other option. Also whether you want to investigate the cellar or just leave?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm fine with just taking the money. On the next decision, let's get things over with here.

Loot the cellar, Lone Wolf!

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 21, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Course we want to investigate.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nah, let's leave, the loot here sucks

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Of course we want to investigate the cellar! It might have better loot.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Descend in the cellar!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Guy Fawkes posted:

Descend in the cellar!

Username/post combo :prepop:

Venture downwards.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The only thing better than going left is going down on a smoking-hot Sommlending sausage I mean into a cellar.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Nah, let's leave, the loot here sucks
In fact, there's no loot at all in that cellar. If we'd gone down there we'd have been locked in, failed to stop the rise of the undead, and been killed by them when they arose and swarmed across the countryside.

You quickly leave the hut far behind and press on through the trees. By morning, you have reached the edge of the forest. Staring out across the fields of tall crops, you see a small village lying at the base of a shallow valley. The fields are only separated by narrow tracks, which are alive with flying insects hovering in swarms.

You are walking along the track when you suddenly spot bandits ahead. They are wandering idly up the track towards you, their spears slung over their shoulders.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

Lifting your feet high, you step into the tall crops, taking care to part them first with your hands. You allow the stalks to close again behind your back before you crouch down and hold your breath. You have completely vanished from sight; it is as if the stalks have never been disturbed.

Thanks to your skill of Camouflage, the bandits amble past barely inches from where you hide, oblivious to your presence. When you are sure they have gone, you emerge from the crops and hurry away.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).

You bypass a village with orange-wood cabins and stone walls, and climb through the tall fields towards a wooded ridge. Beyond the ridge, you enter thick forest and discover a bubbling freshwater stream. You drink deeply and realize how hungry you are. You stop to catch and eat a fish.

As night falls you reach the city of Maaken. The gaunt, weed-infested ruins of this shattered city are spread like a vast graveyard and bathed in the eerie light of a near-full moon. A sound fills the air like the wailing of lost souls; it is the cry of Maakengorge.

It has been nearly two days since you last slept and fatigue begins to overwhelm you. Drawing your Kai cloak about your shoulders, you settle down to sleep; you will need all your strength for the daunting task that lies ahead.

Dawn arrives, rain-swept and gloom-laden. A pall of drizzle hangs over the ghost city and the gruesome discord of the wailing winds of Maakengorge makes you feel uneasy. You watch and wait, your Kai cloak drawn close about your shoulders to keep out the chill, damp air.

It was here, during the Age of the Black Moon, that King Ulnar of Sommerlund killed the mightiest of the Darklords—Lord Vashna. In mortal combat upon the very brink of the abyss, the Darklord was slain by the Sommerswerd. It is said that his death-cry when he fell will echo through the gorge until the day he rises to wreak his vengeance on Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar. Your stomach contracts at the thought that this could be that very day.

For five hours you observe and take in every detail of the ruined city. The first line of the strange verse keeps repeating itself in your mind. ‘When the full moon shines o’er the temple deep … ’ The temple must be underground and there must be an entrance to it—but where?

You study every crack in the broken ground and eliminate all but two possibilities: a crypt door guarded by two Vassagonian warriors and a flight of marble steps descending into the earth between two columns of fractured pillars.

Do we try to get past the guards and through the door, or attempt the apparently unguarded route by going down the stairs?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stairs.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Blow past those assholes and take the door.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Can you at least copy the section where we get loving bamboozled and trapped? It's a fun death.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If it's unguarded there's probably nothing worhtwile down there, door.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That cellar is the bs instant death I recalled earlier. I thought for sure we’d suffer it. Glad we didn’t.

I vote for The Stairs.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Check the stairs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Blow past those assholes and take the door.
Both paths end up at the same place but you face a different obstacle each way. If we'd gone the other way it would have been a monster. This way we've got to get past the guards.

You manage to reach a tangle of briars growing near the crypt door, and from here you can observe the Vassagonian guards undetected. More soldiers appear on horseback, riding into Maaken from the north. They dismount and approach the door.

‘Password!’ shout the crypt guards.

‘Lohn,’ reply the soldiers. The door opens and they are allowed to enter.

Armed with the password, you decide to try to enter in the same way. Keeping the hood of your cloak raised and your Sommlending features in shadow, you walk boldly towards the guards.

Your bravado (and training in Camouflage) has paid off. The guards accept the password and allow you to enter the crypt. As the stone door is drawn shut, you find yourself in a wide torchlit corridor heading towards the east.

The corridor ends at a flight of steps that descends a hundred feet into the earth. At the bottom, a short passage leads to a junction where a tunnel runs from north to south. To the north you can see a torchlit cavern with what appear to be observation slits carved into the wall; to the south a passage leads towards a low balcony.
Do we go north to the cavern, or south to the balcony?

There's a luck roll to get past the guards, to which you get a pretty hefty bonus for having Camouflage. It's pretty tough without it, but you can still get past by fighting them. The monster you face by going the other way, on the other hand, simply cannot be defeated if you don't have the Sommerswerd, and gets a nasty surprise attack in if you don't have a Firesphere. Having both those items, as we do, would have made it a pretty safe option, but if this is your first book then it's certain death.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can you at least copy the section where we get loving bamboozled and trapped? It's a fun death.
Sure.

You are at the bottom of the cellar ladder when the trapdoor slams shut and you hear a bolt slide across and lock. You hammer on the trapdoor desperately trying to escape, but your captors cover the trapdoor with a heavy oak cask and keep guard in the room above. Four days pass before the lock slides back, but the hands that open the trapdoor are bony and fleshless.

Your life and your mission end here.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
South to the balcony. Check out the view!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Check out that cavern.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Cavern sounds more like where the hidden temple would be.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Check out the balcony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Check out that cavern.
Ooh, bad choice, I'm afraid.

You have taken just one step into the cavern when a blow on the back of your head knocks you senseless. You were seen at the junction by two guards, who prepared this ambush for you. Your equipment is taken and your unconscious body bound by Barraka’s men, who throw you into a cell.

You are unable to stop the sacrifice. When the time comes for your cell door to open, it is the bony hand of a skeleton that turns the key.

Your life and your mission end here.

Death Count: 4

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 19, 2017