Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hate-Senpai posted:

Also Hungry Marie ended.

:rip:

Turns out you can only be hungry for so long before you keel over and die. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of Hungry Marie someone else earlier mentioned that after the first couple of chapters they weren't really sure if they liked it or cared about it because they weren't clear what the 'hook' of the series was about. That got me thinking about which first chapters had me going "yes I must read more of this immediately" and the only one I can think of recently is Promised Neverland. You've got the slow build-up of the orphanage and the incredibly tense exam double-spread to establish something is extremely messed up, then the chapter ramps up until you get something like four gut-punch revelations of dead child > demons are real > their orphanage is a farm > their mother is their jailer all in seconds. Then the chapter ending clearly lays out what is driving the rest of the plot.

It might be a bit of an unfair comparison since Hungry Marie was a comedy (I think? Didn't read it) but I can't think of any other series with a start as insanely strong as that was.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hungry marie was a comedy with some action like beelzebub, tho it leaned more into the comedy part

it was pretty good, rip in piece

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
really missed out havin not read Kekkaishi until now
drat poignant and well done shounen. thank you Birdman for leading me there

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
p.s. Shuumatsu no Laughter should be an ongoing series still and I sincerely look forward to the rest of tanabe yellow's career

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I really love her 3rd wheel-ness.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Pierson posted:

It might be a bit of an unfair comparison since Hungry Marie was a comedy (I think? Didn't read it) but I can't think of any other series with a start as insanely strong as that was.
Death Note, maybe. At least I think it was the first chapter, where Light shows the book to Ryuuk and you see it's already got like 60 names written down. Although part of the impact was running into something like that in the pages of Shonen "Friendship, Effort, Victory!" Jump.

Kinda sorry to see Marie go, even though I'll admit it didn't grab me. It's harder than it looks making a comeback after a successful series.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierson posted:

Attack on Titan has the strongest and most iconic first chapter, to the point that one panel (Colossal Titan's head appears over the city wall) is a minor meme all on its own.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yu yu hakusho has gotta be up there

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the biggest problem with hungry marie is that taiga and marie didn't really play off of each other much. two vastly different people sharing a body and they barely spoke. like, there were some good jokes in its short run but how many of them had anything to do with the central premise of body-sharing?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I read the first Hungry Marie chapter and I honestly did not get the premise or where the direction was going, but that's probably me speedreading and not giving it the chance it deserved.

That said, I didn't find that memorable either way.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Huh, okay. Not a huge fan of the golf manga, but I like this development in the last chapter. Protagonist decides to become a professional at some point, but understands that he sucks at the game right now. Time skips 3 years forward as he practices. Is the manga getting cancelled or was that an intended development from the start?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Hopeford posted:

Huh, okay. Not a huge fan of the golf manga, but I like this development in the last chapter. Protagonist decides to become a professional at some point, but understands that he sucks at the game right now. Time skips 3 years forward as he practices. Is the manga getting cancelled or was that an intended development from the start?

the tanks are selling pretty well so i dont think its getting canceled. it does feel abrupt though

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If I had to guess, the teammates in the golf club at the school probably didn't test super well.

So they'll keep the characters that resonated with people, and use the timeskip to jettison those that didn't.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Reeks of getting Ole Goalazo'd.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I mean, it's not quite to the level of Hungry Marie making big swinging changes to the status quo of the main character every chapter, but a sudden time skip over the entirety of high school really doesn't bode well for me. One of my favorite parts of sports manga is learning alongside the main character, and when he's already going pro it feels like there isn't going to be any opportunity for that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea unless the author always thought of this part as a prologue to the real beginning of the story, this feels odd. a 3 year time skip 30 chapters in seems pretty out of the norm

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think it may be necessary due to Golf as a sport. There's only so many ways to show dudes swinging golf clubs, so you either skip the training and get to the high stakes world of the pros and leave those three years open for flash backs to show how the characters got as good as they are, which also allows for the possibility of that promised showdown in a reasonable time, or show the three years of training and risk losing your audience as kids realize watching a guy get better at golf isn't as cool as watching a guy get better at other sports since they have direct confrontation and more physicality/movement. I like the manga, but the training would get really old IMO.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The fact the mc is the world’s most stoic Scottsman doesn’t help any.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Woah Astra Lost in Space
:tviv:

Thank god for non magazine Shonen Jump.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i read it years ago when it was first being translated but ran out of chapters and forgot about it so i'm finally going to read all of rookies again

:thumbsup:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I blazed through Promise Neverland and it was extremely good.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

I blazed through Promise Neverland and it was extremely good.

i liked it but it was hard for me to follow week to week. i want to let a backlog build up and read it all at once

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
So mangastream has a new table tennis series called Full Drive. It seems pretty fun so far, from the first chapter.

I find it rather adorable how much the protagonist and the female lead loving love table tennis. They are basically being like "I LOVE THIS GAME" "ME TOO" "gently caress LET'S PLAY" "YEAH" and just hype each other up. They come across like kids who love their sport a ton, it's super endearing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hopeford posted:

So mangastream has a new table tennis series called Full Drive. It seems pretty fun so far, from the first chapter.

I find it rather adorable how much the protagonist and the female lead loving love table tennis. They are basically being like "I LOVE THIS GAME" "ME TOO" "gently caress LET'S PLAY" "YEAH" and just hype each other up. They come across like kids who love their sport a ton, it's super endearing.

The actual game was basically impossible to follow, I had no idea who was hitting or missing when but I do enjoy the energy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Fumino really is becoming one of my favorite characters.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

She is absolutely the hero of the manga.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hopeford posted:

Yeah, there's something sweet about it. I do hope that it doesn't end up taking itself to seriously, but it looks okay.

TriffTshngo posted:

The actual game was basically impossible to follow, I had no idea who was hitting or missing when but I do enjoy the energy.

And very much this. Like that first loop thing, did she return it? I think she missed. But that hardly matters I think? It seems more about the enjoyement of the sport.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hopeford posted:

Art’s a bit bum though.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Hopeford posted:

I liked Hikaru no Go and it got a ton better once Hikaru started aiming to go pro rather than play in a high school club so I am excited for this development. I hope this doesn't mean it is being cancelled because I am enjoying the series, but I also think this is the best move for the story to take so it doesn't seem like a desperation move or a sign of it being in danger of cancellation.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Allarion posted:

Fumino really is becoming one of my favorite characters.

Where're you reading this? The official Viz translation? Scans seem to have stalled, which is quite a bummer since I'm not in the US and therefore can't read the official version :(

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

Where're you reading this? The official Viz translation? Scans seem to have stalled, which is quite a bummer since I'm not in the US and therefore can't read the official version :(

I haven't been able to access Jump for the past few months either since the phone I was able to use to sneak into the US Jump app died on me. I miss Seraph and Jump Starts, but regular We Never Learn is the deepest wound.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rookies is really good did it ever get an anime so i can hear the voices?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mikl posted:

Where do you live?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Where do you live?

Italy, home of "Oh so you want a digital platform for manga? Sorry no, and also gently caress you."

I would pay good money to be able to read manga without having to buy the physical volumes (which don't exist yet for We Never Learn, btw), but apparently they don't want my money? :iiam:

A Monstrous Crow
Jan 29, 2009

Jose posted:

rookies is really good did it ever get an anime so i can hear the voices?

There's a live-action drama adaptation, and some surreptitious youtube videos of the tie-in pachinko game if you're really into strobing lights and whistles with your anime.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's not the chapter I posted pages from, but here's last week's chapter of We Never Learn! Also a very good Fumino chapter

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/35/page/1

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Fumino is strong and powerful and she's my friend and spirit animal :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Every few months I go back and read the couple of chapters in Eyeshield 21 where Sena first shows his face, it's so drat good. A full re-read may be in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Every few months I go back and read the couple of chapters in Eyeshield 21 where Sena first shows his face, it's so drat good. A full re-read may be in order.

You know what? You gave me an idea. I'll re-read all of Ruroni Kenshin with running commentary to celebrate the new Hokkaido arc! :dance: