Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want DKC Returns Remaster 2 Pack, with unlockable Jungle Beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd rather they place that monkey inside of a call

Ring-ring

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Super monkey ball timeframe?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Likely never again. The guy who makes the good ones works on Yakuza now. If they make another good one it will be inside of a Yakuza game that probably won't even get localized.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The prospect of Yakuza games coming stateside is actually really good right now, just, you know, not on Nintendo systems.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Super monkey ball timeframe?

Is this an attempt to dodge the Cursed Phrase of the Switch thread

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I want DKC Returns Remaster 2 Pack, with unlockable Jungle Beat

I need to get my monkey on

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I cannot stop thinking about the Super Mario

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Not true, there are already two Yakuza games translated to english with more on the way on PS4.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I would Day 1 a new Monkey Ball.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

That's how SMT fusion has always been, though. It's slightly different in Persona because it uses Tarot Arcana instead of Demon Families, but the pattern for basic fusion is:

There's literally two data tables: one that tells you what demon family Z will be invoked when 2 demons of X and Y family are fused; one table that indicates which specific demon of any given family will be a fusion result in the range of levels given. The level of your fused demon is just the average of its parents' levels, which feeds into that second table. Then you do skill inheritance, which thankfully is, as of more recent titles, a process that you just do manually in a menu; inheritance used to be random :gonk:

Changing up your party composition via fusion is working as intended, also, because you're encouraged to be constantly shifting your elemental strengths and weaknesses to match the next boss. Demons level up slower than your main character, too, so the ideal pattern is to recruit a beefy demon from a new area, then fuse it with one of your underleveled dudes to get a result that's a little closer to being the right level, and inherits good skills. Then you fill in the gaps with whatever the most up-to-date Special Fusion is, because those pop out with a specific result and level.

I understand how it works, I just don't like how mechanical it feels. I wish there was more of a connection between the demon's character/flavor and their function. Like, one of my endgame demons probably has the genetic material of the very first centaur I captured, but I have no idea if that's true and couldn't tell you which.

I get that part of the game is you basically coerce/control and use the demons as disposable tools, but I feel they could find a way to make that more satisfying thematically. Or at least let them keep talking to you after you recruit them!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

^burtle posted:

You could just play handheld mode like a big Labyrinth board, right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
TYOOL 2017 and a Nintendo Wii game is being released this week.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 23, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean a Super Nintendo game got released last month.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mahoning posted:

It’s also getting released on Wii U which is somehow more surprising to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tender Bender posted:

I understand how it works, I just don't like how mechanical it feels. I wish there was more of a connection between the demon's character/flavor and their function. Like, one of my endgame demons probably has the genetic material of the very first centaur I captured, but I have no idea if that's true and couldn't tell you which.

I get that part of the game is you basically coerce/control and use the demons as disposable tools, but I feel they could find a way to make that more satisfying thematically. Or at least let them keep talking to you after you recruit them!

I get what you're saying but that's an issue with just about every monster collecting game around. FWIW SMT games usually have a list you can look at to see what demons were previously fused to create the current one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mahoning posted:

I'm sure Nintendo provides developers with playtime stats, and I'd love to see what kind of action the Wii still sees. I bet you could accurately identify deaths at retirement homes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

deadwing posted:

I cannot stop thinking about the Super Mario

I can, but I don't want to.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Tender Bender posted:

The mechanical feel is kind of the premise of the series. The original games (and book) are based on the idea that one programmer figured that demonic rituals are just an algorithm, so it should be possible to create a program that would summon demons. When you fuse, you sacrifice two demons to summon another and while I don't know if the rules of fusion were originally intentionally obscure, I think it works as a mechanical metaphor for arcane (:v:) knowledge. It does make it a different type of game - demons are pretty consistently presented as tools and the one NPC who befriends demons is usually a weirdo and/or ends up selling their soul to them.

I get what you mean, though, and I wish there were more games about befriending mons like Pokemon is. We should get another Dragon Quest Monsters. I'd check out Yokai Watch, since the demo looked cute, but my 3DS is currently busted.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Is there a strong chance that Nintendo will port Mario Maker / Captain Toad / NSMB / etc. to Switch??

They hit it out of the park this year with BotW and Mario Odyssey (which I'm going to just assume will be great!) but obviously Nintendo being Nintendo we may not even see follow-ups to these until their next console.....

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

People still successfully sell Wii units on eBay and Craigslist. There’s going to be a millions strong following for some time

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mahoning posted:

It's 2017 and Starfox 2 is eligible for GOTY discussions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MZ posted:

Is there a strong chance that Nintendo will port Mario Maker / Captain Toad / NSMB / etc. to Switch??

They hit it out of the park this year with BotW and Mario Odyssey (which I'm going to just assume will be great!) but obviously Nintendo being Nintendo we may not even see follow-ups to these until their next console.....

Mario Maker is an incredibly safe bet. It’ll probably be a fully fledged sequel rather than a port though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd expect a Mario Maker 2 either next year or the year after, Captain Toad probably not and there'll probably be a NSMB Switch before too long. I don't think the Wii U games will get straight ports though.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

People still successfully sell Wii units on eBay and Craigslist. There’s going to be a millions strong following for some time

Yeah Nintendo sold like over 100m units of those things (for perspective the Wii U managed about 10% of that!), they're not disappearing any time soon.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't be a creep Tim

This was the ONE opportunity for you to say "I don't think so, Tim."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I wasn't much on either of the mobile games, but they were actual decent mobile games and not terrible cash-ins.

Fire Emblem Warriors is also pretty fun. I like the new command mechanics. It did take me a bit to realize that up and down arrows for the triangle are what they are to you, not you to them.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 23, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I cant wait to spend massive amount of gacha cash to not get my favorite villagers

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Nintendo will get our good friends at Tantalus or whatever to do some ports to fill in the schedule in 18 a little bit, but wouldn't expect a ton. A lot of series you'd like a port on probably will get sequels or reboots instead.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

^burtle posted:

Super Monkey Ball Odyssey

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Toad's Odyssey

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think Nintendo will get our good friends at Tantalus or whatever to do some ports to fill in the schedule in 18 a little bit, but wouldn't expect a ton. A lot of series you'd like a port on probably will get sequels or reboots instead.

Excite-Truck 3: Return of the Truck.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm the Wii collector with a complete set dutifully buying each annual Just Dance release until the end of time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zeeman posted:

Super Monkey Ball Odyssey

Super Monkey Ball of the Wild

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Super Monkey BALLS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Excite-Truck 3: Return of the Truck.

That would be great. Excite Bots was real good fun, with modern visuals that would be a great racing game. Better, dare I say, than F0

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super Monkey Ball FighterZ

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

When I close my eyes, all I can see is the glorious face of the Super Mario

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Animal Crossing Mobile will just be a regular AC game but all the walking you have to do needs to be done IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

Animal Crossing Mobile will just be a regular AC game but all the walking you have to do needs to be done IRL.

I would unironically enjoy that.

• Locked thread