Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Spiderjelly posted:

Now it has a hat.

Note the totally traditional and extremely natural bottle of insect barrier

What a guard sees

What a POW sees

Floor is next!

Lol, I live in Naples. Lol, this survived hurricane Irma. Lol, gently caress you, tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm impressed you managed to survive with only two chair cushions and three bottles of water.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm impressed you managed to survive with only two chair cushions and three bottles of water.

Must be Puerto Rican.

That's not a racist joke.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
How do you get to this place, do you have to take a pontoon out or something?

Nixonator
May 26, 2003
Like a bowling ball, but made of gophers.
Either a jetski or a fan boat, which are also the only two modes of transportation within Florida.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Illuminado posted:

How do you get to this place, do you have to take a pontoon out or something?

I ride my alligator.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got a propane fire pit and made a box/end table to hide the tank. I treated it with Sunshield wood protectant. It's cedar fencing, and I used yellow zinc construction screws, which I know cedar doesn't like anything but stainless, but I live in California, it shouldn't rust/rot. We will see how it gets through the rainy season. Very basic, but it gets the job done.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 15, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have this Coleman Roadtrip Grill that fell down and cracked the ceramic.

I filled it in with high temperature epoxy.

Sanded it a lot.

And there was much painting with high temperature brake caliper paint, much wet sanding, and polishing out with Ultimate Compound. Good enough I guess, but I still have to put it back together and see if it actually stands the heat.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
drat, I can't even tell it was damaged. Hopefully it holds up to heat well.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SpartanIV posted:

drat, I can't even tell it was damaged. Hopefully it holds up to heat well.

Ditto. looks good, hopefully the paint fumes doin't poison your food. Hopefully you're gonna do a dry run or two before actually using it. I would've used engine paint and made it Hemi orange, but to each his own I guess, if you want to keep it looking stock that's cool too.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 15, 2017

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I have one of those coleman double burner grills. I was on a trip, camping on an island and the regulator failed to full pressure. It blew the valves apart and the grill burst into a fireball. I've since fixed it, but my paint is awfully scorched. maybe I should try this.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nice turnaround on that grill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

It's cedar fencing, and I used yellow zinc construction screws, which I know cedar doesn't like anything but stainless

FYI, epoxy coated decking screws are cheap and basically non-reactive. If you see something bad starting to happen you can probably zip the zinc ones out and replace them with those for $8 and an hour of your time.

Also, building that to hide the tank is a great idea that I intend to steal.

MrSquid
Jul 2, 2005
"Rowsdower Mobile awaaaaaay!!!"
i guess this is the appropriate thread for.. this.

I bought a raspberry pi a few months ago for emulators, didn't feel right playing them on a flatscreen. After finding a cheapo color CRT at goodwill for 1.75, decided it wasn't weird enough looking.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Welp.

Epoxy is rated at 2400 F. I did the epoxy in May. It better be cured by now.

The paint is rated at 900 F. Its been a week since I polished it, at least two weeks since I last painted it. Its been sitting in the sun. I washed it thoroughly with Dawn after polishing.

No way the grill lid is that hot. It started smoking and bubbling after about a minute.

It was a learning experience, at least.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Could there have been air trapped in the epoxy or between the paint and epoxy that expanded when heated?

e: still looks better than my portable grill

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

Could there have been air trapped in the epoxy or between the paint and epoxy that expanded when heated?

e: still looks better than my portable grill

Its possible. I was pretty careful about cleaning and prep. The epoxy wasn't the easiest to work with, but I thought I got it in there pretty well. The bubbles are solid now, haven't burst and its not like its melted.

The bigger concern I have is the paint smoking. I'm going to heat cycle it a few times, but if it doesn't stop, I might just buy a new lid rather than put in more time. This project really only cost me about $15-20, so I'm not super upset that this experiment didn't go perfectly.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Wouldn't surprise me if the lid exceeded 900f.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also probably should have heat cycled the epoxy before I painted.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
IR thermometers are ~$20 https://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-93984.html

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol update - replacement lids are only $32 direct from Coleman.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Somehow I've acquired refurbishing axes as a hobby.

I've already done more since I took this picture:

Unfortunately I've been pretty bad about taking before and in-progress photos.

Here's an unmarked Michigan pattern axe that I bought from the dump for $3. It was rusting pretty bad and had a broken handle. I soaked the head in Vinegar for a day to remove the rust:

I originally put it on a full size handle from the hardware store (in the group photo), but then re-handled it again on a 28" handle that was on another axe I found that it was too small for.

The cleaned up rust leaves a really neat texture after the vinegar:

This was a Puget Sound pattern falling axe I picked up on ebay. They're usually pretty pricey but I caught a buy it now with a low price immediately after it was listed:

I took a wire wheel to it to remove the rust, which leaves a darker patina that turns black with a wipe of oil.

This was another cheap Ebay head. No markings and not really worth anything. I originally put it on the only handle I could find that would fit the larger than average eye, but it was a huge clunky club-like thing from the local hardware store. I wasn't satisfied with how it came out, so I pulled it apart and took a belt sander to the handle to slim it down and give it an octagon profile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is awesome and I want to buy axes from you.

But I did cringe at seeing painted striking surfaces........

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Is there a problem with paint beyond that it's obviously going to get scratched/chipped off? I could see it maybe helping to preserve the bulk of the axe head, though obviously the paint closer to the edge won't last very long at all.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Third from left with a skinny head, what kind of axe is that?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

wormil posted:

Third from left with a skinny head, what kind of axe is that?

That's the Puget Sound falling axe. The wide head and extra long handle made it easier to get into the big notches it took to cut down the giant trees on the Olympic Peninsula.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Motronic posted:

AXES DON'T HAVE STRIKING SURFACES! You'll mushroom the poll or worse; warp or crack the eye and end up with something like this

The big painted one is a Pulaski, which is a wild fire fighting tool. It's pretty common for them to be painted to keep them from rusting while they hopefully sit around unused. I painted that one in the Forest Service green color. The little hatchet I painted because it's tiny and cute and I wanted it to match :keke:

I'm also probably going to put it up on Ebay, because although it's not in great shape and half the logo has been ground off it's one of these and I like money:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dog Case give me tips on getting wood out of an axe head so I can re-hang it. First step I think is to get a vice so I can hold it steady, but I don't know if just drilling it will work? I know not to use heat.

In related conversation, check out American Experience: The Big Burn on Netflix (PBS) if you haven't seen it already.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Dog Case give me tips on getting wood out of an axe head so I can re-hang it. First step I think is to get a vice so I can hold it steady, but I don't know if just drilling it will work? I know not to use heat.

In related conversation, check out American Experience: The Big Burn on Netflix (PBS) if you haven't seen it already.

If the handle is in decent shape and you want to re-use it, you can try drilling a bunch of holes in the wedge. Get them fairly close together and then pull the bits between the holes out with needle nose pliers. If there's a metal wedge in there, drill on either side and try to pull it out the same way.

If the handle is already loose, drill out as much of the wedge as possible, then hold it upside down by the handle and use a mallet or dead-blow hammer and try to try to pound it off by alternating on each side of the handle. you can also use a piece of wood carved down to be smaller than the eye opening to pound it out from the top.

If the handle is wrecked and you're going to replace it, saw it off close to the head and just drill out as much as you can.

I've managed to do everything so far without a vice. If I need to hold something in place while I pound on it I just set it on the ground (my wood back porch) and stand on it.

Also I saw that episode! It's pretty good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dog Case posted:

AXES DON'T HAVE STRIKING SURFACES! You'll mushroom the poll or worse; warp or crack the eye and end up with something like this

So what's the reason for having a flat on the back that I always see people hammering?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All the axes I've ever used have been originally painted. Red and orange seem to be popular with manufacturers, but also black.

e: I mean, I've used like five so it's hardly definitive but still...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Don't tell that to every last structural firefighter ever since basically forever.

We have a seat called "irons" where the FF carries a Halligan bar and axe. Everyone is specifically taught several techniques which involve using the striking surface of the axe to drive one side of the bar into door frames.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Motronic posted:

Don't tell that to every last structural firefighter ever since basically forever.

We have a seat called "irons" where the FF carries a Halligan bar and axe. Everyone is specifically taught several techniques which involve using the striking surface of the axe to drive one side of the bar into door frames.

I know nothing about axes and poo poo, but it wouldn't be surprising that either firefighter axes are made slightly differently or that they don't mind ruining axes so they have one less tool to carry.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 23, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Axes can absolutely be used as hammers and if they can't well they're just gently caress-poo poo hammers :shrug:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Most axes are only hardened at the edge, and you shouldn't use them to hammer on anything more than a wood stake or wedge. Other's are hardened on both sides, usually small hatchets, but also some full sized axes.

It looks like firefighting axes are around 6-8 pounds, about twice the average felling axe. I'd imagine a combination of being hardened at both sides and having more material around the eye lets them hold up to pounding on metal tools.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

cakesmith handyman posted:

So what's the reason for having a flat on the back that I always see people hammering?

For driving a felling wedge and because if you don't have a blade then by default you have a flat spot.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dog Case posted:

If the handle is in decent shape and you want to re-use it, you can try drilling a bunch of holes in the wedge. Get them fairly close together and then pull the bits between the holes out with needle nose pliers. If there's a metal wedge in there, drill on either side and try to pull it out the same way.

If the handle is already loose, drill out as much of the wedge as possible, then hold it upside down by the handle and use a mallet or dead-blow hammer and try to try to pound it off by alternating on each side of the handle. you can also use a piece of wood carved down to be smaller than the eye opening to pound it out from the top.

If the handle is wrecked and you're going to replace it, saw it off close to the head and just drill out as much as you can.

I've managed to do everything so far without a vice. If I need to hold something in place while I pound on it I just set it on the ground (my wood back porch) and stand on it.

Also I saw that episode! It's pretty good.

I should have mentioned I already cut the handle off close to the head since it was ruined and then proceeded to drill holes in it. I think that's why now I could use a vice because I think I can clamp it up and then fashion the piece of wood you mentioned to pound it out.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
When axe chat comes up I'm always compelled to share this: https://youtu.be/22tBYD-HMtA

If you like watching a master ply his craft while talking you through it with a folksy accent, the hour will feel like 10 minutes.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

TerminalSaint posted:

When axe chat comes up I'm always compelled to share this: https://youtu.be/22tBYD-HMtA

If you like watching a master ply his craft while talking you through it with a folksy accent, the hour will feel like 10 minutes.

I'm quite partial to John Neeman, now 'Northmen' stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paCyA9ypEOE

I can't get enough of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

(a) Please post more pictures of your dog in your project shots. Or just post pictures of your dog!

(b) Do you ever heat treat the axe heads? I noticed some restorers will do that after grinding away the rust, although I have no idea what that would do to previously hardened/tempered heads.