Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

Stardew Question: Is it a bug that I cannot reach the Community Center Legend in the pause screen? I see it in the top right. I swear I've gotten to it before but no matter how hard I try I can't scroll over to it.

Does turning off Controller Style Menus let you get to it as a workaround?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Beastie posted:

Stardew Question: Is it a bug that I cannot reach the Community Center Legend in the pause screen? I see it in the top right. I swear I've gotten to it before but no matter how hard I try I can't scroll over to it.

I can't get to it via the x pause menu, but I can via the b pause menu :shrug:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the fence info, ya'll.

That said, I heard fences were so your cows and whatnot weren't attacked by predators. Is this not true? Are fences pointless for reals?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Not sure! I started to build a fence around my chicken coop/lawn and I stopped when I realized 1) I don't know where the chickens are 2) I'm not sure it does anything.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Frankston posted:

I can't get to it via the x pause menu, but I can via the b pause menu :shrug:

Yup, this is the pro move. Always works on B

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Feenix posted:

Thanks for the fence info, ya'll.

That said, I heard fences were so your cows and whatnot weren't attacked by predators. Is this not true? Are fences pointless for reals?

Yeah they're just for keeping animals in place and looking pretty.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Am I wrong in thinking that if you intentionally spoil a piece of media for yourself before it's been released, to the point where if it's a game and you've seen every level, boss and challenge that you kind of lost the right to be able to make any sort of critical statement about the game? At least a critical statement that the person expects to be taken seriously?

Because some mother fuckers are still being mother fuckers:

https://twitter.com/JCArchives/status/922523662670073856

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think you're better off not worrying about what gamers think.

People are always going to have dumb knee-jerk reactions about everything. Video games seem to just super-charge that poo poo for whatever reason.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I remember being literally awestruck at Breath of the Wild after I got off the plateau because I had spent literally 0 time seeking out any info about it past the official Nintendo stuff.

I expect the same thing is gonna happen with Odyssey, but it'll be a sense of wonder at exploring a sandbox based Mario game again :allears:

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/922556754239528960

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that if you intentionally spoil a piece of media for yourself before it's been released, to the point where if it's a game and you've seen every level, boss and challenge that you kind of lost the right to be able to make any sort of critical statement about the game? At least a critical statement that the person expects to be taken seriously?

"I think this game looks bad but I'll see how I feel once I play it" is unreasonable?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not sure where we're setting the bar for "sterile and repetitive" here
In a playthrough of Super Mario Sunshine you fight
Four Polluted Piranhas
Three Gooper-Bloopers
Two Petey Piranhas
And a giant Boo on a slot machine

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
that's very unfortunate for josh-o-lantern but i do not care what he thinks

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I don't even know who he is if he's an influencer. So I say ignore him.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol they added co-op

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

RatHat posted:

"I think this game looks bad but I'll see how I feel once I play it" is unreasonable?

If you're looking for something to reassure your belief about something before you even play it, then you've already tainted your initial experience with that foresight.

In his case he's been spending the last 9 months or so believing that this is gonna be "Another game not as good as Mario Sunshine" and gorging himself on spoilers before even playing the game is just gonna make that easier for him to stick with that verdict.

I spent my teenage years with the system, but honestly people who talk about the Gamecube being The Golden Standard of Nintendo Gaming in comparison to any eras before or since then seem like the most bizarre subset of fans in terms of pleasing them.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

RatHat posted:

Yeah that was my read of this as well. Maybe he will play it and end up liking it?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One more for the Stardew Chat:

I just upgraded my house. Do I have to empty my chests that are now in the middle of my larger room before I can hit them with a pickaxe to pick them up? :\

Also: Is this a bug where Marnie's book about petting animals is always on the shelf in the library? I have found books and seen them on there and they come and go when I read them. But this one is always there...

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

No because that'd be dumb. Someone doesn't need to actually play a poo poo game like Sonic 2006 to clearly see the game is unfinished and bad. There are some levels of judgement you can determine just by looking at videos.

The opposite is true as well, in that there is some level of enjoyment from a game that you cannot get simply by watching videos. Games often are deliberately made to be experienced with tactile interaction from controls/controllers and actual input information/execution that require someone to physically play it as well.

There is both a level of judgement you can determine only from playing the game, and a level of judgement that can broadly come from watching and observing the elements inside it. Where these levels are varies from person to person based on personal experience with Video games in general, the specific genre, or specific franchise, etc. His boss critique is oddly placed given the Sunshine comparison, but it absolutely is an element you can see just from watching the videos.

Or you're just complaining about spoilers/early leaks, in which case you should probably just grow up if they aren't actually spoiling what the surprises are.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The most hosed up part is that he said sunshine was his favorite 3d Mario

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Sunshine is your top 3D mario game huh? :yikes:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Augus posted:

I'm not sure where we're setting the bar for "sterile and repetitive" here
In a playthrough of Super Mario Sunshine you fight
Four Polluted Piranhas
Three Gooper-Bloopers
Two Petey Piranhas
And a giant Boo on a slot machine

It's the wrong season to be making this kind of reference

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zelder posted:

Agreed. The best 3D mario is Mario's Tennis (Virtual Boy).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't even know who he is if he's an influencer. So I say ignore him.

Has there been any worse thing in the 2010's to take form than "influencer"? This includes ISIS and the alt-right.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Popete posted:

Has there been any worse thing in the 2010's to take form than "influencer"? This includes ISIS and the alt-right.

Trump’s presidency?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If you're looking for something to reassure your belief about something before you even play it, then you've already tainted your initial experience with that foresight.

In his case he's been spending the last 9 months or so believing that this is gonna be "Another game not as good as Mario Sunshine" and gorging himself on spoilers before even playing the game is just gonna make that easier for him to stick with that verdict.

This is extremely dumb for 2 reasons

1. We don't live in vacuums. It's going to be impossible to completely avoid any and all information and opinions that could color an initial experience for [insert whatever media] unless you live under a rock. This isn't an excuse for spoiling things intentionally, and people are free to reduce the amount of spoilers that they wish, and others should respect that if they aren't complete dicks. But there's only so much that can be done.

2. It's pretty disingenuous to assume that there is only a problem when it comes to negative opinions to taint the base experience of the game, when you can very feasibly have the opposite. Someone who looks forward to a game and buys into the hype so hard that they could cloud their perceptions into thinking it's better than it actually is.

Zelder posted:

Stan Taylor posted:

Sunshine is your top 3D mario game huh? :yikes:

It's not my personal favorite 3D mario, but Sunshine easily has the most fun movement options in a 3D mario. If that's the most important standard for someone's Mario opinion, then that's at least fair.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Trump’s presidency?

you mean Influencer in Chief????

That's right, I'm Banksy

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Who in the gently caress would say Sunshine is their favorite Mario game?! Those people don't need a new Mario game, they need therapy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

for all its problems Sunshine is super cool and I can totally see why some people have a soft spot for it but also you can't just take off your critical lens entirely

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I mean I love Sunshine but man that's one of the few mainline Nintendo games that really feels unfinished.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I spent my teenage years with the system, but honestly people who talk about the Gamecube being The Golden Standard of Nintendo Gaming in comparison to any eras before or since then seem like the most bizarre subset of fans in terms of pleasing them.
One thing about this that makes sense besides growing up with a GCN is that was the generation 3D went from a pile of blurry poo poo to Good Enough and all things gaming really did take off.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Josh Thomas is a dude who is probably better left unknown so it's weird seeing him brought up at all.

He's kind of known for being a huge rear end in a top hat and downer to the point the gamexplain guys had to cut ties with him (from what I understand anyway).

E: Sunshine's Fludd mechanics are fine but I basically hated everything else about it. I found it to be a really ugly game art design wise.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ventana posted:

It's not my personal favorite 3D mario, but Sunshine easily has the most fun movement options in a 3D mario. If that's the most important standard for someone's Mario opinion, then that's at least fair.

The game was gorgeous and levels were a joy to explore, but the jetpack made the platforming too forgiving, which ended up hiding its depth. Instead of getting good at platforming, you could just hover your way through a lot of challenges. The levels where you lose FLUDD were the best part of the game. A hypothetical Sunshine without FLUDD would probably be my favorite Mario

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sunshine is nothing but a refinement on Mario 3D sorry haters

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Josh Thomas is a dude who is probably better left unknown so it's weird seeing him brought up at all.

He's kind of known for being a huge rear end in a top hat and downer to the point the gamexplain guys had to cut ties with him (from what I understand anyway).

E: Sunshine's Fludd mechanics are fine but I basically hated everything else about it. I found it to be a really ugly game art design wise.

I also remember Sunshine being ugly, even by 2002 standards. It wasn’t my favorite at the time and it definitely is not now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Actually get rid of FLUDD but keep the thing where you could rocket across water. That ruled

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
sunshine mario's dive to jump flip is the titsmcgee

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was curious about the reasons some people had for spoiling the game for themselves. Like we're only a few days away Friday will be here before you know it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

acksplode posted:

The game was gorgeous and levels were a joy to explore, but the jetpack made the platforming too forgiving, which ended up hiding its depth. Instead of getting good at platforming, you could just hover your way through a lot of challenges.

I'm okay with this kind of design. Depth for players who explore it, but a safe guard built in so less good players can still pull through decently. As long as the rest of the experience delivers good moments, which uh is where Sunshine goes up and down on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like Sunshine but it needs a Wind Walker HD style revision to fix the tedious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sunshine is a great game, better than 90%of games out there, but 3d world, galaxy (1 and 2) and 64 are better

• Locked thread