Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There are American action shows that did alright with female leads over the years, but they're pretty far and few. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, iZombie. Those weren't aimed at children though.

I think this is another scenario where for these types of things to happen you've got to wait for the old people running things to retire or die out and hope the following generation does better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Plus, with the failures that were Masked Rider and Dragon Knight (though ironically enough the latter show actually did much better in Japan), I'm not sure if Kamen Rider could even work that well in the west in general.

Not to mention you've still got a lot of people thinking shows like that (and other attempts like VR Troopers, Beetleborgs and Syber Squad) are just Power Rangers "ripoffs" despite the source footage of a few of them actually predating or airing around the same time as Zyuranger and the only thing they really have in common is the fact that both feature costumed superheroes. I suppose it could still happen but not without a lot of work.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I feel like Sento might end up being treated as a new person within the story, rather than being treated as an amnesiac Katsuragi. He seems like quite a different person to Katsuragi or the rocker, more like the two people were combined than a clear mind swap. With his memories gone too, it feels like his arc might resolve with him not getting 'his' memories back, but carrying on as a new person anyway. Or he's like a three-way Katsuragi + rocker + martian ghost combination.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I hadn't considered that! What if Bloodstalk is actually a Martian????

I'm only half-kidding.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Red Bones posted:

I feel like Sento might end up being treated as a new person within the story, rather than being treated as an amnesiac Katsuragi. He seems like quite a different person to Katsuragi or the rocker, more like the two people were combined than a clear mind swap. With his memories gone too, it feels like his arc might resolve with him not getting 'his' memories back, but carrying on as a new person anyway. Or he's like a three-way Katsuragi + rocker + martian ghost combination.

Oh god, now I get it, Sento's real identity is Part 8 Josuke!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Guess I'll have to amend my Sento/Banjou fanfic if that's the case

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

But how many testicles does he have???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

Plus, with the failures that were Masked Rider and Dragon Knight (though ironically enough the latter show actually did much better in Japan), I'm not sure if Kamen Rider could even work that well in the west in general.

I don't think Masked Rider necessarily failed. Sure, it's remembered as being bad, but it did well enough to get a second season and finish out its story. I think the main reason we didn't see more Masked Rider was that there was simply nothing for them to adapt afterwards. The 89 Black RX footage already stood out like a sore thumb, so going backwards would be out of the question.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think Masked Rider necessarily failed. Sure, it's remembered as being bad, but it did well enough to get a second season and finish out its story. I think the main reason we didn't see more Masked Rider was that there was simply nothing for them to adapt afterwards. The 89 Black RX footage already stood out like a sore thumb, so going backwards would be out of the question.

True, they might have been able to get away with going back to Black but even that's kind of a stretch (they were already pushing it by splicing in ZO and J footage). If it happened a few years later they might have been able to make a franchise out of it.

Dragon Knight was a much better show in my opinion but it had problems of its own, was barely marketed and the company that made it went under not long after it finished (the last few episodes never even airing on television).

Ryuki probably wasn't the best choice as far as American Kamen Rider adaptions go either (I think something like W or Fourze probably would work better in the west).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 24, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I feel like Kamen Rider has a tendency to be more "aggressively Japanese" than Super Sentai a lot of the time, which probably doesn't help with Saban-style localization. Although that didn't stop them with Shurikenger or Ninja Steel.

I don't know, I feel like Kamen Rider would work over here if it was remade with like The CW production values/methodology, kinda along the lines of Amazons, but westernized another couple degrees? Like, Kamen Rider W is practically already primed for consumption as an American prime-time superhero show, if you tone down the Dopant suits to like, mostly SFX makeup. I don't think it would work competing with Power Rangers in the current market, unless it went straight to Netflix or something.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
By the time Kuuga came out they probably had too much on their plate, and it didn't help that series was super violent when it came to suit fights. Plenty of footage they'd have had to reshoot, and they were already doing that with Power Rangers at that point. Plus after Time Force they sold everything.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 24, 2017

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RealFoxy posted:

There are American action shows that did alright with female leads over the years, but they're pretty far and few. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, iZombie. Those weren't aimed at children though.

I think this is another scenario where for these types of things to happen you've got to wait for the old people running things to retire or die out and hope the following generation does better.

So you're saying a lesbian african american and her non-binary afrolatin sidekick riding huge american musclebikes and fighting KKK members possessed by demonic nazis wouldn't do well?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't know how it would sell but I'd watch it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, but I didn't want to nestle a Jojos spoiler where people wouldn't be expecting it.

PMush Perfect posted:

I hadn't considered that! What if Bloodstalk is actually a Martian????

I'm only half-kidding.

It's definitely a possibility. Astronauts bring a box back from Mars, and when they open it, there's a bright light that shoots out and then a bunch of people's personalities appear to have changed dramatically? I think Martian ghosts possessing people are just as feasible as Pandora's Box just changing people's personalities to make them fight one another.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coconono posted:

So you're saying a lesbian african american and her non-binary afrolatin sidekick riding huge american musclebikes and fighting KKK members possessed by demonic nazis wouldn't do well?

I mean

That's not too dissimilar to the original Kamen Rider

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Caphi posted:

I don't know how it would sell but I'd watch it.

I think it'd hit the sweet spot between hobbyists and activist consumers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

coconono posted:

I would unironically watch the poo poo out of that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

Not to mention you've still got a lot of people thinking shows like that (and other attempts like VR Troopers, Beetleborgs and Syber Squad) are just Power Rangers "ripoffs" despite the source footage of a few of them actually predating or airing around the same time as Zyuranger and the only thing they really have in common is the fact that both feature costumed superheroes. I suppose it could still happen but not without a lot of work.
That's, uh, dated. Things that aren't Pokémon didn't succeed as well as Pokémon did in becoming a neverending beat of pop culture for the next 20 years, but Yu Gi Oh and Digimon did better than you'd think compared to the examples you listed above. As the streaming rights to stuff fractures away from Netflix/Hulu into a bunch of little incomplete services, you could possibly see one of them being interested in KR as a way to build a kids show. It would just have to rise above the anime niche and end up on something like actual Amazon Prime Video and not the lovely Anime Strike premium add-on.

Actually, Amazon is almost sort of the perfect partner for this sort of thing, not because of the deal already done for the two Amazons seasons (though I guess that's nice) but because they could probably deal with Bandai to be the exclusive toy retailer for a toy-driven thing on their streaming service.

Waffleman_ posted:

For all the rumor babbling about how much Ishinomori hated Masked Rider (often from the same Japan Experts that blame Saban for that Sailor Moon trailer) I think people forget that they were using the last episodes of a show that had been off the air for years and had no new episodes scheduled.

That show had no future.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 25, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

Nah, they're going to pull a twist where Sento is 100% Katsuragi, yet he decides to reject Katsuragi's reckless, brazen pursuit of scientific development and instead use science to save humanity as his own person and a Kamen Rider. They've really been pushing that whole duality with Sento and Katsuragi. The whole Katsuragi as an ambiguous villain could also be a misdirect and he was experimenting on humans to help everyone fight the impending Martian invasion or some such. Naturally, he was tricked into helping out Faust and they used him until he was no longer needed.

Blood Stalk's identity kind of torpedoes any guesses on where the series is ultimately going. It's weird because Night Rogue's identity was blatantly obvious from episode 1 but they're being very cagey (and hilariously so, like the awkward scene with Himuro's assistant dude) on Stalk. Maybe he really is a Martian!

Build is good. Pretty drat good. I'm loving Sento and Banjo as a team. They're so good playing off each other.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 25, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought it was too obvious for that guy to be night rogue so it must be someone else. the problem is, there aren't really any other characters who could be dramatically revealed as blood stalk aside from the cafe owner. i think the only other recurring character is the assistant, and he certainly doesn't seem inclined to go against rogue's orders. unless it is a future recurring character, it's gotta be either some random guy or the cafe owner despite how little sense that makes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

45 episodes into Agito and the Kamen Rider reveal is kinda wtf

So two dudes were beefing so hard one blew himself up to create Agitos as some kind of ultimate gently caress you to the other dude.

Oh ok.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i thought it was too obvious for that guy to be night rogue so it must be someone else. the problem is, there aren't really any other characters who could be dramatically revealed as blood stalk aside from the cafe owner. i think the only other recurring character is the assistant, and he certainly doesn't seem inclined to go against rogue's orders. unless it is a future recurring character, it's gotta be either some random guy or the cafe owner despite how little sense that makes.

Kamen Rider reveals are almost always the most obvious characters though, which is why Night Rogue had to be Himuro. Fourze was literally the only time Heisei Rider has pulled off a surprising twist like that. But Blood Stalk's "logical" identity as the cafe owner is total nonsense, so who knows where they're going unless it's a new character or someone like the Seito leader????

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blood Stalk is totally a new character, and that new character's importance outside of being Stalk is gonna be the twist.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Blood Stalk is Decade :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I managed to completely forget the advice over which Kamen Rider to start with, so gently caress it, I'm jumping straight into Ex-Aid.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I managed to completely forget the advice over which Kamen Rider to start with, so gently caress it, I'm jumping straight into Ex-Aid.
I haven't watched much of Ex-Aid but usually it's W/OOOs/Fourze + Drive for newer stuff, Kuuga/Aggito for 00s stuff, and Black/RX for Late 80's/90's stuff.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

haha

Yes.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

please liveblog your ex-aid watch please and thanks

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I thought the episode was done being good, and then Poppy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

NachtSieger posted:

please liveblog your ex-aid watch please and thanks

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man it's so weird to think about early ExAid reactions compared to where we're at now. I don't think anyone expected it to be Very Good, let alone So Good that we want other people to watch it and tell us about it. I love ExAid.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Ex Aid starts fairly benign and then aggressively grows on you.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

NachtSieger posted:

Blood Stalk is Decade :colbert:

Blood Stalk is Tetsuya Iwanaga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coq au Nandos posted:

Ex Aid starts fairly benign and then aggressively grows on you.

Basically. The first few episodes are a bit too gag-heavy for their own good, the designs are awful and they push toys as hard as Ghost did, but they're still watchable.

And then you hit Kiriya's death and suddenly the series levels up to amazing and never stops, with a fast-paced plot that's perfectly willing to change the status quo when needed and great character writing. And you even get accustomed to the awful designs, hell, you end up enjoying a few of the better ones (Zombie Genm).

And of course, Dan Kuroto.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm gonna (re)try ExAid after I get through the last few eps of Agito.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Basically. The first few episodes are a bit too gag-heavy for their own good, the designs are awful and they push toys as hard as Ghost did, but they're still watchable.

I'd be interested to know which designs you think are bad, because I found them fine if a bit quirky.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah I found the designs odd when they were first revealed, but I warmed to them a lot over the show. Though I've always been receptive to the goofier rider designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ep2 thoughts: Hiiro's kinda boring. I'm surprised there are already three riders in the mix!