Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So GBTC is trading at about 120% above NAV (which is as close to it as it's been for a long time). If it hits parity I'd be curious to see how well it actually starts tracking the value of BTC. Not enough to actually invest in it or anything, but still curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

So GBTC is trading at about 120% above NAV (which is as close to it as it's been for a long time). If it hits parity I'd be curious to see how well it actually starts tracking the value of BTC. Not enough to actually invest in it or anything, but still curious.

How have they been accounting for the forks?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

How have they been accounting for the forks?

Witch Magicks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'll never understand the stock markets. AMD just reported great earnings, but the stock drops 10% during afterhours.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Price movements (and stock prices in general) are about future business value, not current. Perhaps investors think AMD didn’t do well enough, and that bodes poorly for their future.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

DNK posted:

Price movements (and stock prices in general) are about future business value, not current. Perhaps investors think AMD didn’t do well enough, and that bodes poorly for their future.

Price movements are due to whatever reason buyers and sellers executed a transaction. The theory says that it should be due to future business value, but there is no economic law stating that to be the case.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Prices are ruled by the fears and hopes of men.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Prices are wholly dictated by dark magicks and the casting of goat entrails

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:devil::regd10::devil:Market Projections:devil::regd10::devil:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I closed my AMD short call position earlier today to prepare for (all that) upside too :smuggo: I'm guessing we get back to $14 pretty quick after some market makers bleed retail investors to abandon their shares

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'll never understand the stock markets. AMD just reported great earnings, but the stock drops 10% during afterhours.

its not complicated. udnerstand this one thing pls:

(FORWARD) GUIDANCE >>>>> EARNINGS

they had lovely guidance. "oh hi you own our stock? great. well, we did much better last quarter than you had guessed! :thumbsup: oh and also next year we're going to do wayi shittier than everyone thought, including ourselves.... its all going downhill from here lol :newlol: but pls rememebr that last quarter did Teh Beat :thumbsup:"

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
AMD bagholders what uppp. Think I’m going to press tomorrow

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
AAXN is also down after hours. Down more than 7% on fears of trouble with the SEC. It used to be that they only had to worry about wrongful death lawsuits for their TASER devices.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's important to remember how stocks are theoretically valued. Companies only have value because there is implied future earnings and growth. Future earnings and future growth of earnings are what you are paying for when you buy shares of a business, nothing more, nothing less.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Stocks are valued by the ratio of pumper to dumpers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hey Watson, you're loving up AIEQ.

(Actually, everything seems to have a dive according to the big indexes.)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Everything's on sale again :homebrew:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I attempted to put a trailing stop on my SPXL position but it executed after like 10 seconds anyway. :wtc:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AMZN and GOOGL reporting after the bell tomorrow. I expect AMZN to be slightly down because they don't care about profits and just reinvest/acquire, and GOOGL will be slightly up on a beat.

But what I'm personally interested is NTDOY after the bell today. It seems like Switch really has traction in a way that no console has since the Wii.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Josh Lyman posted:

But what I'm personally interested is NTDOY after the bell today. It seems like Switch really has traction in a way that no console has since the Wii.

Even the Wii stock rally ended before Christmas. It remains to be seen whether current price of ~$47 (up from ~$26 at Switch launch) is the peak. Down 3% today despite the announcement last night of a monetized Animal Crossing mobile app. The review embargo on the new Mario game lifts tomorrow. Earnings are on Monday. :shrug:

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

I've got enough AMD to write some sort of options contract (My cost is about $2.50 a share, yea I've had it a long time) - what would be the move if I think it would come back up to at least $14 in the next 5 weeks?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Sell the stock and buy all the calls you can. (You can and probably will lose all your money).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

LLCoolJD posted:

Even the Wii stock rally ended before Christmas. It remains to be seen whether current price of ~$47 (up from ~$26 at Switch launch) is the peak. Down 3% today despite the announcement last night of a monetized Animal Crossing mobile app. The review embargo on the new Mario game lifts tomorrow. Earnings are on Monday. :shrug:
Heh. Look at all of you guys. Expecting rational market reactions to company earnings announcements. :smug:

(Recently recovered from TSLA-induced PTSD after riding that Mr. Bones' Wild Ride for 2 years).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So much conflicting information on Nintendo's earnings date. Zack's says today, EarningsWhisper says next Wednesday, but https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/ says Monday.

Also bought back into SPXL 22 cents higher after the trailing stop fuckup. Didn't want to declare those gains this year but it is what it is.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 25, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

melon cat posted:

Heh. Look at all of you guys. Expecting rational market reactions to company earnings announcements. :smug:

On the contrary, I have no idea what the response to the earnings report will be, even if future guidance is strong. It only takes being burned once to learn that lesson.

And to the other poster's question, I'm of the understanding that earnings are announced on Monday (in Japan).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jack Daniels posted:

(FORWARD) GUIDANCE
What's your favorite way of researching/tracking this indicator? I know you're a finviz guy but I don't see it on there.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

quote:

Expecting rational market reactions to company earnings announcements.
"Rational" as a finance term does not mean "the market moves according to my personal investment thesis". A rational investor is someone who makes decisions with the intent that it will maximize their personal return.

Someone who buys Sears because he thinks the "bottom is in" is a rational investor. They may not be a good investor, but they are rational because they are trying to maximize value (albeit poorly).

Someone who gambles on penny stocks for the entertainment value rather than the return is irrational. They are participating in the market for reasons other than maximizing their personal return.

One of the burning debates in finance is how rational the market actually is. On the efficient market side of things, the theory is that most of the market is rational. On the behavioral side of things, most people would say it is irrational. I don't know the answer to it, but I do know that proponents on both sides still put the majority of their money into index funds; a strategy which derives from rational, efficient markets.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 25, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Buffalo Wild Wings up 20% in earnings. But I thought nobody was watching the NFL anymore???

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Get with the times gramps, they stream CSGO now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CloFan posted:

Get with the times gramps, they stream CSGO now

This...this is a joke right? How? Is it on TV or something now?

edit:
Oh, what the gently caress:
http://www.tbs.com/sports/eleague

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

This...this is a joke right? How? Is it on TV or something now?

I was watching it one day, they switch between players every 2 seconds like some kind of jittery heroin addict, it was impossible to follow. And I used to play a lot of CS.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should just make it 4 way split screen so you can finally not have to pretend to be looking at everyone else's screen in Perfect Dark Counter Strike.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The production value is great and it's very easy to follow. My 67 year old dad picked it up pretty fast. I've played a lot of CS.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think video games are making people buy bad wings. Hmm wait gamers have bad taste maybe they have found a market that will just mash anything down?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it finally time to invest in TWTR?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So long as you're not investing time or effort into TWTR then I say go for it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

So long as you're not investing time or effort into TWTR then I say go for it.
For sure I would only throw :10bux: at it and ignore until the next earnings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was making a joke about not using Twitter itself, mind you. I haven't even looked at it as an investment. It's had a pretty good day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was making a joke about not using Twitter itself, mind you. I haven't even looked at it as an investment. It's had a pretty good day.
In theory, TWTR should print money like FB and GOOGL, but management was always incompetent.

There has been a lot of turnover in the past 2 years leading to 3 straight quarters of decent earnings, so it seems the ship has been righted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So I get a sponsored tweet that tells me Kroger has potatoes on sale for 99 cents? I get that served up with a dad joke from my favorite dad.