Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

thebigcow posted:

Is that actual systemd, or one of the systemd-x projects that aren't really systemd and not necessary for systemd to be systemd and should probably have a different name?

systemd-resolverd, so the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it would be nice if the project dropped the awkward systemd- prefixes off those additional services, yes

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

customers who care about linux are the worst

unironcally agree

pram
Jun 10, 2001
systemd is a winning brand so I can understand wanting to ride its gilded coattails

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i imagine theres a significant fraction of "linux enthusiasts" who specifically gravitate towards things that are unpopular and complain about anything that gets to be too common or well-known

the ones that try a new tiling window manager every week and think init scripts are just fine, and who don't want things to be convenient, easy to use, or easy to understand

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Progressive JPEG posted:

i imagine theres a significant fraction of "linux enthusiasts" who specifically gravitate towards things that are unpopular and complain about anything that gets to be too common or well-known

the ones that try a new tiling window manager every week and think init scripts are just fine, and who don't want things to be convenient, easy to use, or easy to understand

os hipsters

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
the systemd-whatever stuff is great and does what it needs to do

its great that the systemd project ships "all of the userspace tools you need to boot and run a basic linux system" so you dont need a whole loving copy of BIND to have a local dNS cache for instance, and dont need to cobble together a dozen different projects to get basic stuff out of hte box: networking, restarting failed services, system logging, time syncing, managing locale ,handling devices (udev), console sessions, etc.

and the systemd-whatever tools can all be individually replaced if for some reason you want to

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how can it depend on daemons when it exists to manage said daemons?

"i must manage the daemons"

"no john, you are the daemons"

and then john was a cgroup

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

yeah, the desktop ricing people are some, it’s real. i3 is looked down upon lol. you can find them quick on image boards or reddit but probably better to just imagine. a custom setup can be “cool” to aid a workflow, or even as an end to itself if you want to play around with UI/UX, but a bunch of it is just cargo culting for cred. weird nerd identity politics here too, allowing some dumb poo poo like init systems to take on a broader meaning, like an attack on community. why do people take this personally, like how many of the grieved does this actually effect?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

it would be nice if the project dropped the awkward systemd- prefixes off those additional services, yes

alias bitch

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OldAlias posted:

yeah, the desktop ricing people are some, it’s real. i3 is looked down upon lol. you can find them quick on image boards or reddit but probably better to just imagine. a custom setup can be “cool” to aid a workflow, or even as an end to itself if you want to play around with UI/UX, but a bunch of it is just cargo culting for cred. weird nerd identity politics here too, allowing some dumb poo poo like init systems to take on a broader meaning, like an attack on community. why do people take this personally, like how many of the grieved does this actually effect?

https://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
is systemd killing networkmanager because oh GOD who decided wifi should be coupled to a system notification tray area applet and if your window system doesn't have one then tough luck pal hope you brought some cat 5

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is systemd killing networkmanager because oh GOD who decided wifi should be coupled to a system notification tray area applet and if your window system doesn't have one then tough luck pal hope you brought some cat 5

no, cause nmcli is a thing now

just use that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Condiv posted:

no, cause nmcli is a thing now

just use that

I still get flashbacks to the days when nmcli couldn’t do anything but print a list of connections, and also the networkmanager people refused to provide any offline documentation in their packages because it was all on the website you couldn’t read because your network wasn’t working

I haven’t had any networkmanager problems for years, but I will never forgive it and will rejoice when it is finally buried for good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

I still get flashbacks to the days when nmcli couldn’t do anything but print a list of connections, and also the networkmanager people refused to provide any offline documentation in their packages because it was all on the website you couldn’t read because your network wasn’t working

I haven’t had any networkmanager problems for years, but I will never forgive it and will rejoice when it is finally buried for good

i ain't gonna defend that tbf

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The last time I used (desktop) Linux and wifi together was when my NIC's manufacturer refused to update their binary driver for the 2.4 kernel. The tooling at the time? Ouch. VMs from then on, and I really feel like I didn't miss much. Things must actually work these days, given Android can typically join a network?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

after working with embedded Linux for a while I now no longer care what a Linux system uses so long as whatever bizarro system it has is documented

actually I lied it has to have vi on it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hobbesmaster posted:

after working with embedded Linux for a while I now no longer care what a Linux system uses so long as whatever bizarro system it has is documented

actually I lied it has to have vi on it

i feel like vi should be part of coreutils.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sapozhnik posted:

"i must manage the daemons"

"no john, you are the daemons"

and then john was a cgroup

emptyquotin but not emptyquotin

RFC2324 posted:

is it not? I thought vi was one of those things that you just expected to exist anywhere outside a "grub failed to load the os, have fun editing" hellscape.

also lol if i3 is no longer ricer territory.what am i now, a casual tiling wm user if i no longer wish to deal with awesome breaking everything every single release

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

it’s in busy box at least

unless you specifically configure it differently. I only ran into it once and it something that an end user was clearly never supposed to get a shell on. so fair play on your security through annoyance I guess

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it’ll be a funny day when I break into an embedded system and it doesn’t have vi but it has pico

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

is it not? I thought vi was one of those things that you just expected to exist anywhere outside a "grub failed to load the os, have fun editing" hellscape.

it's there on every full install of *nix I've ever touched, but it's not in coreutils.

i don't have a linux box handy to do a lookup on, but i did just search through a listing of the coreutils commands and it wasn't listed

edit: in both rhel family and arch it comes from the vim-minimal package.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 26, 2017

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
vi is required by posix so it’ll be there by default on pretty much any linux that’s intended to be used as a linux. this is the one reason it’s worth learning some of the basic vi commands despite it being 2017 not 1977.

all bets are off if the linux is an implementation detail of some kind of embedded thing though

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i''ve been trying to run containers in production this week and docker is such an awful snowflake. i wish systemd-nspawn had taken off

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Soricidus posted:

vi is required by posix so it’ll be there by default on pretty much any linux that’s intended to be used as a linux. this is the one reason it’s worth learning some of the basic vi commands despite it being 2017 not 1977.

all bets are off if the linux is an implementation detail of some kind of embedded thing though

vi is built into busybox which for those of you lucky enough to not be immediately triggered is a single binary minimal Linux user space intended for embedded applications. it’s got a bunch of poo poo built in like a dash (lol) implementation and among other things a vi which when I used it didn’t have features like “undo”.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Phobeste posted:

vi is built into busybox which for those of you lucky enough to not be immediately triggered is a single binary minimal Linux user space intended for embedded applications. it’s got a bunch of poo poo built in like a dash (lol) implementation and among other things a vi which when I used it didn’t have features like “undo”.

busybox's vi is trash - lots of basic things don't work (yanking, word skip, undo, etc), it's the single worst thing about the busybox userspace IMO

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Poopernickel posted:

busybox's vi is trash - lots of basic things don't work (yanking, word skip, undo, etc), it's the single worst thing about the busybox userspace IMO

pretty sure all of those things work on latest busybox?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

i''ve been trying to run containers in production this week and docker is such an awful snowflake. i wish systemd-nspawn had taken off

docker is a good prototyping tool for building the image but running dockerd in any kind of production setting is gonna be a mess, hope u have infinite disk and hope ur containers don't need consistently functioning networking lol

about a year ago mesos added a feature allowing you to completely cut out dockerd by just running docker images in the native mesos runtime

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats why people use a scheduler you dolt

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

not if you don’t configure it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

my stepdads beer posted:

same, but also rpm-ostree

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this thread is very good for reminding myself that i have done good in never having gotten into the position of having to janitor a system professionally

you guys should strive to get out of it too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this thread is very good for reminding myself that i have done good in never having gotten into the position of having to janitor a system professionally

you guys should strive to get out of it too.

congratulations on getting to make messes that other ppl are forced to clean up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when i started in industry i resented having to enter tickets for the services/infrastructure people to "do x", and figured all would be better if i could just have done x myself. but i have since realized that this is the sweetest deal in the world.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Progressive JPEG posted:

docker is a good prototyping tool for building the image but running dockerd in any kind of production setting is gonna be a mess, hope u have infinite disk and hope ur containers don't need consistently functioning networking lol

about a year ago mesos added a feature allowing you to completely cut out dockerd by just running docker images in the native mesos runtime

yeah, mesos is p nice

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Poopernickel posted:

my knowledge of vi:

i(type some poo poo)
esc:wq

so this sounds extremely needs suiting to me

also if you know more vi than that there might be something wrong with you

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

BobHoward posted:

my knowledge of vi:

i(type some poo poo)
esc:wq

so this sounds extremely needs suiting to me

:same:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

vs code doesn't make me type i to start typing text

and I can hit the x in the corner to close it

doesn't run on a terminal tho

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BobHoward posted:

Besides old age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

Finally busybox lets me yank it