Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Sadly for Sebastian he's been living with Beacons every day since he got out. STEM just makes it more visceral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think you're supposed to hit those multi-headed guys in the raw red bits and not the dead blue bits. The slow head doesn't actually have any red on it, you need to hit the butt somehow. Or maybe the midsection?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Sebastian and O'Neal exchanges are amazing every time. Sebastian has clearly had enough of sci-fi bullshit and thinks the entire premise is absurd, and O'Neal is an admitted self-interested coward with hints of some gallows humour.

Though if this is implying that Sebastian is having the same warping effect on the STEM environment as the crazy camera guy is, does that mean Sebastian is going to get superpowers, too?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

I think you're supposed to hit those multi-headed guys in the raw red bits and not the dead blue bits. The slow head doesn't actually have any red on it, you need to hit the butt somehow. Or maybe the midsection?

I think the slow form is there to let you put some distance between them and yourself since the red one seems to move faster than you can sprint. So basically hit the red side, run away, line up another shot, wait for it to switch sides. Rinse, repeat.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm tired of missing shots that are straight-on so let's do something about it.

14: Timely (Aim) Assistance/Polsy

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

The Sebastian and O'Neal exchanges are amazing every time. Sebastian has clearly had enough of sci-fi bullshit and thinks the entire premise is absurd, and O'Neal is an admitted self-interested coward with hints of some gallows humour.

Though if this is implying that Sebastian is having the same warping effect on the STEM environment as the crazy camera guy is, does that mean Sebastian is going to get superpowers, too?

Well, he does absorb the raw essence of the dead in order to become stronger, faster and more capable...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
My #1 hope for making this game complete is that Joseph and Ruvik somehow make a return.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aim assist is an option separate from difficulty, huh?

I kind of like the idea of difficulty as a series of mutators rather than a global setting, though you'd have to either introduce them gradually like Bastion or attach them to something that was supposed to be complicated from the beginning, like Forza.

I'd kind of like all those maps you found, of the town and the Marrow, to update your automap, the same way finding a map would in Silent Hill. Then you can annotate it later with what's really going on. But that might be too exact a ripoff.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 27, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

PurpleXVI posted:

I hope so, you'd think after this much experience with dreamland bullshit, he'd have earned it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sebastian: Apex Predator.

15: Cut That Out/Polsy

I really am curious as to whether Beacon is leaking into Union because of Sebastian and I'm very interested to find out if it's true. Next week I'll actually be able to spend more time playing the game wooooo

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

We know they took Leslie and Joseph from Beacon in the first game. If they used anything from Leslie in building this STEM, "completely new" or not, that could have been a port for Beacon-esque elements to leak in.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing that remains from the first game is that they keep changing it up. Chases to pure stealth to open-world explore action-y stealth to actiony action to suddenly first-person tension stealth stuff.

I like this a lot.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

We know they took Leslie and Joseph from Beacon in the first game. If they used anything from Leslie in building this STEM, "completely new" or not, that could have been a port for Beacon-esque elements to leak in.

Wait, I though Leslie was taken over by Ruvik and walked out, or was that's Sebastian's imagination at the end of TEW1?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

dscruffy1 posted:

Sebastian: Apex Predator.

15: Cut That Out/Polsy

I really am curious as to whether Beacon is leaking into Union because of Sebastian and I'm very interested to find out if it's true. Next week I'll actually be able to spend more time playing the game wooooo

Man I loved that first person section. Holy poo poo that was great.

At the same time. gently caress you falling corpse I almost gouged my eye out in surprise Jesus loving Christ

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
After watching these LPs, I can not look at STEM the same way again.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'd definitely have blasted that rat with a shotgun in panic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

Wait, I though Leslie was taken over by Ruvik and walked out, or was that's Sebastian's imagination at the end of TEW1?

It's really heavily implied, just not confirmed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I expect even the gear action on that crossbow might have been enough spark to blow the whole place sky-high.

Early stealth seems to have been quite beneficial to you, though. I like that it lets you knock some health off of the big guys rather than killing them outright too.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Glazius posted:

I expect even the gear action on that crossbow might have been enough spark to blow the whole place sky-high.

It's probably more because the game can't mandate certain ammo types, and Shock/Explosive Bolts would be... bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could do it in The Evil Within 1! Shooting normal and freeze crossbow bolts in that mannequin factory was okay, but electric/explosive bolts would still blow you up. I think the problem here was that they took the easy solution and just made you able to fire nothing because coding that was easier than "if you fire anything that's not on this list, you blow up".

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Say, there's melee damage upgrades right? Do you think getting those would increase the sneak kill damage?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Cador_2004 posted:

Say, there's melee damage upgrades right? Do you think getting those would increase the sneak kill damage?

That would make sense but someone on YouTube pointed out that's not the case. They do point out that sneak kills can't kill everything, so that's fair.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

You can play the entire game in first person mode if you want- it works really well.

(the video at that link has a few spoilers for bosses and areas that show up later.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inferior posted:

You can play the entire game in first person mode if you want- it works really well.

(the video at that link has a few spoilers for bosses and areas that show up later.)

:eyepop: Well I know what I'm doing on my next stream! Playing the first game in first person was quite a treat too (if quite clunky) and it's neat that the gas sewer segment inadvertently created an 'officially supported' fps mode!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I do most of the shooting gallery stuff off-camera because it took me a while to get it right. I didn't manage to get Very Hard gallery done but it's good stuff. Very Hard gallery is extremely difficult. It's very hard, if you will.

16: The Gallery and Faceoff/Polsy

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

dscruffy1 posted:

shooting gallery
:allears: I wonder what everyone else would have to say if they could see this part of Sebastian's head.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Psycho Mantis would have a field day.

SOOO, YOU LIKE RESIDENT EVIL, DO YOU?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

Did they really reference this?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing that surprises me is how rarely you use the climb prompts. In any sort of horror game I always like to climb on top of as much stuff as possible so I can see bad guys coming from a distance. :v:

I also don't know how good the shambly dorks are at negotiating heights, it feels like they should suck at it.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

PurpleXVI posted:

One thing that remains from the first game is that they keep changing it up. Chases to pure stealth to open-world explore action-y stealth to actiony action to suddenly first-person tension stealth stuff.

I like this a lot.

Yeah, I think that's the main theme of these games, and a horror element that should be explored more in games. For Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Siren or Fatal Frame games, the plot may go to uncomfortable places or you may meet unkillable enemies or be surprised by encounters, but at least the world is consistent and the gameplay is something you can master. The Evil Within games lull you into a false sense of security and then pull the rug out from under you. Sometimes by introducing weird glitches or areas with other types of gameplay, but most deviously by letting you think you have figured the game out and then introducing exceptions from the rules. The sequel's world seems a LITTLE more consistent so far, but then again we don't have the same mystery as the old one, and already know you're stuck in a shared dream computer simulation where anything can happen.

Love the tone change in the shooting gallery with nursey's slow clapping, sardonic quips and referencing stuff like the Karate Kid theme.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Sadly for Sebastian he's been living with Beacons every day since he got out. STEM just makes it more visceral.

A Bad Case of the Beacons - Let's Play The Evil Within 2

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For a second I thought City Hall turned into Beacon for a second, but that's just restoring that collapsed tower.

Did you find that extra med pouch or did jumping into the boss fight lock it off from you?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

For a second I thought City Hall turned into Beacon for a second, but that's just restoring that collapsed tower.

Did you find that extra med pouch or did jumping into the boss fight lock it off from you?

He found it before the boss fight.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Are you ready to ART?!?!

17: Art Appreciation Day/Polsy

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Watching you run by that painting over and over and not look at it was kinda painful

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I took another look at CJacobs' stream again to see if he used the environmental stuff to fight the boss. He did that and explored the basement (other than a few additional supplies, it's entirely optional).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think it's also cool that the game is willing to just go for so long without throwing zombies at you over and over just to keep your interest.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
You know, something's been bugging me about Sebastian's animations--namely, when you're running (but not sprinting), he seems to be moving about half as fast as his animation would suggest. Is that from only partially tilting the control stick, or is that really his top speed when you aren't holding the sprint button?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
His jogging speed changes dynamically based on where you are- it's fastest out in the open world, slower when you're indoors, slowest when you're in a safe area... but the animation speed doesn't change to match. It's a bit half-baked and I'm really not sure why they bothered, I don't think the first game does that.

Also, I can't remember if Scruffy has noticed it yet, but your stamina regenerates a little slower when you're around enemies and far slower when you're being pursued (noted by Seb looking frantically behind him and stumbling while you're running). It is a very crappy design decision and it's nearly the only mechanic I don't really care for.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Also, I can't remember if Scruffy has noticed it yet, but your stamina regenerates a little slower when you're around enemies and far slower when you're being pursued (noted by Seb looking frantically behind him and stumbling while you're running). It is a very crappy design decision and it's nearly the only mechanic I don't really care for.

They mention in a tooltip during loading screens that Sebastian's stamina decreases faster while sprinting away from enemies, which kinda makes sense? I generally forget to use sprinting for going through the world because I'm afraid of making noise.

• Locked thread