Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

haveblue posted:

There have been signs all throughout the season that he's not really a manipulative genius and that his schtick has only worked so far because the people he used it on were broken and desperate and receptive and he has the natural charisma of a sociopath. They're probably going to complete the Trump parable more or less the way it seems to be going in real life- in the end all he can do is self-gratify and the cult falls apart when they collectively realize none of them are going to get what they originally wanted. He can suppress this for a while by intimidating and killing people, but that won't work forever, and he's already lost several important resources (his in with the police, his propagandist).

He promised Beverly equal power because he intuited it was what she needed to hear at that moment to say yes, and then probably forgot immediately and didn't realize she would take it far more seriously.

But that's what annoys me about it. Despite how conveniently broken and easily manipulated the members are (Samuels had rock music blaring during sex and nazi paraphernalia for goodness sake,) his schtick still has worked. He has the power of the media, the police, he's on city council, and he has a mini-militia of "dudebro" drones now. And the only reason it's being threatened is because he's making the women serve as second class citizens in his utopia.

I mean, BeBe actually was working for him, and riled up the women with SCUM talk at his behest. What was the point of that? And we still don't know what the deal is with torturing Ally and then bringing her into the fold.

I'm hoping it's a case of simply not knowing Kai's ultimate plan yet. I just don't want this season to devolve into a series of illogical, plot-convenient events, as practically every other season has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

She doesn't need to be cured, they just need to be convinced that she is not an immediate threat to herself or others. They don't keep you locked up against your will indefinitely just for having mental health issues these days.

Yea, sounded like a definite 3 week hold in the nuthouse, make sure she's not a danger to herself or others. She might even have kept her 'being cured' from the hospital and just played along denying and faking in order to get through it and get out- if being able to get Ozy back is dependent on not being crazy, that's a pretty good incentive to keep it down, go along to get along, and get out to show that she's not THAT crazy
Obviously she had something in mind when inviting Kai to dinner. The way she presented herself once alone with him, Kai is nuts enough to take that as a sign that they've broken her. While she may still be a threat to him, if he thinks she's now further unhinged enough, then if he can get her on his side he can use her for.... some end game? Either totally break her(keep your enemies closer) or turn her against the others that he's now seeing as a threat.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This season started off so bad, like cringe pull my hair out bad, but now it's so good, like pull my hair out so good

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

This season started off so bad, like cringe pull my hair out bad, but now it's so good, like pull my hair out so good

I liked it mostly because it knew exactly what it was doing. It was purposely having characters say things that made your eyes roll so fast they risked blasting out of your head, but it was going for comedic satire out of the gate. It took a few minutes to fall into the unusual groove it was setting though.

As it stands so far this is probably easily in the top 3 seasons of the show, which is pretty impressive for a 7th season. I just hope it's not bombing with the ratings.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I can't decide if it edges out Murder House for me or falls just under it. Right now my ranking's roughly: Asylum > Cult (=?) Murder House > Roanoke > Hotel >>> Coven > Freak Show

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I can't decide if it edges out Murder House for me or falls just under it. Right now my ranking's roughly: Asylum > Cult (=?) Murder House > Roanoke > Hotel >>> Coven > Freak Show

Honestly Freak Show was boring but at least it was somewhat coherent. I've said it before and will say it again, Coven is masterclass train wreck TV for me; I may have bitched during other seasons but Coven was a full on hate-watch experience.

That said, it was actually kind of amazing at that. It takes a lot to be ranked side-by-side with Heroes Season 3 as the most incoherent television ever made and it does it in spades; the show can't go about 5 minutes without shooting it's own plot in the foot. So I guess I could see it being ranked not at the bottom if the sheer shitshow was the entertainment value, because it sure had that going.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

King Vidiot posted:

I think Murder House comes out on top for me just because when it comes to horror a haunted house is more my jam than "people are awful".

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

While I know Ivy is the butcher, I was totally expecting the "manwich" to be made out of Vincent. :burger:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Is the FX live stream muted for anybody else? I've tried a couple browsers and confirmed that my headphones work on other windows and stuff but still nothing.

This one: http://www.fxnetworks.com/live-tv/fx/eastern

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
If the Jim Jones reminders this episode have been any indication, making Kai value Oz more might be a really dangerous move, Ally.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rewatching the beginning (with sound now), anybody else notice how many times they use that "dramatic bass drum/echoey bass drop" sound effect after somebody says something *so devastating*. They used it like 3 times in as many minutes during Ally and Ivy's scene before Ozy gets there.

EDIT: Oh there's another one after "loving my wife?" GOOOoohhhh...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh gently caress yes, my Halloween ep prediction was true! And on actual Halloween!

'tis a gay Hallokween miracle!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
That Jesus scene was hilarious

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This episode was great. If the next two episodes somehow don't falter, this may be the most consistent season of the show yet.

I think Conroy is back next episode, too!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

As long as the ending isn't terrible I think this'll be a top 2 season for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's definitely up there with Asylum and Murder House for me even if it tanks the ending. If it sticks the landing, though, it may surpass.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is a great season, only 2 more episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's a bit slapdash with the plotting -- e.g. the therapist's death felt very much like one of those cases where the writers realised the character was extraneous to the season, and I think you can suggest the same of Colton Hayne's cop -- but that's most television. It's still hugely entertaining, and often pretty good. Definitely not as good as Asylum, but it's neck-and-neck with Roanoke for me.

(AKA, the only two seasons, other than this one, that'd I'd actually recommend somebody.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not even Murder House? Cold ...

How can you not recommend Connie Britton eating a brain in the most serious fashion? I think that season balanced camp and spooks well. The reveal with Taissa Farmiga's character is still one of the best sequences in the series.

Otherwise yeah, I agree with you. Cult's not quite Asylum good, but if they end it well it will be close. Asylum has the innate advantage of Lily Rabe, though, and Lange before Murphy feeding her the same archetype every year got tired. Also, like, a handful of scenes with Clea Duvall. And Frances Conroy's Death. And establishing the Paulson v Lange gold. And The Name Game.

gently caress, Asylum is good.

Now, I would recommend Coven, but only to the people closest to me who have the same sense of humour as me. That season is pure camp schlock with zero purpose or real direction, but I love it for how exceptionally gay it is despite like no gay characters.

I would recommend Hotel to similar people. It's basically Coven if Coven had a beginning, middle and end.

Freak Show actively put me to sleep more than once 6/10 and only because of Finn Wittrock, Frances Conroy, and the hilarious snuff film origin story ft. Danny Huston. Would not rec.

You guys I think I love every season tho

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

Not even Murder House? Cold ...

How can you not recommend Connie Britton eating a brain in the most serious fashion? I think that season balanced camp and spooks well. The reveal with Taissa Farmiga's character is still one of the best sequences in the series.

Don't get me wrong, Murder House has some great stuff. In terms of scares, it's got some pretty good stuff going on (the episode where Azura Sky randomly tries to break into Connie Britton's house is pretty good, as is the first undead Kate Mara episode). On the other hand it's got Taissa Farmiga (bad) and Dylan McDermott (starts great, ends up phoning it in), only both at the same time. They're such a drag.

On the other hand, it also my first real exposure to Lilly Rabe, so I can't knock it too badly.

(Oh, and it has Martha Huber as that totally ridiculous real estate lady who you know is totally in on how haunted the house is. And that amazingly awful baby doctor who seems to spend half her time trying to upset her patients. "DEATH! BIRTH! SELLING HOUSES!" She was gloriously terrible. It's all coming back to me now.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah. Murder House is great!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think it's a bit slapdash with the plotting -- e.g. the therapist's death felt very much like one of those cases where the writers realised the character was extraneous to the season, and I think you can suggest the same of Colton Hayne's cop -- but that's most television. It's still hugely entertaining, and often pretty good. Definitely not as good as Asylum, but it's neck-and-neck with Roanoke for me.

(AKA, the only two seasons, other than this one, that'd I'd actually recommend somebody.)

Speaking of extra to the plot and never seen again what happened to the chemicalspray trucks and workers? Did they serve any real purpose? A little bit of fire on the gaslight for Aly sure, but that's about it. They were pretty early too, so its not like Kai had any pull on the council for city works trucks, and you cant really just hide 2-3 big light up tanker trucks in the attic until you need them

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

timp posted:

Rewatching the beginning (with sound now), anybody else notice how many times they use that "dramatic bass drum/echoey bass drop" sound effect after somebody says something *so devastating*. They used it like 3 times in as many minutes during Ally and Ivy's scene before Ozy gets there.

EDIT: Oh there's another one after "loving my wife?" GOOOoohhhh...

I'm like 70% sure that sound effect was a firstcom sting.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Getting a kick out of the episode titles this season. Somebody earlier mentioned that the finale is Great Again, but Charles (Manson) in Charge tickles me greatly. Peters' credit line for the season just keeps getting better!

*Evan Peters as Kai Anderson, Andy Warhol, Marshall Applewhite, David Koresh, Jim Jones, and Jesus[a]

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I'm the opposite of everyone here in that I enjoyed this season less as it went on instead of more. I enjoyed all the weirdness in the beginning and now that the curtain has been pulled back I'm disappointed. I guess a blue-haired 4-channer doesn't really make a credible villain to me or something.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Kai seemed a lot more ominous in early episodes and I thought this would pull back to the national scale or something. But I don’t quite see how that would work out, unless we got some serious time jumps in the next two weeks.

I liked him more as a bigger threat but peeling him back to show the idiot manchild underneath is also satisfying.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

bad day posted:

I liked him more as a bigger threat but peeling him back to show the idiot manchild underneath is also satisfying.

Yeah, I don't get how you could not like how pathetic he seems now. The whole point of his character is that he, like every cult leader, is pathetic and broken and preys on and victimizes other pathetic and broken people.

I'm more afraid of Kai's Hitler Youth bro-army in the blue shirts than I am of Kai himself now.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Gotta be honest, I'm coming back down to Earth like Jesus. I know this show, I know they tank the ending. I see Kai becoming more and more relaxed and Ally becoming more and more competent. I see important characters dropping like flies, like the therapist and Ivy, and I see Bev and Winter being next. I see the happy ending where everybody but Ally and Oz are dead and they ride into the sunset (and then we catch a glimpse of Oz on his laptop looking up the Dark Web to end the season.)

Now, I will admit that the reveal of Kai being Oz's father blew me away. Made total sense as to why he targeted Ally specifically. Granted, it was a lie and totally discredits Kai at this point, but I didn't see it coming. This season has been pretty good at making you go "oooooooh." And if it's about the journey and not the destination, then it's succeeded more than most seasons.

Man, Ivy is dumb though. I saw that poisoning so far away I felt like Sarah Palin.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kai isn't actually his father. It was another man in the file, and Ally had the lady at the clinic mock up a new file with Kai's picture.

e: oh you already said he isn't, I think

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

Kai isn't actually his father. It was another man in the file, and Ally had the lady at the clinic mock up a new file with Kai's picture.

e: oh you already said he isn't, I think

Yeah she basically called him on his bluff and he seemed to have bought it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think it wasn't so much a bluff as Kai wasn't yet sure himself, but yeah she played him.

Like it would have been more of a bluff if he wasn't even a donor at that clinic.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

I think it wasn't so much a bluff as Kai wasn't yet sure himself, but yeah she played him.

Like it would have been more of a bluff if he wasn't even a donor at that clinic.

Yeah yeah, u right.

I half expected Kai to immediately call her on it because he knew it was a lie, but I can also totally believe that, even if he wasn't really sure himself, he wanted to believe it, so he did. Either that, or he totally knows and he's playing her right back.

Who the gently caress knows with this show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Speaking of extra to the plot and never seen again what happened to the chemicalspray trucks and workers? Did they serve any real purpose? A little bit of fire on the gaslight for Aly sure, but that's about it. They were pretty early too, so its not like Kai had any pull on the council for city works trucks, and you cant really just hide 2-3 big light up tanker trucks in the attic until you need them

Meadow explained that: the trucks were just holding water, there never were any dangerous chemicals. They killed the birds with poisoned bird feeders. (Presumably getting rat poison for the bird feeders was easier and less traceable than aquiring barrels of sprayable pesticide.) The idea was to spread more irrational fear throughout the town, not just to Ally.

There was probably just the one truck, really. They could spray a bit, and then once a few witnesses had seen them they could turn off the lights and drive to a neighbourhood across town. Do that a few times and you'd get reports from all over town within an hour, giving the illusion of multiple trucks.

They'd still need to buy, rent, or borrow at least one truck. Probably bought a secondhand truck cheap, it didn't have to work well after all. Or maybe the grocer had a flatbed truck they could modify. Then it's just a matter of painting it black and pasting on a few battery operated LED strip lights (you can buy those in the dollar store). Maybe some dry ice to make it look more menacing.

If they bought one used it looks like that would be doable for under 20 grand. And they would be able to get most of the money back by reselling it when they were done.
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...ss8&condition=U

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Alright Facebook Aunt, welcome to the cult.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Kai says, "Holy shitballs. I'm loving awesome. I literally spoke this into existence .... I'm a daddy!"

That seemingly suggests that it was a flat out lie that he was Oz's father, and that he's truly gone off the deep end, believing the power of his words actually made it come ture, when really it's just Ally tricking him.

If that's the case, it really kills any kind of credibility he has left. He lied during pinky power, he's blind to Ally tricking him, and he's getting drunk on the idea of a messiah baby. This is where it goes from smart, to simply crazy. And guys who do so much based on how smart they are and then let it fall apart because they go crazy, don't make for good characters in the end.

I guess this could be another grand three-steps-ahead scheme where Ally does exactly what he thinks she will (he did keep eating the Manwich after all.) Maybe he donated to the clinic and took a guess, not knowing for sure. But they're really painting him as just crazy, which is what I was afraid of.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Him being as crazy and delusional as any other cult leader is the point, imo. Getting complacent/drunk on his power will be his downfall like many of them.

I've been waiting for him to falter all season, personally. Where else is this supposed to go, with two episodes left?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

OmegaBR posted:

If that's the case, it really kills any kind of credibility he has left. He lied during pinky power, he's blind to Ally tricking him, and he's getting drunk on the idea of a messiah baby. This is where it goes from smart, to simply crazy. And guys who do so much based on how smart they are and then let it fall apart because they go crazy, don't make for good characters in the end.

I guess this could be another grand three-steps-ahead scheme where Ally does exactly what he thinks she will (he did keep eating the Manwich after all.) Maybe he donated to the clinic and took a guess, not knowing for sure. But they're really painting him as just crazy, which is what I was afraid of.

I think his character is a pretty perfect portrayal of a cult leader, even if he's meant to be a parody. Typical cult leaders aren't necessarily really bright and eloquent or even consistent in their speeches. They can get people to go along with the silliest of ideas, and pull mythos out of their rear end that contradicts what they said the day before. Charles Manson claimed that the Beatles' white album was sacred text about a forthcoming race war called "Helter Skelter" that would be won by black people who would then pick Manson as their leader.

Still, it's up in the air who is tricking who until the final credits. I like the thought of Ally becoming assertive and taking revenge by playing Kai as a fiddle, but this season has already played the card several times of someone appearing to turn the tables on him and then getting screwed over.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

I just caught up on this season on Halloween. I remember right after I watched Asylum, before Coven poo poo the bed and my AHS expectation dropped down to later Dexter levels, there were two specific themes I wanted out of the show: A season with Evan Peters as Charles Manson and an Area 51/X-Files/UFO season. Turns out one of those theoretical ideas actually got picked up and it is the best season since Asylum. This is loving great.

I genuinely winced and closed my eyes during the gimp murder. My hope for the ending is that the season subverts the AHS happy ending and Kai is the last one left. The line about him wanting to be the last one living while the world burns is really the imagery undergirding the actual horror of living under a sociopathic president with a melting brain and a reverse Oedipal complex, and this season has been so pitch-perfect on capturing the post-2016 zeitgeist.

I've got fingers crossed we'll get an actual AHS Manson appearance by the end.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OmegaBR posted:

Kai says, "Holy shitballs. I'm loving awesome. I literally spoke this into existence .... I'm a daddy!"

That seemingly suggests that it was a flat out lie that he was Oz's father, and that he's truly gone off the deep end, believing the power of his words actually made it come ture, when really it's just Ally tricking him.

I assumed he really had been a sperm donor at some point before Oz's conception, why not? Obviously he was lying about knowing what happened to his specimens after that, because at the time he was a normal student and didn't really give a gently caress. He wanted beer money, not progeny.

The reason he knew what clinic they'd used was that Winter found their file on their donor, because of course she'd use her liberty in the house to look at their private papers, snap pictures of anything interesting, and pass it all onto Kai. The details of the donor were a close match to Kai, who probably doesn't remember exactly what he put on the application form. That gave him the idea that while it was unlikely he could be the donor, and the mothers would have no way to prove he wasn't.

By the time he sees the fake file he's been huffing his own farts so long that he believes it must be true, no matter how unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's what happens with the majority of cult leaders. They often start out as intelligent, rational people.

Next thing you know, they're drilling a hole in a woman's skull and having a circlejerk into it with their followers because they genuinely believe they have the power to raise the dead that way.

• Locked thread