Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All caught up now. Of course you jerks didn't like Marcus goddamn you all are the worst

I really hope this Cartman/Heidi thing pays off at the end of the season with something really lovely happening to Cartman cause she is way too nice of a character for him to be so mean to

Then I hope Heidi sticks around cause I like her character :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I loved it! Not nearly as funny as the last episode, but it was fun. And it had me guessing who the witches were until the end.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Heidi's dad should be in more episodes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm not a fan of season 20, but there were a few things I liked like Heidi and Cartman. Incidentally, do all the boys have a love interest at this point?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

"Macaluso" posted:

I really hope this Cartman/Heidi thing pays off at the end of the season with something really lovely happening to Cartman cause she is way too nice of a character for him to be so mean to

Heidi is the worst. Cartman missed the petting zoo!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Heidi is a demon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Trey and Matt didn’t like season 20 because Trump winning hosed up their plans. I’m enjoying this season more so far. Last night’s episode was good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm not a fan of season 20, but there were a few things I liked like Heidi and Cartman. Incidentally, do all the boys have a love interest at this point?

Butters and his Canadian girlfriend broke up in the episode where Butters kept pulling his dick out.

Nashlogic
Oct 22, 2010
I didn't get the whole bent pits thing Kyle was talking about. Was that a reference to something?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Macaluso posted:

All caught up now. Of course you jerks didn't like Marcus goddamn you all are the worst

Then I hope Heidi sticks around cause I like her character :shobon:

Cartman hasn't gotten his proper comeuppance yet despite all the evil poo poo he has pulled. I mean, after 20 seasons we can only hope he gets run over by s train repeatedly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just caught the episode. I really liked the Indiana Jones-esque take down of the witch.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nashlogic posted:

I didn't get the whole bent pits thing Kyle was talking about. Was that a reference to something?

That part came from this Google Books entry, but still doesn't explain what a bent pit is.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I dunno guys I'm pretty sure if I was in cartman's position I would try and kill her too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cartman's suffering is deserved and yet relatable. People who have no respect for other people's time are the worst, I was raised by one. (I dunno about it being a woman thing, since I've known plenty of women who get their poo poo together ASAP and are usually the ones bugging me to get ready)

The metaphor was pretty confused. Also I bet we're going to get people having real Witch Weeks now.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Cartman's suffering is deserved and yet relatable. People who have no respect for other people's time are the worst, I was raised by one. (I dunno about it being a woman thing, since I've known plenty of women who get their poo poo together ASAP and are usually the ones bugging me to get ready)

The metaphor was pretty confused. Also I bet we're going to get people having real Witch Weeks now.

Jack and crack? sign me the gently caress up

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Unlike last week which was closer to classic SP, this episode just kinda sucked. I still don't know what they were really trying to say with the witch stuff. You could probably project a lot of current events onto it, so it just ended up vague. They also bring in Garrison/Trump and handle him with kid gloves (he ends up saving the day like a badass) and the Heidi poo poo with "girls be takin' forever to get ready, am I right guys???" is eye-rollingly dated, like they had a 90s stand-up comedian write that part.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought for sure Garrison was going to fly in and side with the bros. Like give a speech and say "There are some fine folks in that coven" and then leave, and the boys have to kill the homicidal witch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just want episodes to be centered on Kyle, Stan, Cartman, and Kenny/Butters again.
Too many of these new eps are either the parents, side characters, or Cartman only. They're missing the straight-man in comedy who points out the absurdity of the wacky characters, so all we have left are the selfish weirdos taking up all the airtime.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
They did crack cause back in the day Mr. Garrison would gently caress them all is that it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mraagvpeine posted:

Not Kyle, as Cartman kindly pointed out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, so who were the witches? I thought it was obvious at the end, but poking around the internet, everyone has their own take.

my 2 cents:

At first, I thought that it was about the Vegas shooting: "good" gun owners vs mass murderers.

Then I thought it was about Harvey Weinstein, and "not ALL men".

And then at the end, I thought it was a parody of Republicans: "you guys pretended to be evil monsters for so long, and now Trump has come along and actually *IS* those horrible things you pretended to be, so you created him."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
None of them and also all of them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Also the "joke" about not saying witch hunt, but pursuit wasn't even really a joke, but apparently they thought it was funny enough to repeat like 10-15 times.

Edit:

basic hitler posted:

Because this is matt and trey, none of those except maybe weinstein fits.
Then they gave a "clue" when the men complained that the bad witch went after kids, which was apparently the red line that was crossed. Unfortunately, this doesn't line up with any recent scandal, so I was just more confused.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 27, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, so who were the witches? I thought it was obvious at the end, but poking around the internet, everyone has their own take.

my 2 cents:

At first, I thought that it was about the Vegas shooting: "good" gun owners vs mass murderers.

And then at the end, I thought it was a parody of Republicans: "you guys pretended to be evil monsters for so long, and now Trump has come along and actually *IS* those horrible things you pretended to be, so you created him."

Because this is matt and trey, none of those except maybe weinstein fits.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's about white people

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the Cartman/Heidi subplot was really funny and was pretty baffled to find that a majority of people talking about the episode online seem to assume for better or worse that Matt and Trey intend us to sympathize with Cartman and be annoyed with Heidi. :|

In any case this is my second-fave episode of the season so far, after Put It Down. It just got better and better over the course of its runtime.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Not every episode has to be satirizing a specific recent event. I assumed it was talking about modern witch-hunts in general, and how when one member of a group does something wrong, the rest will focus on trying to protect their own image rather than helping to deal with the bad apple.

The “women take a long time to get dressed” thing is a really old joke, but I liked it because it pissed Cartman off and that’s always funny. It probably didn’t need to be a running gag though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was funny because Cartman drastically overreacted to a fairly common relationship conflict rather than handling it like a responsible person (as Kyle pointed out), because he is not a good person

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Squashy Nipples posted:

my 2 cents:

What if, now bare with me here. What if they were just witches and were upset because 1 of them turned out to be an rear end in a top hat? Why does there have to be some underlining message here?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What if, now bare with me here. What if they were just witches and were upset because 1 of them turned out to be an rear end in a top hat? Why does there have to be some underlining message here?

You can't be subtle any more, people will just say "well what was the point of that?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"We have to get to them before something stupider happens." is a great line for many things in the run of this show, both the enjoyable stuff and the lame stuff the last couple years. Has anybody else picked up on how they're starting to use Stephen when they need a paranoid character? The drone episode, now the witch delusion.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Mr. Garrison is still Trump.

I'm... kinda disappointed.

Mr. Garrison magically growing a lush head of blonde hair after 20 years as a bald man/woman is kinda weak, too, but I liked Butters taking a swipe at his lack of accomplishments.

sticklefifer posted:

This was a fun episode that kind of felt like the old days, but honestly the running gag of "girls take a long time to get ready am I rite guys" is such a lazy joke, and would be comedy poison if not for seeing how much it makes Cartman miserable.

Cartman and Heidi at this point is just downright not fun. Him being pissed about missing the festival could've been fun but, instead of finding another way to pay that off, he goes "I should just kill her". It's becoming a constant theme that we're having fun episodes but then (rolls eyes) The Adventures of Cartman and Heidi happens.

It's almost like there's a writer who's miserable in a relationship right now and is using Cartman as a vessel to deal with it and they're just running it into the ground because they're figuring people are watching and going "Yep, I feel your pain.".

JazzFlight posted:

I just want episodes to be centered on Kyle, Stan, Cartman, and Kenny/Butters again.
Too many of these new eps are either the parents, side characters, or Cartman only. They're missing the straight-man in comedy who points out the absurdity of the wacky characters, so all we have left are the selfish weirdos taking up all the airtime.

They're almost using Randy Marsh Adventures as crutches at this point and, as people talked in this thread not too long ago, they're hit or miss.

This one was a hit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CBJSprague24 posted:

Mr. Garrison magically growing a lush head of blonde hair after 20 years as a bald man/woman is kinda weak, too, but I liked Butters taking a swipe at his lack of accomplishments.

Right I'm sure it's supposed to be natural grown hair and not a Trump Toupee.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Right I'm sure it's supposed to be natural grown hair and not a Trump Toupee.

We saw it being Darth Vadered onto his head.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Only thing I'm curious about now, is how they'll kill heidi off in the finale.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Guavatin posted:

I'd hate for that to happen. It would work better if she dumped him and faded back into the background.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Eric is not having fun.

Eric is an rear end in a top hat.

Therefore, karmically this is good even if he's getting off light.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The Heidi situation is so perfect for Cartman, because he's incapable of ever viewing himself as the bad guy or to blame for anything so he can't break up with her, and yet if she breaks up with him then he won't let her because Cartman always has to believe he's a super awesome guy that no one would break up with.

That's why the only way Cartman can come up with to get rid of her is to set up an elaborate plan to get her killed, without doing it himself.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guavatin posted:

My current prediction is that Heidi will survive the finale, and so will Cartman and Heidi's relationship, but the status quo might change from "Cartman acts like he's trapped in the relationship against his will, and Heidi treats their relationship as a normal one even though Cartman's being an rear end in a top hat" to "Cartman is horrendously abusive but externally treats their relationship as a normal one, and Heidi actually is trapped in the relationship against her will". The whole subplot has been Cartman acting like he's being abused on the basis of pretty much nothing, and Cartman is exactly the type of person to be an abuser. He's just a really bad guy. My reaction to the relationship, ever since it was introduced, was "HEIDI, RUN", and I've been continually dumbfounded by people taking the "Heidi is bad for Cartman" beats at face value when they're obviously supposed to be a result of Cartman's warped perspective.

It's one of the most brilliant pieces of satire the show's ever done, frankly, and I'm a big fan of the show's entire run since season one. People are so used to men in comedy griping about their significant others that they're willing to buy it even when it's loving Eric Cartman, of "Scott Tenorman Must Die" fame, and the show goes out of its way to show that his complaints are lies and/or delusions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

King Vidiot posted:

The Heidi situation is so perfect for Cartman, because he's incapable of ever viewing himself as the bad guy or to blame for anything so he can't break up with her, and yet if she breaks up with him then he won't let her because Cartman always has to believe he's a super awesome guy that no one would break up with.

That's why the only way Cartman can come up with to get rid of her is to set up an elaborate plan to get her killed, without doing it himself.

Lets not forget that Cartman did break up with her. Then between episodes begged her to take him back while crying and threatening to kill himself if she didn't. Which he then made selfishly about him after people laughed at him and singing a song about how people did not want him to kill himself.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

21 Muns posted:

My current prediction is that Heidi will survive the finale, and so will Cartman and Heidi's relationship, but the status quo might change from "Cartman acts like he's trapped in the relationship against his will, and Heidi treats their relationship as a normal one even though Cartman's being an rear end in a top hat" to "Cartman is horrendously abusive but externally treats their relationship as a normal one, and Heidi actually is trapped in the relationship against her will". The whole subplot has been Cartman acting like he's being abused on the basis of pretty much nothing, and Cartman is exactly the type of person to be an abuser. He's just a really bad guy. My reaction to the relationship, ever since it was introduced, was "HEIDI, RUN", and I've been continually dumbfounded by people taking the "Heidi is bad for Cartman" beats at face value when they're obviously supposed to be a result of Cartman's warped perspective.

It's one of the most brilliant pieces of satire the show's ever done, frankly, and I'm a big fan of the show's entire run since season one. People are so used to men in comedy griping about their significant others that they're willing to buy it even when it's loving Eric Cartman, of "Scott Tenorman Must Die" fame, and the show goes out of its way to show that his complaints are lies and/or delusions.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lets not forget that Cartman did break up with her. Then between episodes begged her to take him back while crying and threatening to kill himself if she didn't. Which he then made selfishly about him after people and singing a song about how people did not want him to kill himself.

Yeah, this is how I've been reading it. Heidi is only with him because Cartman is manipulating her and we're not supposed to sympathize with him at all. He's miserable because of his own inability to admit that he's too selfish to be in a relationship and he's not going to let her dump him because he can't see himself as anything less than the most desirable man on earth. The situation is tragic for Heidi though since she seems to be a genuinely good person.

• Locked thread