Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sounds like a lot of people to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elektra is what happens when you let people who try to use 'Her breasts are exposed like that to distract her enemies!', as a defense, write a character.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like The Punisher regardless, but if it doesn't include The Punishment Due by Megadeth I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like The Punisher regardless, but if it doesn't include The Punishment Due by Megadeth I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

The first season of The Punisher opens with him realizing that guns have no effect on The Hand so he spends 10 episodes training with Iron Fist.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The first season of The Punisher opens with him realizing that guns have no effect on The Hand so he spends 10 episodes training with Iron Fist.

Aw gently caress. We're all doomed...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

Elektra is what happens when you let people who try to use 'Her breasts are exposed like that to distract her enemies!', as a defense, write a character.
She seems to have come out of the same trend that gave us Lady Shiva and eventually Zealot, where writing a strong female character means making her good at violence and just an unpleasant person to be around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

She seems to have come out of the same trend that gave us Lady Shiva and eventually Zealot, where writing a strong female character means making her good at violence and just an unpleasant person to be around.

I mean, it worked for Max Payne, so, if that trend follows for Punisher, we might just be alright. :)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, it worked for Max Payne, so, if that trend follows for Punisher, we might just be alright. :)

Mona Sax is a way, way, way better character than MCU Elektra and you should feel ashamed for even comparing the two. :colbert:

(It's been a minute since I've read Miller's DD run, so I'm not gonna touch the comics version.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lamont posted:

I just binged through all of Into the Badlands and I gotta say that Nick Frost made a much more convincing kung fu superhero than Finn Jones

It's awesome in every way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mona Sax is a way, way, way better character than MCU Elektra and you should feel ashamed for even comparing the two. :colbert:

(It's been a minute since I've read Miller's DD run, so I'm not gonna touch the comics version.)

I'm comparing Max Payne and Frank Castle, not Mona and Elektra.

Like Halloween Jack said; good at violence and an unpleasant person to be around.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm comparing Max Payne and Frank Castle, not Mona and Elektra.

Like Halloween Jack said; good at violence and an unpleasant person to be around.

Max Payne is at least quippy and clever in the first two games and doesn't become truly unpleasant until the third game. I don't expect Castle is going to be near as sharp tongued.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Lots of characters are unpleasant; I mean, Wolverine was gruff and unpleasant and smoked indoors and everyone loves Wolverine.

Strong Female Characters like Zealot and Shiva are the kind of unpleasant where someone says "I'm making coffee, do you want some?" and they reply "My ninja warrior honor does not permit such indulgences. You would understand this if you were an honorable warrior ninja and not a pampered weakling." AFAIK this reached its apex in the Strongest Female Character of them all, Honorable Forerunneru-chan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Lots of characters are unpleasant; I mean, Wolverine was gruff and unpleasant and smoked indoors and everyone loves Wolverine.

Strong Female Characters like Zealot and Shiva are the kind of unpleasant where someone says "I'm making coffee, do you want some?" and they reply "My ninja warrior honor does not permit such indulgences. You would understand this if you were an honorable warrior ninja and not a pampered weakling." AFAIK this reached its apex in the Strongest Female Character of them all, Honorable Forerunneru-chan.

Ah, so like Ghost Rider if he can't clock out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Who?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Countdown was bad.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Over/under on Punisher getting pushed back again?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Paolomania posted:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If they delayed Punisher every time there's a mass shooting in the USA we'd never get it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paolomania posted:

They had the fancy pants premiere tonight, so the odds of them pushing back the show's release are small I'd say.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jon Bernthal was on Howard Stern this morning if anyone has Sirius radio. I'll probably show up on YouTube too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Jon Bernthal was on Howard Stern this morning if anyone has Sirius radio. I'll probably show up on YouTube too.
Are you famous?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

homullus posted:

Are you famous?

You don't have to be famous for that.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Pwnstar posted:

I don't understand what Iron Fists deal is. Is he supposed to be good at fighting, or does he just have the one really good punch that he can sometimes do? I keep assuming he's the ultimate kung-fu man but he gets owned constantly and mostly wins fights by sucker punching people.

I'm starting to think his super power is just ultimate stubbornness paired with an above average ability to take a beating, also the fist I guess.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Given how difficult it is for him to summon the fist in a pinch, I think he just lucked into it. Like, "Shao-Lao the Undying" is the name of a pachinko machine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean they establish that Danny jumped the line without proper training, surprised everyone that he survived, and then bailed on his training. So while everyone gets real excited when they hear "The Iron Fist" is coming to town he's perpetually going to disappoint because he's not qualified for the job he holds.

Which is certainly a curious direction to have taken with the character, but very clearly the one they purposely took based on everything from Iron Fist and Defenders.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm still holding out hope he'll try to grow into Daredevil's shoes next season (complete with scarf) and unlock the power of competency.

So in other words, I haven't learned my lesson.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Why is Punisher not coming out on Veteran's day, this is bullshit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean they establish that Danny jumped the line without proper training, surprised everyone that he survived, and then bailed on his training.

That's not what they said, Danny had the proper training, Davos was just surprised that Danny was chosen over him because Davos' dad was the one that did the choosing.

The healing technique that Bakuto teaches him could be something that the elders refuse to teach trainees any more after the Five Fingers betrayed Kun Lun since using chi for healing and extending life seems to be at the root of the rebellion.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Danny refuses to make both his hands glow like the man in the movie because then he'll have to rebrand as The Iron Fists.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's not what they said, Danny had the proper training, Davos was just surprised that Danny was chosen over him because Davos' dad was the one that did the choosing.

The healing technique that Bakuto teaches him could be something that the elders refuse to teach trainees any more after the Five Fingers betrayed Kun Lun since using chi for healing and extending life seems to be at the root of the rebellion.

Danny didn't even know how to center his chi. He didn't learn jack poo poo about being the Iron Fist before bailing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Nephthys posted:

Danny didn't even know how to center his chi. He didn't learn jack poo poo about being the Iron Fist before bailing.

He did though, he just had trouble when he was doused up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its pretty heavily made clear Danny bailed on his training but I supposed I'd have to rewatch it to be sure of that. That seemed like a pretty critical part of Davos' exposition. He at the very least is massively ignorant of the role of the Iron Fist and all kinds of crucial information that comes up in Defenders.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

STAC Goat posted:

I think its pretty heavily made clear Danny bailed on his training but I supposed I'd have to rewatch it to be sure of that. That seemed like a pretty critical part of Davos' exposition. He at the very least is massively ignorant of the role of the Iron Fist and all kinds of crucial information that comes up in Defenders.

I thought it was more, he trained harder than others, working through some guilty or inferiority complex but then when he finally attained the end goal (becoming Iron Fist) he realized how hollow it was for him. He bailed on his position, to protect the mountain pass. But that was after the training and defeating the dragon. Passage opened and he noped out. Which is what Davos was being critical of.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Training to be the Iron Fist is general martial arts training, by and large. Training being the Iron Fist involves knowing how to use the magic powers you get from punching a dragon in the heart. Danny did the first, and skipped the second.

It's part of what makes him the most stupid and incompetent Iron Fist ever. The other is just generally being a stupid and incompetent person.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there's his general training and his Iron Fist training. He 100% bailed on Iron Fist School which is why he's so clueless about the lore and stuff and very spotty with his powers. But I also believe it was implied that he wasn't fully trained up and just jumped into facing the dragon because he was antsy and bullheaded as he often shows he is. He had the same level of training Davos did but wasn't actually at teh front of the line for Dragon fighting.

Danny clearly hates sitting still and being told to chill out and wait. Its more or less his defining characteristic. He jumps headfirst into everything stubbornly certain he can handle it without any real preparation or planning. And it almost never works out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know why he can't just be a cool kung fu guy with glowing powers instead of a dumb confused manchild who has to get his own abilities explained to him by villains.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why he can't just be a cool kung fu guy with glowing powers instead of a dumb confused manchild who has to get his own abilities explained to him by villains.

The worst part is that they have this character in the comics already. He's doing things like jumping off skyscrapers to DBZ fight aliens/demons with his flaming fist blasts alongside his apprentice and then they do this poo poo.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

wiegieman posted:

The worst part is that they have this character in the comics already. He's doing things like jumping off skyscrapers to DBZ fight aliens/demons with his flaming fist blasts alongside his apprentice and then they do this poo poo.

To be fair they could barely afford to do the Elevator scene.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
In the comics, wasn't there a run of Daredevil where Matt is dead/missing/whatever and Danny Rand takes over as Daredevil basically just by putting on a blinding mask with no specialized blind training and actually is pretty successful? Not that I'm hoping for that in the TV show, it just shows that there's a wide gulf between the competence of Comic Book Iron Fist and TV show Iron Fist.

Before the Netflix Iron Fist came out I really was hoping for someone who was more akin to a Kung Fu Wizard/sage/wiseman, and we got a floundering stubborn idiot with a magic suckerpunch instead. I want Iron Fist season 2 to be the Ward and Joy Meechum show because they are the interesting characters in his show and I could care less about whatever Danny Rand is doing.

Maybe I'm just weird though, I didn't really like Luke Cage's show because I didn't really feel like there was much of an emotional arc. He begrudgingly beats up on gangsters because he's a nice guy, his mentor gets shot, and then he continues to beat up on gangsters because he's a nice guy. He didn't have any real personal hangups with that lifestyle like Matt had with his Catholic Guilt and trying to balance his professional life with one where he beats up on goons for a living, or Jessica had with her emotional trauma and alcoholism that she still carries even into the defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My problem with the Iron Fist series was that it wanted to be a street level NYC hero story, and that's not something I associate with Iron Fist. I think of Iron Fist as being a Mortal Kombat character who got lost, and that means a more fantastical setting and enemies. I think he was always going to have trouble from being a decidedly not street level NYC hero being shoehorned into a street level NYC setting.