Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Do I need to play the game from start to finish picking a different girl each time for that one?

Not quite start to finish. You have to make sure to start another playthrough before you find Sayori hanging around her room, since that event locks in act 2. It's honestly a small enough change that you can probably just youtube it though.

RyokoTK posted:

There's actually something I'm curious about for people that got the true complete ending, since I'm interested in knowing it but I really just don't want to click through the game and do the work again: Is it always Sayori who kills herself at the end of route 1, and is it always Monika that is the best girlfriend, or do the characters change positions based on who you romance with the poetry/who you spend the weekend with?

It plays out the same way every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

They begin to yell about being able to skip bosses, level select, story mode; that not having these is specifically discriminatory. That third type of accessibility -training and tutorialisation- is being attacked and by people who are fundamentally misunderstanding what accessibility is, while all those other efforts to allow a user to engage are being ignored) All that matters to these commentators is availability of content.

And now we get designers, and engineers, and other people who work in accessibility starting to push back on this. John walker wrote an article saying that all bosses should be skippable in all games and not doing so is an accessibility issue. There was a beautiful rebuttal on medium pointing out how game design is now done that early bosses are accessibility features, training a user to be able to perform later, more difficult tasks (because people ignore separate tutorial you put it in the main game). Walkers argument fails because he's advocating an action that negatively affects accessibility, in order to combat difficulty, and then calls it accessibility.

Separate from discussion of or misuse of the term of accessibility, I think that things like being able to skip bosses, choosing whether to have more combat or narrative in your play of the game, skipping cutscenes etc are all great features that really make me like a game.

Reading a book, I can skip parts of it completely if I want, go word by word slowly or skim-read portions. I could stick on subtitles and watch a film at a higher than normal speed or watch it in the background while focussing on other stuff. I can watch a film on my phone screen even if the director thinks this compromises his vision (David Lynch has said things to that effect, for example).

A lot of games are presented as an uncompromising vision of "play this way" because it's a specifically designed experience. Games that have features to change up the gameplay, or otherwise allow mods/cheat modes are great since people don't all want to play the same way, or maybe don't have the kind of lifestyle where they can play it in the way it was intended. Maybe they play with the sound off and have to keep pausing in order to keep an eye on a kid in the same room. Games with lots of audio cues and no in-game pause suck for that. Or for example if you just enjoy the OTT brawling or cold war action and aren't invested in the stories then it's great that the cut-scenes of Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid V respectively are entirely skippable.

While the game had many flaws, being able to skip the "action" sequences in LA Noire if you had failed them a couple of times was really awesome, since it was mostly a slow-paced clue-hunting and conversation game the rest of the time and the action sequences didn't really have great controls to be honest.

And some games I am interested in the world/lore but the actual gameplay style doesn't appeal so I'd happily pay for the game and use options to simplify it or cheat my way through it because that's more enjoyable to me than just watching an LP. I might not get the experience the game designers intended, sure - but I can still enjoy (and pay for) it. And it doesn't cheapen anyone else's experience just by having them there in an options menu but not enabled by default. Doom isn't somehow compromised for people who play it on Nightmare! just because I'm Too Young To Die exists as an option.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Danger's points remind me of this great Dara O'Briain routine about the nature of difficulty in games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I played through Doki Doki Lit Club today in one sitting and I am so, so glad I did so without spoilers.

I'm not a big visual novel guy, generally (I loved Analogue and Hate Plus, and I love the Ace Attorney and Zero Escape series, so... maybe I kind of am? Anyway) but I'd recommend that game to anyone. Even if you're like "oh, lord, anime," there's enough to keep you interested until the point where you know you absolutely cannot quit, and I think the poetry is actually very good, too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I played through Doki Doki Lit Club... I'd recommend that game to anyone.

Uh, definitely not anyone. It’s a game that you need to know specifically who you’re recommending it to.

But yeah, I don’t dig on anime at all and it’s definitely a good piece of work.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Oct 26, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Uh, definitely not anyone. It’s a game that you need to know specifically who you’re recommending it to.

But yeah, I don’t dig on anime at all and it’s definitely a good piece of work.

OK, that's a very good point. I guess what I meant was "I'd recommend it to anyone who likes narratives (in) games, regardless of their genres of choice;" I'd definitely extend the content warning to anyone I felt needed it (or didn't know well enough to know if they needed it).

This is what makes content warnings so sticky for me: I wouldn't want anyone to have a terrible time because of a dark and painful swerve in a game, but the dark and painful swerve(s) of DDLC are best experienced as a sharp shock, out of nowhere. Knowing the themes in advance would blunt the impact of the experience, but...

man, did you get some of those secret poems? My god.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I’ve pitched the game to a couple of people with just the “Those that suffer from depression or anxiety will not have a safe experience playing this game” warning, and urging them that the warning is very true because it plays a lot on specifically those two themes.

So pretty much how I sold it to Neddy Seagoon upthread. That’s how the game piqued my interest and you can’t really explain what the game is about since doing that will spoil events that contribute to that anxiety and dread that made the whole game work.

And yeah the secret poems are real grim.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
After having it in my backlog for years and not playing any other AC games prior (I tried AC1 but found it a slog), I'm loving AC4: Black Flag. Shanties are an amazing little thing, but my favorite is when you come back to the wheel after being in a town or whatever, your crew goes "Yay! Cap'n's back!" :3:

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

i downloaded that doki doki lit club game because you all were raving about it. what the gently caress is this anime rear end poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GelatinSkeleton posted:

i downloaded that doki doki lit club game because you all were raving about it. what the gently caress is this anime rear end poo poo

I know, right? I'll just wait for the Western release where they change it into a Mario game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JPrime posted:

After having it in my backlog for years and not playing any other AC games prior (I tried AC1 but found it a slog), I'm loving AC4: Black Flag. Shanties are an amazing little thing, but my favorite is when you come back to the wheel after being in a town or whatever, your crew goes "Yay! Cap'n's back!" :3:

Nobody really likes AC1, AC2 is where the the games actually get good. Ezio's trilogy (AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations) are well worth a play. Revelations isn't as good as AC2 and Brotherhood, but it wraps everything up very well for the character.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Make sure to pick a good the best girlfriend. :)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I like the fact that when I tried to restart the game with the other girls included and not the real one they actually accounted for that and gave me poo poo for it, haha

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Keep playing until the shoe drops. You will know when it gets good.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nobody really likes AC1, AC2 is where the the games actually get good. Ezio's trilogy (AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations) are well worth a play. Revelations isn't as good as AC2 and Brotherhood, but it wraps everything up very well for the character.

I have AC1-3 on xbox live, so maybe I'll give 2 and 3 a shot. So much piratey fun.

:v: "Sing, Jack!"

:mad: "Stow it, lads."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JPrime posted:

I have AC1-3 on xbox live, so maybe I'll give 2 and 3 a shot. So much piratey fun.

:v: "Sing, Jack!"

:mad: "Stow it, lads."

Don't play 3.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

For anyone who's beaten Doki-Doki Literature Club, I'd also recommend starting a new game and using your new understanding of the story while on the main menu and try to solve all the problems before they occur.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I figure literally anything about this game is a spoiler right now but in Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus there's a mission in the irradiated ruins of New York. The Nazis are all wearing radiation suits. The officers are wearing their trench coats and caps over the suits. It looks so goofy and I love it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I like how in AC Syndicate that while Jacob has the usual brand of AC protagonist brutality, his sister Evie takes it to the next level. I don't know what arms did to her but she really leaves no arm unbroken.

:stare: Evie, they still have to work and provide for their families, you don't have to break every one of their limbs.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

For anyone who's beaten Doki-Doki Literature Club, I'd also recommend starting a new game and using your new understanding of the story while on the main menu and try to solve all the problems before they occur.
Sigh. Is there like, a horror game thread where we can just talk about this openly? I've already uninstalled it but I'm vaguely curious.

And there's so much hidden poo poo involved here; like how there's random poems and things you can only find by reading the game directory while playing the game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I got to the shoe drop in Doki Doki.

I have never been so loving unnerved in my gaming life.

E: Oh gently caress everytime nothing goes wrong I know that the game is just biding its loving time, aaaagh gently caress halloween and its excuse to play really deeply disturbing poo poo

Somfin has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Oct 27, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did they fix the controls in Assassin's Creed 2 because the controls are why I didn't like Assassin's Creed? :(

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, what does Doki Doki mean? The only other thing I know of is Doki Doki Panic, which was made into Super Mario Bros 2.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's representative of an excited heart beat, usually. Japan's big on onomatopoeia.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did they fix the controls in Assassin's Creed 2 because the controls are why I didn't like Assassin's Creed? :(

Sometime while climbing you will just kinda take an absurd leap to your death totally against your wishes, or maybe that was just me being bad at it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jerry Cotton posted:

2 was a huge improvement in basically every single way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
AC2 still has the whole puppeteering control layout thing going on, so in that sense the controls aren't "fixed" though it's more of a hassle on PC in particular since the prompts are clearly made for a 360 controller. I think you have to be more specific about what you didn't like about the controls to get a clear answer though.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

graybook posted:

I like that Jacob is encouraging as a horse driver but Evie is all shouty. Interesting attitude contrast to how they tackle missions.

Don Gato posted:

I like how in AC Syndicate that while Jacob has the usual brand of AC protagonist brutality, his sister Evie takes it to the next level. I don't know what arms did to her but she really leaves no arm unbroken.

:stare: Evie, they still have to work and provide for their families, you don't have to break every one of their limbs.

The writing tries to make Jacob out as the wild, violent one, but Evie's a psychotic ball of barely concealed rage the entire time. I even noticed it in their favored weapons: the brass knuckle animations are brutal but efficient, where the cane sword animations are elaborate exercises in causing as much pain as possible.

I just realized how playing as Evie is basically Sleeping Dogs: Victorian England. I think that makes Syndicate my favorite AC game.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked AC1 at the time. I'm a sucker for new settings in games, and I actually like the modern/ancient aliens sci-fi stuff. I wouldn't replay it now after playing others in the series, but it was a good first effort.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I hate the 'ancient aliens' trope with a passion, but a game all about being a Hashashin stabbing Crusaders and less-devout Muslims in the Holy Land of 1187? Ohhh my yes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Byzantine posted:

I hate the 'ancient aliens' trope with a passion, but a game all about being a Hashashin stabbing Crusaders and less-devout Muslims in the Holy Land of 1187? Ohhh my yes.

I think AC1 had the best meta-plot out of all of them. The ancient aliens thing is a little goofy, but they handled it really well as being "someone in the past found some unknowable crazy technology poo poo" in the plot of it.

It's in AC2 and later they went balls to the wall with old gods and revealing the history, and it just sort of lost the charm. It was more fun when it was not only unknown, but unknowable. :(

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Holy ballsacks. Everyone who can stomach a jump scare or two in the service of some real bleak horror should play through Doki Doki Literature Club. I cannot put in words how clear and pure its message is.

Put your real name in when it asks for a name, it'll triple the effect in a couple places.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Don Gato posted:

I described the two characters to a friend like this: Jacob will beat your rear end, but Evie will ruin your loving life.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

Danger's points remind me of this great Dara O'Briain routine about the nature of difficulty in games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24

ok it's not just the talking head thing but on stage

JOHNSON COCKSLAP has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Oct 27, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang anime.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Byzantine posted:

:hellyeah:

I loved the historical setting of AC:1 best of all the games, it was rad to play as a Muslim character defending against the crusades and I loved all the detail, like the contrast between the (still Medieval but relatively) civilised Damascus and Jerusalem and the corpse piles and plagues of Acre. It's a perspective on the Crusades you just don't get in Western media much.

My only regret is that you don't get to fistfight Richard the Lionheart, but I do like that he's portrayed as this mental religious fanatic willing to let God decide through trial-by-combat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Drunken Baker posted:

I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang anime.

It is, if it can be put into a nice box for a moment, a brass-knuckled critique of its own genre. Meta-plot spoilers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I think AC1 had the best meta-plot out of all of them. The ancient aliens thing is a little goofy, but they handled it really well as being "someone in the past found some unknowable crazy technology poo poo" in the plot of it.

It's in AC2 and later they went balls to the wall with old gods and revealing the history, and it just sort of lost the charm. It was more fun when it was not only unknown, but unknowable. :(

AC2 kept a lot of the weirdness, with Subject 16 and the glyphs. It was brotherhood where they kept explaining it in the most boring terms imaginable.

Also it ends with one character loudly exclaiming "what the gently caress? " then immediately rolls credits, which I will love for ever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Someone mentioned AC3 being bad, which I knew, but my gf wants to play another AC game after enjoying Black Flag. Is Unity worth playing, or Syndicate?

Edit: Oh, this isn't quite the thread for that, so I'll just add: I really enjoy how in The Lego Movie: The Game, everything is made out of lego. In all the other lego games, there are lego objects, but then there's a lot of non-lego stuff, which I found a little jarring. In the Lego Movie, however, since they're trying to match the all-lego aesthetic from the film, absolutely everything is lego-based.

Oh, except for the bonus room, because it takes place in the 'real' world, in the boy's bedroom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dewgy posted:

I think you're forgetting that AC1 ends with a glance at weird scrawl on the wall of Desmond's cell and Desmond going "huh, wonder what this means... :confused:" before going right to credits.

John Murdoch posted:

AC2 still has the whole puppeteering control layout thing going on, so in that sense the controls aren't "fixed" though it's more of a hassle on PC in particular since the prompts are clearly made for a 360 controller. I think you have to be more specific about what you didn't like about the controls to get a clear answer though.

You should really be playing games like this with a controller anyway, and a wired X360 controller is pretty inexpensive. Some movement stuff doesn't translate well to buttons.

Don Gato posted:

I've mentioned that exact same thing in a few threads myself. Jacob will beat the poo poo out of them, but Evie Frye breaks bones like it's a fetish. Lady, you don't need to snap a man's arm in two places and then bring his shoulder around 360 degrees with a sickening string of snapping bones and tendons to subdue him. :suspense:

Morpheus posted:

Someone mentioned AC3 being bad, which I knew, but my gf wants to play another AC game after enjoying Black Flag. Is Unity worth playing, or Syndicate?

If you're playing them on PC or last-gen consoles, get AC: Rogue next. More piratical combat and a great story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're forgetting that AC1 ends with a glance at weird scrawl on the wall of Desmond's cell and Desmond going "huh, wonder what this means... :confused:" before going right to credits.

But that was cool! :mad:

I'm more talking about all the demigods crap they introduced after 2 and the rest of the series. Now it's just some specific named ancient people with specific named ancient macguffins and they're all boring.