Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
scam.co.uk

e: taxxe

Poor kitty is still reeling from CitCon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Some dumb idiot posted:

Well here's a PARP face I didn't expect to see on top of the mail.

The actual article is a complete puff piece about how the face-over-IP gimmick is totally not a retarded idea you guys, honest! But you can read it over here;
https://issuu.com/newbayeurope/docs/mcv928_27th_october/18

This poor Commando appears to have become self-aware of the nightmare game he's trapped in.

Honestly, I’m just glad the same picture from like 3-4 years ago is still good enough to put on all their marketing. It’s my favorite part of Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

iPhone only apparently.

Bootcha in the know again. He called it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

Old Man refactor.

Is this real??? Did they seriously say an Intel SSD hard drive will improve your graphics? Not that it actually looks better than the 4 year old Maya render, but the implication is there that an SSD is somehow going to double as a graphics extender.

It’s pretty pathetic. I hope all the citizens out there feel... something... about this.

I know if not be happy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One of the nice things about Star Citizen at this point is that things have pretty much calcified into their existing properties. Nobody here is magically going to be impressed and decide that, indeed, Star Citizen is good and will impress the world. Similarly nobody on the other side is going to see that and magically go "wow, they didn't show any gameplay" and decide to get a refund. People will see what they want to see, especially given how good Chris is at providing just enough rope for people to hang themselves on their own dreams. What I saw was a lot of really impressive work for a game that nobody actually paid for. I see planets that would look fantastic as flyovers during a cutscene, art assets that would be really great in localized encounters, and plenty of generic (but still nice) content. If CIG had maintained the original concept of instances linked by cutscenes, or if it was for a single player Squadron 42, then I'd be pretty impressed. But since the content they revealed has minimal impact on the expected gameplay, they steadfastly failed to show any kind of multiplayer interaction (or any real gameplay to speak of), and since Star Citizen is supposed to be a MMO and not a single player game there isn't much to be excited about.

What I saw was basically yet another indication of the things that actually matter to Chris Roberts; grandeur, scale, and derivative content. Look at how many times he talked about things that sound impressive like all those NPCs, the size of various buildings, provided a reference to a superior work of fiction like Blade Runner or Star Wars. Look at how little he talked about gameplay loops, or introduced mechanics that players have been waiting years for, or addressed core issues like networking, performance, or the flight model. Look at how a game that was meant to be a space simulation barely even touched space; indeed the only relevant discussion regarding actual space travel was how Chris apparently thinks that waiting eight minutes to travel between planets is somehow good game design. Look at how he thinks that showing hundreds of "procedurally generated" city blocks will somehow enhance the player experience, or how having millions of square kilometers of empty territory will lead to a better experience than what you can already get with Elite.

Star Citizen is not a scam, it's an ego trip. It's hundreds of people working on something, and doing what looks to be some good work doing it, to stoke the narcissism of a failed developer who is more interested in maintaining the appearances of producing a AAA title than actually delivering it. What we saw today was absolutely an indication that they are burning millions and using up a lot of personnel, and they are delivering on things. The problem is that what they're delivering has no bearing on what people are paying for.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Codezombie posted:

SSDO - Screen Space Directional Occlusion

Not SSD

Ah ha! Well thanks. :)

Either way it looks like poo poo still. :)

Definitely worse than the Maya render they apparently can’t be arsed to render again from 3-4 years ago.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Did we talk about how the Pioneer commercial was a blatant archer of the Prometheus promotional clip of Peter Weyland's TED talk complete with drone camera?

I haven't seen a more intellectually bankrupt dev studio. Everything they showed today was a lovely ripoff of something else down to their stupid moon. The holiday livestream in December will have ships/bikes riding across a desert with sand being kicked up because Chris saw it in The Last Jedi, calling it now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

The alien languages were a stretch goal, so really this is your fault.

It’s one of the few stretch goals they can actually meet because it doesn’t require them to know how to be talented with programming.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, it's Sunday morning here, I've just woken up, is PC Gaming saved now?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One of the nice things about Star Citizen at this point is that things have pretty much calcified into their existing properties. Nobody here is magically going to be impressed and decide that, indeed, Star Citizen is good and will impress the world. Similarly nobody on the other side is going to see that and magically go "wow, they didn't show any gameplay" and decide to get a refund. People will see what they want to see, especially given how good Chris is at providing just enough rope for people to hang themselves on their own dreams. What I saw was a lot of really impressive work for a game that nobody actually paid for. I see planets that would look fantastic as flyovers during a cutscene, art assets that would be really great in localized encounters, and plenty of generic (but still nice) content. If CIG had maintained the original concept of instances linked by cutscenes, or if it was for a single player Squadron 42, then I'd be pretty impressed. But since the content they revealed has minimal impact on the expected gameplay, they steadfastly failed to show any kind of multiplayer interaction (or any real gameplay to speak of), and since Star Citizen is supposed to be a MMO and not a single player game there isn't much to be excited about.

What I saw was basically yet another indication of the things that actually matter to Chris Roberts; grandeur, scale, and derivative content. Look at how many times he talked about things that sound impressive like all those NPCs, the size of various buildings, provided a reference to a superior work of fiction like Blade Runner or Star Wars. Look at how little he talked about gameplay loops, or introduced mechanics that players have been waiting years for, or addressed core issues like networking, performance, or the flight model. Look at how a game that was meant to be a space simulation barely even touched space; indeed the only relevant discussion regarding actual space travel was how Chris apparently thinks that waiting eight minutes to travel between planets is somehow good game design. Look at how he thinks that showing hundreds of "procedurally generated" city blocks will somehow enhance the player experience, or how having millions of square kilometers of empty territory will lead to a better experience than what you can already get with Elite.

Star Citizen is not a scam, it's an ego trip. It's hundreds of people working on something, and doing what looks to be some good work doing it, to stoke the narcissism of a failed developer who is more interested in maintaining the appearances of producing a AAA title than actually delivering it. What we saw today was absolutely an indication that they are burning millions and using up a lot of personnel, and they are delivering on things. The problem is that what they're delivering has no bearing on what people are paying for.

I actually disagree with part of that. There are some areas where the backers will never change their minds about "DS sucks", "They are doing something never done before", "Not-a-scam" and so on, so if you approach them from an angle that kinda smells like those they immediately get into a defensive position. But if you just have a regular conversation about some meaningless detail and slowly move it towards something more important you get some surprising results. People are changing their mind about the game and it is almost always from being positive about it into getting disillusioned, and all the tech demos in the world won't help in the long run with them. I have not seen a single dude (besides that guy that posts in here with the MLP avatar who bought in twice, lol) go the other way around.

Hell, there is even semi-reasonable(!!) people on r/dereksmart as long as you don't try to defend the good doctor.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Hi thread, it's Sunday morning here, I've just woken up, is PC Gaming saved now?

https://twitter.com/MrSamSmall/status/924027649738936320

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lack of Gravitas posted:

What? As far as I know we're square in the Fri-Saturday part of the week.

But PC Gaming is indeed saved so rejoice! (and buy some ships)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AutismVaccine posted:

Ship balance development explained

You forgot weight. This is the only factor it can punch above and a critical one because it determines costing.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Im so glad they're going to continue scamming people indefinitely

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax
This presentation was boring and safe to avoid criticism, but things will change. They'll get more confident or more desperate, and the cringe will come back.

It might be a long wait, but we have to be ready.

It'll be worth it, to see this glitch monument fall, and clip in the ground, and rotate at an increasing rate, then revert to the server authoritative position, then explode.

Literally sharpening an axe right now. Gonna cook hot-dogs.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
INTERLINKED with the thread.

Does anyone have a link to the start of the demo? I need some help going to sleep.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So I’m at the point where there is no gameplay.

Haha.

Good job, backers. I hope you feel justified now. :)

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One of the nice things about Star Citizen at this point is that things have pretty much calcified into their existing properties. Nobody here is magically going to be impressed and decide that, indeed, Star Citizen is good and will impress the world. Similarly nobody on the other side is going to see that and magically go "wow, they didn't show any gameplay" and decide to get a refund.
Thread posters and SC cultists are not two sides of the same close-minded coin.

If CIG performed literal magic and started making good and impressive steps towards delivering a rationally conceived game plenty of people in here would be capable of acknowledging the miracle.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/m3CWkso.gifv

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen is not a scam, (but it ... exists) [non sic] to stoke the narcissism of a failed developer who is more interested in maintaining the appearances of producing a AAA title than actually delivering it. What we saw today was absolutely an indication that they are burning millions and using up a lot of personnel, and they are delivering on things. The problem is that what they're delivering has no bearing on what people are paying for.

:five:

Crobberts is just doing Strike Commander 2.0. " 1 Million Man Hours over 4 years". I just downloaded the SC manual and checked named credits.

If you count each name (hint, many are repeated for various positions), you get ~129 named personnel. At 2080 hours per year, little over 1 million man hours.

If you remove the duplicate names (most of them were Crobblets, but also some familiar names [Irving] as well as no-names that don't Games no more):
~64 employees.

Erin legit had only 1 credit. Best brother is little brother(?)

So about 8 years (hours matching-ish) to make the 4 year deadline. One might infer Crobblets likes making peons work 80 hour work weeks, not unprecedented by CIG's uhhh....dumb(?) social marketing that espouses crunch before a major con(VENTION).

Tripple :lol: at Harry Porter in 1994. Don't know why but that makes me snicker.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Chin posted:

If CIG performed literal magic and started making good and impressive steps towards delivering a rationally conceived game plenty of people in here would be capable of acknowledging the miracle.

I’d be glad to. I’d still like to play the game as advertised. Even if it were just as good as Freelancer with a new coat of paint. :3:

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I started playing Bayonneta 2, again, today I payed extra attention to the city you fly over in the prologue due to this and I must say the demo doesn't hold up all that well when you consider the comparative lack of details in the demo, that it's not real-time at 60fps on souped-up phone hardware that was obsolete 5 years ago-- oh, and there's no gameplay.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sarsapariller posted:

The archer-ing goes deep with this one.

Inceladus

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I'm hoping this demo means they've finally turned the corner and will be able to generate stable gameplay and lots of content. The buggy programming, while funny, has prevented us from getting to the untapped mines of gameplay and story.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

aww the bottom one is the cutest

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am surprised they didn't demo a tool to procedurally steal artwork by trawling google images and then making some superficial edits and applying a filter or two.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AlternateAccount posted:

I am surprised they didn't demo a tool to procedurally steal artwork by trawling google images and then making some superficial edits and applying a filter or two.

That tool's name is Ryan Archer

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

This ad copy is amusing. "Rich" "Galaxy" "Universe" "Immerse" "Experience" (experience is used EIGHT TIMES)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AlternateAccount posted:

He has a name you know.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
CIG has waited too long and now the only thing their big presentations receive is indifference.

Next to no activity on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/search?q=Star+Citizen&sort=relevance&t=day

Only a $400 give away has any traction on twitter.

https://twitter.com/search?q=star+citizen

And the only news anyone reported on was the SSD.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=star+citizen&tbm=nws

There is no new blood coming into this. All funding resides with a couple thousand whales.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

I actually disagree with part of that. There are some areas where the backers will never change their minds about "DS sucks", "They are doing something never done before", "Not-a-scam" and so on, so if you approach them from an angle that kinda smells like those they immediately get into a defensive position. But if you just have a regular conversation about some meaningless detail and slowly move it towards something more important you get some surprising results. People are changing their mind about the game and it is almost always from being positive about it into getting disillusioned, and all the tech demos in the world won't help in the long run with them. I have not seen a single dude (besides that guy that posts in here with the MLP avatar who bought in twice, lol) go the other way around.

Hell, there is even semi-reasonable(!!) people on r/dereksmart as long as you don't try to defend the good doctor.

Fair enough. I have no trouble admitting that my own perspective is likely jaded and bitter.

Chin posted:

That's true. I have no problem buying Squadron 42 if it doesn't suck.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The shill at Dualshockers is right on it: https://www.dualshockers.com/star-citizen-video-planets/

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

When you have hundreds of artists, you can make some good looking art.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Titanic posted:

So I’m at the point where there is no gameplay.

I told you guys back at Gamescom, this is the gameplay.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I don't think anyone has ever denied that Star Citizen looks very good when it's sitting still.

Which is pretty good news for people who want full servers and a good looking game I guess.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Tokamak posted:

When you have hundreds of artists, you can make some good looking art.

So what's CIG's excuse?

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Thoatse posted:

Inceladus
I just noticed there's also some Pluto in there:

You can see the Tombaugh Regio in the center of Microtech Archerplutladus.

Meet Ryan Archer's twin, Ryan Archer.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

You have to wonder if it's the failure of the artists or their art being sent back so many times with roberts saying "THIS IS WHAT I WANT SO MAKE THAT" and pointing to google image searches that they just say gently caress it and give him exactly what he asks for

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

So what's CIG's excuse?

It is technically competent, even if the aesthetic isn't particularly amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You have to wonder if it's the failure of the artists or their art being sent back so many times with roberts saying "THIS IS WHAT I WANT SO MAKE THAT" and pointing to google image searches that they just say gently caress it and give him exactly what he asks for

Grand Archer Roberts