Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Update: Ketchup and corn takes home the prize!

The head honcho for the whole place came by to "check things out" and cast the tiebreaker vote. He was talking about how he makes his with shrimp. I kept my mouth shut.

For these kinds of things I tend to do 100% competitive effort or completely ignore that it's happening. It's just how I'm hardwired. I'll probably do the same thing again next year with the same consequences and complain about it in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

what in gently caress, in what bizzaro world do corn and catsup and shrimp exist in chili

i think you meant to post this in the unnerving stories thread

:barf:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Please make an ironic entry next year with literally just ketchup, corn, ground beef, and shrimp. thanks in advance

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

GrAviTy84 posted:

Please make an ironic entry next year with literally just ketchup, corn, ground beef, and shrimp. thanks in advance

The secret is a couple extra tablespoons of sugar

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Croatoan posted:

For me I've made a few things with a bunch of effort and they go over so super well that it's pretty nice when I didn't bring something and a few people were really disappointed. Made my day.
Next time try a slightly spruced-up box mix, and you'll see their reactions are exactly the same. I could do the Ghirardelli Mexican brownies or a three-foot croquembouche and they really would be equally appreciative. It's mostly about free sugar imo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

theres a will theres moe posted:

The secret is a couple extra tablespoons of sugar

and a single dash of tabasco

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hauki posted:

and a single dash of tabasco

Whoa now let's not get too crazy now

Hauki
May 11, 2010

no comment:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, sometimes I help clean out the aquarium scum at the lab too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hauki posted:

no comment:

Juniper berries and thyme?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stringent posted:

Juniper berries and thyme?

yeah, 'botanical' cocktail from a quasi farm-to-table place

i'm just baffled as to why they left all that poo poo floating in it, try getting that down as is without choking on a chunk of juniper

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

I still say someone should make mapo tofu and insist that it's chili in one of those.

"what? it's got ground meat, chiles, beans..."

lol this is ace

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I still say someone should make mapo tofu and insist that it's chili in one of those.

"what? it's got ground meat, chiles, beans..."

Remind me when's the deadline?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The love of bread machines in this thread completely baffles me because they make lovely bread and are exactly the kind of shortcut this forum attempts to educate people out of

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

The love of bread machines in this thread completely baffles me because they make lovely bread and are exactly the kind of shortcut this forum attempts to educate people out of

yeah, gently caress the nostalgic childhood smell of dough fermenting in a machine built to make and proof dough! smells like laziness to me

(they make lovely bread, but really for mixing and proofing dough, pretty sure they're alright - just bake it on a stone or whatever?)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you have no other reason to have a KitchenAid they're a cheaper option for a dough kneader. Their core issue is their shittiness at replacing an oven. Timers are cool.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

mindphlux posted:

yeah, gently caress the nostalgic childhood smell of dough fermenting in a machine built to make and proof dough! smells like laziness to me

(they make lovely bread, but really for mixing and proofing dough, pretty sure they're alright - just bake it on a stone or whatever?)

Having parents so lovely as to feed you bread machine bread explains a lot about your posting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pretty sure I was never going to win this one since there are some fantastic entries, but I got an excuse to make a solid batch of Texas Red and just finished off the last of it yesterday so it's all a win to me.

Edit: basically the same thing that Mr. Wiggles did, which was a great entry.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bread machine bread is better than most grocery store bread. Not as good as real homemade but a good amount more hands-off. There is room in this world for more than one method of making bread.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

That Works posted:

Pretty sure I was never going to win this one since there are some fantastic entries, but I got an excuse to make a solid batch of Texas Red and just finished off the last of it yesterday so it's all a win to me.

Edit: basically the same thing that Mr. Wiggles did, which was a great entry.

Hey good for you! We should all make chili!

And yes, bread machines make bread that is not as good as real down and dirty homemade bread, but it is also better than store bought stuff. It's a good compromise for when it's just too hot to bake or when you're just too busy. No different from using a slow cooker to make pulled pork.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr. Wiggles posted:

using a slow cooker to make pulled pork.

Ok, this is going too far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stringent posted:

Ok, this is going too far.

?

What’s wrong with that

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

If you have no other reason to have a KitchenAid they're a cheaper option for a dough kneader. Their core issue is their shittiness at replacing an oven. Timers are cool.

With slow ferment you don’t even need to knead. Just fold a couple times over the course of a few hours before you do the first proof on the counter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I think I would like bread machines more if they all made a standard pullman loaf size instead of that oversized slice that's unwieldy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

With slow ferment you don’t even need to knead. Just fold a couple times over the course of a few hours before you do the first proof on the counter.

With no-knead you don't even need that. It's just a great way of baking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

therattle posted:

With no-knead you don't even need that. It's just a great way of baking.

Yeah, my usual home bread is fridge-fermented no-knead. The most working it gets is being shaped into a boulle to bake.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pile of brown posted:

I was going to write an effortpost about how these forums used to be a glorious place when we were young and optimistic, but it's 2017 and the world has dimmed and now we just get drunk and eat taco bell in the dark.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

I was going to write an effortpost about how these forums used to be a glorious place when we were young and optimistic, but it's 2017 and the world has dimmed and now we just get drunk and eat taco bell in the dark.

Taco Bell in the dark only cuz I can't afford the electric bill after paying my student loans for the month :negative:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm springing for something not on the dollar menu tonight folks! :homebrew:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
gravity has always eaten a gross amount of taco bell

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
and whats the deal with mommie dearest; hes not mommie, and hes not dearest?!?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, my usual home bread is fridge-fermented no-knead. The most working it gets is being shaped into a boulle to bake.

What's everyone's preferred recipe for no knead bread please? I went on a cooking course and discovered the joy of doing a loaf in a Dutch oven, but their recipe had approximately a million kneading steps.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

tarbrush posted:

What's everyone's preferred recipe for no knead bread please? I went on a cooking course and discovered the joy of doing a loaf in a Dutch oven, but their recipe had approximately a million kneading steps.

I've used this one a million times and there's literally zero kneading required. The only time you even touch the dough is to form it into a loaf right before baking. The only modification I've had to make to this recipe is some extra water since the hydration level it calls for is never enough to absorb all the flour in the first step, in my experience.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

I wrote it up in the bread thread; I think it's the OP.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I picked up Flour Salt Water Yeast and the author advocates for autolyse plus super minimal folding bread rather than completely no knead and it's vastly improved the texture and rise I get from my loaves.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Folding it a few times while it's fermenting will absolutely improve the texture of your bread. Gluten is a matrix that likes to align in one direction (which is why you create tension on the loaf, so you can increase that internal pressure and get more oven spring) and if you fold it, you force it to develop new linkages in a new direction, strengthening the overall structure of the bread.

It isn't 100% necessary, but it's a good idea.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
LOL if you don't kneed your bread with a taffy puller.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Casu Marzu posted:

I picked up Flour Salt Water Yeast and the author advocates for autolyse plus super minimal folding bread rather than completely no knead and it's vastly improved the texture and rise I get from my loaves.
Yeah, this. I make the Pain de Campagne and Overnight Country Blonde from the book all the time, all they need are a handful of folds after mixing and they always come out better than any bread I've ever tried to knead.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I are working through Chopped Junior on Hulu and one of the ingredients in a basket last night was a Berkshire pork chop. The judges, Ted Allen, and the contestants were going on and on about how nice a cut it is and how it's got some great marbling, but I swear those pork chops had absolutely no fat in them, no marbling, aside from the fat cap. They looked more like center-cut pork chops than anything with marbling. What gives? Are people not looking at the same fuckin' pork chop I am??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I are working through Chopped Junior on Hulu and one of the ingredients in a basket last night was a Berkshire pork chop. The judges, Ted Allen, and the contestants were going on and on about how nice a cut it is and how it's got some great marbling, but I swear those pork chops had absolutely no fat in them, no marbling, aside from the fat cap. They looked more like center-cut pork chops than anything with marbling. What gives? Are people not looking at the same fuckin' pork chop I am??

big pork is desperately trying to erase their history of erasing fat from the lot hogs