Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

I actually disagree with part of that. There are some areas where the backers will never change their minds about "DS sucks", "They are doing something never done before", "Not-a-scam" and so on, so if you approach them from an angle that kinda smells like those they immediately get into a defensive position. But if you just have a regular conversation about some meaningless detail and slowly move it towards something more important you get some surprising results. People are changing their mind about the game and it is almost always from being positive about it into getting disillusioned, and all the tech demos in the world won't help in the long run with them. I have not seen a single dude (besides that guy that posts in here with the MLP avatar who bought in twice, lol) go the other way around.

Hell, there is even semi-reasonable(!!) people on r/dereksmart as long as you don't try to defend the good doctor.

Nobody loving cares about their feelings or their safe space. If they're too loving stupid to see the forest from the trees, let them have their dreams because they deserve to be scammed - and I hope croberts continues to do that because the end result will be even more hilarious when they finally realize that he's never - ever - going to give them the game they're dreaming up.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

I mean still, when you think about it, this is like the most incredible goose, laying golden eggs like a motherfucker. That revenue, wobble though it might, is coming in by the millions, year after year, to a business that has produced no things, with no idea when it will start.

Millions and millions and millions. For nothing. Such is the power of delusion and denial in this our modern technological dreamscape.

Indeed. Even though it doesn't account for refunds, is totally not actual numbers, it's incredible to think that there are people (monthly subs aside) still putting money in this. However, as they say, they bigger it gets, the harder it will fall. It's going to be an amazing spectacle when it does because they clearly don't have the funding to keep this train wreck afloat much longer. Even the CC2017 funding is barely going to pay for one month of their expenses.

----------------

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I bet your rear end, whenever Dual Universe goes to prove itself to be functional multiplayer wise, CIG is gonna try to license their netcode.

The gently caress?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

I bet your rear end, whenever Dual Universe goes to prove itself to be functional multiplayer wise, CIG is gonna try to license their netcode.

The gently caress?

Yeah, I know. That code is so old and rudimentary, I winced when I saw it again last week.

----------------

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress?

Derek is trying to explain why his games are buggy pieces of poo poo while assuming that someone must understand and care as much as he does.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eXXon posted:

Derek is trying to explain why his games are buggy pieces of poo poo while assuming that someone must understand and care as much as he does.
"The gently caress" referred to the funky way to write out what I presume are supposed to be floats. It's like someone tried to look 1337.

--edit: On the other hand, if this is supposed to be some hosed up integer rotation matrix bullshit, way to save some CPU cycles.
--edit: The more I look at it, the more confused I get.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 28, 2017

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
These incredibly flashy bullshot demos, all having nothing to do with the actual game code and created purely to fleece idiots of their cash, are going to be the final gilded nail in the coffin of this loving mess.

The more separated these "demos" appear from the actual game proper the worse it'll be. All Chris cares about is keeping the money coming in, but at some point, the reality of what Chris Roberts is capable of building (spoiler: pure poo poo) will hit home and then the delta between what was shown and what was delivered will be thrown into sharp relief.

"Where are the cities, Chris? Where is the sandworm? Where is loving ANYTHING?" And of course there will be nothing. PCGamer, who evidently played a full version of 3.0 with planetary landings etc. a goddamed year ago despite it objectively not existing, will get away with lying, but will CIG?

Long-term viability sacrificed on the altar of short-term profit. Sound reasoning IMO.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

These incredibly flashy bullshot demos, all having nothing to do with the actual game code and created purely to fleece idiots of their cash, are going to be the final gilded nail in the coffin of this loving mess.

The more separated these "demos" appear from the actual game proper the worse it'll be. All Chris cares about is keeping the money coming in, but at some point, the reality of what Chris Roberts is capable of building (spoiler: pure poo poo) will hit home and then the delta between what was shown and what was delivered will be thrown into sharp relief.

"Where are the cities, Chris? Where is the sandworm? Where is loving ANYTHING?" And of course there will be nothing. PCGamer, who evidently played a full version of 3.0 with planetary landings etc. a goddamed year ago despite it objectively not existing, will get away with lying, but will CIG?

Long-term viability sacrificed on the altar of short-term profit. Sound reasoning IMO.

Anything to keep the funding going, the dream alive. A normal gaming community with tempered expectations could never produce laughs at this rate and personally I'm grateful for every bit of lying and shilling going on.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If you're new to this whole thing you might be missing out on a large portion of comedy. You see, Chris did a presentation on ArcCorp (the procedural/hand-crafted city/moon/planet from yesterday's presentation) back in 2014.
Here's what it looked like then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVODuGFCMg&t=5950s

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
There's a video online of just the ArcCorp part without all the bugs or Chris talking but I didn't want to ruin your immersion.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Moon citizen

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

thatguy posted:

If you're new to this whole thing you might be missing out on a large portion of comedy. You see, Chris did a presentation on ArcCorp (the procedural/hand-crafted city/moon/planet from yesterday's presentation) back in 2014.
Here's what it looked like then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVODuGFCMg&t=5950s

I just watched this on an optane youtube machine, and it looks glorious. Where's the comedy?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

So CC17 in a nutshell:

Nothing has changed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Golli posted:

I just watched this on an optane youtube machine, and it looks glorious. Where's the comedy?

Think about MoMA for a minute, it'll come

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Star Citizen: Travel needs to have meaning in a game like this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tried to look up some leaked footage from that Evocati build. The few bits that are available still only revolve around that old dumbass ringed space station.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

AutismVaccine posted:

Star Citizen: Travel needs to have meaning in a game like this.

That to me is the worst thing about this performance art piece - particularly if actually they wanted it to ultimately be a playable MMO. Over the years I have played a few MMO's, and the prerendered demo yesterday contained all of the timesink travel problems that ultimately led to abandonment from boredom.

Walking around from point A to point B with no waypoints or objectives available and visible (particularly for a new player).

Vanilla WOW was my first MMO. Saw a video of an early Onyxia kill and decided to give it a try. Valley of Trials went OK, then when they kicked me out, I wandered blindly out of the Valley and immediately took a hard right, wound up on the other side of the river in the Barrens - and got repeatedly owned by level 13 giraffes.

After about 20 hours and many deaths, and talking to a guy at work who showed me the Onyxia video, I found out about mounts. So I toughed it out. Over the years, WOW has improved the travel experience - realizing that doing stuff at Point A or Point B is more fun to more people that getting between the two points.

Complicated mount summoning rituals -

SWTOR is a good example of this. The first time you go to your instanced hangar and get in your ship, walk around, 'talk' to your crew, travel (instantly) to your destination, then go through destination starport hangar, the starport, find a taxi stand and go to your next quest-giver was cool. The 12000th time was tedious. But at least travel between planets was fast.

Slow travel in space -

EVE is a good example of this. Even barring null, and low-sec travel, which is hard by design. It takes forever to get to someplace to (maybe) do something interesting. I did Red Frog freight hauling for a stretch, which was a fairly safe way to build up what at the time I felt was a lot of spacebux. But there was one system that took two or three minutes (maybe it was more but I don't want to exaggerate. It felt like forever) in warp to get from one gate to another - and I soon learned to pass on any contract available that included that system.

And these are all things that Chris seems to emphasize as the COOL PARTS of a potential MMO.

Hard pass. Thanks.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AutismVaccine posted:

So CC17 in a nutshell:

Nothing has changed.

That's not entirely true, CIG figured out how to replicate the building zoning and placement tech from SimCity2000

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've been a long time lurker but had to grit my teeth and pay up just to explain....well gloat on all you clowns,

Like how does it taste? The biggest event of the year where you guys were sourly clenching your fingers in anticipation of mocking something better than yourselves.

But Chris delivered. Showing Dereek Farts and you idiots what is possible in gaming.

You guys are pretty much silent, trying anything in your power to smear this accomplishment and its ugly. You have nothing solid to point at and say this is bad. Its all supposition and honestly, lies.

See you in the loving Verse friends.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You paid $10 to say that.

We win again!

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009

SCtrumpHaters posted:

So I've been a long time lurker but had to grit my teeth and pay up just to explain....well gloat on all you clowns,

Like how does it taste? The biggest event of the year where you guys were sourly clenching your fingers in anticipation of mocking something better than yourselves.

But Chris delivered. Showing Dereek Farts and you idiots what is possible in gaming.

You guys are pretty much silent, trying anything in your power to smear this accomplishment and its ugly. You have nothing solid to point at and say this is bad. Its all supposition and honestly, lies.

Tastes like you are trying a little too hard

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dooguk posted:

Crobber has a head like a doorknob. Anyone can turn it.

Nice

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Erenthal posted:

also googling the federal trade commission led me to discovering that their latest campaign against student loan scams is called "Operation Game of Loans"

Okay not going to lie, that's pretty awesome.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SCtrumpHaters posted:

And then he.... waited.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Well Derek has all kinds of insider information and solid proof that would 100% result in legal action by CIG action against him that he won’t post because reasons and also he called it and also they’re running out of money and furthermore

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hardycore posted:

Tastes like you are trying a little too hard

That’s just the overture. Relax, grab a drink.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SCtrumpHaters posted:

I like this guy, he's got balls

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Dreams

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Regrettable posted:

Pretty much. You can use it for gaming but you won't see much benefit over a 960 Pro.

...M2.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SCtrumpHaters posted:

You guys are pretty much silent, trying anything in your power to smear this accomplishment and its ugly. You have nothing solid to point at and say this is bad

Well, there was the keynote and the opening address and all the bits inbetween, but aside from those minor bad points, yes, nothing was bad.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Derek Farts.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SCtrumpHaters posted:

How's Tim doing after Citizencon

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SCtrumpHaters posted:

r u ok copmmando?

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

Tokamak posted:

That part is true. It was six hours of presentations that I don't think anyone here sat through. The keynote was Star Citizen purgatory. A commando uneventfully floating through a morass of art. It was incredibly dull and numbing to the point that the part with the only amusing bug (NPCs standing on chairs) barely got a mention.

The tech banality and swelling scope just barely sustained me. And space captain Morgan.

Looking forward to the base building mechanics to get roughed in and released. This game is promising to be the glitchiest and unbalanced in history. The only risk is that CiG completely goes under, so pledge generously, commandos!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If plan A comes off then a really turgid and generic space game will be born.
Thank god CIG are so loving useless

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

But people in the thread have said a whole bunch that if a real and good game comes out, they'll be happy to play it, lol. Why do ragers always miss this point?

It won't deligitimize complaints and criticism about how that game came to be either way, additionally. You can enjoy an outcome but still admit the way you got there was stupid as hell, and CIG has done a lot of poo poo wrong that won't just disappear if SC is the best game ever. It is okay to not be 200% a shill OR someone who vapidly spews vitriol. There are in betweens.

Breathe and enjoy life a little, friend.

Also spend your ten bucks on something nice for yourself next time, like a tasty chicken sandwich!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Vr'a atna yo mama.

Only a true Citizen will understand this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tokamak posted:

That part is true. It was six hours of presentations that I don't think anyone here sat through.

I did.

There was a brief pause while I was in a meeting, but the rest was pure Vogon poetry.

A thumb speaks next to a box and introduces Intel, who have staple their NudeTane to a limited edition ship. Mutual masturbation commences for 25 minutes.

Stairs, stairs, ramps, sliding, alter the angle of the foot to the normal of the plane, raycast to the future, produce flawless strafing over low obstacles, ditto for backwards, treat barrels and bodies the same as concrete, *don't talk about stairs*.

We ripped off simplified Chinese and made a space turtle.

How to create planetary environments in seventy-five slides.

Buy our ship because in a future, you'll be able to build outposts, although how they show up to other people is a grey area.

A thumb speaks again, while someone carefully (to avoid the motion blur) navigates through an environment that is carefully tuned.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 28, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

I did.

There was a brief pause while I was in a meeting, but the rest was pure Vogon poetry.

I went out :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You have to wonder if it's the failure of the artists or their art being sent back so many times with roberts saying "THIS IS WHAT I WANT SO MAKE THAT" and pointing to google image searches that they just say gently caress it and give him exactly what he asks for

one of the presentations they said they give cr at least 6 deigns for a ship. he then picks what parts he likes and they then mash it together for the next iteration. that has to result in a lot of unused work and he is probably pretty random in what he likes. no wonder if they often don't try very hard.