Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

aborn posted:

What the gently caress is this :psyboom:

Let me use this example: Imagine four hackers on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the hacker nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of hackers and takes the place of the first hacker. The formerly first hacker becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Race works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
china numba one

at hacking

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Astarath posted:

The vast majority of players aren't hackers, the vast majority of chinese players aren't hackers, but you only need 1% of your player base cheating to have at least one person ruining most, possibly even all, games at any one point in time. When most of the people doing the ruining have a common element to their name, that's where the stereotype starts.

Is it still a stereotype if that "common element" is mandarin shorthand for hacker and a weibo link?

revolther posted:

This is also how crime statistics are skewed.
also lol, I'm glad you didn't expound upon this

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I have yet to be killed by a sonic the hedgehog impersonator that triumphantly chants "Deutschland uber alles"

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

lohli posted:

I have yet to be killed by a sonic the hedgehog impersonator that triumphantly chants "Deutschland uber alles"

You haven't really lived then

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gotta blitz france

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

Hooplah posted:

Is it still a stereotype if that "common element" is mandarin shorthand for hacker and a weibo link?

well, yes. that's literally what a stereotype is :confused:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Hooplah posted:

Gotta blitz france

:eyepop:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Astarath posted:

well, yes. that's literally what a stereotype is :confused:

A stereotype would need to be further oversimplified, past the literal fact of the matter :psyduck:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

10/10 hackers on the NA server I run into have Chinese names. That's not racism.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

:ghost:yo post your spooky chicken dinners. here is mine. :drac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpmm3Li1krI

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Do the Chinese actually cheat more than others, though? I must have played thousands of rounds by now and I've only ever run into two cheaters, neither of which appeared to be Chinese. Sure, the TPP leaderboards are filled with hackers with Chinese names, but those are people hoping to make money, which could just as well have to do with the facts that the game's cheaper in China and that it has only recently grown as popular over there.

I really don't give a poo poo about whether goons are politically correct or not, I'm genuinely curious. At the same time, though, it does seem like a bit of a stretch to say that the majority of cheaters is Chinese as a result of their supposed super competitive upbringing.

VulgarandStupid posted:

10/10 hackers on the NA server I run into have Chinese names. That's not racism.

I suppose I may have been lucky and have run into relatively few hackers then.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 29, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Parallel Playa posted:

Do the Chinese actually cheat more than others, though?

Yes.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Do Indians not p!ay video games? No one ever talks about Indians playing video games.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

cosmicjim posted:

Do Indians not p!ay video games? No one ever talks about Indians playing video games.

An Indian person has never played a video game, no.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Fauxshiz posted:

An Indian person has never played a video game, no.

That's what I figured.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
China is a lot richer than India, a relevant statistic as far as online gaming goes is that while 50% of chinese have internet access only 25% of indians do.

In a decade or so we will all talk about Indian hackers I'm sure.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I assume some of the perception of chinese cheating more also come from stories like this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/10132391/Riot-after-Chinese-teachers-try-to-stop-pupils-cheating.html

https://qz.com/96793/chinese-students-and-their-parents-fight-for-the-right-to-cheat/

quote:

The rift amounted to this: Metal detectors had been installed in schools to route out students carrying hearing or transmitting devices. More invigilators were hired to monitor the college entrance exam and patrol campus for people transmitting answers to students. Female students were patted down. In response, angry parents and students championed their right to cheat. Not cheating, they said, would put them at a disadvantage in a country where student cheating has become standard practice. “We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat,” they chanted.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

lohli posted:

Chinese players being problematic due to cheating isn't anything new, there's a cultural thing about how it's only bad if you get caught, and it's fed by a super competitive and high social/parental pressure environment that has people cheating in exams and poo poo to get ahead in life and why China is world renowned for garbage imitation goods that break and sub-standard steel, and that attitude has Chinese players cheating way more than others. The best/worst example of this I remember is in the minecraft zombie game 7daystodie, where if you don't IP range ban china you're guaranteed to have your server griefed to poo poo by hackers constantly.

That cheat developers have a way to have their poo poo advertised built into the game only makes things worse, they should at least filter those names out of the leaderboard lists.

just google chabuduo

its the same attitude making cheating on quality okay that makes cheating on anything okay

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

just google chabuduo

its the same attitude making cheating on quality okay that makes cheating on anything okay

https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-corner-cutting-reveals-about-modernity
http://tw.forumosa.com/t/mr-cha-buduo-a-translation/85249

Chinese people love cheating. I live in Taiwan.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I play mostly TPP squads, and we've run into countless hackers over the course of my 1,000+ hours in game. Every single one of them has a name like xiao696942 or something similar. Chinese players like to cheat. gently caress it. Whatever. Makes killing them much sweeter.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Hopefully they tank the value of boxes and cosmetics enough that it’s not economical for them keep buying new accounts with their illgotten bps, but that would only last until they introduce a new crate.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

cosmicjim posted:

Hopefully they tank the value of boxes and cosmetics enough that it’s not economical for them keep buying new accounts with their illgotten bps, but that would only last until they introduce a new crate.

Look as long as the pubg box economy exists I get a dandy 5 dollar discount on dumb video games on steam once a month, so.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Look as long as the pubg box economy exists I get a dandy 5 dollar discount on dumb video games on steam once a month, so.

This is true. I currently make about $1.50 a week playing this game.

Edit - Looks like someone made another big gamescom crate buy. They are over $5 again.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 29, 2017

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010
We veered away from the valuting update discussion so gently caress the silly casual non-racism discussion and let's get back on track. I have a feeling that the way Bluehole acquits itself of the vaulting and climbing game mechanics and implementation will effectively tell us how well the rest of the game improvement will go. The basic design stuff like the sound design needs to be fixed and I have this sinking feeling BH might not be able to actually finish this game off properly or won't because of pressure to release or corner cutting or whatever.

It's obvious though that the popularity of battle royale with semi simulation/realistic gunfighting is popular and we all keep saying "SOMEBODY COULD DO BETTER". I think somebody will but I'm wondering who it might be. Any ideas what engine/company/franchise/indie studio could steal PUBG's lunch? Someone said Facepunch/Garry and I would be super stoked about that if they took the Rust engine tooled it up a bit more for BR. Someone already is working on this exact idea it seems. http://rustbattleroyale.com/ Anybody tried it?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Yes, all of this. I lived in Shanghai for awhile. Cheating is not necessarily seen as anything bad, culturally it just means to an end and whatever's most convenient and expedient.

See also: piracy, knock-off anything, bribery, government contractors leading to building collapse, etc.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 29, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ninjalicious posted:

We veered away from the valuting update discussion so gently caress the silly casual non-racism discussion and let's get back on track. I have a feeling that the way Bluehole acquits itself of the vaulting and climbing game mechanics and implementation will effectively tell us how well the rest of the game improvement will go. The basic design stuff like the sound design needs to be fixed and I have this sinking feeling BH might not be able to actually finish this game off properly or won't because of pressure to release or corner cutting or whatever.

It's obvious though that the popularity of battle royale with semi simulation/realistic gunfighting is popular and we all keep saying "SOMEBODY COULD DO BETTER". I think somebody will but I'm wondering who it might be. Any ideas what engine/company/franchise/indie studio could steal PUBG's lunch? Someone said Facepunch/Garry and I would be super stoked about that if they took the Rust engine tooled it up a bit more for BR. Someone already is working on this exact idea it seems. http://rustbattleroyale.com/ Anybody tried it?

I don't know if the rust team would be an improvement

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ninjalicious posted:

Probably in a year or two EA will put out a Battlefield: Battle Royale and we'll all grudgingly play it because even though it's EA and they will make us use their launcher and a stupid browser based matchmaker and do some preorder fuckery where you can only get a ghillie suit if you buy the special gamestop edition it will be the most polished and finished BR game of the rapidly growing shitheap.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I'm sorry but you're wrong I will never buy a game on origin.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I'm sorry but you're wrong I will never buy a game on origin.

Good point, I also can't picture myself buying a game on origin either which kinda pokes holes in my theory.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Same, never again

also, whoever came up with BF1's menu system makes bluehole look like geniuses

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah Dice's offerings have been progressively worse since BC2 with no inidication they're aware.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah Dice's offerings have been progressively worse since BC2 with no inidication they're aware.

They basically don’t care about the PC market because they get so many pack-in deals with consoles. But that tick rate, though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait, are they still doing the dumb browser based stuff? I haven’t played a Battlefield game in any capacity since the one where you could blow up the big dumb skyscraper.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
https://clips.twitch.tv/SpikyZanyCockroachThisIsSparta

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Battle Royale in Fortnite seems to be a lot of fun, and is picking up popularity. With a few more content patches I think they could be the ones to take PUBG down, but not really, much like how FPS games came after CSGO, or moba's came out after DOTA 2, it's going to be pretty strong due to being first.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
People have been spamming battlefield devs in every possible medium of communication demanding a battlefield royale, so they're at least aware of how badly everyone wants to play a BR game on a non-garbage engine with non-garbage netcode.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Battle Royale in Fortnite seems to be a lot of fun, and is picking up popularity. With a few more content patches I think they could be the ones to take PUBG down, but not really, much like how FPS games came after CSGO, or moba's came out after DOTA 2, it's going to be pretty strong due to being first.

Also Fortnite completely fails in terms of:

Ninjalicious posted:

the popularity of battle royale with semi simulation/realistic gunfighting

I think a lot of people aren't giving enough consideration to the fact that part of PUBG's popularity stems from it being one of the first ARMA-likes that is easily accessible to a wider-audience.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Turtlicious posted:

Battle Royale in Fortnite seems to be a lot of fun, and is picking up popularity.

I just can't take it seriously. It's like WoW. Yeah it was super popular but it looked so stupid (to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really disliked the art style of PUBG when I was looking at it, so that's kind of interesting, I prefer highly stylized to semi-realistic, if only because the former tends to be on purpose.

Of course, I haven't actually played both, and have been watching streams. It seems like PUBG had a major issue where some guns are straight up useless, and others are ridiculous, like the rocket launcher just seems goofy.

• Locked thread