Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

NO other game could pull this off! Well, maybe F-Zero on the SNES with shitloads of anti-aliasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

runsamok posted:

Top speed: the same as a Corvette. Not the ship class, the Chevrolet. From 2017.

85m/s = 190mph.

Nope. 85m/s is 510 Kph or 316 mph. Not that it matters - the Chevy exists.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I don’t get how someone taking even a cursory glance at the proper nouns in this game doesn’t immediately pick up that a simpleton is calling the shots.

Stanton

Hurston

Yela

Microtech

ArcCorp

It’s just...so bad. Sometimes I say those names out loud when no one is around and just cackle.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

squirrelzipper posted:

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

squirrelzipper posted:

I'd like to see your math

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Winter Stormer posted:

85 m/s x 3,6 = 306 km/h

So i dont really know how you can reach 510 or the other value :D

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 29, 2017

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

No you really don’t. I uh, yeah. Was distracted. And wrong, in a most obvious fashion.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

AutismVaccine posted:

85 m/s x 3,6 = 306 km/h

So i dont really know how you can reach 510 or the other value :D

Well 85 m/s is 5100 metres a minute. Ahem.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

:vince:

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017
Nevermind.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

squirrelzipper posted:

Well 85 m/s is 5100 metres a minute. Ahem.

meters per minute just sounds so wrong :D

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

I was going to say I think funmini-games during load times are trademarked or something, but then I remembered this is star citizen so that won't be a problem.

Crazy they even got that considering Invade-a-Load was a thing on the C64 back in the 80s.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
glory to stimpotzka

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

squirrelzipper posted:

So, almost half the max speed of a Boeing 747. That's progress I guess.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

OK, so less than a 3rd of the max speed of a Boeing 747 then. Even better.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Jpegs, Please

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wait CitizenCon was Friday? Did anything happen at all?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao :five::five::five:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

MilesK posted:

I fell asleep while Chris was flying around the endless city of boxes. Did they show anything else?

watching the stream at a low resolution it was very similar to watching Derek stream lod. Derek is at least able to talk about what his game does.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Meanwhile at :reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/79datn/its_a_pipe_dream_at_the_moment_enhanced/

PC gaming is saved after all.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
More like PC jpegging

Pegging backers via PC

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sectopod posted:

The koolaid is strong with this one.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sectopod posted:

Well, alright.

But who called it?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I'd legit play the poo poo out of a mod like this. Far more than Star Citizen itself anyway. :v:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

:vince:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Parpers, Please

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Solarin posted:

Parpers, Please
Jpeg, Bitte.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/924437519722094592

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
lol nobody on that stage acknowledged her

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy posted:

Would you have?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Pledges, please.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Whoah

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

They probably thought she was a cardboard cut-out.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This needs to be in the OP.

You can tell Citizencon was a success, look at all those happy, smiling faces.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mu77ley posted:

They probably thought she was a cardboard cut-out.
She was.

Where's that clip...

https://i.imgur.com/nBVlGxK.mp4

That's her watching Chris cut cake.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 29, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How to fix the issue of people ship trolling in cities without affecting other players

I believe I figured out how to solve the issue of players ramming into others, hovering too close to populated areas, and so forth.

Player/Building Ramming:

Player Ramming - While flying in the city, have a recorded timeline of the last 6 seconds of flight time as far as velocity and acceleration. When a ship collides with another ship while in the city(while under a couple thousand meters in altitude), an algorithm will detect the two ships that collided and compare the previous velocity/acceleration between the two ships, as well as the direction and point of impact on both ships, and attempt to make a good educated determination of who purposely rammed who. Someone who had a higher velocity and/or acceleration, and their point of impact was their nose, might be determined as the player at fault. This would not be applicable to small AI ships flying around. For that, you should just be able to go through their ships. Either that or still damage your ship if you attempt to hit them multiple times. AI ships would also attempt to stop if you're in it's near trajectory.

If the game detects that someone purposely rammed into another ship, the person who it determined not to be at fault would be unaffected other than maybe a small camera shake and sound. For whoever was deemed to be at fault, it would knock out their engines for a few seconds, then very slowly build back to full power over the course of a couple minutes. The length and what happens to that person should determine on the strength of the impact..So if you accidentally bump into someone, it might just weaken your engines for 2-15 seconds and make your screens flicker. No actual damage would occur. If it's a hard impact, your camera would obviously shake and screens would show a rebooting screen. Your engines would go down for 15-20 seconds. It would also damage your ship in such a way that your ship might be slower or cause you issues and you would have to have it repaired somewhere, costing a fair amount of money. There would also be cosmetic damage.

If the game detects a player has purposely rammed into multiple people over the last 2 or 3 minutes, it would knock there engines offline for slightly longer, slow their engines down much more lasting 5-10 minutes, and damage their ship even more costing the player more money at a repair facility/launch pad.

Building Ramming - There should be sort of the same concept with ramming into buildings. It would break the immersion if we saw people flying around ramming into buildings all the time. There should be a little more leniency in this for those learning how to fly, but still have a negative effect if you decide you want to keep ramming into buildings..So, it would only cause ship damage if you hit a building hard more than once per 10 minutes for example. Small bumps would only cause a minor amount of damage like 1-5% depending on impact strength, with the first couple bumps being damage free.

Ship trolling on walkways or other areas where there are people walking around:

Set up small long metal beams/lines that hover around walk ways like bridges, or make bridges have windowed walkways kind of like this but without the water of course.

For open areas, have barely noticeable laser beam perimeters covering a large open areas signifying for ships to not cross that point. Some open areas could even have illuminated/lit marking balls hanging from wires similar to what airplanes have in real life(like so). If your ship were to go past one of those laser warnings, there would be another visible laser that fires from a certain point at your ship(kind of like a tractor beam) and starts to push your ship out of the zone. You'd also receive a government issued fine if you can afford to pay it. The fine amount would determine how much money you have. If you're rich, it would take a percentage of your money like 2-5%.

I fully believe that ships should still be able to fly low in the city and maybe even land on lower landing pads. Flying vertically through city might be really fun. Do any of you remember Bruce Willis on The Fifth Element and his Taxi cab? Imagine being able to do something almost similar to that in a smaller ship. That would definitely make having a smaller ship a little more fun, and making you feel less left out because you don't have a large, less capable, ship.

Edit: It would definitely be cool in Arccorp if there were dangerous areas with valuable ore and a couple dangerous cities where player combat is not only encouraged, but extra fun due to the fact that you might be able chase someone or outrun someone flying through the lower part of the city and be able to use various nooks and crannys to hide out.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 29, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

SelenicMartian posted:

That's her watching Chris cut cake.

This is how Chris cuts a slice of cake:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

How to fix the issue of people ship trolling in cities without affecting other players

I believe I figured out how to solve the issue of players ramming into others, hovering too close to populated areas, and so forth.

Player/Building Ramming:

Player Ramming - While flying in the city, have a recorded timeline of the last 6 seconds of flight time as far as velocity and acceleration. When a ship collides with another ship while in the city(while under a couple thousand meters in altitude), an algorithm will detect the two ships that collided and compare the previous velocity/acceleration between the two ships, as well as the direction and point of impact on both ships, and attempt to make a good educated determination of who purposely rammed who. Someone who had a higher velocity and/or acceleration, and their point of impact was their nose, might be determined as the player at fault. This would not be applicable to small AI ships flying around. For that, you should just be able to go through their ships. Either that or still damage your ship if you attempt to hit them multiple times. AI ships would also attempt to stop if you're in it's near trajectory.

If the game detects that someone purposely rammed into another ship, the person who it determined not to be at fault would be unaffected other than maybe a small camera shake and sound. For whoever was deemed to be at fault, it would knock out their engines for a few seconds, then very slowly build back to full power over the course of a couple minutes. The length and what happens to that person should determine on the strength of the impact..So if you accidentally bump into someone, it might just weaken your engines for 2-15 seconds and make your screens flicker. No actual damage would occur. If it's a hard impact, your camera would obviously shake and screens would show a rebooting screen. Your engines would go down for 15-20 seconds. It would also damage your ship in such a way that your ship might be slower or cause you issues and you would have to have it repaired somewhere, costing a fair amount of money. There would also be cosmetic damage.

If the game detects a player has purposely rammed into multiple people over the last 2 or 3 minutes, it would knock there engines offline for slightly longer, slow their engines down much more lasting 5-10 minutes, and damage their ship even more costing the player more money at a repair facility/launch pad.

Building Ramming - There should be sort of the same concept with ramming into buildings. It would break the immersion if we saw people flying around ramming into buildings all the time. There should be a little more leniency in this for those learning how to fly, but still have a negative effect if you decide you want to keep ramming into buildings..So, it would only cause ship damage if you hit a building hard more than once per 10 minutes for example. Small bumps would only cause a minor amount of damage like 1-5% depending on impact strength, with the first couple bumps being damage free.

Ship trolling on walkways or other areas where there are people walking around:

Set up small long metal beams/lines that hover around walk ways like bridges, or make bridges have windowed walkways kind of like this but without the water of course.

For open areas, have barely noticeable laser beam perimeters covering a large open areas signifying for ships to not cross that point. Some open areas could even have illuminated/lit marking balls hanging from wires similar to what airplanes have in real life(like so). If your ship were to go past one of those laser warnings, there would be another visible laser that fires from a certain point at your ship(kind of like a tractor beam) and starts to push your ship out of the zone. You'd also receive a government issued fine if you can afford to pay it. The fine amount would determine how much money you have. If you're rich, it would take a percentage of your money like 2-5%.

I fully believe that ships should still be able to fly low in the city and maybe even land on lower landing pads. Flying vertically through city might be really fun. Do any of you remember Bruce Willis on The Fifth Element and his Taxi cab? Imagine being able to do something almost similar to that in a smaller ship. That would definitely make having a smaller ship a little more fun, and making you feel less left out because you don't have a large, less capable, ship.

Edit: It would definitely be cool in Arccorp if there were dangerous areas with valuable ore and a couple dangerous cities where player combat is not only encouraged, but extra fun due to the fact that you might be able chase someone or outrun someone flying through the lower part of the city and be able to use various nooks and crannys to hide out.

counterpoint

the car exploding the instant it touched the ramp, and two idrises bouncing of each other like they were made of rubber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Abuminable posted:

This is how Chris cuts a slice of cake:

at least he didnt spit on it like last time