Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I wish all you escapees the best of luck. :unsmith:

I don't mind my job right now. Most of the people I work with do their jobs and don't actively make things loving harder for the people around them. If it wasn't for ~retail things~ I'd be pretty content overall.

Kid me: "Oh man there are so many cool things I could be or study in college."

Adult me: "Man, life would be sweet if I had health insurance. Just imagine how much more money I could put into savings if I made two more dollars an hour..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

poo poo. Wrong thread.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This is a verbatim quote from our stores recent set of goals:

"Selling less of higher price items is smarter trading"

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Zenithe posted:

This is a verbatim quote from our stores recent set of goals:

"Selling less of higher price items is smarter trading"

I dont even know how to respond to that.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Zombie frappucino tastes disgusting (would have been better with caramel instead of mocha drizzle) and I'm so sick of making them but I imagine it could be a lot worse.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
I left early Tuesday because I was vomiting. Checked in with the assistant kitchen manager, searched the store for my boss, pages my boss twice, searched for her again, let my underling know what was going on, checked out with the assistant, texted my boss, and left.

Forty minutes later, my boss texted me saying I needed to check with her before leaving. Today I got written up for it.

Friendly reminder I was vomiting and I work with food.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Did you invite your boss to go gently caress herself sideways with a poleaxe? Genuinely interested in how you responded to being written up for failure to stroke her fragile ego

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kickshaw posted:

Friendly reminder I was vomiting and I work with food.

Tell her the CDC and FDA both say she can go gently caress herself, and you did the right thing. Hell, you should have rolled out probably 20 minutes earlier than you did.
https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/RetailFoodProtection/IndustryandRegulatoryAssistanceandTrainingResources/ucm113827.htm

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Got told today that my department doesn't deserve a digital thermometer because one person doesn't calibrate them regularly. This is from my department's lead, too. She's extremely angry that the department is falling apart, morale is low, and nothing's being done about it.

People keep quitting, and there's lots of in-fighting. I wonder why.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

Got told today that my department doesn't deserve a digital thermometer because one person doesn't calibrate them regularly. This is from my department's lead, too. She's extremely angry that the department is falling apart, morale is low, and nothing's being done about it.

People keep quitting, and there's lots of in-fighting. I wonder why.

Clearly your department manager doesnt deserve a good department.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
"We only do a crosshatch caramel drizzle on macchiatos" on what planet does it loving matter

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Customer: Walks in, grabs cart: "Where is your powdered laundry detergent."
Me: "Through the Christmas aisle, if you don't see it in the next row, it's in the next Aisle over from that."
Customer: Gets past the register, turns a corner: "Can you show me, I didn't even try to lookstill can't find it."
Me: "Oh.. kay." Shows her where it is.
Customer: Gets her powder and walks up front, stands in view of the Milk cooler. "Where's your Milk?"
Me: in the middle of a transaction with another customer, "Right behind you." (The other employee walked up front at this time)
Customer: "Where?"
Both of us point at the milk, "Right there."
Customer: "OOOOHHH, there it is!" Gets the milk and comes back, buys the milk and powdered laundry detergent. "Oh, do you guys have Gel pens? That's what I came in here for!" The other employee goes and grabs some gel pens, while the lady gets distracted by some clearance stuff. "Oh, actually I don't want the gel pens."

Bitch, go look for your own poo poo, and make a list. If you want all your poo poo and don't want to shop, order on-line.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Anora posted:

Customer: Walks in, grabs cart: "Where is your powdered laundry detergent."
Me: "Through the Christmas aisle, if you don't see it in the next row, it's in the next Aisle over from that."
Customer: Gets past the register, turns a corner: "Can you show me, I didn't even try to lookstill can't find it."
Me: "Oh.. kay." Shows her where it is.
Customer: Gets her powder and walks up front, stands in view of the Milk cooler. "Where's your Milk?"
Me: in the middle of a transaction with another customer, "Right behind you." (The other employee walked up front at this time)
Customer: "Where?"
Both of us point at the milk, "Right there."
Customer: "OOOOHHH, there it is!" Gets the milk and comes back, buys the milk and powdered laundry detergent. "Oh, do you guys have Gel pens? That's what I came in here for!" The other employee goes and grabs some gel pens, while the lady gets distracted by some clearance stuff. "Oh, actually I don't want the gel pens."

Bitch, go look for your own poo poo, and make a list. If you want all your poo poo and don't want to shop, order on-line.

When I get a customer this unashamedly stupid, I assume I'm getting mystery shopped.
Like today, a guy walks past the meat counter to ask me where the meat counter is. I didn't walk him to it and ask him about his day and thank him for shopping with us, so I'll probably hear about that fail next time the store director sees me.

gently caress it, I'm union

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mystery shoppers in my company are employees who get given a $15 budget to go and do them at other stores.

So imagine all of the stupid poo poo that goes with mystery shoppers and then add a nice helping of class traitor to it.

cephalopods posted:

When I get a customer this unashamedly stupid, I assume I'm getting mystery shopped.

Alternatively, one of their friends is stealing things.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 29, 2017

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I was training a new girl on drive thru, which is weird because I'm not 100% at that area but all the shifts were busy training others, and oh my god it was awful. Every customer was an rear end in a top hat in a hurry and wanted to reload their cards or do some other weird poo poo. That stuff can be done quickly, but when you have someone new at the window who only has a vague idea of what to do and they obviously did something but it didn't work so now theyre explaining to me what they did and now I have a headache trying to figure it out and talk down the customer raising their voice at the same time which ends with me calling the shift over and telling them to handle it.

When she went on her break she told me she was so tempted to just leave and I told her its a weekend and its cold out so everyone wants coffee and its gonna be hard but you'll get the hang of things so dont you dare leave! Also all of those customers were total dicks, it was nothing you did.

Edit: we comped a lot of orders yesterday due to drive thru wait times sometimes being up to 8 minutes. But two people paid for the peoples order behind them so that was nice, not everyone was an rear end in a top hat.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The sales sign that corporate mails out all say things like Regular Price: 15.99. You Pay 10.00! or whatever. Of course, all the signs also have print on them talking about taxes where applicable but whatever.

I had a customer throw a hissy fit because when he brought up his item it wasn't actually 10.00, it was 10.00 + tax and that it was rude and deceptive.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Was he a recent immigrant or something? How can anyone above age 5 exist in America (or whatever) without knowing sales tax

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cephalopods posted:

Was he a recent immigrant or something? How can anyone above age 5 exist in America (or whatever) without knowing sales tax

could be from montana

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

cephalopods posted:

He had a little bit of an accent (not sure from where though) but his English was impeccable so I assume he's been here a not insignificant amount of time.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Garrand posted:

I had a customer throw a hissy fit because when he brought up his item it wasn't actually 10.00, it was 10.00 + tax and that it was rude and deceptive.

People are weird. About a year after the government stopped minting pennies, I had a guy straight up screaming about how the total was $XX.98 or something and that he wants those two cents and how we're stealing from him or some poo poo. We didn't even have any pennies in the store to give him because we can't buy pennies and no one pays with pennies. Some people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inco posted:

People are weird. About a year after the government stopped minting pennies, I had a guy straight up screaming about how the total was $XX.98 or something and that he wants those two cents and how we're stealing from him or some poo poo. We didn't even have any pennies in the store to give him because we can't buy pennies and no one pays with pennies. Some people.

I saw an old man scream that he wanted a cashier fired because was shorted a penny. I was strongly tempted to just give him a quarter and tell him to leave it be but that probably would have made things worse.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I saw an old man scream that he wanted a cashier fired because was shorted a penny. I was strongly tempted to just give him a quarter and tell him to leave it be but that probably would have made things worse.

"It's the principle of the matter!"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Volmarias posted:

That feeling when you're making more money resolving a dispute than whatever petty pocket change someone's wasting their time over. I made two dollars while you pointlessly fought me over a loving fifteen cent coupon, great job.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

cephalopods posted:

They know perfectly well what sales tax is, it's just they had lousy parents who trained them from an early age to believe that throwing hissy fits is the way to get what you want, no matter how minor.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Tunicate posted:

could be from montana

sometimes I remember sales tax is a thing that exists for most of the country and then I am so glad that yes I do in fact live in Montana

(I mean, it comes out of my paycheck instead, but that's besides the point)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

they had lousy parents who trained them from an early age to believe that throwing hissy fits is the way to get what you want, no matter how minor.

So, customers

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The company I work for has a (very very small) sister company that does retail. We just had a guy quit because his list of demands weren't met, which included wanting like $20/hr, wanting a ridiculous commission on top of that, and getting to set his schedule to whatever he wanted week by week. :psyduck: In what universe do you get any of those as an entry-level retail drone?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A cool one?

I mean, I think commission is dumb, but fair wages on a schedule that works for you would be pretty nice, if not entirely realistic in the current scheme of things.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 30, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Helter Skelter posted:

I think commission is dumb

When it's a sole method of earning, yes, but otherwise why is it dumb? I make 1% commission on retail sales and .7% on service installations, plus a bonus between $2.50 and $10.00 for every job that comes back paid in full same day.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Many moons ago I had a non-commission salesdrone job at a department store and walked out when I was ordered to fill in for a call-off in a commission sales department without commission. gently caress that poo poo.

As for the $20 an hour dude, sounds like he'd made his mind up to quit anyway and just decided what the hell.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Eric the Mauve posted:

As for the $20 an hour dude, sounds like he'd made his mind up to quit anyway and just decided what the hell.
It's actually kind of funny because we were gonna fire his dumb rear end in a couple of weeks once we got some better holiday coverage, but I guess not getting unemployment is cool & good in his brain? It's not like he didn't know, either; nobody liked him and he was constantly loving up by way of being lazy and just not doing the things we told him to do.

Helter Skelter posted:

A cool one?

I mean, I think commission is dumb, but fair wages on a schedule that works for you would be pretty nice, if not entirely realistic in the current scheme of things.
They do get commission (it's a lovely amount but it's there) but he wanted it to be based on his hours worked instead of a flat rate per thing sold, which is... not how it works. You also don't generally get to tell your boss "here's what I'm working next week, everyone else can work around me" without getting laughed out of the store.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I wanted my job to fire me so i could get unemployment but i also couldn't bring myself to be enough of a dumbass and/or rear end in a top hat to be bad enough to actually be fired so I ended up having to quit after i reached some arbitrary cutoff I set for myself. I got "warned" several times about my low sales averages and that they were gonna fire me if I didn't fix it, but nothing ever came of it, and they fired my friend with 2 kids to support and my other friend who needed to save up to get a surgery instead

dumb bad job

edit: We were talking about commission though. We didnt get paid commission, but it was funny to deal with customers who thought we did and got weirdly condescending about it. "Ugh sorry :rolleyes: I just don't want to buy Whatever Product, I know you get commission but I just don't want to spend that kind of money" "Uh actually buy whatever you want it doesn't affect me" *person stares blankly with no understanding*

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 31, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

D34THROW posted:

When it's a sole method of earning, yes, but otherwise why is it dumb? I make 1% commission on retail sales and .7% on service installations, plus a bonus between $2.50 and $10.00 for every job that comes back paid in full same day.
Because it often doesn't lead people to do a better job and instead can encourage unhealthy competition (or even straight-up backstabbing) among employees in the name of personal financial gain. This is of course a generalization, it doesn't always work out that way, but when the employees are barely making enough to get by to begin with it can certainly encourage some real dumb poo poo.

Doesn't stop this being kind of hilarious:

Yawgmoth posted:

They do get commission (it's a lovely amount but it's there) but he wanted it to be based on his hours worked instead of a flat rate per thing sold, which is... not how it works. You also don't generally get to tell your boss "here's what I'm working next week, everyone else can work around me" without getting laughed out of the store.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I had a guy try to buy a Nintendo Switch a few days ago and completely forgot he’d have to pay tax on it. It was kind of amusing really.

Me: Okay your total is three hundred and whatever dollars

Him: why is it so much?

Me: Well it’s $299.99 plus tax which is whatever dollars

Him: oh I forgot about tax I can’t afford this

I just don’t even know what wavelength he was on. Seemed like a normal functioning adult otherwise.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Helter Skelter posted:

A cool one?

Someone who I did not hire came back from leave recently and has handed me a schedule with her availability (basically making her own schedule with an option of opening or closing on 1-2 days) while simultaneously telling me and all of her colleagues "I did not go for college for this" virtually every shift.

Please do not be that employee.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

What kind of job is it? I'm guessing not the kind that requires tertiary education?

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Zenithe posted:

What kind of job is it? I'm guessing not the kind that requires tertiary education?

Shift manager at a pharmacy. She is making around ~$15, which while not great, for retail is pretty good.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Daniel Bryan posted:

I had a guy try to buy a Nintendo Switch a few days ago and completely forgot he’d have to pay tax on it. It was kind of amusing really.

I just don’t even know what wavelength he was on. Seemed like a normal functioning adult otherwise.

A friend of mine moved here from Oregon a few years ago and to this day its like a 50/50 if he remembers the sales tax.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Daniel Bryan posted:

Both times I've moved back from Europe I've forgotten about sales tax for the first little while, it happens. That and I forgot that you tip at a bar when you order a beer, which wasn't the best idea on the south side of Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Daniel Bryan posted:

The only unbelievable part of this is the guy apparently calmly accepting that sales tax exists