Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I can do without him. The short bit he did at the end of last episode annoyed me already more than I'd like to be. I don't need him sticking around multiple episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Accretionist posted:

But he's perfect as Janet's deranged proto-human.

He definitely isn't human since he seems to have some Janet-ish powers. I quite enjoyed the clunky sounding activation sound he made when returning to the void.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Azhais posted:

At making me stop watching shows maybe

He was definitely the main reason I stopped listening to "How Did This Get Made?" since he was annoying as gently caress.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Jet Jaguar posted:

He was definitely the main reason I stopped listening to "How Did This Get Made?" since he was annoying as gently caress.

Have you heard the Good News about We Hate Movies, friend?

Also, I'd like to affirm my desire for Boys in the Pudd to be a real place.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Mantzoukas definitely is one-note w his energy and stuff, but it’s really dependent on the writing if he’s good or poorly used. But... his episode of “You Made It Weird” was eye-opening. He’s deadly allergic to eggs, and he basically has to be hyper aware of anything he eats, and be ready to get to a hospital at a moment’s notice. He has a story about going to a holiday party, and is basically starving because there’s nothing he can eat, until he spots some grapes w powdered sugar. He eats one or two, and his throat closes up and he has to GTFO. The grapes were rolled in egg whites.

So, that kind of thing informs his view and approach on life. I do wish he could get a role where he’s the straight man, so we could see if he’s any good.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2he4NFpg2/?hl=en&taken-by=kristenanniebell

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's thirty good place points, easy.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Boywhiz88 posted:

Mantzoukas definitely is one-note w his energy and stuff, but it’s really dependent on the writing if he’s good or poorly used. But... his episode of “You Made It Weird” was eye-opening. He’s deadly allergic to eggs, and he basically has to be hyper aware of anything he eats, and be ready to get to a hospital at a moment’s notice. He has a story about going to a holiday party, and is basically starving because there’s nothing he can eat, until he spots some grapes w powdered sugar. He eats one or two, and his throat closes up and he has to GTFO. The grapes were rolled in egg whites.

So, that kind of thing informs his view and approach on life. I do wish he could get a role where he’s the straight man, so we could see if he’s any good.

My favorite part was when he talked about telling his therapist of however many years, "Hey, just wondering, I have this tremendous allergy that's required me to be constantly hypervigilant and cognizant of the possibility of my own death ever since I was a kid, do you think that's relevant to our sessions?" And the therapist's response is the professionally-appropriate equivalent of "You motherfucker."

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I didn't mean to imply that I dislike Mantzoukas, I often love his characters. Love to hate them. He is fantastic at what he does, and what he does is be the worst.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wonder when Michael will realize he accidentally created God.

You have to admit the grin in your avatar looks like it was made for this post

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

That's thirty good place points, easy.

40 if she sends it to Idina.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Jason Mantzoukas is great, he's like the middle reliever that you get at trade deadline for basically nothing that you're really not sure about, but ends up coming up big in a couple of games and then he's gone in 2 months.

As a burgeoning god's crude first attempt at a human, he should be perfect.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so the end of the series will be when the cast meets the Janet that created the architects, demons, and all the rest of creation, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

double nine posted:

so the end of the series will be when the cast meets the Janet that created the architects, demons, and all the rest of creation, right?

This will turn out to be retirement for the demons and the good place in the bad place idea for torturing humans is actually there for torturing the demons

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I haven't seen Disney movies in years, could someone explain the joke please? :smith:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Kristen Bell played Anna in Frozen, but her daughter insisted they both dress up as Elsa, the other lead character, when it, of course, would have been perfect for the two of them to dress as both Anna and Elsa.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rappaport posted:

I haven't seen Disney movies in years, could someone explain the joke please? :smith:

Frozen was about two sisters, Elsa and Anna. Bell voiced Anna in Frozen, her daughter wanted her to dress up as Elsa.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Rappaport posted:

Frozen is a Disney movie with two princess protagonists, Elsa (Idina Menzel) and Anna (Kristen Bell).
Kristen’s daughter loves Elsa so much more that she insisted that despite being two people, they should BOTH dress as Elsa.

e;fb

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Your Taint posted:

I honestly had no idea who this guy even was until last week.
He's probably the most grating presence in a show I've ever seen. Extremely overbearing and annoying on The League and Brooklyn 99 in the exact same way every time

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This seasons really moved away from giving Kristen Bell anything interesting to do.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

This seasons really moved away from giving Kristen Bell anything interesting to do.

To be fair, right now her character is catching up on the character development we already saw and focused on most of last season. And getting tortured like we've already seen a bunch. Season still owns so far.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's also because the show is totally different now. Season 1 was all about Eleanor trying to hide the secret that she didn't belong in the Good Place, so Bell is the focus. Now that we know the "Good Place" is not in fact good means that it's more of an ensemble show where everyone is trying to get out of the Bad Place.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its perfect that eleanor inhabits a kind of "dirtbag mystic" role right now where even michael needs her advice on how a scummy person would act

Loving this season tbh

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Both her and Jason have done that, though Jason's role is a lot more... well. you know.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You know, I was wondering something: do you think Chidi's lessons with Michael have actually helped him begin the creation of an ethical framework, or is it that Michael needed to learn his own ethical framework tailored to him? It seems like he didn't care until a personal ethical issue (killing Janet) sprung up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Noonsaliwah posted:

Frozen is a Disney movie with two princess protagonists, Elsa (Idina Menzel) and Anna (Kristen Bell).
Kristen’s daughter loves Elsa so much more that she insisted that despite being two people, they should BOTH dress as Elsa.

e;fb

Elsa is a queen. :colbert: Bell's whole first song is about the run up to her coronation.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can't imagine that emotional attachments and unwillingness to harm others due to fondness, like Michael feels toward Janet, comes naturally to Bad Place people like Michael.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
In life, evil corrupts good.

In death, good corrupts evil???

Edit: Janet Uber Alles

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MisterBibs posted:

You know, I was wondering something: do you think Chidi's lessons with Michael have actually helped him begin the creation of an ethical framework, or is it that Michael needed to learn his own ethical framework tailored to him? It seems like he didn't care until a personal ethical issue (killing Janet) sprung up.

I think Chidi has definitely had an impact. Michael says he saves Janet because of friendship, a concept that shouldn't exist in a demon. He wouldn't have developed that on his own, and its clear that Chidi has at least taught Michael about things like empathy and consequences of actions. Michael may still look down on humans, but a Janet, which Michael probably sees as above human, but not his level, at least has enough respect in Michael's view that she is worth saving.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

I can't imagine that emotional attachments and unwillingness to harm others due to fondness, like Michael feels toward Janet, comes naturally to Bad Place people like Michael.

I'm not very convinced of that, at least whole-hog. I get the impression that willingness to harm others in Bad Place culture is directed towards humans, but in terms of each other they have at least some sense of camaraderie. It wasn't until poo poo started going pear-shaped that demons began to question Michael's plans.

I guess, like I alluded to earlier with my reference to Afterlife, I see the demons as basically employees of a greater structure. Torturing humans for eternity is their job; when they aren't doing that they are on smoke breaks and bullshit about their job being assholes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My job is pretty okay, but I'm definitely not as psyched about any of it as they are about torture

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I think Michael is an unreliable narrator.

He says that The Good Place was his idea for a new form of torture, but I really don't think he actually wants humans to suffer. He says he does, he has to, he's a demon (or whatever) right. But he seems to crave camaraderie with the humans. Sure he will try to trick them now and then like with the trolley problem, but after that's uncovered he wants to laugh about it with them, like a friend playing a prank.

Michael enjoys teasing and taunting and testing, but I don't see him as the type that would be gleefully ripping out someones fingernails.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

"A pudding restaurant, what even is that?"

Ted Danson really is nailing every line he's given. He's the funniest part of this show. Him and janet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

I think Michael is an unreliable narrator.

He says that The Good Place was his idea for a new form of torture, but I really don't think he actually wants humans to suffer. He says he does, he has to, he's a demon (or whatever) right. But he seems to crave camaraderie with the humans. Sure he will try to trick them now and then like with the trolley problem, but after that's uncovered he wants to laugh about it with them, like a friend playing a prank.

Michael enjoys teasing and taunting and testing, but I don't see him as the type that would be gleefully ripping out someones fingernails.

I feel like you're onto something here, but I do think originally he was actually trying to make his experiment work due to an evil motive of efficiency. The whole point was to get the 4 of them to torture each other, then ideally all the Bad Place people can work less, rather than be torturing 24/7. Clearly they do enjoy taking some breaks, even if they do enjoy the torture as well.

I think much like the cliche "It started as a bet to take the ugly girl to prom, but then she took off her glasses and ponytail and became hot and now I actually do like her even though it was a bet at first" teen romance plot, Michael is undergoing a similar journey in a different way.

John F Bennett posted:

"A pudding restaurant, what even is that?"

Ted Danson really is nailing every line he's given. He's the funniest part of this show. Him and janet.

Their whole exchange with "What's a food that's good enough, but you'd get sick of?" "Frozen yogurt!" was delightful. Ted Danson is so expressive as an actor, his face is just fun to watch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

one thing that struck me about michael in the last season's reveal was that he was by far the oldest employee there, and yet he was implied to have a very low position. So it wouldn't surprise me if his fascination with humans made him pull his punches, which in turn kept him from being promoted.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

double nine posted:

one thing that struck me about michael in the last season's reveal was that he was by far the oldest employee there, and yet he was implied to have a very low position. So it wouldn't surprise me if his fascination with humans made him pull his punches, which in turn kept him from being promoted.

Didn’t they say that their forms are chosen randomly? Which is why the kid was seemingly above him in the first behind the bad place scene?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Didn’t they say that their forms are chosen randomly? Which is why the kid was seemingly above him in the first behind the bad place scene?

If they said that (certainly possible) then I missed it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

double nine posted:

If they said that (certainly possible) then I missed it.

I can't find it now. Maybe it was an interview that was linked here, the character is 'Dave' but that didn't help any.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's the episode where they confront him, Team Cockroach, it's right before the testicle joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
They mention it as some point in season 1 too. That's why his superior looking younger than him wasn't a surprise.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 31, 2017

• Locked thread