Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terror Sweat posted:

asking someone if he has any regrets isnt harsh, what the gently caress

Yeah, I'd guess Eren just wants to connect with his grandfather. I think that's pretty understandable considering he didn't think he even had any living relatives all that long ago.

It looks like Colt and Falco might also be related to Eren, given their families connection to the rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, I'd guess Eren just wants to connect with his grandfather. I think that's pretty understandable considering he didn't think he even had any living relatives all that long ago.

It looks like Colt and Falco might also be related to Eren, given their families connection to the rebels.

Grisha didn't have any relation to Grice though, the guy just came into his practice and recruited him.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Delayed to July 2018.

Still, less than a year away! I want me some of that animated Ackerman action.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hell yea I've been waiting to see some of the poo poo levi pulls animated

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Manatee Cannon posted:

hell yea I've been waiting to see some of the poo poo levi pulls animated

T-minus less than one year before we get to the best scene in the manga: Levi utterly demolishing the Beast Titan.

I mean, considering how well they animated Levi destroying the Female Titan, I have high hopes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Conspiratiorist posted:

Delayed to July 2018.

Still, less than a year away! I want me some of that animated Ackerman action.

Boy this has been a real rollercoaster of a day

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Paradise folks need to use that anti-personnel 3D-gear at some point against Marley/whoever. Those seemed cool (though admittedly probably not as good as automatic weapons in practice).

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Ytlaya posted:

The Paradise folks need to use that anti-personnel 3D-gear at some point against Marley/whoever. Those seemed cool (though admittedly probably not as good as automatic weapons in practice).

With 3 years of focused technological development I'm kinda expecting the Paradisians to have created a 20th century version of Mobile Infantry. Thunder spears are basically proto-RPGs, and I imagine you could refine the 3DMG to support both firearms and swords with a bit of effort. Give them glider wings to deploy them from aircraft, and you've got a fighting force that's going to be insanely mobile and effective against titans, infantry and (potentially) armor. Remember that Paradise now has access to Marley tech from the warships, so they could in theory reverse engineer and use all of that however they want too.

Heck, re-purpose the modern artillery the Marley have into titan sized rifles and go full Meat-suit Gundam.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 31, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reminder, horse titan has armor complete with cannons on it. We've already set the scene for meat gundams.

I want eren to just wield a big fuckoff tree he tore out of the ground. Full fancy armor, shield maybe, and then just a big ol' club made of an entire tree.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

raws are out

Oh man his face was perfect.

"There are lots of people gathered. Right above us."
:stonk:
"Reiner. Sit."
:stare:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I AM SO loving HYPED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

ive said this for every chapter in a long while and yet,

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Imagining Eren speaking in a dull whisper with that pencil thin moustache really makes him seem like a menacing psychopath holding a bomb. What a delivery. :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's an early translation https://imgur.com/a/stxeW

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Jaegers, man.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

glad to see my man erens character development from a psychopath to a high functioning psychopath

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh my god I can't loving wait.

I wonder if the soldier is Connie in disguise

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Eren is great now. :allears:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
To think, Eren could have such a powerful presence, barely saying a word all chapter.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kyte posted:

Oh my god I can't loving wait.

I wonder if the soldier is Connie in disguise

It's Jean.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Sindai posted:

Eren is great now. :allears:

I like New Eren a lot

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Eren hasn't killed a titan in five years and he is pissed.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
In a way, Warhammer and Zeke spilling the beans on the "truth" right before whatever happens happens is just gonna make it easier for the Islanders to make this work for them, in terms of information warfare. Sort of a "WHAT ELSE HAVE THEY BEEN LYING ABOUT?" deal where they can point out, rightfully, that Marley has been trying to retrieve the Titan powers to use in war instead of "bring an end to the dastardly scourage of robble robble robble"

This is assuming they have a plan beyond killing everybody. Between Armin, Hange, and Levi I'd like to think they'd know better than to just wage a war for fun and revenge.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 7, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

In a way, Warhammer and Zeke spilling the beans on the "truth" right before whatever happens happens is just gonna make it easier for the Islanders to make this work for them, in terms of information warfare. Sort of a "WHAT ELSE HAVE THEY BEEN LYING ABOUT?" deal where they can point out, rightfully, that Marley has been trying to retrieve the Titan powers to use in war instead of "bring an end to the dastardly scourage of robble robble robble"

I'm assuming that whatever Grim Reminder is about to happen, regardless of whether it is triggered by Eren and Co or a false flag operation by Vili and Co, is going to turn the world's fury squarely on Paradis.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
God drat

"What are you here for?"
"Same as you."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Tyber is half telling the truth, in that I do think there was a pact between King Fritz and Tyber to ensure the peace. It's just that Tyber was the one who broke the pact, destabilizing the Fritz regime and setting off the coup. Tyber's big speech was a risky ploy, in that it is easy for the Walldians to counter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drat what a chapter.

I find dizzying how this series has progressed from a start that was pretty cool but 'basic' (fight against human-eating monsters called titans) to what we have now. It's a astounding amount of change.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Reminds me of Vinland Saga in that regard.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Went from post apocalyptic action to flesh mecha to political thriller. It's been quite a ride -- hopefully we get back to some good ol' meat mech action in chapter 100

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I have absolutely no idea where this is going, and I am 110% invested in seeing it play out. Will next month bring World War Titan?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My boy Eren is so hosed up, I love him. But you know who I really want to see, now that our old protagonist is a bone-chilling monster? Armin. :allears:

I also like that we're being reminded of Chekov's Annie. Good to know Isayama does have a plan for her and didn't just forget.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

My boy Eren is so hosed up, I love him. But you know who I really want to see, now that our old protagonist is a bone-chilling monster?

I really don't think Eren's done nearly enough to warrant being called a monster yet, especially when he's in the same room as Reiner "committed one genocide and attempted another" Braun. Like, I get that we've been getting a pretty sympathetic perspective on the guy for the last few chapters, but it doesn't change the fact that he's guilty of the single most heinous crime in the entire manga, and that's an achievement. Like, Eren could transform right at this moment and kill all those unsuspecting people in the building above him and it would still be absolutely miniscule compared to what breaking the wall meant for the people within them.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 7, 2017

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

clearly he is talking about reiner, who is old, as in age, and also the protagonist

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The chapter highlight has to be Falco slowly figuring poo poo out.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I don't see the "older Eren is a monster" reading supported so far. If anything older Eren seems far less violent than he was before. The cut hand and reminder about the civilians is Eren ensuring that Reiner doesn't do anything to disrupt the play or whatever plan the Paradisians in store.

The question is what exactly that plan is, we're being led to believe that there's at least two plots active at the play, and who the gently caress knows what Zeke is up to/knows.

I could actually see him and Eren being on the same page with regards to the Eldian Question, since Zeke rejected the Eldian restorationist plan, but does seem to have his own ideology that doesn't seem aligned with the Marley position either.

I also think that Eren reaching out to Reiner makes a ton of sense. One of the big themes of the new arc seems to be how generational conflicts persist, and how well meaning people can be turned into monsters by their societies and ideologies. To me, both Reiner and Eren are prisoners of this conflict and at this point both of them want it to end without more bloodshed. Reiner's committed terrible acts without question, but I think him being offered a chance to end the conflict is far more satisfying than him getting killed for destroying the walls. RBA were children manipulated into committing a genocide, Himmler and Speer they are not - and even before the time skip, the full weight of what he'd done seems to have started settling on Reiner, remember this?

Pretty sure that's Reiner starting down a different path from the path the Reiner we saw in the flashbacks was on.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 7, 2017

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

I also think that Eren reaching out to Reiner makes a ton of sense. One of the big themes of the new arc seems to be how generational conflicts persist, and how well meaning people can be turned into monsters by their societies and ideologies. To me, both Reiner and Eren are prisoners of this conflict and at this point both of them want it to end without more bloodshed. Reiner's committed terrible acts without question, but I think him being offered a chance to end the conflict is far more satisfying than him getting killed for destroying the walls. RBA were children manipulated into committing a genocide, Himmler and Speer they are not - and even before the time skip, the full weight of what he'd done seems to have started settling on Reiner, remember this?

Pretty sure that's Reiner starting down a different path from the path the Reiner we saw in the flashbacks was on.

I'm not sure I wholy buy the "manipulated children" angle. Wall Maria maybe, but by the time they decided to breach wall Rosa they've lived among the Walldians for five years, had ample time to see that the propaganda they've been fed was bullshit and had perfect understanding of the consequences of breaking the second wall would have.

For what it's worth I also hope he aids Eren but I think that the most satisfying outcome would be him dying ingloriously midway through (none of the heroic sacrifice or achieving victor with his dying breath bullshit) or surviving only to live out his short remaining days alone, shunned b everone and miserable. True, he could be worse, but IMO he's still far enough into the complete monster town that an kind of redemption is completely outside of his reach.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 7, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I dunno, I think it's entirely possible for someone to do some serious rationalization to prevent themselves from having to deal with the full weight of the terrible crime they committed as brainwashed children. Also, hasn't it been implied that Reiner (and the others) failing in their task would result in their family being ostracized, if not punished even more harshly? I just can't get myself into a mindset that wishes for this guy to suffer more.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Aumanor posted:

I'm not sure I wholy buy the "manipulated children" angle. Wall Maria maybe, but by the time they decided to breach wall Rosa they've lived among the Walldians for five years, had ample time to see that the propaganda they've been fed was bullshit and had perfect understanding of the consequences of breaking the second wall would have.

You could argue that, but I think you can also make the case that RBA were not free actors even by the time they attack Wall Rose. Marley had their parents - and the entire interned Eldian population in Marley as leverage against the kids beyond the propaganda they used to justify the invasion of Paradise. Additionally by the time of the attack on Wall Rose, they might've had more mixed feelings about their mission, but they also thought that their comrades in the legions would happily murder them right away if they revealed themselves - even if they were trying to defect (remember Bert and Reiner's scenes with Eren about Eren's motivations?) As you said they've committed some of the most monstrous acts depicted in the series, who wouldn't want to just kill them for it? This line of reasoning is further validated for them after the attack when they meet Hange "Titan Mengele" and her experiments, sorry kids it's not death you'd face if you revealed your identity, but excruciating scientific torture for the rest of your life!

I think the manga is trying to show you that RBA didn't feel free to choose their own actions, even when they were alone in Paradise - why else spend so much time on their side of the story if they're irredeemable monsters who only deserve death? They're trapped in the same cycle that trapped Grisha, Zeke and Eren. RBA did terrible things, but it doesn't change the fact that they were victims too, they're all brainwashed child soldiers with PTSD who were forced to sacrifice their futures (tenure) and were ordered by their elders to commit terrible deeds justified by propagandist fiction in the service of an apartheid empire. Reiner's getting the main focus for this, and it's harder to say what was up with Bert, but Annie certainly seemed like she felt trapped in her mission as well (see the whole "just going along with the flow" discussion with Mr. Bowlcut when she's in the MP, and her reaction when she's finally freed from her dilemma by Armin unmasking her as examples of what I'm talking about.)

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fuuuuuuuck poo poo is about to get real