Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Don Gato posted:

RNG based on data on the CD iirc, something based on the metadata, but there were some unique monsters you could generate from certain CDs/DVDs. Off the top of my head, you got a unique owl thing in MR 4 if you put in a harry potter DVD.

Pretty sure this is right - and it’s cool to know they adapted it to work with dvds too. (Makes sense, I just didn’t stick with the series long enough to find out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

Wait, so there's a game that generates different monsters based, somehow, on what audio CDs you put into the console? How does that work?

I always found it pretty weird that the Beetlejuice cartoon existed. And Betelgeuse was a friendly prankster in it. And the Maitlands just weren't in it at all. It's basically got nothing to do with the movie.

Unrelatedly, it always annoys me that the movie is called Beetlejuice instead of Betelgeuse. There's even a joke in the film about his name being spelled that way.

There's five CD based one a couple word based and one drawing based. How have you managed to miss out on Monster Rancher?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

There's five CD based one a couple word based and one drawing based. How have you managed to miss out on Monster Rancher?

I haven't owned a game console since the Atari 2600.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
drat, dude.

But basically, the CD/DVD Monster Ranchers read part of the data on each disc you inserted, then generated a monster that the devs coded for that set of data. Every copy of the game would generate the same monster for the same disc, and some unique monsters were only available from inserting specific music discs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Tiggum posted:

I always found it pretty weird that the Beetlejuice cartoon existed. And Betelgeuse was a friendly prankster in it. And the Maitlands just weren't in it at all. It's basically got nothing to do with the movie.

Dark Theory Time: The cartoon is set in a reality where Beetlejuice won and messed with Lydia's mind to make her think she was living a perfect life in his world and in hers to keep her in his thrall.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

one drawing based.

Holy poo poo, Takato in Digimon Tamers was just playing by the wrong franchises rules...

(his digivice made Guilmon by scanning a notebook that Takato was making Digimon fanart in. :3: I always liked that Guilmon was not a "natural" digimon, it added a reason that their bond was different to the others - he was literally part of Takato from the beginning.)

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Tiggum posted:

Unrelatedly, it always annoys me that the movie is called Beetlejuice instead of Betelgeuse. There's even a joke in the film about his name being spelled that way.

To keep people from saying, "Two tickets to 'Betel-gise' please."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Different sort of "not aging well" is when you have a TV show that's on a very long time and you go back to very early episodes and you notice how characters you think of as main or major supporting ones are barely in it or very different. For example, I recently rewatched some episodes from the first three seasons of South Park and characters like Officer Barbrady, Dr Mephesto and Kevin, Stan's gun-nut uncle are relatively important, Butters is barely if at all in it, Randy is a background character etc.

Also, it's sort of weird 20-ish years later that "Oh my God, they killed Kenny!"/"You bastards!" was in practically every episode. Like all of Bart's old catchphrases from early Simpsons. I haven't kept up with The Simpsons for a while but I can't imagine he tells anyone to eat his shorts or not have a cow (man) with any regularity nowadays.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
poo poo, there was a season 7 Simpsons episode with a joke about Bart never saying "don't have a cow, man" anymore

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ElwoodCuse posted:

poo poo, there was a season 7 Simpsons episode with a joke about Bart never saying "don't have a cow, man" anymore

"Don't jump a shark, man".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Archer season 1 had some characters lile Ray and Krieger only have a few one off lines and developing into full characters by season 2.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

ElwoodCuse posted:

"Cowabunga." season 11.

edit: to add another example

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Oct 30, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Took em a while to put Krieger into the opening credits.

South Park is a funny example in that they clearly got bored or ran out of ideas with a lot of characters and either introduced new ones or started developing underused ones in their stead. Kenny was basically a prop most of the time until recent seasons where he got his own spotlight episodes.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

RagnarokAngel posted:

Archer season 1 had some characters lile Ray and Krieger only have a few one off lines and developing into full characters by season 2.

I just rewatched the first episode of Archer and when Archer first arrived at HQ there is a secretary that just disappeared never to be seen or heard from again.

I know it's common for that type of thing to happen especially with early episodes but it was was real "wait who the gently caress is that?" moment on the rewatch.

Also speaking of Archer the whole ISIS thing lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dragonstoned posted:

archer should have had a plot about ISIS stealing their name, they were too timid about addressing it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Me and my partner binged on Archer and were pretty amazed it skirted over that, especially given the other stuff it poked fun of. Maybe they just didn't want to tie it to a specific date? A lot of stuff is a mish-mash of time periods, with a couple of jokes even poking fun at characters not being able to name the year.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Archer's design is accidentally awesome, I love the 1950s - 1970s terminals, cold wars, muscle cars and space stations existing alongside smartphones and pop culture. It basically follows no rules apart from 'is it cool/appropriate for the show' and that's it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Different sort of "not aging well" is when you have a TV show that's on a very long time and you go back to very early episodes and you notice how characters you think of as main or major supporting ones are barely in it or very different.

"Happy Days" is a great example of this. Fonzie was a rarely seen supporting character the first couple of seasons and became more prominent as his popularity increased. I guess they got rid of Richie's older brother, Chuck, to give Winkler more screen time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

poptart_fairy posted:

Me and my partner binged on Archer and were pretty amazed it skirted over that, especially given the other stuff it poked fun of. Maybe they just didn't want to tie it to a specific date? A lot of stuff is a mish-mash of time periods, with a couple of jokes even poking fun at characters not being able to name the year.

As far as I'm aware, it was a combination of not really wanting to address it so as not to date the show, and real-life ISIS' rise to prominence coinciding with the in-fiction ISIS dissolving, so it wasn't really an issue at that point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think they should have just gone with it and had the characters constantly insisting that no, the other one is ISIL.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Different sort of "not aging well" is when you have a TV show that's on a very long time and you go back to very early episodes and you notice how characters you think of as main or major supporting ones are barely in it or very different. For example, I recently rewatched some episodes from the first three seasons of South Park and characters like Officer Barbrady, Dr Mephesto and Kevin, Stan's gun-nut uncle are relatively important, Butters is barely if at all in it, Randy is a background character etc.

Also, it's sort of weird 20-ish years later that "Oh my God, they killed Kenny!"/"You bastards!" was in practically every episode. Like all of Bart's old catchphrases from early Simpsons. I haven't kept up with The Simpsons for a while but I can't imagine he tells anyone to eat his shorts or not have a cow (man) with any regularity nowadays.

South Park kind of did a reverse-Simpsons really. One started out being a show with a small cast of characters that expanded into being about the whole town and all its wacky one-note side characters, while the other started off with a town populated with wacky one-note side characters that eventually kind of outlived their necessity.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The last twenty years of The Simpsons have been nothing but meta-jokes about how things that happened in older episodes don't happen anymore I'm pretty sure

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think someone was saying a while ago that what they saw in a change in South Park was how the kids stopped behaving and thinking like kids for the most part. You could have episodes where they'd have their crazy stuff going on in the world that made no sense, but a lot of their ways of dealing with it and their reactions to it were things that seemed almost child-like because they just didn't have the intelligence or influence to actually do anything else.

I'm not really sure how certain older episodes would be different if they were made today, or if current episodes had been made 15-20 years ago, though, when it came to the characters' ways of handling it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dragonstoned posted:

I just rewatched the first episode of Archer and when Archer first arrived at HQ there is a secretary that just disappeared never to be seen or heard from again.

I know it's common for that type of thing to happen especially with early episodes but it was was real "wait who the gently caress is that?" moment on the rewatch.

I was rewatching season one Simpsons episodes and there are a bunch of characters like this. Mostly friends of Homer and Bart that disappeared from Springfield altogether. I'm fairly sure none show up as background characters or have a meta-joke reference in later seasons, either.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think someone was saying a while ago that what they saw in a change in South Park was how the kids stopped behaving and thinking like kids for the most part. You could have episodes where they'd have their crazy stuff going on in the world that made no sense, but a lot of their ways of dealing with it and their reactions to it were things that seemed almost child-like because they just didn't have the intelligence or influence to actually do anything else.

I'm not really sure how certain older episodes would be different if they were made today, or if current episodes had been made 15-20 years ago, though, when it came to the characters' ways of handling it.

The same thing basically happened with The Simpsons as well. Bart and especially Lisa stopped being kids and started being teens, or even functional adults, depending on what the plot required that they be. Episodes from before wouldn't work with them as they are now because they would no longer react in a remotely similar fashion.

BJPaskoff posted:

I was rewatching season one Simpsons episodes and there are a bunch of characters like this. Mostly friends of Homer and Bart that disappeared from Springfield altogether. I'm fairly sure none show up as background characters or have a meta-joke reference in later seasons, either.

See, this is why I really like Homer's Enemy, because it introduces a tertiary character into a series that is slowly forgetting its tertiary characters, and then kills him before the end of the episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig posted:

See, this is why I really like Homer's Enemy, because it introduces a tertiary character into a series that is slowly forgetting its tertiary characters, and then kills him before the end of the episode.

That's sometimes Chalmers's role, though only in the context of reacting to Skinner's antics.

"Why is it that when I heard the word 'school' and the word 'exploded' I immediately thought of the word 'SKINNER'?"

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

BiggerBoat posted:

"Happy Days" is a great example of this. Fonzie was a rarely seen supporting character the first couple of seasons and became more prominent as his popularity increased. I guess they got rid of Richie's older brother, Chuck, to give Winkler more screen time.

In the first season, the Fonz couldn't even wear his leather jacket unless he was on or near his motorcycle.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dragonstoned posted:

Apparently the plan was to have a different secretary every week who'd get run off by Archer, but Judy Greer knocked it out of the park as Cheryl that they decided just to keep her on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing with The Simpsons is while it's definitely dropped in quality it's hard to categorically diagnose what happened. Like if you go to early episodes you can still find examples of Jerkass Homer or Flanders being too broad or anything else that's supposedly a marker of Where Things Went Wrong. Like there are differences between old and new but nothing that's definitive.

Of course the real issue is it's been 25 some years and there haven't been any significant shifts in key creative personnel for years so nobody has any new ideas and so on.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing with The Simpsons is while it's definitely dropped in quality it's hard to categorically diagnose what happened. Like if you go to early episodes you can still find examples of Jerkass Homer or Flanders being too broad or anything else that's supposedly a marker of Where Things Went Wrong. Like there are differences between old and new but nothing that's definitive.

Of course the real issue is it's been 25 some years and there haven't been any significant shifts in key creative personnel for years so nobody has any new ideas and so on.

Yeah. Somewhere between seasons 11 & 15 you will find actual, truly bad episodes. But since then, it's been harder to quantify. They got things back up to a point of "decent, but something's missing" just in time for the movie to come out and be quite good, and then they rode that wave into whateverdom.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
To be fair to the Simpsons, producing 25 years of good to great animated TV is something to really be celebrated. I always wondered what happened to Marge's Mom. Abe gets continual play but never Jacqueline. She's like Chuck from Happy Days or tiger from the Brady Bunch.

She just went poof.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This season premier was about her.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I seriously could have sworn Marge's mom died back in the 90's :psyduck: like not even late 90s

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You're probably thinking of great aunt Gladys.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

open24hours posted:

He was a good man, he was a kind man, he gave to his community and asked little in return.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They never really did much with Marge's mom. And her father never really showed up except in flashbacks, though I think it's implied he died before the series began.

Interestingly, it seems Patty and Selma actually get along better with Homer in recent seasons than at the start. (and flashbacks have them bulling Marge in a similar fashion that they pick on Homer, they're just generally jerks looking for an easy target)

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

open24hours posted:

But her legend will live forever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Super Eyepatch Wolf did a pretty good video on what exactly happened to the Simpsons and why it started going downhill in the first place, and what made it so special to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chrpno posted:

But her legend will live forever.

Yeah. The legend of the dog-faced woman!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Maxwell Lord posted:

Personally, the moment that really struck me that something was wrong, watching the show when it was originally broadcast, was the Tomacco episode. They changed animation styles, and something just felt...off. Homer and Bart were too zany, too stupid, and the whole premise of the episode stretched too far. I also think that season brought on a while lot more "Celebrity guest" episodes as well. Was that the same season with the Join the Navy Backstreet Boys disaster as well?

I used to religiously watch the show back then, but after Tomacco the honeymoon was over and it was just downhill. In retrospect, the show probably jumped the shark a season or two before that, but going forward it was actively bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

LogisticEarth posted:

Was that the same season with the Join the Navy Backstreet Boys disaster as well?

I used to religiously watch the show back then, but after Tomacco the honeymoon was over and it was just downhill. In retrospect, the show probably jumped the shark a season or two before that, but going forward it was actively bad.

It's the season after they have the boy band episode, but yeah it's definitely where it devolved into "Oh wow *Insert celebrity here* is over there!".

Nevertheless it still had a few funny moments back then and I will never not laugh at "Yeah that's right... Lieutenant L.T. Smash".