Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Atreus posted:

Mercy is making me tilt, I don't know how they thought this current design is legit. Pharah Mercy is broken as poo poo and forces McCree+76+Widow every game it seems like.

The only logic I can think of that makes a lick of sense for the new changes were they were decided back before Doomfist's nerfs. Possibly even thought up before Roadhog's. Since one shots and a frequent rez balance each other out to some degree. That said, it is a pretty moronic change and I'm surprised that it got past the PTR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Blizzard doesn't listen to PTR because not enough people play it to get valuable feedback

People don't play the PTR because none of their feedback aside from obviously broken poo poo is listened to.

Obviously broken being stuff like "this character crashes the game".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe more people would try out the ptr if there were more than 2 servers for that poo poo in the entire world

seriously good luck getting in there on the day they push a patch

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
PTR should award XP normally, or... have something that doesn't give it an opportunity cost compared to just doing normal quickplay or ranked.

I mean, I'm sure it's important to the intensely competitive folks to try and preview and comment on every change, but there's not much reason for a casual player like me to trouble myself with being a volunteer QA tester for a multi-billion dollar company.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

If we get five picks and its all dps, then there's barely any point in me picking one or the other so I'm just going to pick whatever the hell I feel like and the team can faceplant until someone else switches into a useful role.

When this happens I just pick Torb or Junkrat, it's so much more fun.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's just seems like no thought went into it at all, why didn't they just make her res less ridiculous? Maybe less invincible time, or stop Mercy herself being invincible, or just slow the charge?

Mercy isn't invincible anymore. Shoot her

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Mercy isn't invincible anymore. Shoot her

He's talking about the resurrectees, I think, who are absolutely still invulnerable while being raised.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's talking about the resurrectees, I think, who are absolutely still invulnerable while being raised.

Yeah for a couple of seconds. You can also bubble them pre-emptively, so if my mercy does a safe Rez on someone who isn't behind a corner yet, I can just bubble them before they're even vulnerable to being hooked/punched/shot.

Feels real bad for anyone who's trying to rekill my teammates. On another note however, I managed to bodyblock a rez on Horizon and clipped it, i'll be uploading it over the course of tomorrow, because it was loving hilarious.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He says "mercy herself" so it read like he was misinformed

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My friends are terrible at this game. Just awful. Like "Offense Hanzo" and "Reinhardt + Bastion on the payload is the best strategy" awful.

Until I realized I could play as Zarya and profit off their bad decisions.

Are there any Zarya text guides out there?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImPureAwesome posted:

He says "mercy herself" so it read like he was misinformed

Oh yeah, you're right. Still "less invincible time" could easily apply to both even if it no longer applies to Mercy, and having a window to make people stay dead while they're still adjusting to not being dead would certainly dial down rez's power a bit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CaptainScraps posted:

My friends are terrible at this game. Just awful. Like "Offense Hanzo" and "Reinhardt + Bastion on the payload is the best strategy" awful.

You at least got one person playing a tank and another person paying some attention to where they are, so that's already way ahead of my team for half the games.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CaptainScraps posted:

I've got a kinda half serious one that i've written up. If there is interest I can put together something slightly more comprehensive.

Here it is:

Zarya playstyles: Pick one and get good at it.

Selfless - Only use personal bubble for charge, jump in the way of firestrikes, junkrat nades, soldier helix, pharah rockets to charge. Only use your ally bubble to save them when they do dumb poo poo like getting hooked.

Benefits - Teammates alive more often, more likely to have bubble when needed

Downside - Lower energy means less grav's

Selfish - My preferred style, aggressively use your shield and tell your teammates to get in the way of enemy fire before you do it. For lower level players tell them to jump in the way of two rockets/nades if you see them coming in.

Benefits - MAXIMUM POWER

Downside - your hooked teammate is probably hosed.

How to get charge with allies:

Play Zarya with either a main tank (Rein/Winston) or a sufficiently aggro offtank (this is roadhog). IF YOUR TEAM WON'T PLAY THESE CHARACTERS, DO NOT PLAY ZARYA

When you tank does a "main tank thing" (rein walks in, Winston jumps in) bubble that tank.

Winston: A good winston will wait a second for your bubble to break before putting his bubble down. If he isn't, tell him to. If he still isn't, don't bubble the stupid gently caress until his bubble breaks.

Rein: A good rein will drop his shield and start swinging if you bubble him. A bad rein needs to be told to do so. It is your job as Zarya to only bubble him when it is safe for him to put down the shield, if he puts his shield down to charge up your bubble and the soldier behind it gets sniped, it is YOUR FAULT. Clever shield usage starts and ends with you. You should also bubble him every time he charges or ults, because he'll be exposed while doing both.

Hog: Bubble him when he goes for the sick nasty flankhook that he'll loving miss anyway because he's a piece of poo poo. Gain a ton of charge because people are scared of hog for some reason despite him being a useless sack of poo poo.

Honourable mentions:

Doomfist: Why is this rear end in a top hat running doomfist in the pharmercy meta? Bubble the idiot every time he charges in for free charge and maybe he won't die and feed all game long.

Reaper: This gently caress will probably deathblossom in front of someone who can stun him like an idiot. Bubble him to stop the stun so he can get POTG despite your loving insane predictions saving his worthless life.

Mercy: This stupid tosser is probably stood somewhere the genji can ult into her. Bubble her and get 40 charge because it'll probably take this idiot 2 slashes to realise they even need to run away.

How to get charge with yourself

Jump in front of pharah rockets, junk nades, helix rockets (take a few bullets without shielding, then hit shield, many soldiers won't fire the helix unless the first bullets aren't shielded), torb turrets and orisa spam. If the enemy is dumb enough to run D.va, wait until she presses her rockets, then shield it. You'll probably get 40 charge from that+guns

Do this constantly, play really aggressive but in sightline of a healer and near cover you can duck behind.

How to use charge

If the enemy is running a D.va, draw a giant loving dick in her armour. She can't do poo poo to stop you, bully her out of it or make her fly away.

Hit the easy targets. If you can go for a genji or a cree, shoot the loving cree. What's he going to do, slowly walk away? If he does the AD spam bullshit just grenade his feet. At full charge each grenade does 90 damage, shoot him twice and punch him. Eat poo poo, cowboy.

Tank pressure: If they have a tank, hit the tank. At max charge you're doing 190dps, if you're lucky enough to get nano'd (but you won't, because you're not a loving weeb) you're melting any DPS in under a second and most tanks in 3 at most.

Shoot nades into clusters of enemies: In fact, just always shoot nades if you're not beaming people down. Nades splash and can get you crucial ult charge in between fights. Firing a nade at six clustered enemies in a grav without a shield? You just did 540 damage, son.

Grav tricks:

The sandpit:

Many maps have high ground and its generally best to be up there, but if you're comboing with say, a pharah, you can actually grav under the floor if its thin enough. It'll stick whoever's on top in place, they can't eat it with a D.va and your pharah can barrage the assholes. You should also bubble her for free charge. Not because you want to protect her. gently caress pharah players, tbh.

Examples, horizon point B, enemy generally likes to take high ground, stand under it. Kings row, catwalk just before capturing point B, occasionally a team will rush through that room, just grav the catwalk.

The fly trap:

If you have ult, murder whatever chucklefuck is closest to you, then back off. As soon as you see mercy come in, grav the corpse (just before she gets there). She'll get caught, even if she rez's that chucklefuck will die too and its a won teamfight.

E: Also if anyone gives you poo poo for solograving a mercy tell them a GM player told you to do it because if you have the choice between murdering mercy and murdering two other idiots you should just murder mercy. Or call them a loving wanker.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

dogstile posted:

Zarya Guide

I dig it. It makes a lot of sense and that's how I've been playing.

But oh, that mercy trick. I'ma get that hussy. Thank you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

The most important thing for Zarya is to understand flow and positioning. You want to find the very fine line between "on the frontlines" and "overextended", and then dance back and forth across that line as much as possible, while also keeping an eye on teammates who approach that line. You don't want to toss shields on people and then tell them to jump into trouble - you want to toss shields on people who are already in trouble.

While Zarya's all about her shield abilities, what's less noticeable is that half her healthbar is also made up of shields, which will regenerate if she doesn't take fire for a couple of seconds. This means that she can afford to take a bit of damage, because she'll regenerate half her health every time you duck behind cover. The basic Zarya flow is very simple - overextend a little bit to threaten the enemies and draw fire, take a little bit of damage, pop your shield, and retreat to a safe position while continuing to soak up fire. If you ever see a teammate in front of you, that means that either you're too far back or they're probably about to need an ally shield. In a few seconds, they'll probably start taking damage, start to retreat, and realize they're in too deep and too outnumbered to make it to safety - that's the best time to use your ally shield.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CaptainScraps posted:

the categories are bullshit, pay no attention to the "defense" above Hanzo's head. He is, if anything, better on attack.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
plenty of people play the PTR anyways

blizz just doesn't pay attention

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you and your friend get good at Zarya/Rein you'll win a lot of games. That's a great combo with a lot of synergy. Just tell your Rein every time you're gonna bubble him to drop his shield. Works like a charm. You get charge, he get kills because he doesn't insta die by dropping shield, then you get kills because you've got charge, and all profit. If you're on comms together it's real easy to pull off.

I do this a lot with a buddy who plays Zarya sometimes, and it works real well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

D.Va is a fantastic Zarya buddy as long as you coordinate bubbles and matrix usage.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Just spent $7 :canada: on five boxes and just got a few from the arcade and still no 80's Zarya :argh:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

plenty of people play the PTR anyways

blizz just doesn't pay attention
PTR is really bad for testing stuff like the Mercy change, because all the games in PTR at that point had a Mercy on both teams since her and DVa were the only reasons you'd hop on at all.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
As a frequent ptr player I can confirm no one actually plays ptr. I've had weekends where I get matched up to the same handful of people for hours at a time. I've also had weekends with 20+ minute queues. People play the changed heroes + whatever else, if it's not a support or tank being changed you can count on 6x dps teams. There is zero ability to test balance on ptr outside of obvious system breaks and bugs.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Yeah PTR play is not at all representative of a valuable balance testing environment. Unfortunately live is though so thats where we end up figuring it out

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mercy still feels really obnoxious and busted in mirror games though. I'm surprised it got through but then again the PTR thought Sombra and Orisa would be broken.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mercy still feels really obnoxious and busted in mirror games though. I'm surprised it got through but then again the PTR thought Sombra and Orisa would be broken.

To be fair, Sombra is broken. Her ult is super powerful and can be up every teamfight if the team is clever. It's just it actually requires skill to pull off, whereas mercy is good even if you're poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

To be fair, Sombra is broken. Her ult is super powerful and can be up every teamfight if the team is clever. It's just it actually requires skill to pull off, whereas mercy is good even if you're poo poo.

If you have a team smart/coordinated enough to play around the health packs you'd probably win with most any team comp anyways though.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You really only need a single tank to be playing healthpacks, in order to get an emp every 45s. If you have a team playing around it, you can easily have an emp at the start of a fight, and another halfway through.

Lucio is a force-scale multiplier for his team, Sombra uses her team as a force -scale multiplier for herself to become one of the most oppressive heroes in the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Her ult is not well designed, basically.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ginette Reno posted:

If you have a team smart/coordinated enough to play around the health packs you'd probably win with most any team comp anyways though.

As others have said, you only really need one other person, or a convenient health pack. This is why she's so loving horrible to play against on temple.

In other news, playing on my main in QP is fun. List of things said to me for not carrying dumb people:

I'm a jew and should be burned like one
4000sr and useless
4000sr and retarded
poo poo and boosted
Low self esteem that's why i'm playing against diamonds

Thanks community.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The thing that really hurts Sombra I think is damaging her makes her unable to hack. Half the time I try to hack someone and by the time I start they already notice and hit me so I can't disable them.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Letting her back through damage would make her way too strong. Any ability-based hero would hosed hard by her completely without counterplay.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sure, but it's really punishing to lose your hack completely. It would be nice if it refunded part of the cooldown on getting interrupted.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You don't lose it unless it goes off though.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

wyoak posted:

PTR is really bad for testing stuff like the Mercy change, because all the games in PTR at that point had a Mercy on both teams since her and DVa were the only reasons you'd hop on at all.

Mercy/dva on every team is pretty standard now, though, so while I get your point in general that was still a pretty accurate test bed tbqh.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dogstile posted:

In other news, playing on my main in QP is fun. List of things said to me for not carrying dumb people:

4000sr and useless
4000sr and retarded
poo poo and boosted

Thanks community.

On the plus side if they say specifically that stuff specifically in text chat and not screaming it in voice, they'll get a 24hr chat time out in 3-4 months. On that account, anyway. What are the odds such Extremely Online folk have smurfs?

So you've got that going for you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

never been big on lockout elim but man does getting all 9 final blows in a shutout make you feel cool

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

dogstile posted:

As others have said, you only really need one other person, or a convenient health pack. This is why she's so loving horrible to play against on temple.

4000sr and useless
4000sr and retarded
poo poo and boosted

Thanks community.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Shnag posted:

Just spent $7 :canada: on five boxes and just got a few from the arcade and still no 80's Zarya :argh:

I wish unlock trading was a thing. I bought $20 of loot boxes last night and 80s Zarya was one of the first things that dropped. I opened every single box hoping for the Zenyatta or Sym skins and wasn't able to get either one. Had just enough coins to buy the Zenyatta one though. I got the Mei skin that I totally forgot about so that was a nice surprise.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

dogstile posted:

Sombra really just needs one person willing to combo ults with her (Soldier, McCree, Genji, Zarya, etc) and one person to use her health kit to be powerful on maps where there are good kits.

I wonder if part of Sombra's poor winrate is the fact that she's actually much better on offense than defense since she has a very strong initiating ultimate and more maps have health-pack placement that favors the offense? Having a hacked mega near a point is hugely powerful for the offense, but somewhat less important for the defense, since the defense is more likely to have to remain tethered to the actual objective.