Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
So yeah, I know I'm pretty late to this party, and anything I might have to say has probably already been said a dozen times over... but man, that was a trip.

I'd been waiting for a chance to get around to playing this game for a while. Had I known what I was getting into I might've put it off further. See, I decided to play this after several agonizing months of trying to be there for my best friend as her mother literally wasted away and died from an untreatable cancer; all the while I was simultaneously trying to repair my relationship with my own mother. So a lot of the more down to earth stuff in this game hit me pretty hard.

I managed to keep myself pretty spoiler-free, so I thought I was going to have a quirky fun little mystery with cute animals to distract me from recent events. Instead I ended up looking into a funhouse mirror that was full of cute 2d animals who had very not cute, nor two dimensional, issues to contend with. Mae interacting with Bea in particular was pretty gut wrenching at times for me. Mae sometimes being unable to say anything good was so spot on. It really was kind of uncanny for me to play through this. There were times where I literally had to step away and take a day or two to process my own emotions as things just got too real for me at times.

That said, I enjoyed it immensely. The writing was charming and delightfully cynical throughout. And while it definitely got dark at times, it never wallowed. I like the fact that a lot is left unexplained in the end, and the fact that you can't see everything in one go. The town felt very much alive, if albeit dying. But it did convey the idea of how spending time with one person means missing out on other people and experiences pretty well.

The dream sequences were really engaging to me for some reason. Though I wish they had been bigger, more elaborate and that there was more to explore. It felt like I only got to see snippets of a much bigger world that lay beyond.

I don't think I'm quite ready for it just yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to going through the story again and see what other things I may have missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow jeez.

That's the best worst time to pick to play Night in the Woods I've got to say. :stare:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm planning on replaying this sometimes soon. I did the Gregg route because I spoiled myself and watched someone play the Bea route.

Also, it's kind of surprising how Demon Tower is pretty thorough as a game within a game. A good third of my original playthrough was probably spent playing that.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Okay, the Gregg route practically felt like a whole other game to me. Odd how it had so many more wacky hijinks and mini-games. It made jabbing people with a knife practically endearing!

I wanted to hug Bea because I felt so bad for her. I want to hug Gregg because I loved him so much.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Seeing how her Undertale LP was enjoyed by a lot of goons I feel I should mention that laurentheflute has just started this on Twitch.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/925014219761815552

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well that was unexpected. I never imagined NITW as a game that needed a story expansion, but that's cool I guess.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So... what is this exactly? DLC? A new version of the game? It has all the weird bonus games that came with the kickstarter stuff I assume, but if I have the base game do I have to buy it again to get this "expansion?"

Dissapointed in how unclear this is.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Paul Zuvella posted:

So... what is this exactly? DLC? A new version of the game? It has all the weird bonus games that came with the kickstarter stuff I assume, but if I have the base game do I have to buy it again to get this "expansion?"

New edition, free for people that already own the game, the Twitter account described it as "a director's cut" so I'm guessing some stuff they wanted to fit into the game but weren't able to.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/925026352595722241

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/925026838199656451

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/925026838199656451

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

wonder if they’re gonna put a version of the third germ hangout back in

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

its super weird that this information is coming from Scott Benson's personal twitter and not in the actual game announcement lmao

e: Still, gives me a reason to play through again, exciting!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Late to the party but I just finished this game recently with the Gregg ending and was pleasantly surprised to find this weird mix of 2D platforming and Telltale-style choice-based gameplay featuring a cast of anthropomorphic animals would wind up being up there with stuff like Undertale and Life is Strange (the dialogue is almost as goofy as the latter at times too, not that that's a bad thing in my opinion). In fact, at times it manages to hit even harder than those games did (particularly the scene towards the end where Mae is describing her depression).

Not too familiar with the behind the scenes aspects though, what kind of stuff wound up getting cut from the game?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

dmboogie posted:

wonder if they’re gonna put a version of the third germ hangout back in

what do you mean? did they remove something from the game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

Late to the party but I just finished this game recently with the Gregg ending and was pleasantly surprised to find this weird mix of 2D platforming and Telltale-style choice-based gameplay featuring a cast of anthropomorphic animals would wind up being up there with stuff like Undertale and Life is Strange (the dialogue is almost as goofy as the latter at times too, not that that's a bad thing in my opinion). In fact, at times it manages to hit even harder than those games did (particularly the scene towards the end where Mae is describing her depression).

When you get the chance you should also try to play more of Bea's route. Proximity is the single best segment in this game.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I am planning a mostly-Bea run after my mostly-Gregg run, but the couch scene where Mae explains her experience with derealization is already the single best sequence I've encountered in a video game and one of the best I've encountered in fiction, imo. I am biased by having gone through derealization though. Crying at something isn't too rare for me, but it had been a long while since I had simultaneously cried and screamed or cried out at something. Definitely one of my top three games I've played.

I also love that the game connects what is my favorite or nomination for "best" metaphor subject the hole in the world (or the universe, or everything, or whatever) with derealization itself.

In an ideal world the writers of Night in the Woods would be at the start of being on track for the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ymgve posted:

what do you mean? did they remove something from the game?

Yeah, they never finished the sprites for it, but you can see most of the cut third Germ hangout on YouTube, though it's pretty spoilery about the endgame events

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

When you get the chance you should also try to play more of Bea's route. Proximity is the single best segment in this game.

Seconding this, Proximity is really the highlight of the game imo.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Paul Zuvella posted:

I love Gregg to death but drat if the Bea route is not just a more satisfying and well told story.

Gregg is a great second run-though path though, especially with the themes of moving on and growing up. It's a great way to "end" the game if you've already played through Bea's side.

Also, yay! More Night in the Woods! Looks like a new song as well!

Edit: There is also new Merch up in the store. New shirts, pins and stickers. The Gregg shirt is definitely on my Christmas list.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 30, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If we're gonna suffer, we can suffer together with Bea. :3:

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

The whole Bea side of the game really spoke to me. "Finding Bea" was a wonderful, emphatic scene and was the moment I truly loved this game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SmockJoc posted:

The whole Bea side of the game really spoke to me. "Finding Bea" was a wonderful, emphatic scene and was the moment I truly loved this game.

True, the majority of the game's emotional moments seem to be on Bea's side of the story but to it's credit Gregg's side does at least have "Shapes" (or whatever the scene of them on the couch is actually called) which is a great scene in and of itself and really explains a lot about Mae and her situation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

uh isnt shapes the one that has either bea or gregg depending on who you spent the most time with in game?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Larryb posted:

True, the majority of the game's emotional moments seem to be on Bea's side of the story but to it's credit Gregg's side does at least have "Shapes" (or whatever the scene of them on the couch is actually called) which is a great scene in and of itself and really explains a lot about Mae and her situation.

You can get that with either one. It depends on who you spent more time with.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I did Bea's first social link, and while it wasn't bad, it didn't enchant me.

Gregg is one of the good ones and a real keeper.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
While I enjoyed both, Bea left a bigger impression on me on account of how many similarities I found with the character and my own friends. Whereas, I don't think I really know anyone in real life that Gregg reminds me of. Certain characters will resonate with certain people, of course.

I think it would have been interesting had they been able to develop full playthroughs where you build your friendship with other characters, like Angus, Germ or Lori. I'd definitely like to know what any of them would have had to say to Mae were they lying on that couch that night.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Am I silly for wanting a physical release of this game?

...on Switch?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

Am I silly for wanting a physical release of this game?

...on Switch?

No, because I'm begging for the same.

Well, physical or digital.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

You can get that with either one. It depends on who you spent more time with.

Ah, that makes more sense seeing as that scene is kind of crucial to Mae's character arc after all. Still one of my favorite parts of the game though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 31, 2017

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'd love to see another scene with Lori M in particular. She is just a fascinating character for the brief snippets we get especially cause it seems she is "next" with regards to the ending's plot, as so far as being affected. Also, she is pretty adorable.

I know its late in the game's life for spoilers but hey. Her weird thoughts and odd fascinations with horror movies. Her anxiety. I really like the railroad scenes in general and the feeling of angst that accompanies them. She reminds me of Mae in a lot of ways. I cannot help but think some of her issues are related to Monster singing to so speak and her only just starting to hear it.

It may ruin the mystery a bit, but I'd like another scene with her character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The part where they both run around on their stumps after the train cuts their legs off is pretty great

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Synthbuttrange posted:

The part where they both run around on their stumps after the train cuts their legs off is pretty great

They got better tho.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The thing about Bea vs Gregg is that it just kind of feels like Gregg will be okay whether you hang out with him or not. If you hang out with him there's just a bit of a road bump that happens between you him and Angus. If you don't he'll still continue his life with Angus happily. But on Bea's side, rekindling that friendship with Mae is super important and helps her get out of this rut of "my life sucks, I'm stuck in this job I hate forever". The end of it has this bit of hope to it where they decide to plan a road trip and Bea is obviously not feeling like she's just drowning in this life and job anymore. But if you go Gregg's route she just... stays where she is, forever.

I said it before but I feel like they shouldn't have bothered to try to make it more like a game by having the choice between Gregg and Bea at all. I think it should've had both because both stories are good but Bea's is the one that has the most emotional impact

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I never got to meet Lori, but I saw some stuff about her on a wiki. That's what second playthroughs are for, though not till at least December now.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i don't know if i want more angus scenes, what they gave us seem adequate enough. for some reason i really identify with him being the guy who holds poo poo up altogether in relationships and social circles

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Onomarchus posted:

I never got to meet Lori, but I saw some stuff about her on a wiki.

She seemed like someone who could benefit from having Mae as a friend. Feel less like a freak, avoid making the same kind of mistakes, etc. type thing. Everyone can use a friend who thinks that what most people think is weird about us is in fact pretty rad.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Macaluso posted:

The thing about Bea vs Gregg is that it just kind of feels like Gregg will be okay whether you hang out with him or not. If you hang out with him there's just a bit of a road bump that happens between you him and Angus. If you don't he'll still continue his life with Angus happily. But on Bea's side, rekindling that friendship with Mae is super important and helps her get out of this rut of "my life sucks, I'm stuck in this job I hate forever". The end of it has this bit of hope to it where they decide to plan a road trip and Bea is obviously not feeling like she's just drowning in this life and job anymore. But if you go Gregg's route she just... stays where she is, forever.

I said it before but I feel like they shouldn't have bothered to try to make it more like a game by having the choice between Gregg and Bea at all. I think it should've had both because both stories are good but Bea's is the one that has the most emotional impact

Yeah, on one hand I agree, there's room for both storylines in one play through but I think it's fine in the sense that it's bait to get a player to play a second time. On the second play through you'll notice more things, probably find more leads to side stories with Germ and Lori M, etc that you'll miss the first time. That's assuming your first run is blind anyways. They could have made all the content hard to miss but I think that kills the sense of exploration that is really at the heart of the game.

So I think you could argue either way.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I always like replaying games I feel have a good story and character development at least once more after I've finished it. Even if just to see how much more I can get out of it now that I know what the deal is. A lot of what people say and do can take on a whole new meaning once you know what's really on their minds and what motivates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My first time through was G, B, G, Graveyard, Legends, Possum Jump

B, G, B, Historical Society, Proximity, Possum Jump is the Sharkle run.

Wounds and Proximity are probably my favorites.