Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

zirconmusic posted:

I know it's not really a roguelike and I'm years late to the party BUT.. I finally started playing Nuclear Throne. Cool game! 15 hours in and I've made it to the final boss 3 times, haven't won yet tho. Would be interesting to see the same kind of gameplay but turn-based.

Hey shut up

I have like 70 hours in that game but have still beat the bounty hunter ONCE. You and that other person that claimed they looped in 8 hours of play are making me feel bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

zirconmusic posted:

I know it's not really a roguelike and I'm years late to the party BUT.. I finally started playing Nuclear Throne. Cool game! 15 hours in and I've made it to the final boss 3 times, haven't won yet tho. Would be interesting to see the same kind of gameplay but turn-based.

Try Starward Rogue on the mech that makes time only move when they move for that kind of gameplay! It's just as weird and interesting as Nuclear Throne, and easier for my reflex-poor self.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

zirconmusic posted:

I know it's not really a roguelike

NT owns, it's almost too good. I wish Gungeon was as much fun. Vlambeer does a lot right and one of their best secret sauces is screen shake. Yes really, in all their games. They have weird camera jank that actually feels good down to a science. Jelly.

I wanna make a dmans action game one day. One day!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try Starward Rogue on the mech that makes time only move when they move for that kind of gameplay! It's just as weird and interesting as Nuclear Throne, and easier for my reflex-poor self.
I like this!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hooplah posted:

Hey shut up

I have like 70 hours in that game but have still beat the bounty hunter ONCE. You and that other person that claimed they looped in 8 hours of play are making me feel bad

There are two ways to beat Lil' Hunter. You can play very cautiuosly and peek around corners and slowly wear him down.

Or you can play YV and shoot him with 4 nukes before the boss intro sound finishes playing. :hellyeah:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lil hunter is absolutely 100% a scenario where you have to put the game's motto of KILL QUICK into action or else your chances of dying grow exponentially larger with each passing second

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Little Hunter is about finding cover, ducking out, lobbing your biggest hit at him, then ducking back into cover, all while trying to avoid all the other monsters because he doesn't give you the decency to wait until you're ready to fight him.

Crossbows, heavy crossbows, sluggers, and grenades all make good weapons for fighting him. I've tried using bazookas and invariably I accidentally shoot the cover 6 inches from my face instead of the boss. So, uh, having Boiling Veins can help there. :v:

And yeah, YV has a huge advantage just because his active ability is perfect for dumping a huge pile of damage on something and then running and hiding for a bit. In general, if you're having trouble with the game, unlocking YV is a good idea.

That poor bastard. :allears:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I suck at Gungeon. It feels like a more methodical and less swingy version of Nuclear Throne. That game's (Gungeon) biggest problem in my mind is that the weapons feel way too samey and are terribly balanced. I tried to play it again a couple weeks ago and it just made me want to go back to Dead Cells, where just about every single weapon feels distinct and powerful once you learn how to use it correctly. Very different world.

Gungeon banked way too hard on the novelty of a lot of its guns being good enough to get them used no matter how terrible they were.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 28, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The only thing worse than an enemy gift exchanging the massive dot you put on it is when you have a brain fart and do it yourself.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
X-posting from the horror thread since three of his games are indeed roguelikes (in the looser sense of the word):

Not sure if this is kosher or not BUT I figured this might be of interest to some of you:

My game dev team and I will be interviewing/chatting with indie horror/roguelike developer Depressing Drawers (Dead End Road, The Nothing, Illuminascii) today at 5pm EST on our Game Development Twitch channel https://m.twitch.tv/deliinteractive/

So come on by if you wanna join in on the discussion! Also if anyone has any good interview questions that would make for an interesting stream I'm all ears!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bert of the Forest posted:

X-posting from the horror thread since three of his games are indeed roguelikes (in the looser sense of the word):

Not sure if this is kosher or not BUT I figured this might be of interest to some of you:

My game dev team and I will be interviewing/chatting with indie horror/roguelike developer Depressing Drawers (Dead End Road, The Nothing, Illuminascii) today at 5pm EST on our Game Development Twitch channel https://m.twitch.tv/deliinteractive/

So come on by if you wanna join in on the discussion! Also if anyone has any good interview questions that would make for an interesting stream I'm all ears!

"Why make a game in [genre]? Why not a more popular genre like FPSes?" - a good question for almost any gamedev I think.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Has anyone tried out the beta for the next ADOM version? I just beat pixel dungeon and I figured I'd play something more substantial. I wanted to try the new easy mode because I've never gotten anywhere in the game. Somehow the devs thought giving you even less control over character creation was a good idea. I got to level 6 without the game picking any talents relevant to my character and just gave up.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Has anyone tried out the beta for the next ADOM version? I just beat pixel dungeon and I figured I'd play something more substantial. I wanted to try the new easy mode because I've never gotten anywhere in the game. Somehow the devs thought giving you even less control over character creation was a good idea. I got to level 6 without the game picking any talents relevant to my character and just gave up.

dont use those casual features because theyre bad and if youve ever played a roguelike even once in your life you dont need them. maybe they'll get adjusted at some point but until then it's gonna pick +1 learning and sixth sense or whatever garbage

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I regret not buying into that beta because I don't want to play knowing that a non lovely missile reload system is out there

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

I regret not buying into that beta because I don't want to play knowing that a non lovely missile reload system is out there

the current patch on the beta doesn't have that yet i think, but what it does have is an incredibly annoying bug that affects targeting and look modes! you can either move two tiles at once, or move normally except diagonals just dont work! biskup!!

rolf quest stuff helps reduce ultra ending artifact rng which is nice, though the AoLS is still the bottleneck even with the guaranteed pools

e: also tiles mode ui got changed and sometimes blocks the top row! biskup!!! it' sdefinitely, definitely a beta patch

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rock Paper Shotgun was pretty excited about Golden Krone Hotel; has anyone here tried it out and have any thoughts?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Beamed posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun was pretty excited about Golden Krone Hotel; has anyone here tried it out and have any thoughts?

It's good! It's not as mind-bogglingly complex as our local roguelikes, but it's real solid to play and has an interesting interplay between the light mechanics, the vampire/werewolf mechanics, how it handles potions and magic, and I've whiled away happy hours ping-ponging between the two factions and learning what gets you dead.

I'd mark it down as one of the better recent roguelike offerings - especially since it's so focused.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

dont use those casual features because theyre bad and if youve ever played a roguelike even once in your life you dont need them. maybe they'll get adjusted at some point but until then it's gonna pick +1 learning and sixth sense or whatever garbage

I've beaten several roguelikes but I never seem to get any further than the dwarftown every time I play. I was mostly just curious about the fudged die rolls.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is quite literally somebody getting bullied with "stop hitting yourself". :allears:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

rodbeard posted:

I've beaten several roguelikes but I never seem to get any further than the dwarftown every time I play. I was mostly just curious about the fudged die rolls.

Last time I played ADOM my barbarian made it all the way to the Tomb of the High Kings, and died by getting confused and stumbling into the pirahna lake. Apparently the old ways to not move while confused don’t work in newer versions. I’m still mad about that.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Last time I played ADOM my barbarian made it all the way to the Tomb of the High Kings, and died by getting confused and stumbling into the pirahna lake. Apparently the old ways to not move while confused don’t work in newer versions. I’m still mad about that.

there's new ways. take off equipment or try to cast spells are two of them, there might be more. ideally you just dont do TotHK until you have mental stability and the water orb or something though because taking off your gloves over and over while skeletons hit you isnt ideal

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Am I missing something or is there really no way to exit Cogmind in fullscreen without pressing a 4-key combo?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

alt-f4

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
trying to play dungeon crawl again. I'm pretty consistant at getting myself killed at some point after the temples but before anything interesting so thats good.

last run was going okay until my old pc ghost drained me to poo poo tier stats, and all the stairs down to the next levels were surrounded by bees and ogres and im too impatient to grind out drain on some safe level as opposed to dying terribly

for as much as i like playing rouge-lites, i dont think ive actually genuinely won an old school type one at all

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is also fairly likely worth noting that Arcen is working on an Expansion to Starward Rogue----historically, this probably has more chance of being a good thing than a bad one...in terms of streaking...well, we'll just have to see~

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

after multiple runs through Cogmind I made it to Research -3 and got swarmed by Programmers before I could find a way out.

I still don't quite understand what the heck I'm doing, and I wish tiles mode made the enemies look a bit more distinct (I'm still relying on the name popups), but the game's pretty good so far.

A couple things that annoy me is that I can't equip off the ground (or at least haven't figured out the commands to do so) so if my inventory's full I have to do the drop-shuffle to try stuff on, and that combat outside my FOV is still fully animated so once in a while I'll have to sit and wait while volleys fly that I'm not seeing. It only gets real bad when it's something like the squad-vs-squad combats in Mines, though.

Certain parts seem really tough to find, like hacking utilities which makes lategame hacking a nonstarter if you're unlucky enough to miss out.

The game is a visual masterpiece, though. It's easily the best-looking roguelike I've ever played, both in tiles and ASCII mode. You can tell Kyrzati poured a lot of love into the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

after multiple runs through Cogmind I made it to Research -3 and got swarmed by Programmers before I could find a way out.

I still don't quite understand what the heck I'm doing, and I wish tiles mode made the enemies look a bit more distinct (I'm still relying on the name popups), but the game's pretty good so far.

A couple things that annoy me is that I can't equip off the ground (or at least haven't figured out the commands to do so) so if my inventory's full I have to do the drop-shuffle to try stuff on, and that combat outside my FOV is still fully animated so once in a while I'll have to sit and wait while volleys fly that I'm not seeing. It only gets real bad when it's something like the squad-vs-squad combats in Mines, though.

Certain parts seem really tough to find, like hacking utilities which makes lategame hacking a nonstarter if you're unlucky enough to miss out.

The game is a visual masterpiece, though. It's easily the best-looking roguelike I've ever played, both in tiles and ASCII mode. You can tell Kyrzati poured a lot of love into the game.

press A while standing on a thing to equip thing

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Like Synth said, pressing 'a' attaches whatever your standing ontop of to you. It's really smart about it too. Like, if one of your legs is near bust and you stand on a leg, pressing 'a' will swap out the damaged leg with the fresh one. It'll also swap out lower-tier equipment with higher-tier equipment (Of the same type).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

One downside of a super dense GUI is that it's super easy to overlook stuff, and I see now the "Get Item and Attach" option in [2] Advanced under Control. I was looking at the Parts window looking for the equip-from-floor option and feel dumb now.

That's a major convenience now and I now like Cogmind all that much better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I agree that getting hacking gear reliably is a huge pain.

They payoff when you hack a factory to create your own legion of robotroops is great though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cogmind has "SITREP Saturdays", huh? Unormal should sue.

zirconmusic should start up "Tangledeep Thursdays" so I can have a regular drip of roguelike content

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

John Lee posted:

zirconmusic should start up "Tangledeep Thursdays" so I can have a regular drip of roguelike content
No.

In fact I'm going to hire burly cornfed professionals to live in his office and force him to adopt a slower update cadence before he devs himself into a coma.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

No.

In fact I'm going to hire burly cornfed professionals to live in his office and force him to adopt a slower update cadence before he devs himself into a coma.

Tangledeep Two-O'Clocks

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

madjackmcmad posted:

No.

The picture this put in my head is the best thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tangledeep Twice-A-Day

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2017/10/full-steam-release-adom-236-is-here.html

even more adom poo poo!!!! humans mad buffed, non-light healing spells have been buffed, there's some babby quests at the start to help direct new players, fighters got slightly buffed, targeting mode fixed, statues are no longer mysteriously invisible, a bunch of minor bug fixes! wow!!

e: noted already top tier class priests now guaranteed to start with a great spell too now lol

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 31, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Spelunky 2 was announced for Steam and PS4!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Spelunky 2 was announced for Steam and PS4!
Oh shiiiiiit

Fake Edit: The trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2hII7JE7o4

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't know how the heck they're gonna follow up the best game I've ever played, but I can't wait to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I don't know how the heck they're gonna follow up the best game I've ever played, but I can't wait to find out!

Every enemy is a yeti, a plant, or a shopkeeper. The shopkeepers are now plant-riding yetis with shotguns.