Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Brother Friendship posted:

They were called away twice. Once to ambush the troopers in the cave and a second time when the kids light the cave on fire. But Hoop finds Reiser well after the troopers are ambushed and immediately before the kids light the fire.

I'm just a little disappointed that the show has plot holes and overlooked a good amount of stuff when the first season was famous for tying everything up so neatly.

Another annoying thing for me was the lack of a payoff for putting the demidog into the fridge. I actually got really tense when I saw it because I thought that the cold air was going to restore the demidog and it would get set loose on the kids. After Billy showed up and the kids left I thought we were going to get a scene with it coming alive and devouring Bill. When -that- didn't happen I was expecting the science teacher to congratulate Dunston or whatever, the kid with no teeth/new teeth, for discovering a new species of amphibians (a nod to the government cover up plot). Instead...absolutely nothing?

I'm just disappointed we didn't get to see Joyce opening the fridge and finding out all the food has been replaced by a dead dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I hope the science teacher is the next character to be brought in the fold.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm hoping Mike's parents are kind of forced into the know-how, by complete accident. I just kind of want to see Ted freak out, honestly.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I'm hoping Mike's parents are kind of forced into the know-how, by complete accident. I just kind of want to see Ted freak out, honestly.

Ted wouldn't give a single gently caress.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If another gate opens just tell him it's a portal to Russia and he'll solve the whole season himself.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I'm just disappointed we didn't get to see Joyce opening the fridge and finding out all the food has been replaced by a dead dog.

that would have been amazing

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Watching the first episode. the scene with (not a spoiler) the KFC front and center in the shot was really distracting and obvious. Did they even say “KFC” in the 80s? “Finger-lickin good” made me cringe

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Another annoying thing for me was the lack of a payoff for putting the demidog into the fridge. I actually got really tense when I saw it because I thought that the cold air was going to restore the demidog and it would get set loose on the kids. After Billy showed up and the kids left I thought we were going to get a scene with it coming alive and devouring Bill. When -that- didn't happen I was expecting the science teacher to congratulate Dunston or whatever, the kid with no teeth/new teeth, for discovering a new species of amphibians (a nod to the government cover up plot). Instead...absolutely nothing?

I thought Billy would wake up, go looking for a beer, find the dead monster and realize weird poo poo was going on.

And Ted won't care about anything other than the Mind Flayer's language.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Watching the first episode. the scene with (not a spoiler) the KFC front and center in the shot was really distracting and obvious. Did they even say “KFC” in the 80s? “Finger-lickin good” made me cringe

As a teen in the 80s, we totally did in my small Illinois town.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, Billy never having a watershed moment was a big waste of screen time and build up of him as a lovely person for no payoff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

They went heavier with the 80's stuff this time for sure. Next season the NES will be released though! Bet that's gonna be a big thing!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I liked the season! I was annoyed that it took so long to feel like there was a central conflict driving the plot, as opposed to season 1 where poo poo is going down and there's this mystery and a missing kid right off the bat.

But by episode 6 I was really digging it. End of episode 6 felt like the first real cliffhanger. I didn't mind episode 7 because in the context of a show designed for binging, it was a bit of suspense/delayed gratification before El throwing herself back into the main plot. I appreciated the story beats her side adventure hit, even if they were tropey.

I loved Els fight with Hopper. She has so much pain and trauma but it also felt really true to an adolescent who is just growing up and is sick of being stuck where she is and just wants to be out with her friends. But that window shattering frustration is exactly what puberty felt like, except without the psionic ability to shatter windows with my mind.

8 and 9 were great. They made me forgive the rest of the season for everything else. I mean, it isn't going to keep me from typing the below paragraphs, but I loved it anyway.

My main nitpick is that I'm pretty sure those flat fronted busses were anachronistic. We didn't get those in my district until the mid to late 90s. The earliest flatnose bus I could find online was listed as 1998. Wikipedia says "transit style" school busses weren't introduced until the late 80's. I don't remember being mad about this last season but I am mad now. Were these the same busses as last season? Did we talk about this last year?

Second, in season 1 we saw the big glowing eggs in the upside down. They were 1-2 feet tall. These were way too big for demdogs, seeing as their pollywog stage can fit in the palm of a kids hand. What's the deal with the eggs! I feel like the implication was supposed to be more demigorgons, which happened, except that the size was all wrong.

Also Billy was pointless. Also why didn't Paul Reiser get eaten. Also it was implausible they put together the map that way with all tubes and elbows.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Knockknees posted:

I liked the season! I was annoyed that it took so long to feel like there was a central conflict driving the plot, as opposed to season 1 where poo poo is going down and there's this mystery and a missing kid right off the bat.

But by episode 6 I was really digging it. End of episode 6 felt like the first real cliffhanger. I didn't mind episode 7 because in the context of a show designed for binging, it was a bit of suspense/delayed gratification before El throwing herself back into the main plot. I appreciated the story beats her side adventure hit, even if they were tropey.

I loved Els fight with Hopper. She has so much pain and trauma but it also felt really true to an adolescent who is just growing up and is sick of being stuck where she is and just wants to be out with her friends. But that window shattering frustration is exactly what puberty felt like, except without the psionic ability to shatter windows with my mind.

8 and 9 were great. They made me forgive the rest of the season for everything else. I mean, it isn't going to keep me from typing the below paragraphs, but I loved it anyway.

My main nitpick is that I'm pretty sure those flat fronted busses were anachronistic. We didn't get those in my district until the mid to late 90s. The earliest flatnose bus I could find online was listed as 1998. Wikipedia says "transit style" school busses weren't introduced until the late 80's. I don't remember being mad about this last season but I am mad now. Were these the same busses as last season? Did we talk about this last year?

Second, in season 1 we saw the big glowing eggs in the upside down. They were 1-2 feet tall. These were way too big for demdogs, seeing as their pollywog stage can fit in the palm of a kids hand. What's the deal with the eggs! I feel like the implication was supposed to be more demigorgons, which happened, except that the size was all wrong.

Also Billy was pointless. Also why didn't Paul Reiser get eaten. Also it was implausible they put together the map that way with all tubes and elbows.

I mean season 1 already laid the groundwork for the Demogorgon using its victims as incubators. Barb had a slug crawling out of her mouth and Will had a tentacle down his throat probably laying an egg/larvae, followed up by throwing up the slug at the very end. I think the eggs are some other species.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did the Byer's dog die? I don't remember it in this season at all.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Billy is Henry Bowers with a ginger step-mom.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Verisimilidude posted:

I dunno, I felt like Steve trying to make an awkward little joke by throwing out that line just highlighted how uncomfortable he and Nancy felt in that scene and he was poorly attempting to break the tension.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Verisimilidude posted:

Yep. And “Finger-lickin good” was totally KFC's motto.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Yep. And “Finger-lickin good” was totally KFC's motto.

Are there people that don't know this?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I think in the shower scene he should have had his hair like Ferris Bueller like in the Domino's commercial.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

There was plenty of blood coming off the dogs during the climax and, to me, that indicated that they were getting mowed down. They also only took a handful of hits to get downed. I was more annoyed that there was a plot based on/off switch for how killable the demodogs were...there were plenty of guards armed with rifles in the lab (did they seriously send every single rifle (all 6) into that obvious trap?) and, more than that, why did Reiser survive a mauling without any indication of how he got away from the dog?)

Because at that point they were hunting for other characters. Who knows how long he hid first.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Knockknees posted:

Yeah I was kinda hoping we'd get to explore more of the upside down's 'ecosystem' or whatever it is.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I really liked this season. I loved the last two episodes. I'll probably be in the minority here but I thought the ridiculously cute finale scene at the dance was perfect. When everything is dark and edgy, sometimes the way to be subversive is a good old fashioned happy ending. I absolutely loved it. :3:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

1. Neglect is abuse.

2. That was definitely abuse.

The reactions from Billy and his stepmom in that scene make me think that there's a whoooole lot more going on with his dad than what's actually shown.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Billy played an excellent young robert downey jr

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I just realized, if the (season spoilers) demodogs are supposed to be the same creatures as the demogorgons, how on earth did Dr. Reiser survive with that leg wound. Barb, Nancy, and Jonathan slicing their palms was enough to draw the demogorgon's attention right to their location. Dr. Reiser's leg wound should have brought every demodog in the building down on him.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

I just realized, if the (season spoilers) demodogs are supposed to be the same creatures as the demogorgons, how on earth did Dr. Reiser survive with that leg wound. Barb, Nancy, and Jonathan slicing their palms was enough to draw the demogorgon's attention right to their location. Dr. Reiser's leg wound should have brought every demodog in the building down on him.

I think the Demodogs might behave differently from the Demogorgon because they are immature or because the Mind Flayer is controlling them, but it wasn't controlling the full grown Demogorgon from before.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Sensory overload. That building was awash with that poo poo.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Also, #TeamSteveForever

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did the Byer's dog die? I don't remember it in this season at all.

What about the drat turtle?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I thought it was meant to be really tongue-in-cheek and he pulled it off just right.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Knockknees posted:

I grew up in IL nw of Chicago and "transit style" school busses were definitely not a thing in the 80s or early-to-mid-90s in the school districts out there. The ones I recall were of this general style: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_B-Series (don't remember for sure if they were Ford, but definitely built along those lines).

The most jarring thing (as somebody pointed out upthread) about all the vehicles is how generally not-rusty they are. 80's vehicles after a few winters in the midwest never stayed pristine, in my recollection.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Has anyone pointed out all the Grant Morrison Invisibles Chaos graffiti splattered all over episode seven?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Why is there a Heroes episode jammed in the middle of this season?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad I'm not the only person who was triggered by the anarchistic cab-over school buses. It's a weird detail to get wrong, why not use any old classic 80's school bus of which there are still tons around?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Thursday Next posted:

My biggest loving problem is that they wrote El as being a jealous bitch to Max.

It’s two-thousand seventeen, you grassfuckers. I know it comes as a shock to some fossilized white men, but “jealous catfight” where the two women fight over the ~man~ is loving tired. It’s a loving insult. It serves no plot purpose. No characterization purpose. Max and El do exactly what they were going to do in the story anyway.

Max stays with the group and saves the day. El stays the course and saves the day. Both are indispensable. Both are strong. Both have absolutely no dialog about that fairly major event after the fact, which is telling, isn’t it? If the party’s honest-to-god mage hates the newcomer so badly, you’d think hat would warrant some dialog? Max showed earlier on that she had some self-esteem; after Mike was a turd to her yet again, she wisely says “gently caress you guys I don’t need you if you won’t stand up for me in your friend group.” Where was that backbone - or at least, some loving concern - this time?

This should be a major pivotal point! Max is the first new player to be entirely brought in to the fold. The whole loving series, one could argue, is about friendship and trust. If one friend does not trust another friend, that is a MAJOR issue. In season 1, that issue took four episodes to resolve and was a major story beat. Why wasn’t it even mentioned now?

Because Hollywood thinks women fight over men. And that’s all we do. We are not real people; we are fools competing to be the Best Girl for the Hero.

No: it’s a loving old white man running the show and being god damned incapable of imagining two similarly-aged women who aren’t related ever getting along because they’re all ~hysterical~.

It was such a huge loving turd. Such a middle finger from Hollywood, directly to women.

In a series where the rest of it is pretty great at making women more than the gently caress trophy, it was a painful goddamn scene. And they obviously didn’t think twice about including it - it’s just obvious to the writers that two women must catfight over the man because we’re all jealous bitches. Because it serves no god drat purpose. It honestly made me hate El and Mike. So the ending - that sappy li’l ending - fell entirely flat.

Mike spent the whole season being a loving anus to Max. To have El sneer at her over a misunderstanding that would be right at home on a sitcom... poo poo.

To be honest, I almost stopped watching at that point. At 8.5 episodes watched. It was such a boring middle finger to the female viewers that I basically lost my bananas. [/spoiler]

gently caress, that pissed me off.

You are really, really over reacting here. It's cringeworthy, really.

Also, I hope season three's plot is something new. Season 2 was basically a repeat of Season 1 with bigger monsters. The mind flayer did have an unnerving as gently caress screen presence about it, though.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Ep9:

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I just finished episode 4, "Will The Wise," and you guys were right, the first three episodes are just a giant, slow burn, but Episode 4 really gets into the meat of the show, with Eleven flipping the gently caress out and using her powers all over the house in the very beginning and Jim digging that hole in the pumpkin field

meeler09
May 24, 2007
Just watched ep 8

Bob's death pissed me off more than anything I've seen lately. Rip you component pusher

Loving the show this season

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got a real Jurassic Park vibe from when the lab gets over run and Bob has to go reset the power, which is good since the novel is at least set in 1986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Thursday Next posted:

gently caress, that pissed me off.

Stop wanting to be so mad at the world, and just enjoy a loving TV show, jesus christ.

This show is fun, spooky, and just as nostalgic as it was last season. I absolutely love El's Chicago look, and Dustin's dance makeover!

I swear to christ Nancy is the 21st century Mia Sara. The casting is so damned good, even Max's brother looks ripped straight from Three O'clock High.

Still good.

• Locked thread