Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, this is how I've been reading it. Heidi is only with him because Cartman is manipulating her and we're not supposed to sympathize with him at all. He's miserable because of his own inability to admit that he's too selfish to be in a relationship and he's not going to let her dump him because he can't see himself as anything less than the most desirable man on earth. The situation is tragic for Heidi though since she seems to be a genuinely good person.

As Kyle said

Kyle Brofloski jewish macho man and all around cool guy posted:

"Break up with her, you clearly can't stand her, let the poor girl go! Heidi is a nice girl how can you so awful to her."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that the joke is less "women are annoying" and more "Men fret over inconsequential poo poo like it's the goddamn end of the world", in the case of Eric & Heidi the joke is even made more explicit as Heidi is very clearly out of Cartman's league, given how smart and funny she is.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
If the victim blaming in the police station was supposed to come off in a bad light I don't think they succeeded. It is the first time I can remember the show actually irking me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kyle's always after other guys girls.

He's a bad friend.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

sassassin posted:

Kyle's always after other guys girls.

He's a bad friend.

I loved the look on his face at Cartman's "what do you know Kyle, you've never had a girlfriend!" What a burn.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that the joke is less "women are annoying" and more "Men fret over inconsequential poo poo like it's the goddamn end of the world"

It doesn't have to be a stereotype of a whole gender. Heidi is annoying to Cartman.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I loved the look on his face at Cartman's "what do you know Kyle, you've never had a girlfriend!" What a burn.

Didn't he have something with that one girl who wanted to wear his rear end as a hat?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I could see Heidi dumping Cartman, which would make him happy. But then she dates one of the other boys, maybe Kenny, and is still around all the time anyway.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Kyle stealing Heidi would make Cartman even more evil than he already is and they should do that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

clown shoes posted:

Kyle stealing Heidi would make Cartman even more evil than he already is and they should do that.

Oh god that would be great.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick
Yeah, imagine that with not even any actual break-up or dumping. Just one day Heidi and Kyle start going steady in public without even letting Cartman know.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

And he was right to look at Cartman that way. Rebecca the home-schooled girl was Kyle's girlfriend for a while.

Phenotype posted:

Didn't he have something with that one girl who wanted to wear his rear end as a hat?
That was Bebe, and that only lasted as long as Truth or Dare did, lol.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Unlike last week which was closer to classic SP, this episode just kinda sucked. I still don't know what they were really trying to say with the witch stuff. You could probably project a lot of current events onto it, so it just ended up vague. They also bring in Garrison/Trump and handle him with kid gloves (he ends up saving the day like a badass) and the Heidi poo poo with "girls be takin' forever to get ready, am I right guys???" is eye-rollingly dated, like they had a 90s stand-up comedian write that part.

It's not about Heidi taking forever, it's about Cartman's reaction to it, and to her in general. He won't just loving ~sever~ even though he's been specifically told to.

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, so who were the witches? I thought it was obvious at the end, but poking around the internet, everyone has their own take.

my 2 cents:

At first, I thought that it was about the Vegas shooting: "good" gun owners vs mass murderers.

Then I thought it was about Harvey Weinstein, and "not ALL men".

And then at the end, I thought it was a parody of Republicans: "you guys pretended to be evil monsters for so long, and now Trump has come along and actually *IS* those horrible things you pretended to be, so you created him."

It was definitely a little muddy because Trump/Garrison actually ended up being the good guy, but Trump specifically has referred to the Russian collusion investigation as a witch hunt.

Bakeneko posted:

Not every episode has to be satirizing a specific recent event. I assumed it was talking about modern witch-hunts in general, and how when one member of a group does something wrong, the rest will focus on trying to protect their own image rather than helping to deal with the bad apple.

The “women take a long time to get dressed” thing is a really old joke, but I liked it because it pissed Cartman off and that’s always funny. It probably didn’t need to be a running gag though.

The "oh I forgot my bracelet" line had me bust out laughing, and Heidi in the bag at the very end was a nice touch.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What if, now barebear with me here. What if they were just witches and were upset because 1 of them turned out to be an rear end in a top hat? Why does there have to be some underlining message here?

The message is unclear as far as I can tell, but it's clearly based on something, some current event(s). It's not just a random "witch hunt" episode with no relation to anything else.

clown shoes posted:

Yeah I'm guessing maybe she ends up with Kyle, and actually appreciated by him, and pissing Cartman off even more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I could see Heidi dumping Cartman, which would make him happy. But then she dates one of the other boys, maybe Kenny, and is still around all the time anyway.

No, she dumped him and then he did the whole "threaten suicide" thing to get her back. Cartman wants to be with her even though it makes him miserable, and he's a lovely person blaming her for it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

No, she dumped him and then he did the whole "threaten suicide" thing to get her back. Cartman wants to be with her even though it makes him miserable, and he's a lovely person blaming her for it.

No Cartman dumped her.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ChesterJT posted:

It doesn't have to be a stereotype of a whole gender. Heidi is annoying to Cartman.

But every woman would be annoying to Cartman. There really isn't anything deeper here than Cartman being a monster as usual.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This probably wasn't quite as good as the previous episode but still quite fun. I think while they were poking fun at Heidi, the real target was Cartman's terrible (and also quite stereotypical) behavior. He could've just said that they need to be there at a particular time to get the pumpkin but because he's a little bitch he just remains a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat and does nothing.

Also the cool thing about witch pursuit... thing is that you can apply it to anything you want, e.g.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

But every woman would be annoying to Cartman.

I don't think that's true at all. The things Heidi does annoys the hell out of him. It would annoy me too. Not every girl is Heidi.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ChesterJT posted:

I don't think that's true at all. The things Heidi does annoys the hell out of him. It would annoy me too. Not every girl is Heidi.

lol what. What has Heidi done beyond taking forever getting ready

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

lol what. What has Heidi done beyond taking forever getting ready

Also, Heidi literally tells him how much time she needs to get ready. She is not the one with poor time management skills here.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

21 Muns posted:

Also, Heidi literally tells him how much time she needs to get ready. She is not the one with poor time management skills here.

The running joke was that she was constantly saying she was ready and then oops one more thing! for half an hour. It's like you're not even watching the show.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ChesterJT posted:

The running joke was that she was constantly saying she was ready and then oops one more thing! for half an hour. It's like you're not even watching the show.

Cartman tells her what time he wants to go somewhere and she tells him she'll be there thirty minutes earlier so she can get ready.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Cartman tells her what time he wants to go somewhere and she tells him she'll be there thirty minutes earlier so she can get ready.

No, she consistently underestimated her time requirements; "oh, should I wear a hoodie?" "should I go with the spider or the bat?" "oops I forgot my bracelet!" Things that you forget and subsequently remember are by definition not in your original time budget (unless you somehow knew exactly what you were going to forget & remember and budgeted for them.)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

21 Muns posted:

You took the time to bold that but not even read it. Remember how he wanted to be at the pumpkin patch early and instead got there very late? That was not part of the plan obviously. I'm not even sure you saw the last episode.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

21 Muns posted:

But then they were still late and had to take the shortcut through the woods.

(I used bold italics underline to make my point stand out)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not to mention the bit at the end where she was taking forever to get around to exiting the witch's magic bag.

I think everyone knows someone exactly like this.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's almost like this is a cartoon, she's not a real person, and this was a gag invented specifically for this episode. I'd be surprised if we even saw it again. The point is that Cartman has fixated on a single aspect of her personality that he can't stand and is willing to kill her before he breaks up with her over it. She even gives him the opportunity to talk about it like an adult but since he's an immature little poo poo he refuses.

Yes, there are people like that in real life, but you find ways to deal with it rather than plot to have them murdered or sacrificed. Relationships are give and take and if this is her only negative characteristic, then it's hardly worth the scorn Cartman gives her for.

Ultimately all Cartman wanted was to go to the pumpkin patch so he could get the best pumpkin. He didn't really care about spending time with her at all. She could have done anything and it would have pissed him off.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

She even gives him the opportunity to talk about it like an adult but since he's an immature little poo poo he refuses.

They're children, and as you pointed out, in a cartoon.

I thought Rick and Morty fans were ate up but yikes

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ChesterJT posted:

This has to be the first time I've seen someone use "the characters on South Park are children" as unironic justification for their lovely behavior. The show is satire and derives, or initially derived, its humor from the fact that it puts children in completely absurd situations. Despite this, they're portrayed as the voice of reason on the show, save Cartman. Cartman is and always has been the show's main source of hatred and vitriol. I wouldn't dismiss his antisemitism just because he's a kid. I wouldn't downplay the fact that he tried to use suicide threats to manipulate people just because he's a kid.

It seems weird to me that you guys are so invested in Cartman being justified in hating this one particular little girl. Like seriously, before he came up with his witch abduction-for-sacrifice scheme, he had plotted to ambush her in an abandoned department store and murder her. Because of a stereotypical relationship problem. And you guys are sympathizing with him, yikes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Especially since their entire relationship is based on Cartman being a disingenuous shitheel. He has always used Heidi as a prop to demonstrate what a better person he is than everybody else. He's just losing that mask in a major way.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Season 16 has a really weird tone.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ChesterJT posted:

The South Park thread in TV IV gets pretty drat amusing at times. "What did they really mean when they killed kenny all those times?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RatHat posted:

Season 16 has a really weird tone.

I know I watched all of it, but looking back at the episode titles and descriptions, there's so much I don't remember. Half the episodes I can vaguely remember thinking were okay, the other half I would almost think I didn't see at all, except I know I did.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Heidi is annoying. Cartman's reaction to that is hilarious. Cartman plotting her murder is over the top but in character with the lovely child in a cartoon he is. Hope this helps.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ChesterJT posted:

Heidi is annoying. Cartman's reaction to that is hilarious. Cartman plotting her murder is over the top but in character with the lovely child in a cartoon he is. Hope this helps.

Heidi's character is annoying because of a gag invented for the episode. She annoyed Cartman well before this shocking "reveal". You're trying to project on this show.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wasn't the whole point of Heidi, in the first place, a reaction to Ghostbusters 2016 promotional BS?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heidi is pretty much an extension of Cartman's new performative wokeness as a woman he can constantly praise and kowtow to, of course he's going to start burning up with rage when the fad wears off and he's stuck in a relationship where he's been pretending to be something he's not.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Inescapable Duck posted:

Heidi is pretty much an extension of Cartman's new performative wokeness as a woman he can constantly praise and kowtow to, of course he's going to start burning up with rage when the fad wears off and he's stuck in a relationship where he's been pretending to be something he's not.

Pretty much. It doesn't really matter at all what Heidi is like. As soon as she paid attention to Butters, Cartman hated her.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Butters knows how to treat the ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Heidi's character is annoying because of a gag invented for the episode. She annoyed Cartman well before this shocking "reveal". You're trying to project on this show.

lighten up Francis

• Locked thread