Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

I have a reg question for the reg pros:

For about a year, I’d been flying part 91 in a Citation with a captain that has a PIC single-pilot add-on, technically meaning he can fly the airplane single pilot, even though we don’t do it as a company. All I had for the year was an SIC type, but I did have the SIC type the whole time.

Technically speaking, can I log the year’s time as SIC time? Or even total flight time? I’m starting to tally my time because I’m very close to my ATP, and while reading the regs I started getting nervous that this might come up while looking at the time requirements, because the regs say I can log SIC time as time where a second crew member was required, and I very technically was not, outside of company policy and insurance requirements.

(FAR)

(From the TCDS)

Basic question is: even though he has a single pilot add-on for a plane that can be crew or SP, can he elect to legally fly it as a crew? I’m assuming I’m good but I want to know for certain before I start scheduling training.

You should be OK logging this as SIC, but when you get close to the PIC mins at random airlines avoid the impulse to log sole-manipulator CJ time flown as PIC. The airlines are REALLY anal about pt 1 vs pt 61 PIC time and any of the logbook checkers at SWA or United will ferret this out in a New York minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well gently caress, there was another fatal crash at the airport I train out of.

It's a lovely reminder that this is not an incredibly safe hobby/profession until you have a proper amount of experience. Mind you, on the other hand, people die driving cars every day too and we all do that without a second thought.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Man, what a flight yesterday. Doing a 10 day long charter for a hockey team in a nice 767 owned by a well known billionaire. Except that its an older model and has some quirks.

2.5hr flight. On take-off we get a R ENG BLEED failure indication, then the automation decides to go HAL9000 and just not do anything we wanted to do. So while I am flying an RNAV departure on raw data, the captain is trying to communicate with ATC and then deal with the EICAS problem. After 20,000ft the automation unscrewed itself after switching modes and autopilots lke crazy. We continue the flight with the right engine bleed valve closed, which means only one PACK. Fine.

One hour into a smooth clear day flight, as we are eating the best catering I've ever had, we hit moderate to near severed mountain wave turbulence just east of BZN. No warning. We were the first aircraft to get it. The autopilot did a great job not disconnecting, but I had to toss my food aside just to get a grip of the controls. Plane was being tossed around so bad that the captain had a hard time adjusting the speed knob. And of course the flight attendants are doing their full service, so they and their food carts go zero G. Supposedly one of them made it all the way up to the ceiling. There was broken glass, food, bags, clothes, etc everywhere. They were lucky they only suffered few sprained ankles and emotional trauma. These were the young, fit flight attendants that they use for charters. I can't imagine how our elderly, overweight FA's that they use for other kinds of PAX flights would have fared.

After handling that we pressed on to our destination, where 35-40kt winds waited for us. Luckily they were only 20 degrees off the runway centerline. Great landing by yours truly. Felt like a 7 hour flight.

I can't imagine how a smaller plane would have gone through that clear air turbulence. In my 10 years of flying professionally I've been through some rough chop but this was nuts, a B767 getting tossed around as if it were a Cessna.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Animal posted:

Man, what a flight yesterday. Doing a 10 day long charter for a hockey team in a nice 767 owned by a well known billionaire. Except that its an older model and has some quirks.

2.5hr flight. On take-off we get a R ENG BLEED failure indication, then the automation decides to go HAL9000 and just not do anything we wanted to do. So while I am flying an RNAV departure on raw data, the captain is trying to communicate with ATC and then deal with the EICAS problem. After 20,000ft the automation unscrewed itself after switching modes and autopilots lke crazy. We continue the flight with the right engine bleed valve closed, which means only one PACK. Fine.

One hour into a smooth clear day flight, as we are eating the best catering I've ever had, we hit moderate to near severed mountain wave turbulence just east of BZN. No warning. We were the first aircraft to get it. The autopilot did a great job not disconnecting, but I had to toss my food aside just to get a grip of the controls. Plane was being tossed around so bad that the captain had a hard time adjusting the speed knob. And of course the flight attendants are doing their full service, so they and their food carts go zero G. Supposedly one of them made it all the way up to the ceiling. There was broken glass, food, bags, clothes, etc everywhere. They were lucky they only suffered few sprained ankles and emotional trauma. These were the young, fit flight attendants that they use for charters. I can't imagine how our elderly, overweight FA's that they use for other kinds of PAX flights would have fared.

After handling that we pressed on to our destination, where 35-40kt winds waited for us. Luckily they were only 20 degrees off the runway centerline. Great landing by yours truly. Felt like a 7 hour flight.

I can't imagine how a smaller plane would have gone through that clear air turbulence. In my 10 years of flying professionally I've been through some rough chop but this was nuts, a B767 getting tossed around as if it were a Cessna.

Whoa, scary. That's mother nature for you. At the end the the day, you're just a tiny aluminum can barreling through the atmosphere at a few hundred knots; she'll do what she wants to you.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, go ahead and add "Naval Aviator" to my name on the list, willya? Carrier qualified on the Lincoln yesterday.

Guess I oughta start looking into taking the tests to get my FAA instrument and commercial soon.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

overdesigned posted:

Hey, go ahead and add "Naval Aviator" to my name on the list, willya? Carrier qualified on the Lincoln yesterday.

Guess I oughta start looking into taking the tests to get my FAA instrument and commercial soon.

Nice. What aircraft?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I qual'd in the T-45, I should find out what kind of fast gray jet I'll fly next week sometime.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Do you get any agency in the selection or are you entirely at the whims of fate?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
You get to submit a list of preferences that may or may not be taken into account. The process is fairly inscrutable from my end.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Animal posted:

My CFI and I got the poo poo kicked out of us descending into and climbing out of Bloomington, Indiana in a 172SP on my instrument cross country on one of those days where it was clear, sunny, windy, and you knew there was a fairly good chance you were going to hate life. Weirdest thing was we got to 5000 feet on the climb and it went totally calm.

I can only imagine what it was like in a 767.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I forgot to mention, it happened at FL360. I didn't think mountain wave went that high.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I forgot to mention, it happened at FL360. I didn't think mountain wave went that high.

It absolutely does, especially this time of year when the polar jet moves south.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

vessbot posted:

Already happened. Commanded by Two Kings and... Fist Officered, by yours truly.

Wait don't you work here too? on the E175? :raise:

Meanwhile I'll probably disappear for a couple weeks, apparently the company decided to cut two days of ground school and replace it with extra Computer Based Training modules that all have to be completed before the first day of upgrade class. Oh, and they want a new medical before class since mine expires in December. :suicide:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

overdesigned posted:

Nice! Glad you got your medical thing sorted.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Butt Reactor posted:

Nope. Endeavor.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 20, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’ll be on a long Vancouver layover. Hoping we make another meet. Pilot meets LOL half of them will call out (unless mainline recruiters will be there)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there any date set for the FAA Reauthorization Bill vote?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Meanwhile I'll probably disappear for a couple weeks, apparently the company decided to cut two days of ground school and replace it with extra Computer Based Training modules that all have to be completed before the first day of upgrade class. Oh, and they want a new medical before class since mine expires in December. :suicide:

We tried that several months back (although I think we cut more than two days off), and have since decided it was a stupid idea (it was leaving new people with some interesting knowledge gaps), and are now in the process of scaling back the CBT for more ground school.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

Sorry guys, won't make the NYC goon meet. I got a trip on Saturday.

Will be in the long island city alewife later. Next up is GOI on 27 November.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

overdesigned posted:

Congrats man! What are you putting in for? and what is everyone getting these days?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I asked for Harriers, and while I wouldn't say it's a Harrier *draft* they're definitely picking more of them than they are Hornet guys. F-35 is still mostly a non-issue at this point but supposedly in the coming months it'll grow.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
All else being equal, is there a benefit to going to a flight school at a big airport over a small one, or vise versa? It seems like a small airport could be more convenient? The big airport in this case being RDU, so it's not big big but still fairly busy. But it's all of 10 minutes away from me, and the next option is closer to 40.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Going to a big airport will familiarize you in a practical sense with stuff you wouldn’t get at an airport in the boonies, like ops in Class C airspace, wake turbulence avoidance, and such.

The quality of the flight school makes a much bigger difference, imo. Better a good school at a tiny field than a shitshow at RDU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I did a lot of my training in C, D, and B airspace and it definitely helps with talking to ATC and being in “busy” airspace. When I moved to upstate NY though, I found myself really weak on untowered operation and then you forget to close your IFR flight plan and Boston Center goes calling the FBO and then they have to tell you and it’s embarrassing. Really insist you get a healthy dose of untowered ops to help round out your training. You never know where you’ll end up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

All else being equal, is there a benefit to going to a flight school at a big airport over a small one, or vise versa? It seems like a small airport could be more convenient? The big airport in this case being RDU, so it's not big big but still fairly busy. But it's all of 10 minutes away from me, and the next option is closer to 40.

I liked doing Private training at DAY because it gave me experience right out of the gate with a towered airport (even with heavies at that time as you'll get at RDU- express.net was running A300s at DAY when I started) and controlled airspace. I'd imagine learning comms at a towered airport before transitioning to CTAF is easier than doing it the other way around if you're inexperienced (or at least that's how I found it- YMMV). You'll still probably get lots of experience with non-towered airports during Private.

At the end of the day though, the quality of the school is more important. If the closer school is flying airplanes which haven't had any TLC since they rolled out of the factory, the alternate might be worthwhile. Nothing like going out to do a DME Arc only to find the DME readout is unintelligible, the CFI knows, and nobody's done a drat thing about it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd go for the smaller one, but I never had an issue with talking to ATC (instructor was great with teaching that). I think learning on a narrower runway will be beneficial, looks like everything at RDU is 100ft+, it may leave you a little squeamish on a more "normal" GA runway at 50ft. I learned on 3000x75, I'm sure the guys at the school up the road with 2400x40 have better approach habits than me, centerline discipline gets really important...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If you can find a sleepy class c airport, that will do wonders for your training. I did all of my initial training out of COS and you don’t really realize how helpful talking to clearance and ground and dep/apch every flight from day one is until you see someone who hasn’t trying to make the transition.

It is a balance though. If you end up at too busy of an airport it will slow your training because there will just be too much going on.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

sanchez posted:

I learned on 3000x75, I'm sure the guys at the school up the road with 2400x40 have better approach habits than me, centerline discipline gets really important...

I did my baby flying in Reno which has 2x 9000x150 runways, and I really liked having that leeway as I was figuring out my centerline discipline (because I was loving horrible at it at first). Whatever works for you.

e.pilot posted:

If you can find a sleepy class c airport, that will do wonders for your training. I did all of my initial training out of COS and you don’t really realize how helpful talking to clearance and ground and dep/apch every flight from day one is until you see someone who hasn’t trying to make the transition.

this as well, if you are forced to learn at a class C and have to talk to approach/get a squawk/get ATIS every flight, you don't have to learn it later, which is nice. It owned to hear PPLs unfamiliar with Class C ops get pissy walkthroughs from CLC/DEL and Ground, and owned twice as much when the controllers didn't have issues with you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

a patagonian cavy posted:

Going to a big airport will familiarize you in a practical sense with stuff you wouldn’t get at an airport in the boonies, like ops in Class C airspace, wake turbulence avoidance, and such.

The quality of the flight school makes a much bigger difference, imo. Better a good school at a tiny field than a shitshow at RDU

Hey man I take offense to that. I worked at a shitshow at RDU.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Rolo posted:

i went to a flight school where I was the first person to actually look at the maintenance records in at least 2 months, because the annual was 2 months out of date

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Thanks guys. Anything I should look for in determining if a school's got it's poo poo together?

Rolo posted:

Can you name names to avoid?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One thing to remember is that, if you're at a big or busy airport, you will spend more time on the ground so you'll spend a bit more money for the same amount of airtime. On the other hand, you can get straight in approaches instead of having to deal with uncontrolled airport procedures ever time, so that saves time.

I think it's probably worth it. I'm glad I have the experience of flying out of a busy airport, I just wish I had a bit more experience in dealing with more varied air traffic. My airport is controlled and busy, but the largest thing you'll see is a PC-12 or a small business jet.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The ideal scenario is to go to a good school in a small-ish airport that's near large airports. That way you don't spend half your block time taxiing but you get the airspace experience.
I did my training in KISM instead of KORL and it was great, short taxii's, next to P-51's and Spitfires.

Except that I had to endure living in central FL, but that trauma is in the past now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sanchez posted:

I learned on 3000x75, I'm sure the guys at the school up the road with 2400x40 have better approach habits than me, centerline discipline gets really important...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNSQytGrao

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Training at CYAV was ideal for this. Towered low traffic E airport just under a C (almost like a US C airport under a B) with a huge practice area and tons of both controlled and uncontrolled airspace to do whatever you need to do.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dupersaurus posted:

Thanks guys. Anything I should look for in determining if a school's got it's poo poo together?

Can you name names to avoid?

The one I worked for was actually fine as far as flight schools go. I just wanted to be a smartass.

It’s been years since I’ve been familiar with RDU schools, so the only name I know to avoid for certain is ATP because I will never recommend them. It was a while ago but I did like both BlueLine and FlightGest. I had friends at both and they were really good instructors in good planes. Of course that can change in no time, so don’t take either as a current endorsement.

a patagonian cavy posted:

i went to a flight school where I was the first person to actually look at the maintenance records in at least 2 months, because the annual was 2 months out of date

At RDU? Mind naming it?

I agree with the general consensus of private vs. controlled airports for training having both pros and cons. I’ve trained at both and I’ve been trained at both. If you have the extra cash for taxi and sequencing, I recommend controlled in a nice class C. You’ll get drat good at radios and airspace that much faster. Fly out to a small airport, do pattern work, fly back and shoot an approach. RDU was nice because it had so many great airports like JNX and TTA that were a stone’s throw away.

Uncontrolled is nice because it’s basically fire-up-and-go. You’ll probably save money but I feel like the extra comm work in controlled spaces prepares you more for your instrument training. You don’t want to be learning approaches when you aren’t 100% on your radio game yet, it just adds unnecessary stress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rolo posted:

You’ll probably save money but I feel like the extra comm work in controlled spaces prepares you more for your instrument training. You don’t want to be learning approaches when you aren’t 100% on your radio game yet, it just adds unnecessary stress.

Yeah, instrument is difficult enough when you're already really comfortable flying within a busy airspace. I just got done my second actual IFR flight and comms are definitely one of the trickiest parts to get right, even though I feel 100% confident on the radio flying VFR. On the first flight, even my instructor was loving up clearances...

Now the weather's gone to poo poo and I probably won't be able to fly for the rest of the week at least, so I'll be rusty when I get up in the air again.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

overdesigned posted:

I asked for Harriers, and while I wouldn't say it's a Harrier *draft* they're definitely picking more of them than they are Hornet guys. F-35 is still mostly a non-issue at this point but supposedly in the coming months it'll grow.

Nice! Good luck! I hope you get the station you want. You have so many wonderful choices!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I'd argue to train where you're going to fly, and if one airport is 10 min away and the other 30, I'd probably lean towards the 10-min drive as long as the schools/rental setups seem comparable in quality and price.