Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Klisejo posted:

I really wish I could use my pro controller for Odyssey without completely gimping myself.

I’ve used the pro for the entire time and haven’t had any issues. What do you think you’ll miss out on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dizz posted:

I need to get back to doing that, but re-doing the interactive map for the seeds i already have is gonna loving SUCK since I had like 650 last time i remembered.

Mario Question: Is there a way to find out which purple coins you've missed? Most places I am missing like 6-9 coins and it's frustrating

The Bowser amiibo will give you hints for purple coins, don't think there is any other way to highlight them.

I wasn't thinking i would 100% this seeing as I still haven't finished all Korok seeds in BOTW, but I haven't even started the post game and I already have almost 500 moons so I will probably not be too far off the mark by the time I finish.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop (all releases Nov 2, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EDT/9am PDT for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Art of Fighting 3 - $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
ART OF FIGHTING 3 is a fighting game released by SNK in 1996. As a side story in the ART OF FIGHTING series, it portrays the drama and battles of the various fighters. With the Ultimate KO system and other mechanics, it makes a stake in a new frontier of 2D fighting games.

Cartoon Network Battle Crashers - $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (Oct 31)
Retail / Digital - [NA] [EU]
When Uncle Grandpa accidentally drives the UG-RV through multiple dimensions, he picks up some surprise passengers in the form of Gumball, Steven Universe, Finn, Mordecai and Clarence! Now they'll have to band together to defeat the evil shard creatures and set things right.

Chess Ultra - $ ? / £9.99 / €12.49
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Chess Ultra features stunning visuals, seamless online* multiplayer and Grandmaster-approved AI to offer the ultimate chess experience.Explore an array of intricately crafted environments and choose from a selection of iconic chess sets designed with both the modern and traditional chess player in mind. Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran of the great game, Chess Ultra has something to offer for players of all ages and ability.

King Oddball - $4.99 / £3.99 / €4.99 (Oct 30)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Blow up tanks! Crash helicopters! Squash puny humans! Collapse structures! Hurl boulders until nothing remains! End the world! The King swings a boulder back and forth with his tongue and you get to release it by pressing a button. Time the release accurately and crush as many targets as possible with each boulder. Simple but addictive!

Monster Jam: Crush It! - $39.99 / £35.99 / €39.99 (Oct 31)
Crush It! takes fans back into authentic real-life stadiums for racing and freestyle events including the site of Monster Jam World Finals – Sam Boyd Stadium. Choose your favorite official Monster Jam trucks such as Grave Digger®, Max-D™, Monster Mutt and many more. Take your favorite Monster Truck out of the stadium and into all new environment challenges. Exciting physic based challenges include skills, hill jump and stunt modes. All-new tracks that will test your skills to master speed and balance over insane jumps and obstacles or face ultimate destruction. Compete as a single player, or log into online leaderboards to earn bragging rights as the best Monster Jam truck driver and much, much more…

Monopoly For Nintendo Switch - $39.99 / £29.99 / €39.99 (Oct 31)
Experience three unique 3D boards at home or on-the-go with up to six players in total, or take your game online and challenge players in quick matches. Customize your game by selecting from six official House Rules chosen by MONOPOLY® fans around the world. Don't have time for a full game? Speed it up with Special Goals that shorten play sessions, and Actions Cards to move you around the board and penalize your opponents. Build your empire and trade your way to victory!

Morphite - $14.99 / £13.49 / €14.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Set in a distant future where humanity has colonised the far reaches of space, Morphite follows the story of Myrah Kale, a young woman whose life takes a sudden turn when a simple mission develops into an epic interstellar journey revealing her mysterious past and relation to a coveted substance called Morphite.

Perception - $14.99 / £12.99 / €13.99 (Oct 31)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Perception is a tense psychological thriller where players must uncover the mysteries of a sinister estate with echolocation as their only sight. Creating sound illuminates your environment, but also agitates the house and the entities within. Use Cassie’s Delphi text-to-speech app along with her intuition to uncover the mansion’s history. Each time a mystery is solved, the mansion transforms to reflect the fate of a different generation and the torment they endured.

Sparkle 2 EVO - $4.49 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Control the evolution! Climb your way through the evolutional ladder. Start as a little organism and transform into a magnificent aquatic being. Explore the abyss in search of nutritional elements. Attack other species whenever you run out of other food sources. Enjoy beautiful surreal visuals and relax with minimalistic ambient soundtrack.

Wheels of Aurelia - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Embark on an immersive road trip through the gritty western coast of Italy during the roaring 1970's. Playing as Lella, a bold, spunky woman, experience the sights and sounds of a tumultuous time in Italy's history while uncovering events from Lella's storied past. Take the road less traveled, while meeting an unpredictable cast of dynamic characters along your journey and making detours along the way.

Has anyone played Perception? It's on Steam/PS4/Xbone already. It sounds kind of interesting.

CN: Battle Crashers may not be releasing until 14 November in EU, although that could just be the retail version. It's listed as today on NOE's site though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Character profiles for Gal Metal

The Protagonist and Rinko Hoshino

– Drummer
– The male protagonist was fused with the female high school student Rinko Hoshino, and now their spirits co-exist
– Rinko has considerable drumming technique, and uses Spartan education methods to teach the protagonist

Kia Bansui

– Synth
– She is a shut-in otaku whose hobbies consist of online games and web browsing
– Believes in the existence of UFOs and aliens
– Hacked the FBI in order to investigate the Roswell incident (according to her)
– She has a wealth of knowledge in regards to sci-fi and the occult

Mani Kurobarain

– Bassist
– The daughter of the Kurobarain Group
– Raised in a strict household
– Loves horror movies and goes to the movie theater often
– She becomes more self-assertive after meeting the Metal Club

Shiimi Shindori

– Lead guitarist
– Can be described as a delinquent
– She is without a father, but has a younger brother who she often takes care of because her mother is busy
– She is surprisingly good at cooking and the like
– Her guitar was left behind by her father and even now still sleeps beside her

Erii Kurofuto

– Rhythm guitarist
– Shy and has social anxiety
– Usually wears glasses, but since she removes them during concerts, she can barely see
– She is OK to play concerts in public when she cannot see
– Her entire family is fat, but she is the only skinny one

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pug Rodeo posted:

I’ve used the pro for the entire time and haven’t had any issues. What do you think you’ll miss out on?

I used the pro controller the entire time as well. There's nothing you can do with the joy-cons that you can't do with the pro controller.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If anything using the joycons are gimping..

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finishing up Mario. Better than 3D World, worse than Galaxy 2. It's way short, and less challenging but still fun.

BoTW definitely has it clenched for best Switch title this year, unless XC2 manages to be excellent, but I have low hopes at this point based on what we've seen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Every new Blade they reveal makes me more excited for Xenoblade

These character designs are looking more and more like PSO2 characters. :psyduck:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Every new Blade they reveal makes me more excited for Xenoblade

Everything that I have seen for that game makes the combat look a lot like an MMO. Is that just standard Xenoblade? Or is there something that I am missing? The world design looks really cool, but the gameplay(and voice acting in the trailer, to a lesser degree) are convincing me that it is not a game for me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The gameplay is often very much like a single player mmo, yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Finishing up Mario. Better than 3D World, worse than Galaxy 2. It's way short, and less challenging but still fun.

It has 836 moons, how is it short?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

That's an oddly specific number.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's the number of electoral votes you need to become Japanese prime minister.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Andrast posted:

It has 836 moons, how is it short?

And these post game moons are way more fun to get than the normal ones. The two that I got in the forest by doing weird jump combos because I didn't know that the gliding guy existed were the two most satisfying moons in the game so far. What I am saying is make your own rules, kids.

Basically think of each moon as its own minigame

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's the number of electoral votes you need to become Japanese prime minister.

It's probably why Bowser took over Japan in Odyssey.

Birdo would've won.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Xenoblade 2, are all of the combat videos online still from the demo/showcase version? I know that the HP of enemies was initially bloated so combat could be explained in one go. If there are gameplay videos of trash enemies that don't take forever to kill, I would like to see it. If enemies are that much of a sponge (apart from bosses or unique monsters) in the final version I'll probably pass on picking it up.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Everything that I have seen for that game makes the combat look a lot like an MMO. Is that just standard Xenoblade? Or is there something that I am missing? The world design looks really cool, but the gameplay(and voice acting in the trailer, to a lesser degree) are convincing me that it is not a game for me

Yup, XB gameplay is vaguely mmo-ish where your base attacks are auto-attacks, and you selectively use abilities that are on cooldowns. XB2 is a bit different, because your initial skill bars fill up by auto-attacks instead of timers, and other skills build up from using those initial skills, but it overall looks like it has the same feel as the other XB games's combat.

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Xenoblade 2, are all of the combat videos online still from the demo/showcase version? I know that the HP of enemies was initially bloated so combat could be explained in one go. If there are gameplay videos of trash enemies that don't take forever to kill, I would like to see it. If enemies are that much of a sponge (apart from bosses or unique monsters) in the final version I'll probably pass on picking it up.

I mean, in the E3 video, they showed us a fight where he killed a spider in 23 seconds solo, which isn't weird for a JRPG. Later on, they kill a bunny with a full party in around 10 seconds. It's only later on as they are fighting higher level enemies that are stronger that things get longer, around 30 seconds to a minute. Which, again, isn't that long for a JRPG.

XB gameplay isn't something I'd call fast, but it's also not that slow unless you aren't using your abilities and stuff right, something that we won't know for sure from looking at these stage demos.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm trying to look up how to make a character look a certain way in Skyrim but I'm having trouble cause I don't know what to look for.

Every WWE game you just search CAW and you get hundreds of builds for how to make them look a certain way but if I search for a Skyrim character build it just referred to like, what skills to train.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No you don't hold y to extend the throw, you press z and y to dive, you have to hold y when you dive or you won't bounce.

Yeah, I realized that after I'd posted: turns out I just have slow fingers. Probably has something to do with mostly playing post-alarm-clock pre-verticality.

Mahoning posted:

Press "down" on the left stick. The reason I say "down" and not down is because it of course all depends on where the camera is at the time.

Ah, thanks. I'd been pressing down-down enough times that I assumed it wasn't the right button.

My only gripe with this game, which is pretty minor but stands out after the respectfulness of Zelda, is how heavy-handed they are with tutorializing you. I don't need to see the same cutscene every time I improve my ship and while you can press + a few times to skip a few of the cutscenes, they're going to try to tell you about a move you've already been using every time you change worlds. That's after the three or so dudes bringing up the action list, and the dozen videos showing how to shake controllers I'm not even holding separate from the console and have no intention to shake!

I know a lot of the delight in the game comes from its childlike sense of wonder (and Mario's babyfaced expressions) but it'd be nice if they also treated us like adults. Especially given their demographic statistics.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
The motion controls aren't the only way to do the whirling cap move. Get Mario into a twirl and throw the cap out.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KingSlime posted:

People are getting the end pretty quickly, which isn't a huge deal given the total content but it makes me wonder: is it disappointing to have seen all the variety of environments roughly 25 percent into the total experience?

I just hit new donk city and hear I am halfway there already!

I beat the game somewhere between the 10-12 hour mark, and have so far collected just over 300 moons at 20+ hours of playtime.

I actually prefer the way they've structured things. The "plot" is basically a 10-12 hour tour through all the game's worlds to get you acquainted with what the game has to offer, and then after that you get to spend the next 30+ hours picking out where you want to go and what you want to do at your own pace. It's the perfect way to handle a collection game like this. I'd much rather it be this way than having each world slooowly revealed one after the other over the course of 40 hours.

Also, another brilliant thing about this design is that it means there are hardly any worlds where everything is easy or worlds where everything is hard. Every world has a full range of easy on up through very difficult content, which means that the end-game doesn't revolve around you being stuck in one environment for too long, so no single world ever gets too stale.

And yeah I'm nowhere near done with it, content-wise or enthusiasm-wise. I'm still pumped for the next time I'll be able to sit down and play it.

kuf posted:

The motion controls aren't the only way to do the whirling cap move. Get Mario into a twirl and throw the cap out.

This basically doesn't count though because Nintendo somehow figured out a way to make the twirl even more obnoxious and less precise to do with the controller than with any motion control.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 31, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The main story of Odyssey takes about as long to work through as Mario 64, and the post-game moon collecting is way more interesting than collecting all 120 stars in 64 imo. And there's a lot more of it too.

Only way I can consider thinking Odyssey is "too short" is if you beat the story and then just shelve it, but that seems like something an insane person would do.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hammer Bro. posted:

My only gripe with this game, which is pretty minor but stands out after the respectfulness of Zelda, is how heavy-handed they are with tutorializing you. I don't need to see the same cutscene every time I improve my ship and while you can press + a few times to skip a few of the cutscenes, they're going to try to tell you about a move you've already been using every time you change worlds. That's after the three or so dudes bringing up the action list, and the dozen videos showing how to shake controllers I'm not even holding separate from the console and have no intention to shake!

I know a lot of the delight in the game comes from its childlike sense of wonder (and Mario's babyfaced expressions) but it'd be nice if they also treated us like adults. Especially given their demographic statistics.

Cappy reminding you of movement mechanics is just hiding a loading screen, if you skip the cutscene you just stare at a black screen instead. Zelda had gameplay tips in loading screens too, there were just far fewer loads considering the nature of the game.

On top of that, there is a lot of movement tech that they never tutorialize, or wait until the very end of the game to do so. The hat dive for example.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm trying to look up how to make a character look a certain way in Skyrim but I'm having trouble cause I don't know what to look for.

Every WWE game you just search CAW and you get hundreds of builds for how to make them look a certain way but if I search for a Skyrim character build it just referred to like, what skills to train.

Nevermind, missed the word "looks" and thought you meant a stat build.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 31, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it, I got all the moons in Odyssey

What a great game

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:stare:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:worship:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
poo poo dude, lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Why would you want to blow through such a wonderful game so quickly

why

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What was I supposed to do to draw it out??

I had a blast

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Guy Goodbody posted:

Character profiles for Gal Metal

This is just like my slice of life animes. Want.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The real question is, did you do it on your own or did you look stuff up?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I looked up the last 3 coins in Bowser's Kingdom because in total between main game and post game I spent like 3 hours looking for them (not always actively) and couldn't take it any more. They were on a lantern next to the giant Bowser head

Otherwise I did it on my own.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What was your final time?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You found every single moon on your own? drat dude, did you sleep at all this weekend?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Glad Night in the Woods is apparently coming to Switch. That game is right up my alley but I held off because it seems... Perfect on the Switch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What was your final time?

It doesn't show up or I don't know how to check it.

It didn't take all that long to do but maybe the fact that I stayed in each kingdom until I'd found everything available has something to do with it. I went through them carefully and methodically so when I came back for the postgame it went by really fast since there wasn't much else left to find. I liked doing it that way because I liked learning every nook and cranny of a level before moving on.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Upthread I posted that I would prefer they do a quick sequel rather than DLC. Now I just want them to make more of this delightful game and I don't care how.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I want DLC that makes the Dark Souls level into a full kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I want DLC that makes the Dark Souls level into a full kingdom.

Yes please

• Locked thread