Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Knowing someone who has suffered from PTSD and having conversations about flashbacks I find it believable that at first Will is reluctant to speak about his visions. From what I've been told (and its mentioned in the show) flashbacks are literally as intense as reliving the experience. As far as we know it isn't until a year later when he starts seeing the mind flayer, when he realizes that he's not just having flashbacks but is actually seeing into the Upside Down.

Plus he speaks pretty openly about what he is experiencing by the second episode or so, it's not like he was silent up until the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is neat, the Duffer Bros are doing episode-by-episode recaps on the production of Season 2. Good insights that answer questions we've raised, like:

quote:

Barb’s Role in Season Two

Matt: I’ve convinced myself that this was already a part of the season. It was already baked into it. We had about four weeks in, I think, before [season one] had come out, certainly before the whole Barb thing happened, where we were working on outlining season two. It was not supposed to be a story line that would last the entire season the way it did, but it was definitely going to be a big part of it, because it was one of those loose ends that we hadn’t really dealt with.

What it allowed for was a lot of really interesting character moments, and it allowed us to flesh out the Jonathan-Nancy stuff in a really nice way.

Those are old Shannon photos [in the scene at Barb’s parents’ house], I’m pretty sure. Those are from Shannon. We did do poses with her in season one. The rest of it is from Shannon’s real childhood.

Also the arcade is named after the arcade in War Games. And MBB's short hair in episode 2 was CGI!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been listening to IT on audiobook recently and it's crazy how much Stranger Things lifts from it. The kids may as well be the losers club (especially with Max as a Bev stand-in now), Mike is Bill, and the giant tentacle monster is (IT book spoilers) exactly what IT's true form is described as looking like

I mean, Stranger Things lifts whole-sale from pretty much all 80s media shamelessly, but in particular it's noticeable here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PantsBandit posted:

I've been listening to IT on audiobook recently and it's crazy how much Stranger Things lifts from it. The kids may as well be the losers club (especially with Max as a Bev stand-in now), Mike is Bill, and the giant tentacle monster is (IT book spoilers) exactly what IT's true form is described as looking like

I mean, Stranger Things lifts whole-sale from pretty much all 80s media shamelessly, but in particular it's noticeable here.

But I don't want a child orgy at the end of season 3 :(

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Well, next year in the show it’ll be 1985, and the top three movies that year were Back to the Future, The Breakfast Club, and The Goonies. Speculation? They’ve already nailed the Goonies aspect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I seriously don't get where the "insane Barb fanbase" thing is coming from. Literally the only times I've heard about it is from goons whining about it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Baronjutter posted:

But I don't want a child orgy at the end of season 3 :(

The correct term is to run a train.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I seriously don't get where the "insane Barb fanbase" thing is coming from. Literally the only times I've heard about it is from goons whining about it.

#justiceforbarb and so on was a pretty big thing right after season 1. The Duffer brothers even mention it in the interview posted a few post above.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Retardog posted:

Well, next year in the show it’ll be 1985, and the top three movies that year were Back to the Future, The Breakfast Club, and The Goonies. Speculation? They’ve already nailed the Goonies aspect.

5 Elevens from the future are captured and put in Hawkin's Lab detention for most of the season.

While they talk about their problems a retard crashes through the wall with a pirate ship.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Fister Roboto posted:

Twitter, comicons, etc, the most vocal fanbase. Not the most representative, necessarily, just the loudest.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You just know that creepy perverted private investigator went and rolled around in the dirty sheets the moment Nancy and Jonathan left.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Brett Gelman: Teenage Sex Facilitator sounds like a legit show that Gelman would write.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Fister Roboto posted:

Search "tumblr barb stranger things" and behold all of the fan art and memes. I think you'll find a lot of hand knit barb dolls

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Junkfist posted:

5 Elevens from the future are captured and put in Hawkin's Lab detention for most of the season.

While they talk about their problems a retard crashes through the wall with a pirate ship.

Sold

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Barb even has one of those ugly ads Funco dolls though to be fair literally everyone else does to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junkfist posted:

Turns out there were more psychic kids: a brain, a jock, and a princess to join weirdo eleven and burnout 8.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Penpal posted:

Search "tumblr barb stranger things" and behold all of the fan art and memes. I think you'll find a lot of hand knit barb dolls

Oh, OK.

Is that supposed to make me angry?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You just know that creepy perverted private investigator went and rolled around in the dirty sheets the moment Nancy and Jonathan left.

Sniffed the wet spot with egg still fresh on his beard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao the school dance was prob my favorite scene.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh, OK.

Is that supposed to make me angry?

.....no? My dude you just asked if the Barb meme train was real and I'm saying the internet provides. You can feel good about it if you want to see a bunch of Barb fan art, or feel bad about it if that's your jam

I remember going into work after the first season was blowing up, and after touching on all of the elements with a co-worker there would always be a point where someone would go "and Barb???" and you'd go "I know! RIP" because it was gruesome

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I’m not entirely sold that this group would care about the dance instead of ditching it to play dnd (or one of Bob’s games) in the AV room. Who is the rando that suddenly likes zombie boy? Where does the Nancy/Dustin thing come from?

Seemed like a good time to overcome the intergroup tensions and reunite but instead we get a first kiss montage, which is fine I guess but could’ve been better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most nerds still go to the school dance. nancy was being nice to dustin. it happens.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

i am the bird posted:

I’m not entirely sold that this group would care about the dance instead of ditching it to play dnd (or one of Bob’s games) in the AV room. Who is the rando that suddenly likes zombie boy? Where does the Nancy/Dustin thing come from?

Seemed like a good time to overcome the intergroup tensions and reunite but instead we get a first kiss montage, which is fine I guess but could’ve been better.

There's this thing called puberty.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The Barb Plot realistically would've ruined the school dance like it ruined everything else if it succeeded but it's very unrealistic that it would've succeeded in the first place it's very complex just how bad the Justice for Barb plot was.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
A lot of y’all are revealing your hang ups, and a lot of y’all are showing that as per usual TVIV posters are loving terrible at watching TV. See a therapist, and then see a psychiatrist for an Adderall prescription. Goddamn.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Penpal posted:

.....no? My dude you just asked if the Barb meme train was real and I'm saying the internet provides. You can feel good about it if you want to see a bunch of Barb fan art, or feel bad about it if that's your jam

I remember going into work after the first season was blowing up, and after touching on all of the elements with a co-worker there would always be a point where someone would go "and Barb???" and you'd go "I know! RIP" because it was gruesome

I mean I don't understand why goons seem so upset about it. Like people saying that it ruined the show.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

most nerds still go to the school dance. nancy was being nice to dustin. it happens.

Sure but like none of this poo poo is narratively earned. I’m not saying it’s unbelievable. I’d just like to see an earlier scene or two that makes later scenes have a good payoff — y’know, better storytelling. It’s still a really good show but sometimes they take shortcuts and it’s frustrating.

edit:
One of the running themes of season 2 is that of separation, and how people aren’t always there when you need them. It would’ve been nice to see a scene with the party reunited (along with El and Max) but instead it ends with everyone separated again. There’s a way to make that play as well but it’s not by lazily writing Will out of the scene (why is he no longer a pariah?) and making Dustin’s problems about other unnamed girls (as opposed to the actual dilemma of Max/Lucas).

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 31, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There was a popular girl crying at Wills funeral in Season 1. It's not hard to think that someone would ask him to dance.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I'm just glad Dustin learned the important lesson that treating girls badly and negging doesn't work and is the wrong way to go about things.

(At least until you've established social proof through a wingwoman's facade of pre-selection)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
idk if anyone else has realized this but Steve is the party's Barbarian and I love it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

i am the bird posted:

How are you so bad at watching TV?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

What do you mean?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There was a popular girl crying at Wills funeral in Season 1. It's not hard to think that someone would ask him to dance.

The entire season deals with how ostracized he is as zombie boy. All I’m asking for is some hint of a disruption in that narrative in order to get to the happy dance scene ending.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

sector_corrector posted:

If you have archives, check the Breaking Bad threads. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it in the non-spoiler (read: live viewing) threads for GoT as well. There’s a certain percentage of Goons that are incapable of sitting and paying attention to an episode, or just make up poo poo wholesale, to say nothing of the “well, here’s how I would have done it” which 99 out of 100 times is way more contrived and stupid than what actually happened.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The decorations at the school dance felt way too fancy and high budget for a small town middle school, or is that one of those things american school systems go all-out on like sports?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

zeal posted:

idk if anyone else has realized this but Steve is the party's Barbarian and I love it

yeah this rules and is totally in keeping haha

Baronjutter posted:

is that one of those things american school systems go all-out on like sports?

In the day? Yeah.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Can the correct way of watching TV be communicated to us through an examination of the Star Wars?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

If you have archives, check the Breaking Bad threads. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it in the non-spoiler (read: live viewing) threads for GoT as well. There’s a certain percentage of Goons that are incapable of sitting and paying attention to an episode, or just make up poo poo wholesale, to say nothing of the “well, here’s how I would have done it” which 99 out of 100 times is way more contrived and stupid than what actually happened.

And sometimes other goons are hypersensitive to any form of critique and immediately just assume the other poster is a mouthbreathing idiot.

There is a vast gulf of difference between the nerds critiquing itchy and scratchy, and wishing a show was a little tighter in its narrative themes.

I think the show is at its best when the party is together. The end scene explicitly splits them all up in a season about isolation, growing apart, ostracism, etc. I think it would’ve been better to end on a note of unity. I don’t think that’s such a wild idiotic idea but man, some of you are touchy.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The phrase "bad at watching tv" is just so ridiculous sounding I can't take it seriously.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/averymonsen/status/925456784243933187

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I thought it was a sweet touch when the presence is being literally burned out of Will, that Johnathon gets understandably overwhelmed and just turns and clings onto Nancy for dear life. He loves his little bro and just couldn't take it.

• Locked thread