Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dscruffy1 posted:

They mention in a tooltip during loading screens that Sebastian's stamina decreases faster while sprinting away from enemies, which kinda makes sense? I generally forget to use sprinting for going through the world because I'm afraid of making noise.

It drains faster, but you don't go faster (and it regens slower), which kinda sucks for fleeing from things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Lovin' your LP so far, but is it possible to convince you to turn off the cover prompts? They seem to be 98% useless, and at best just distracting while walking through all these atmospheric locations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, I suppose that case would have gone cold. Sinister self-incriminating statements made in newspaper articles aren't made under the Miranda warnings and aren't admissible in court.

That or dude was bribing hell of cops.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Misinformed statement.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I had trouble coming up with camera jokes.

18: A Fatal Frame/Polsy

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I kept feeling like you could've gone clockwise around city hall, there was an opening with a bit of fencing where there was a car blocking the way. Wasn't there a climb prompt for that one?

EDIT: Also I think the crossbow's just generally not for boss fights, or, at least, not running combat. It's your silent ambush weapon. Any time someone's not seeing you, it's great, if they know you're coming, bust out the firearms.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 30, 2017

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

I had trouble coming up with camera jokes.

18: A Fatal Frame/Polsy

It wasn't your best photo shoot. :colbert:

(Good "eye in the sky" joke, though.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

doesn't really cast Dscruffy in the best light.

edit: I've rewatched the video and Dscruffy you're being a bit too negative. All you need to do is focus a bit more.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 30, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jesus. You'd think this self-described artist could come up with more original names.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I feel like for a fight like that where it seemed to want you to hit the camera especially, the crossbow was not your best weapon. Shame you can't recover the regular bolts though.

I think the photographer there is trying to deliver Lily to... someone else? Who's going to... pay him more? I'm not sure where the photographer thinks he is.

I wonder if they're expecting you to get back to the first area at all. Are they going to introduce some kind of quick travel system?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Glazius posted:

I wonder if they're expecting you to get back to the first area at all. Are they going to introduce some kind of quick travel system?

Speaking of, the sky seems brighter. I wonder if that's introducing any changes to the open first area. Different enemies, more safe, anything at all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Glazius posted:

Who's going to... pay him more? I'm not sure where the photographer thinks he is.

I'm guessing he's at least somewhat aware he's in the STEM, and I'm also guessing he's not getting paid in money?

Does Mobius has some kind of competitor?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Obscura is certainly... a thing. :stare:

paragon1 posted:

I'm guessing he's at least somewhat aware he's in the STEM, and I'm also guessing he's not getting paid in money?
I'm thinking he's fully aware and intentionally snuck in. There was that LIES note found earlier scribbled on the back of what I want to say was a recruitment pamphlet?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Next time they should try to harder to screen psychopaths out of their shared reality where psychopaths become eldritch gods.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
The cat had a file for you, probably about Stefano.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's Halloween. :effort:

19: Sticky White Liquid/Polsy

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

You've missed a statue in the Marrow - it's in that dead end behind the chainlink fence, lying horizonally on the pipe above your head - you can see it here

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That is some dickish placement.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

After watching this I am beginning to suspect your suspension of disbelief with the proceedings is on the wane :roflolmao:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I could do with more LPs taking the piss out of the writing in their video games. It's cathartic.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I mean, that part about children being the next closest thing to psycopats does check out :colbert:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

double nine posted:

I could do with more LPs taking the piss out of the writing in their video games. It's cathartic.

It feels like Sebastian already does his part to take the piss out of the writing. :v:

I also have to admit the LP's got me tempted to pick up the game because it looks fun... but I'm just a bit worried about the length. Like... it feels a bit like events are already tumbling towards a head, but it's a game rolling at 60 bucks minimum. For that sort of price, it'd be a pretty short game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I don't think we're that close. According to howlongtobeat it's only a couple of hours shorter than the first game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PurpleXVI posted:

It feels like Sebastian already does his part to take the piss out of the writing. :v:

I also have to admit the LP's got me tempted to pick up the game because it looks fun... but I'm just a bit worried about the length. Like... it feels a bit like events are already tumbling towards a head, but it's a game rolling at 60 bucks minimum. For that sort of price, it'd be a pretty short game.

My first playthrough (on Survival) took me about 15 hours.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's at this point that we see Mobius is truly the Umbrella of mind control technology.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And just as competent too!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Aumanor posted:

You've missed a statue in the Marrow - it's in that dead end behind the chainlink fence, lying horizonally on the pipe above your head - you can see it here

Good spot. If I get a chance to head back that way I'll grab it. I've spotted a few tricky ones but I don't know how much the games lets you explore backwards past a certain point.

A Perfect Twist posted:

After watching this I am beginning to suspect your suspension of disbelief with the proceedings is on the wane :roflolmao:

I mean...they're trying. The game still has moments. This is just incredible stupid though.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Demon's souls got nothing on this sticky white stuff.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The idea of very young children and clinical psychopaths having mental traits in common actually has some grounding in psychology, iirc. Going by the conversation with Yukiko, it sounds like someone on the script writing team at least bothered to do some research.

But that line is still very silly.

So we know why Mobius has made this STEM. They wanted a stable platform that they could build on to get a wireless STEM signal going that will presumably envelope the whole world (or at least a very large area). They also mention that they have methods in place to keep real world Mobius personnel out of STEM (presumably so someone is still available to manipulate STEM from the outside?). This has the obvious problem of "how do you keep children and psychopaths from taking over once they're in the STEM", and I wonder if it'll ever be addressed.

I guess they'd also need personnel in the real world to go around and collect all the bodies and turn of the nuclear reactors and such.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

paragon1 posted:

The idea of very young children and clinical psychopaths having mental traits in common actually has some grounding in psychology, iirc. Going by the conversation with Yukiko, it sounds like someone on the script writing team at least bothered to do some research.

But that line is still very silly.

So we know why Mobius has made this STEM. They wanted a stable platform that they could build on to get a wireless STEM signal going that will presumably envelope the whole world (or at least a very large area). They also mention that they have methods in place to keep real world Mobius personnel out of STEM (presumably so someone is still available to manipulate STEM from the outside?). This has the obvious problem of "how do you keep children and psychopaths from taking over once they're in the STEM", and I wonder if it'll ever be addressed.

I guess they'd also need personnel in the real world to go around and collect all the bodies and turn of the nuclear reactors and such.

Imagine the boredom of 99% of the population living in a virtual reality and you have to be part of the 1% stuck in the decaying, empty outside world to keep it all running.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine the boredom of 99% of the population living in a virtual reality and you have to be part of the 1% stuck in the decaying, empty outside world to keep it all running.

Imagine having all that work wrecked by one really bad earthquake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You are all giving MOBIUS a heck of a lot of credit when it comes to forethought. These are the people that kidnapped an insane person and forced him to create the machine the entire population of the world would all live inside and then took apart his body and made him the control center for that machine. They are not a very forward-thinking group.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You are all giving MOBIUS a heck of a lot of credit when it comes to forethought. These are the people that kidnapped an insane person and forced him to create the machine the entire population of the world would all live inside and then took apart his body and made him the control center for that machine. They are not a very forward-thinking group.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and point out that :

a) Ruvik designed STEM before MOBIUS had any involvement with him. It's Jimenez's fault that they took notice of him at all.
b) We don't know wheter or not MOBIUS intended STEM to have global range from the start or if they changed their plans later.
c) Ruvik had modified the (at that point) only STEM in existence so that it would only work with him (or, to be more exact, his brain) as a core. He really didn't think that move through.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wasn't it heavily implied that the STEM effects also worked somewhat in the real world? Some TEW1 stuff under the tags here: Like I remember the Ruvik-possessed Leslie essentially teleporting at the end of The Evil Within 1, and wasn't Ruvik a ghost killing cops in the real world at the start of TEW1, too?

Maybe the plan is that once the entire world is enveloped in STEM, Mobius can use it to physically alter the real world, too, and not just the dream world? I'm honestly not sure, but it would make the whole plot make a lot more sense.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Wasn't it heavily implied that the STEM effects also worked somewhat in the real world? Some TEW1 stuff under the tags here: Like I remember the Ruvik-possessed Leslie essentially teleporting at the end of The Evil Within 1, and wasn't Ruvik a ghost killing cops in the real world at the start of TEW1, too?

Maybe the plan is that once the entire world is enveloped in STEM, Mobius can use it to physically alter the real world, too, and not just the dream world? I'm honestly not sure, but it would make the whole plot make a lot more sense.

I don't think we need to spoiler tag events from the first game. Regarding the second part of the spoilered text, I thought that the implication was that from the moment when the gang heard the signal in the car everything took place in STEM. How the gently caress they all ended up in those tubs was never explained.

And as for the first part, I think at that point they weren't yet sure whether or not they were going to make a sequel and the ending was meant to make you question whether or not Sebastian had actually managed to leave STEM or if the was still trapped in it. But that's just my interpretation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if that was supposed to be some kind of repair system.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is it just me or does team doctor lady kind of... suck? She seems thrown in as an obvious exposition lever in the story right now, her face model/hair interaction is weird as gently caress, and her voice actress sounds incredibly disinterested. Add to that the hand waving over her motivations and participation in a pretty gross crime and it she seems kind of contrived and possibly unnecessary.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Aumanor posted:

I don't think we need to spoiler tag events from the first game. Regarding the second part of the spoilered text, I thought that the implication was that from the moment when the gang heard the signal in the car everything took place in STEM. How the gently caress they all ended up in those tubs was never explained.

And as for the first part, I think at that point they weren't yet sure whether or not they were going to make a sequel and the ending was meant to make you question whether or not Sebastian had actually managed to leave STEM or if the was still trapped in it. But that's just my interpretation.

Spoilered just in case after some consideration

Maybe Ruvik managed to hypercharge the STEM such that it did the whole wireless thing Moebius was aiming for with this one. Then he... sleepwalked people to the tubs? I dunno.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The Beacon STEM explicitly had wireless capability that indiscriminately grabbed everyone in range.

As for the real world leap from driving into the STEM connection and being in the tubs, I'm thinking Mobius' agents were around to physically move them. They may not have had the capability to build their own complete STEM at the time, but Dr. Jiminez was passing them a lot of research notes, and that may have been enough for them to deploy those implant chips letting them stay awake within STEM's aoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Obligatum VII posted:

Spoilered just in case after some consideration

Maybe Ruvik managed to hypercharge the STEM such that it did the whole wireless thing Moebius was aiming for with this one. Then he... sleepwalked people to the tubs? I dunno.

If it's speculation, speculate away, don't worry about spoiler tags. I'm wondering it myself.

If it's wink wink nudge nudge, cut it out.

Scaramouche posted:

Is it just me or does team doctor lady kind of... suck? She seems thrown in as an obvious exposition lever in the story right now, her face model/hair interaction is weird as gently caress, and her voice actress sounds incredibly disinterested. Add to that the hand waving over her motivations and participation in a pretty gross crime and it she seems kind of contrived and possibly unnecessary.

All the people in Mobius kinda suck. They're involved in Mobius because of unspoken benefits for membership. Also for whoever was wondering about the stethoscope, she's also listed as team medic. So...eh?

• Locked thread