Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i know literally absolutely nothing about javascript and js related technologies like react

i get the ongoing impression that this is a good thing

javascript is okay for a certain range of problems and applications, but a lot of people don't have the sense to determine whether js is right for the thing they want to use it for

react is good, most other js related technologies are bad

it's probably good to have at least a basic understanding of it, since the web is everywhere and it's probably never going away. it's a huge pain to decipher which tools actually solve good problems and which ones are stupid pointless poo poo, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol its all the worst stuff together in one stack!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

javascript is okay for a certain range of problems and applications, but a lot of people don't have the sense to determine whether js is right for the thing they want to use it for

react is good, most other js related technologies are bad

it's probably good to have at least a basic understanding of it, since the web is everywhere and it's probably never going away. it's a huge pain to decipher which tools actually solve good problems and which ones are stupid pointless poo poo, though

javascript is suitable for:
opening a popup window
closing the popup window

that's about it.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

opening a popup window
closing the popup window

that's about it.

what about a button on my homepage that changes the background color?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unacceptable.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
i liked to add snow flakes in winter

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

a very small horse posted:

so a question i guess: every computer programmer person who's not an academic I know makes some sort of web service thing. so there are other things out there. working for a games company sounds hard and not that great by some accounts. so what else? embedded is a thing that sounds cool but what are my options if I don't want to be a web applications programmer for the next 10 years and how do I do that thing?

there's a lot of ETL work out there, but it's trendy to try and microservice it up too which means all the same garbage as webservices

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

GenJoe posted:

weird esoteric blow ups across different configurations do happen but when they do it's nice to know that you have a large enough community using your poo poo that there's a significant chance someone else has run into said blow-up and has found a solution before you waste time on it, there are a dozen different issues for that problem on google's first page for "docker npm update"

i mean it's literally the long term support release. and it doesn't work without a workaround that amounts to `don't use this ever`

how to reproduce:

install the node 6.x lts release, type `npm install npm@latest`

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 1, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

there's a lot of ETL work out there, but it's trendy to try and microservice it up too which means all the same garbage as webservices

ETL is a pretty good starting point for a dev career cause its important but conceptually easy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ETL can be a hugbox where the walls are made of comfortable db schema, or a hell pit of application based dynamic torment

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Shaggar posted:

ETL can be a hugbox where the walls are made of comfortable db schema, or a hell pit of application based dynamic torment

What do you mean by OR. It can be both at the same time depending on the job.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

i mean it's literally the long term support release. and it doesn't work without a workaround that amounts to `don't use this ever`

how to reproduce:

install the node 6.x lts release, type `npm install npm@latest`

npm is a separate thing from Node and the 6.x lts release, and while yes it would be really cool if we could live in a world where no software was broken ever, this is an issue that's limited to an (albeit popular) configuration, and it's extremely easy to find and implement the workaround for it -- if npm the org has any kind of restraint on developer resources then there are probably other things out there that are more attractive candidates for patching.

like there are a lot of things to gripe on re: npm but this particular one is an issue that just kind of happens in software sometimes. it's not a good look for npm but it's not something you can point to and go SEE JAVASCRIPT BAD

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

opening a popup window
closing the popup window

that's about it.

also posting stuff and injecting the rendered result into the page using partial views in .Net because that poo poo ruuuulleees

edit:and manipulating validation rules when you change poo poo on page to do dynamic validation

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also I might be literally satan here but I detest popups and instead use modals

if you open something you better do something with it, don't just ignore the popup and carry on doing whatever the gently caress.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

GenJoe posted:

npm is a separate thing from Node and the 6.x lts release, and while yes it would be really cool if we could live in a world where no software was broken ever, this is an issue that's limited to an (albeit popular) configuration, and it's extremely easy to find and implement the workaround for it -- if npm the org has any kind of restraint on developer resources then there are probably other things out there that are more attractive candidates for patching.

like there are a lot of things to gripe on re: npm but this particular one is an issue that just kind of happens in software sometimes. it's not a good look for npm but it's not something you can point to and go SEE JAVASCRIPT BAD

you're not listening. it's the npm bundled with the node lts release. it's not a separate thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"our package manager is unable to install this package"

"eh, no big deal. people should just use the workaround of installing a totally different package manager and using that instead."

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

its a good solution to npm problems though :v:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
is etl just "data comes from somewhere, gets transformed, then output somewhere else" with some bells and whistles?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it's a common kind of problem, but there's also absolutely no reason not to fix it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also I might be literally satan here but I detest popups and instead use modals

if you open something you better do something with it, don't just ignore the popup and carry on doing whatever the gently caress.

I don't like popups or modals but popups are all javascript was designed for.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

redleader posted:

is etl just "data comes from somewhere, gets transformed, then output somewhere else" with some bells and whistles?

yeah. you extract data from somewhere, transform it in some way, and then load it into some other thing

spark is a good starting point if you're interested in learning more

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

redleader posted:

yeah its extract, transform, load. irl its about taking the terrible garbage poo poo trash your client sends you and contorting it to suit your needs. its also about handling the many failures that will occur when the client sends the wrong data, sends invalid data, doesn't send data, or any of 100 other gently caress ups they'll explore.

when the client wants to know why X didn't happen because it was definitely on the file load, you are the one that gets to explain to them how it wasn't actually on the file load and heres the client's file that they sent that clearly doesn't have X on it.

but you get to use nice tools like SSIS which makes things easy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

someone complained about "bad data" in a file breaking their loader the other day and it turned out their 'loader' was some sort of script that took a pipe delimited file and converted it to csv by removing all quoted thingies and the replacing all pipes with commas so an input of "foo" |"bar," | became foo, bar,, and it all imploded

idk where the gently caress people get poo poo like this from

edit: Dtserror:success

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

you're not listening. it's the npm bundled with the node lts release. it's not a separate thing

it's completely different software and it's versioned and patched separately from 6.x -- it's a separate thing that the core node team has almost nothing to do with.

when you're triaging issues, it's not uncommon to have to sigh and say "okay well yeah we're broken for this use-case on docker, but on the other hand our reputation is getting massively hosed because people keep on maliciously taking over repositories and poo poo, so we're kind of going to have to let that one slide and build out 2fa etc to save our failing heap of an organization"

if the issue were that installing /any/ package on docker failed then yeah it would be inexcusable if this wasn't patched like the next day

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

like clearly npm has a history of loving up in spectacular ways but let's at least point out those cases instead of hand wringing relatively minor bugs that are isolated to specific configurations

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
node.js is trash and npm is a dumpster fire

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

someone complained about "bad data" in a file breaking their loader the other day and it turned out their 'loader' was some sort of script that took a pipe delimited file and converted it to csv by removing all quoted thingies and the replacing all pipes with commas so an input of "foo" |"bar," | became foo, bar,, and it all imploded

idk where the gently caress people get poo poo like this from

from oracle dbas most likely

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tab separated value is a decent way to store flat file data

no escaping to worry about in non-degenerate cases so you can whip up a parser for it in like 10 loc, excel/libreoffice understand it, and it's also the native text i/o format for postgres in case you want to quickly copy out a dataset from the psql tool or you want to firehose data into the db faster than a prepared INSERT

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
escaping is explicitly for the degenerate cases, if you don't have to worry about escaping then sure go ahead and use whatever character you want as field/record separator. but in the general case, gently caress off with that poo poo and use rfc-style csv, postgres can read it natively too, and at least then the escaping rules are written down somewhere that both you and your client can access

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
there's an ascii code for record separator, everyone should use that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GenJoe posted:

it's completely different software and it's versioned and patched separately from 6.x -- it's a separate thing that the core node team has almost nothing to do with.

when you're triaging issues, it's not uncommon to have to sigh and say "okay well yeah we're broken for this use-case on docker, but on the other hand our reputation is getting massively hosed because people keep on maliciously taking over repositories and poo poo, so we're kind of going to have to let that one slide and build out 2fa etc to save our failing heap of an organization"

if the issue were that installing /any/ package on docker failed then yeah it would be inexcusable if this wasn't patched like the next day
so what you're saying is that the software is bad, but this is a non-issue because the repos are also bad.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

necrotic posted:

If we push them all to mongo/js id call it a win

someone talk all the JavaScript people into replacing git on their projects with a bespoke system implemented in Node.js against MongoDB

that way eventual consistency would mean eventually we wouldn’t have to care about them

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

there's an ascii code for record separator, everyone should use that

there are so many good ascii codes that nobody ever uses. sad!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m vertical tab

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
hive uses an ascii control character as a record separator but they used \001 ('start of heading') instead of the actual record separator char :ughh:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I only try to put aside my unreasonable stubbornness and write JS once every blue moon, so I've got to ask are you still on your own in JS land if you want to parse the query string from a URL? I assumed this was a standard old as time but when last I attempted to use a query string it turned out the answer was actually a wild west of 'go loving code it yourself' with fifteen answers on SO all arguing about how to do it best.

Despite my project already having a bunch of libraries like jquery, underscore, and react all as hard requirements to even get a hello world page going, none of them supporting var value = window.url.query['key']; or something was frustrating enough for me to again give up and retreat down further into the stack.

edit: admittedly though I am a terrible programmer.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
You could use URLSearchParams, though you'll need a polyfill for IE.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
it's listed on mdn as an experimental technology??

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/URLSearchParams/URLSearchParams

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Whoops, missed that, I thought it was more widely supported. Though I suppose you could also use a polyfill with the assumption it'll eventually be supported, like with window.fetch.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

yes. basically you take something like pentaho that is mostly agnostic to input type and output type and fix your poo poo instead of having random scripts all over the loving place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

if you want some incoming data horror stories, we have a provider that insisted on an nda before they could send their data to us as xml, rather than rt-loving-f

• Locked thread