Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Wow, there really isn't a way to make the game stay as good as just exploring and building settlements. The moment I get a bit in the MSQ/Faction quests, I get super bored.

It's too bad because the exploration/crafting/non story parts are pretty drat fun.

I really just think that Bethesda should spin off a new subseries of Fallout: Rebuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

I really just think that Bethesda should spin off a new subseries of Fallout: Rebuilding.

If they managed to make non radiant-AI quests with that basis and hire good writers for the main stuff. They'd have some pretty insane content.

Too bad they like not delivering/rushing games out and relying on mods.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Hrrrng. Welp, got my character built and out of the Vault, anyway. (Seems the neat eye collection for use with LooksMenu really needs those "optional" files, otherwise it's an Event Horizon character creator without the gore.) And obviously I've got something hosed up already, as neither Synth Gloves nor Synth Arm Armor work correctly - I can turn my hands (glove only) or most of my body (full armor) invisible, in 1st or 3rd person. Prototype Vault Suit works fine, so it's possibly something synth-texture related. (Using MO 2.0.8.1 since that seems to be stable and non-memory-leaking, from what this thread says.)

Will gently caress with it more tomorrow later today, how the hell did it get to be 3 AM already?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

OwlFancier posted:

I think the issue is that the enemies aren't going to play queensbury and will shoot through things you can't see through.

Yeah this is the thing. You really easily get into situations where the enemies can track you but you can't spot them without getting to high ground or drawing them completely out of the grass and onto another surface.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Are there mods that make settlements less complicated and more straight forward? I kind of hated that part of the game but it'd be nice to do a few simple things to get a decent settlement going rather than meticulously placing parts.

The easiest way to do settlements is to never build a beacon. If you do a mission where you have to install a beacon to complete the mission, you just need to install it then immediately turn it off. Never recruit settlers. Most places already have settlers and enough food & shelter for those settlements. Water is lacking in some places, but those original settlers will never leave. You have to really gently caress up to lose a settlement without actually trying to do so. At the most, you'll need to plop down 2 water pumps and 2 basic turrets, and then you'll never have to screw around with a settlement afterwards.

It sounds crazy to do it that way, but trust me: once you stop creating situations that you have to manage, you'll never look back. Big settlements are a complete waste of time and resources unless you actually want to do them. There's literally no point to creating significant settlements unless you invest in local leader & cap collector.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yay! Figured out that there was an extra layer (the "data" directory) that was being installed by the mod/MO2, and thus the actual meshes/etc. weren't being found in the right spot. I'm not sure why one of the Synth Hand gloves is invisible in 3rd person, but now that I have *some* idea of what may be borked, I can look into that.

Might have to actually learn how to pro game modder 360 nifscope, because the ED full arm does look neat, but the male version beats hell out of the corset one.

Maybe in a few months I'll have my mods set up right and be able to actually play...

Edit - it's the Synth Arm Armor one - fixed the glove version for 3rd person, but the arm of the full armor is now 3rd-person invisible. :science: Also, the glove appears to be adding the entire synth arm without removing the flesh one, as the aftermarket parts clip through the meat. :aaa:

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 29, 2017

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Ygolonac posted:

Yay! Figured out that there was an extra layer (the "data" directory) that was being installed by the mod/MO2, and thus the actual meshes/etc. weren't being found in the right spot. I'm not sure why one of the Synth Hand gloves is invisible in 3rd person, but now that I have *some* idea of what may be borked, I can look into that.

Might have to actually learn how to pro game modder 360 nifscope, because the ED full arm does look neat, but the male version beats hell out of the corset one.

Maybe in a few months I'll have my mods set up right and be able to actually play...

Edit - it's the Synth Arm Armor one - fixed the glove version for 3rd person, but the arm of the full armor is now 3rd-person invisible. :science: Also, the glove appears to be adding the entire synth arm without removing the flesh one, as the aftermarket parts clip through the meat. :aaa:

I got sucked into x3 again like a complete wilbur,
nice choice of hair.
lemme go and do the needful some things, but please to be using unique player character.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Welp, after a lot of hassle, I got a whole lot of weapons merged successfully. A little heads up for anyone looking to do the same:

1. Merge all the .esp's with Merge Plugins
2. Get the Creation Kit from the Launcher because you will need Archive2.exe that's installed in Fallout4\Tools\ after the CK is installed
3. Unpack all the weapon ba2 files with Archive2
4. Repack all the resources into 'Main' and 'Textures' ba2 archives matching your plugin (ie "Guns.esp" , "Guns - Main.ba2" , "Guns - Textures.ba2")

If you keep the resources loose without packing into ba2 files, you will get a bunch of odd crashes that will have you praying for death.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ygolonac posted:

I think I can live with glove overrides - it's the "no armor but synth armor" part I wanted to avoid. I'm just going to have to wedge everything in I want for the character building, make a save and start playing with poo poo to see how it works/looks.

Speaking of seeing how things look/work, hoooo boy. Drooling over some of these foliage mods, and wondering exactly how far I can go and still keep it playable/not set my system on fire. Specs are: i7-4790 (4 GHz), 16 gig RAM, and GTX960 w/16 gig. No overclocking, and Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

These look pretty swippy, but how's it going to run when six Raiders are faffing about throwing molotovs during a radstorm or something?

(We shall not speak of searching for dropped or merely spawned items, nor mines and booby traps.)

you give us pretty pictures, we point out ways of highlighting corpses. https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4380 same person did tag bag,

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27550?tab=files <more options for synthy armatures.
A wee update, I hacked and slashed at the regular cbbe body, I have unique player and followers. (piper looks like she has actually been a hardnosed reporter now, garv has a non silly fro and fashionable glasses, he chills with his bro kurt cobain. you already know kurts weapon of choice.

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 31, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

staberind posted:

you give us pretty pictures, we point out ways of highlighting corpses. https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4380 same person did tag bag,

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27550?tab=files <more options for synthy armatures.

I mean, that's less "more options for synthy armatures" and more "more near-naked outfits that happen to have synth-like themes."

If they didn't like the corsety bit on the mod they're using, I don't think tits-and-wires is going to be up their alley...

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'm not sure if I like Horizons, its really annoying to not be able to heal at all in the beginning since I can barely find/make it to a doctor of some kind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sylink posted:

I'm not sure if I like Horizons, its really annoying to not be able to heal at all in the beginning since I can barely find/make it to a doctor of some kind.

You should be able to place a clinic down without any perks, you need settlements in horizon to serve as bases.

First job really is to get a beacon up at sanctuary and get a clinic.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

You should be able to place a clinic down without any perks, you need settlements in horizon to serve as bases.

First job really is to get a beacon up at sanctuary and get a clinic.

I used alternate stat, so maybe not the best choice. So I made it to Sanctuary with basically no health.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you started near a town you could work out of there instead, the weird town next to lexington has a doctor.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

staberind posted:

I got sucked into x3 again like a complete wilbur,
nice choice of hair.
lemme go and do the needful some things, but please to be using unique player character.

Not my character, it's from the person that made the male-to-female mesh for Evil Detective here.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, that's less "more options for synthy armatures" and more "more near-naked outfits that happen to have synth-like themes."

If they didn't like the corsety bit on the mod they're using, I don't think tits-and-wires is going to be up their alley...

It's not so much that I dislike the corset, it's that the dress-shirt/tie and vest looks better.

Yeah, electroluminescent underwires aren't the aesthetic I'm after.

Speaking of aesthetic,

this looks good, albeit at the cost of first-person animations and all. <click for modlink>

Back to screwing around, adding and changing things. Old World Radio - Boston is huge, and I like a lot of it, but might gouge out several of the stations and add my own musical selections. (No NIN, 8-Bit and Pee-Wee, thank you.)

Lootable Vault-Tec Containers and Wood Crates certainly makes the rarer materials easier to collect, at least from Vaults. Might be a bit much, though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ygolonac posted:

Back to screwing around, adding and changing things. Old World Radio - Boston is huge, and I like a lot of it, but might gouge out several of the stations and add my own musical selections. (No NIN, 8-Bit and Pee-Wee, thank you.)

You don't want to just use the Pip-pad and remove that stupid thing entirely?

OWRB has some good stuff but they're poo poo at giving you an idea of what's in any of the stations. Even the stations' individual pages are useless. Tumbleweed Tunes is one of the better ones in terms of both music and the DJ. But the single best radio station is Atomic Radio, made by the same people who did 3DNPCs for Skyrim.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Half the fun of cbbe is using outfit studio to do mashups. I consider stuff like tits and wires to be the base, and try to make an armour collection, (the mercenary underarmours are a fave, with some nice boots, ) I'm less into POWERTITSANDASS, more into making mashups with interesting sts of meshes.
if thats not an option for someone, yeah, your point is exactly that: sillicone synthy T&A

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ygolonac posted:

. (No NIN, 8-Bit and Pee-Wee, thank you.)

In a basement in the south of england, a goon closes his eyes and shakes his head.

If you are into carnage with a mad beat : http://criminimal.net/podcast/?p=archive

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

staberind posted:

Half the fun of cbbe is using outfit studio to do mashups. I consider stuff like tits and wires to be the base, and try to make an armour collection, (the mercenary underarmours are a fave, with some nice boots, ) I'm less into POWERTITSANDASS, more into making mashups with interesting sts of meshes.
if thats not an option for someone, yeah, your point is exactly that: sillicone synthy T&A

...Well, generally speaking, I don't assume everyone edits outfit meshes to get what they want as a baseline. I rarely bother doing that for myself. And they asked about making a metal arm work with other outfits in general, so editing outfits is a bit out of the realm of what seems to be asked for here.

Why do you even need CBBE in particular for that? I hear that all the time, but all I see it used for is fiddly stuff I don't care about or amorphous hourglass women. And you can make outfit mashups with basically anything in Outfit Studio, can't you?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Hmmm, craftable bag that can be dropped, quest marker activates when dropped.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27577/

Note: I haven't tried it out yet, but a cache-bag is still nice.

Wonder if it'll work with Salvage Beacons?

More interesting or amusing things:

Replaces the settlers spawning at Sanctuary Hills with Rats you can put to work or move to any other town, or set to caravan. A Spawn Button was added to the workbench as well, to spawn rats. They do not count toward town population.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27442/ - Memorials to the Fallen - PRESS X TO PAY RESPECTS

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27441/ - Ever think "I love Triss's armor from The Witcher 3, but drat my choosing a male character!" ?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27417/ - House Armour

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 31, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hmmm, craftable bag that can be dropped, quest marker activates when dropped.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27577/

Note: I haven't tried it out yet, but a cache-bag is still nice.

Wonder if it'll work with Salvage Beacons?

The problem with that would be you'd have to go back and grab your bag after the contents were transferred. If you made salvage beacons aware of this special container and somehow despawn the bag and add one to your workshop along with the contents then that would be neat.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If you started near a town you could work out of there instead, the weird town next to lexington has a doctor.

Kind of worked, but then i remembered how annoying the broken console in survivor mode is

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

The problem with that would be you'd have to go back and grab your bag after the contents were transferred. If you made salvage beacons aware of this special container and somehow despawn the bag and add one to your workshop along with the contents then that would be neat.

I'm thinking less of a magic pickup and more "SB container that won't respawn contents".

An actual SB version would be neat, too.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I'm thinking less of a magic pickup and more "SB container that won't respawn contents".

An actual SB version would be neat, too.

Have you actually had your contents get destroyed in a respawn when using SB? Never happened to me and seems unlikely with default cell reset timers.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Saint Sputnik posted:

You don't want to just use the Pip-pad and remove that stupid thing entirely?

Nah, I like the Pip-Boy, i just don't like that it was made for Roid Facestab, the inverted-triangle man.

staberind posted:

In a basement in the south of england, a goon closes his eyes and shakes his head.

If you are into carnage with a mad beat : http://criminimal.net/podcast/?p=archive

I'll probably end up adding in early soul and R&B/Northern Soul stuff, as well as noir/suspense-type movie scores (different station, if course). Since my own selections aren't going to be distributed, I don't have to only pick from the public domain. This also means the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre can join the other OTR stations I've already added.

I've consoled in a shitload of materials so i can test various craftable items, and also a stupid amount of perk points and experience just so I can faff about and find out that those generic raiders I was dunking on are now somewhat more jacked up, thanks to Raider Overhaul. :black101: Nights are a lot more dangerous since I turned on NAC, but the Red Rocket looks so good all lit up (via the big combo-pack mod that illuminates the Rocket, diners and the drive-in, bus stops and assorted billboards and signage). I can lock nearly all containers and doorways, I can try to shoot or blow up locks, I can sleep on couches... I've barely added any of the clothing or armor yet, none of the weapons or power-armor mods, and I'm already at like 60+ mods. :v:

Enhanced Gun Smoke *and* Dynamic Muzzle Shadows? Sure, why not...

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

This proves that games can be art.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

After testing/reading through a few gameplay mods like Horizons, and trying Horizons more, what is up with the Fo4 modders and bloat?

Every mod that does a good gameplay thing or at least interesting, just spirals out of control and starts changing everything. There is a locational damage mod which is a neat feature/addition then it also decides to add timed saves for no reason?

Its like the modders get bored and feature creep takes over.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

To be fair that describes basically every bethesda game's modders since morrowind, and there's more than a little overlap in mod scenes.

You're right though, as much as having six dozen different xcom2 mods to do what I want to do and a bunch of personal tweaks to inis and stuff... I always have to fix these huge overhaul mods because the guy is a poor armchair designer. I'd rather have a poo poo ton of overly specific mods.

MikeJF posted:

I started this game expecting to never do settlements and ended up with 23 heavily built ones; I've been watching mods but what I kept coming back for was hoping I'd put together a mod stack where I could literally just scrap everything that wasnt part of the world geometry and put whatever I wanted wherever... and pave the wasteland and turn it to Institute level tech.

The fact that -- as far as I can tell -- there are engine limits still preventing this is... highly disappointing to say the least. When I tried to see HOW far I could push my mod stack toward that, I found out there were MULTIPLE things stopping me and I would just have to try a poo poo ton of mod combos and see what fucks up less. Great.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 1, 2017

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

In horizons a vendor stall requires a vendor contract, where do you get those? I cant find a reference to it anywhere.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ygolonac posted:

I'll probably end up adding in early soul and R&B/Northern Soul stuff, as well as noir/suspense-type movie scores (different station, if course). Since my own selections aren't going to be distributed, I don't have to only pick from the public domain. This also means the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre can join the other OTR stations I've already added.

If you like old blues, here's the station I made: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/

I'm also currently putting together a station made up of old quiz shows. I'm cutting down segments of games like What's My Line and It Pays To Be Ignorant into 4 to 8 minute chunks and throwing in some old ad jingles and stuff for padding.

Sylink posted:

After testing/reading through a few gameplay mods like Horizons, and trying Horizons more, what is up with the Fo4 modders and bloat?

Every mod that does a good gameplay thing or at least interesting, just spirals out of control and starts changing everything. There is a locational damage mod which is a neat feature/addition then it also decides to add timed saves for no reason?

Its like the modders get bored and feature creep takes over.

My favorite is the mod that makes the big ugly WWI style machine gun into something a little better looking, BUT ALSO adds some dumb game mechanic that makes bad guys get scared and run away

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Horizon is specifically an overhaul, so calling it bloated doesn't really make any sense. By definition its goal is to massively rework most of the major game mechanics. But I agree with you on the rest of your post.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Dang, that Salvage Beacon mod is handy. Survival mode has been wearing my boots a little thin lately, so it's the perfect way to pare down cross-map travel time.

Sylink posted:

Ummm why the hell is there an Oblivion gate in each of my settlements???

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, threw in Modern FIrearms - I absolutely want a moddable FN-FAL, and can live with some level of tactispergery to it... but dear god all the additional poo poo. "Hey, random Super Mutant raiding party. All three packing .338 Lapua sniper rifles." :smithicide: MF is geting taken out back behind the woodshed when I get back to the computer. (I liked the additional tactical/modern stuff for my STALKER Call of Chernobyl run, and I added enough guns and accessories via mods to 7.62mm to CTD on opening vendor inventories, but much like some of the radio stations and the Pip-Pad, it doesn't fit the way I want the game to be.)

Maybe someone might make a T48 mod, with a Trilux option. :clint:

I did pimp out the Handmade Revolver of the Strong (+25% damage Legendary, IIRC) into .45, kept it short for better hipfiring and threw on a can. That cleared all of Corvega nearly flawlessly, and I think I'm going to miss it when I restart the game once the modset is complete. The bullet-time mod I added makes for *disgusting* gunfights. :getin::unsmigghh:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Oh hey I didn’t realize Horizon 1.3 is out. I just finished my mostly vanilla playthrough. Holy hell is the end of nuka world unsatisfying. Back to Horizon!

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Ygolonac posted:

"Hey, random Super Mutant raiding party. All three packing .338 Lapua sniper rifles."

Yeah, for some reason Super Mutants almost all have sniper rifles in this mod. I don’t understand.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

What is the current fun-tedium ratio of the changes made by Horizon?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I’m beginning to think I should just start streaming a Horizon playthrough to help people make up their minds. Would that interest anyone?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Be curious to see how other people play it.

E: Apparently the weapon pack got updated too and now includes leveled list integration.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 1, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

horse mans posted:

I’m beginning to think I should just start streaming a Horizon playthrough to help people make up their minds. Would that interest anyone?

I think I watched you streaming this once before and it was all black and white and very tedious. I'd watch if you did it again with the latest Horizon bits installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27418/

Hey, this is a pretty cool Brotherhood outfit- wait, THE KITE? It's about The Kite and it's not lovely and titty! A fuckin miracle.

Seriously though, this looks good and there's leveled list support.