Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

alf_pogs posted:

the hard drive capacity sucks on the switch but luckily for me LA Noire isn't the game that's going to make me find a solution to this problem. if a Dark Souls re-release were on the cards that needed it, however...

Wolfenstein 2 is making me wonder if I need to finally stop being cheap and buy a micro sd card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Imagined posted:

There are currently 14 smartphones on the market that come with 256GB of storage, and a loving poo poo ton that come with 128GB. Nintendo cheaped out, like they always do. I own a Switch. It's OK to criticize it.

When the Xbox 360 was a thing, everyone knew that the Arcade Edition without a hard drive was the sucker deal. The real price of the 360 was the console + a hard drive. Midway through that generation, it was necessary. So when the PS4 and Xbone came out, they all came with 500GB+ hdds. There was no sucker "no harddrive" SKU. The real price of the Switch is $299 + a good SD card, apparently now even if you want to buy cartridges.

Now look up the prices of those phones.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is making me wonder if I need to finally stop being cheap and buy a micro sd card.

i thought Doom was gonna be the straw on that camel's back but those magnificent bastards, they did it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Now look up the prices of those phones.

I'm sure it's the flash memory that makes them that expensive. :thumbsup: The retail price of 256GB of flash memory is $60 right now.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 2, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the dog anus.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Imagined posted:

I'm sure it's the flash memory that makes them that expensive. :thumbsup: The retail price of 256GB of flash memory is $60 right now.

In what form factor?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I have been doing a lot of traveling via Planes, Trains, and Buses with my switch. It has made all these trips seem like no time at all, way better than all the other stuff I've ever taken with me before.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imagined posted:

Not if it doesn't come with an SD card in it? Hence the "expecting the consumer to pick up the slack".

Switch comes with built-in storage, if it's not enough you can upgrade to more. Sounds like a current-gen console to me?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the dog anus.

new thread title

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

I have been doing a lot of traveling via Planes, Trains, and Buses with my switch. It has made all these trips seem like no time at all, way better than all the other stuff I've ever taken with me before.

The difference is unreal

Like "I guess I could play my 3DS if I get really bored" vs. "nice, I still have 3 hours left to play stardew valley"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

is the pro controller worth having at all if i'm ok with the grip-attached joycons when i'm playing on the tv?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

is the pro controller worth having at all if i'm ok with the grip-attached joycons when i'm playing on the tv?

it's a very very good controller with an insane battery life, but ultimately it's just another controller. let your heart be your guide

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

God dammit Nintendo. I guess cartridges must be how Nintendo allows the Switch to be portable, but this just sounds like a hassle.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

God dammit Nintendo. I guess cartridges must be how Nintendo allows the Switch to be portable, but this just sounds like a hassle.

The game itself is like 40+ gigs on PS4 and Xbone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

And if you're into CAWs then you're killing at least a gig on save data just to hold them.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I am not going to play that horrible wrestling game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Probably not? It's just subjective. I'm quite happy using split joycons so I bought another joycon pair instead of a pro controller because it seemed more versatile in case I needed four player mario kart.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ciaphas posted:

Nah, if you're alright with the Joy-Con grip. Just never ever play on one so you don't know what you're missing. (Not that it's THAT much better, just larger and more comfortable.)

The main reason I bought a Pro controller was for the D-pad, and it's surprisingly a giant piece of poo poo. The individual buttons on the Joy-Con make an immeasurably better D-pad.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

a.lo posted:

I am not going to play that horrible wrestling game

On the other hand, if the new Fire Pro comes out for Switch I will probably never play anything else.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

enojy posted:

Nah, if you're alright with the Joy-Con grip. Just never ever play on one so you don't know what you're missing. (Not that it's THAT much better, just larger and more comfortable.)

The main reason I bought a Pro controller was for the D-pad, and it's surprisingly a giant piece of poo poo. The individual buttons on the Joy-Con make an immeasurably better D-pad.

The d-pad thing was what I was thinking about too, thanks for letting me know the pro one is garbo.

How do I get pictures out of this thing, is Twitter/FB integration (ugh) the only way?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

The d-pad thing was what I was thinking about too, thanks for letting me know the pro one is garbo.

How do I get pictures out of this thing, is Twitter/FB integration (ugh) the only way?

That or whip out the SD card if you're using one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh thank christ they're on the SD card. gently caress twitter and facebook to hell

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

So that means about half the game deliberately isn't on the cartridge? That's how they're gonna handle giant games, rather than reducing their texture resolution or re-encode videos or something?

So much for carts being a useful thing for people on metered internet connections.

They could just ship it on a 32GB card and lose an extra $0.10/card or whatever.

Ciaphas posted:

I disagree that the d-pad on the Pro Controller is garbage. I prefer it to the individual buttons on the joy cons many times over. So I'd wait until you get a lot of opinions or try it for yourself before assuming it is garbage. If I am sitting on the couch playing a game, its on the Pro Controller as everything about it is better, IMO, other than having much weaker rumble. Joycons are only used individually for multiplayer MK8 races, and I have little plastic controller shells they fit into to give better shoulder buttons without having to use those stupid straps. If someone needed a full size second controller , then they can use the joycon grip, but I am using the Pro Controller. Not even going to be a nice host when it comes to that, kinda like making friends play with the broken Madcatz controller back in the day.

edit: not saying joy cons in the grip is on lovely 3rd party controller levels, I just prefer the Pro Controller that much.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 2, 2017

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Is wrestling real

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Pro Controller D-Pad fails, fundamentally, to do the important d-pad task of being significantly more reliable at specific directions than an analogue stick. Tons of false inputs, especially on the top diagonals. Makes Tetris unplayable (accidental hard drops) and is therefore Not Trustworthy.

Comfortable controller but if a D-Pad isn't reliable, I'd rather have separate buttons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah if the pro controller gives false positives on the D-pad then I'm sticking to the joycons even sight unseen, that's kinda critical

Hmm, do I want to continue playing Odyssey (working on the sand world, so like an hour in) or do I want to pick up Golf Story

I'm not much for golf but amusing RPG story/dialogue and Earthbound-ish aesthetic sounds good

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 2, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At least finish the tutorial in Mario.

You'll know you have finished the tutorial when the credits roll.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
If you guys don't care about wireless gamepads, the Horipad is an official licensed gamepad with a very similar form factor as the pro controller for $28. It doesn't have motion controls, but it's excellent and works natively on the PC if that's a bonus for you.

And you can remove the d-pad cover and they become 4 separate buttons, if you're concerned about wrong d-pad inputs.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'd rather die than use a wired non motion controller tyvm

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Somehow Nintendo forgot how to make good D-Pads at large sizes. The Wii U gamepad had the same problem - lots of false Ups. 3DS pads are nice and tiny and clicky.

Best d-pad of all time? PSVita, actually.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'd rather die than use a wired non motion controller tyvm

These ones then?

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-Controller-Windows-macOS-Android/dp/B0748S1VDC

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SF30-Controller-Windows-macOS-Android/dp/B0748S3GXG

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

At least finish the tutorial in Mario.

You'll know you have finished the tutorial when the credits roll.

That's still a lot of game!

I'll probably do that in lieu of spending moremoney I guess

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Is there a way to make a game install on system memory instead of sd?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Is wrestling real

wrestling Is real

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

Is wrestling real

It is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So today I learned that if you spinjump, ground pound and press Y as you hit the ground, instead of doing the downward cap throw, you do the forward spinroll but with a strong boost.

Mario has a spindash

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Were there any big Switch releases this month?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

So today I learned that if you spinjump, ground pound and press Y as you hit the ground, instead of doing the downward cap throw, you do the forward spinroll but with a strong boost.

Mario has a spindash

You even collect rings! (nevermind that they turn into coins)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kaewan posted:

Is there a way to make a game install on system memory instead of sd?

Pop out the SD card before installing. Though if the game ever gets patches they'll show up on the SD card anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Imagined posted:

There are currently 14 smartphones on the market that come with 256GB of storage, and a loving poo poo ton that come with 128GB. Nintendo cheaped out, like they always do. I own a Switch. It's OK to criticize it.

When the Xbox 360 was a thing, everyone knew that the Arcade Edition without a hard drive was the sucker deal. The real price of the 360 was the console + a hard drive. Midway through that generation, it was necessary. So when the PS4 and Xbone came out, they all came with 500GB+ hdds. There was no sucker "no harddrive" SKU. The real price of the Switch is $299 + a good SD card, apparently now even if you want to buy cartridges.

Going up a tier to increase storage is generally an extra $100 per tier in phone land.
Also with consoles you usually have a platter drive which are cheap as hell while the form factor and power requirements of the switch mean they can only use solid state memory which is far far more expensive still.
Also the NAND chips that are used for mobile storage are in really high demand right now due to lack of supply.
Its not a great situation, I hope they eventually add USB storage for when you're docked but its probably the same compromises I would've made in their shoes.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 2, 2017

• Locked thread