Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Pierson posted:

The next set of panels really needs to be the various demons going OOOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIT.

Does Odin have a demon like the others? I don't recall it showing up or him mentioning anything about one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So Abby's like of Last Halloween and Junior Scientist Power Hour updates, this time around, was because she was working on a shortish standalone for Halloween.

I like it.

The Door in the Kitchen:
http://www.terror-town.com/stories/4/pages/1

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 2, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Heliotrope posted:

Does Odin have a demon like the others? I don't recall it showing up or him mentioning anything about one.

Yeah its Pedri, Wrathia's husband, and they do not get on At All.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pierson posted:

Yeah its Pedri, Wrathia's husband, and they do not get on At All.
Odin spoilers
So much so it's why he smokes right, to keep him out

I'm torn with Poppy because I feel the stakes are all ready too high for "You went and upset our kinda crappy but stable life under bird mob boss" to make sense? Maybe it's not meant to and i'm overthinking things

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 2, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stormgale posted:

I'm torn with Poppy because I feel the stakes are all ready too high for "You went and upset our kinda crappy but stable life under bird mob boss" to make sense? Maybe it's not meant to and i'm overthinking things

I do not think it is that so much that Petunia is having the Lando Calrissian dilemma; Its not that she wants to protect her lifestyle so much as the big bad is forcing her to act against her friend by basically destroying the town she is responsible for if she doesn't cooperate. Petunia's 'Okay children, now step aside, let the ADULTS handle this' attitude is also compounding this.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 2, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For further reference, see this page and the next one, specifically panel 7 of the second page

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I do not think it is that so much that Petunia is having the Lando Calrissian dilemma; Its not that she wants to protect her lifestyle so much as the big bad is forcing her to act against her friend by basically destroying the town she is responsible for if she doesn't cooperate. Petunia's 'Okay children, now step aside, let the ADULTS handle this' attitude is also compounding this.

Poppy stuff
I guess but I mean, Bird boss was not exactly beyond messing up their village just because and while Petunia's actions make sense the fact we as an audience know that it is reaching Super villain with super magic dragon blood territory is kinda making Petunia's attitude seem more frustratingly short sighted than dramatic.

It's not a deal breaker just i'm not really feeling this scene and i'm trying to figure out why.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

In Dumbing of Age I tend not to read the strips that don't directly involve Joyce since she's the only part of the comic I really enjoy, but some plotlines have intersected with her and now I'm confused.

Why does Sarah hate Raidah so much?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sarah's original roommate was a popular girl who was secretly spiralling downwards via drugs and alcohol and depression. Sarah alerted the authorities and the girl was taken out of school.

Raidah was that girl's friend and has hated Sarah ever since as a "narc."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galvanik posted:

Why does Sarah hate Raidah so much?

They have an already existing mutually adversarial relationship from the previous year, before the comic starter I think. They are both sophomores, while most of the characters are freshman (as we've just been reminded, otherwise I would have totally forgot about that).

I think they may have actually been roommates or something? Or something to do with roommates? I can't remember.

Edit: Or maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't know.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Sarah's original roommate was a popular girl who was secretly spiralling downwards via drugs and alcohol and depression. Sarah alerted the authorities and the girl was taken out of school.

Raidah was that girl's friend and has hated Sarah ever since as a "narc."
lol jesus. Ok so, Sarah hates Raidah, because Raidah is angry at Sarah, because Sarah might have ruined Raidah's friend's life?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Correct, although honestly Sarah was probably 100% correct in her decision.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Stormgale posted:

Poppy stuff
I guess but I mean, Bird boss was not exactly beyond messing up their village just because and while Petunia's actions make sense the fact we as an audience know that it is reaching Super villain with super magic dragon blood territory is kinda making Petunia's attitude seem more frustratingly short sighted than dramatic.

It's not a deal breaker just i'm not really feeling this scene and i'm trying to figure out why.

there's a plutocrat in your actual real government who's bought entire an entire political party under the table and used their power to sell control of the country's uranium mines to its enemies for bribes and you're arguing about webcomics instead of out in the streets soooo

Chicadino's scheme to corner the market on magical oil/uranium is, like, bad, but it's mostly bad for reasons only Poppy and Kit really care about (exploiting the possum underclass) or that literally no characters know about and the readers have only seen hinted at (some kind of vague connection to an evil wizard conspiracy), whereas Petunia getting kicked out of her home alongside everyone she's responsible for is sort of an immediately relevant thing for her, and she's been given the option to not just let it happen for the sake of some vague political bullshit she's got no part of. If your bank told you to go counterprotest some hippies or they'd foreclose on your mortgage immediately, you gonna move into a tent?

It's sort of been a longrunning thing in the comic that most of the characters except Poppy are happy beneficiaries of a deeply hosed up status quo, and even where they're not pumped about it they stand to lose everything they've got by fighting the system.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 3, 2017

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Correct, although honestly Sarah was probably 100% correct in her decision.

Oh, I agree with that. It's Sarah's extreme pettiness that amused me. From Raidah's perspective Sarah caused her friend to get kicked out of school. And instead of saying "I did what I had to do for myself" and accepting that Raidah hates her, Sarah has decided that now she needs to gently caress with Raidah. And Jacob. And Joyce, her supposed friend.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also since David Willis isn't really good at handling drama, Raidah's antagonism is expressed by her making supervillain speeches and plotting with her friendgroup like a secret cabal.

There's also the angle where Willis is trying to appeal to shippers by presenting as many potential romantic pairings as possible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Willis still makes comics?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I thought Sarah hated Raidah for dating Jacob?

Raidah is written like Mary if Mary had some cronies to pontificate to.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
This discussion is doing a very good job of convincing me that dropping Dumbing of Age from my daily reading list was the Right Choice.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Same. Which is a real shame because Willis seems like a nice guy. I do wish you would just start from scratch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

David Willis has a few consistent issues throughout all his works: He can't stick to a tone so he keeps flipping between jokey fun and the cheesiest melodrama, and he can't ever get away from his precious babies to ever do a new series. Like even his oldest work available on the internet, Roomies, it stars characters that he had been making comics of in high school.

Shortpacked was probably the closest he's ever gotten to a new start with new characters, but even then it starred characters who were in the background his last comic.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's because half the characters at this point are self-inserts.

joyce: david willis but girl
danny: david willis but bi
walky: david willis but black
ruth: david willis but lesbian
carla: david willis but car

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

In other webcomics news, good to see Tim Jones get the comeuppance he so richly deserves. I look forward to seeing who his lawyer turns out to be. I'm hoping incompetent boob.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's because half the characters at this point are self-inserts.

joyce: david willis but girl
danny: david willis but bi
walky: david willis but black
ruth: david willis but lesbian
carla: david willis but car

...walky was black?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Walky and Sal are both half-black, but Walky passes for white.

There was a big to-do over this where Sal pointed out that Walky was favored over her by their parents because of this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...Sal was black?

No, seriously, I read all of Roomies and most of It's Walky and never realized that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yvonmukluk posted:

In other webcomics news, good to see Tim Jones get the comeuppance he so richly deserves. I look forward to seeing who his lawyer turns out to be. I'm hoping incompetent boob.

Well there is fine legal mind Shelly Winters

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Galvanik posted:

Oh, I agree with that. It's Sarah's extreme pettiness that amused me. From Raidah's perspective Sarah caused her friend to get kicked out of school. And instead of saying "I did what I had to do for myself" and accepting that Raidah hates her, Sarah has decided that now she needs to gently caress with Raidah. And Jacob. And Joyce, her supposed friend.

No one got kicked out of school: Her dad pulled her out, there's nothing on the school's end stopping her from coming back when her poo poo is together again.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there's a plutocrat in your actual real government who's bought entire an entire political party under the table and used their power to sell control of the country's uranium mines to its enemies for bribes and you're arguing about webcomics instead of out in the streets soooo

What the hell?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

No one got kicked out of school: Her dad pulled her out, there's nothing on the school's end stopping her from coming back when her poo poo is together again.

Well now I don't understand any of Raidah's anger, or Sarah's. Seems like Sarah helped stop her friend from self destructing.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Galvanik posted:

Well now I don't understand any of Raidah's anger, or Sarah's. Seems like Sarah helped stop her friend from self destructing.

raidah doesn't believe there was anything wrong, she's convinced everything was fine and sarah ruined it all by tattling on roommate's weed habit, because the roommate only showed her depression in the privacy of their own room.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there's a plutocrat in your actual real government who's bought entire an entire political party under the table and used their power to sell control of the country's uranium mines to its enemies for bribes and you're arguing about webcomics instead of out in the streets sooo

let's zoom in on this a little, i could use a laugh

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh good it's not just me that saw that and went "I... don't think you're describing reality there."
I am dead curious whether that's what I think it is though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like lmao are you seriously buying into that "scandal"

you dumb motherfucker the usa's uranium deposits are utter shite-grade, all the material they actually use is imported. of loving course they sold the rights

way to fall for the weakest attempt at distraction from the actual current ongoing issues the us right wing can scrounge up

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

raidah doesn't believe there was anything wrong, she's convinced everything was fine and sarah ruined it all by tattling on roommate's weed habit, because the roommate only showed her depression in the privacy of their own room.

Even in that case she's weirdly overreacting because again, it was just the roommate's dad pulling her out of school, not getting kicked out in any way. "I think you're a lovely person and I don't really want to be friends with you anymore," proportional to the imagined offense. "I hope you choke" uh, what the gently caress?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tollymain posted:

like lmao are you seriously buying into that "scandal"

you dumb motherfucker the usa's uranium deposits are utter shite-grade, all the material they actually use is imported. of loving course they sold the rights

way to fall for the weakest attempt at distraction from the actual current ongoing issues the us right wing can scrounge up

Also we don't export any of the uranium from those mines. Also Hilary was part of one of nine or so organizations that approved the deal in question. Also Hilary doesn't have any political power right now. Also Hilary's primary tie with Russia is that Putin hates her.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Wittgen posted:

Also we don't export any of the uranium from those mines. Also Hilary was part of one of nine or so organizations that approved the deal in question. Also Hilary doesn't have any political power right now. Also Hilary's primary tie with Russia is that Putin hates her.

But she's, apparently, Shadow President.
Also, like, once you have the irrational degree and kind of hatred the Right has for Clinton, none of that matters so much as the rush of emotions seeing her being pilloried gives you, I would assume. Nothing else could possibly explain it.

I'd be hugely amused if Putin were to grit his teeth and try to make himself explain that actually, he loves Clinton, she's great, in order to help Fox News out with this one.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
nuclear meltdown in the webcomics thread

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Boo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I find petty and shortsighted characters unrelatable because I don't need to actually have anything at stake for me to rush to the defense of awful people, merely the opportunity to deploy a zinger I heard a blog use against an imaginary guy from the bad team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
incomprehensible, thank you