Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was looking for a Finnish pangram but the only perfect one (törkylempijävongahdus) is missing the foreign phonemes (Finnish is more or less written phonemically) :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
You can't fool me, that's what we say when we're trying to mock-curse in Finnish.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EmmyOk posted:

jumps not jumped

This is some Nelson Mandela effect poo poo

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

pik_d posted:

This is some Nelson Mandela effect poo poo

Weird. If I search for "the quick brown fox j," it mostly has "jumped" - but if I leave off the "the," it mostly has "jumps."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ubergnu posted:

You can't fool me, that's what we say when we're trying to mock-curse in Finnish.

Everything you say is törkylempijävongahdus.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Weird. If I search for "the quick brown fox j," it mostly has "jumped" - but if I leave off the "the," it mostly has "jumps."
It has to have an ‘s’ in it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s definitely jumped. I remember that from one of the Berenstein books.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's jumps you nitwits. This isn't up for discussion. It's a sentence specifically designed to use every letter of the English alphabet, how are you arguing that it's phrased in such a way to not do that.

Olive! has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Nov 1, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Because it was a major plot point in that genie movie with Sinbad. I wouldn’t forget something like that.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s definitely jumped. I remember that from one of the Berenstein books.

:golfclap:

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure the fox died in prison years ago. Or was it the dog?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Blinded by the fog
Got doxxed by a Fox
Who past tense jumped over a dog

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Nov 1, 2017

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Besesoth posted:

Nobody can agree on how to pronounce Newark. In New Jersey it's "NOO erk", in Delaware it's "NEW ark" (and they get mad if you pronounce it "NOO erk").

Lol I live in Newark, Delaware and yep you will get corrected every time

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If you're from Louisville, KY it's pronounced LUHL-vul. It's become a bit of a hassle for me since I haven't lived in KY since I was three and no one knows where the hell I'm talking about.
Not gonna change it, though. :colbert:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ubergnu posted:

Just found out yesterday after all these years: The Bangles' Hazy Shade of Winter isn't written by them, it's a cover of a Simon and Garfunkel song! And I thought I had a somewhat good knowledge of their discography.

The Bangles version is better

Wait till you find out about Manic Monday.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I pronounce New Orleans correctly and I'm a drat Yankee from Massachusetts.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nouveau Orrléahh, hoh hoh hoh!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I pronounce New Orleans correctly and I'm a drat Yankee from Massachusetts.

If you say it anyway other than the two words quickly smooshed together with various potency of the letter “w” your either not from there or you are who Boudreaux and Thibodeaux are based on.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

HaB posted:

Wait till you find out about Manic Monday.

Dammit! At least Walk Like an Egyptian is safe no wait why do I bother

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ubergnu posted:

If it makes you feel better, the percentage of pop songs actually written by the people who performed them is astonishingly low (Terius Nash, aka The-Dream, wrote, like, half the pop hits between 2000-2010), and if nobody else actually released a performance of the song it's not really a cover. The Bangles were the first group to release recordings of "Manic Monday" and "Walk Like an Egyptian", so you can feel comfortable in that, at least.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Literally about 100% of music ever performed in the history of man kind was not written by the performer.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ubergnu posted:

That video ended up being the beginning of the end for the band :(

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Das Boo posted:

If you're from Louisville, KY it's pronounced LUHL-vul. It's become a bit of a hassle for me since I haven't lived in KY since I was three and no one knows where the hell I'm talking about.
Not gonna change it, though. :colbert:

Lou-ih-vill is acceptable in a pinch, though it will definitely mark you as a transplant. Lewis-vill, though, is VERBOTEN.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I pronounce it as Loose-Veal and give my fellow Americans a common foe.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally about 100% of music ever performed in the history of man is about sex.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

fruit on the bottom posted:

I pronounce it as Loose-Veal and give my fellow Americans a common foe.

I like to call it Lost Wages!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally about 100% of music ever performed in the history of man kind was not written by the performer.

Except for that one song, it was... wait, no. It was about sex, too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Proteus Jones posted:

Some are about drugs! And a few are about the music itself (although admittedly usually how it relates to sex)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’d read a thread where people post songs they’re pretty sure aren’t about sex and then other people ruin them with new and exciting interpretations about how actually, yes, they are.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Was it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RO2kKqyK5o

Spoiler: Yes it literally was because Taistosim got you heck of laid back in the day :(

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was watching It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown a few nights ago, for obvious reasons, and something occurred to me about the WWI flying ace/Sopwith Camel stuff: the Peanuts kids' grandparents probably would have been WWI veterans, or at least have lived during that era. As a Millennial born in the mid '80s, the references to WWI-era stuff doesn't mean as much to me as it probably would have to comics readers of the mid '60s.

Not a huge revelation, but I had just never thought of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Heck in the mid 60s having fought in WW2 was just still as much of a dad thing as a grandpa thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Some are about drugs! And a few are about the music itself (although admittedly usually how it relates to sex)
There are a whole lot of songs about how rock and roll is actually good music that will be around forever and not dumb noises for stupid kids.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Vietnam was grandpa's war for kids these days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zero One posted:

Vietnam was grandpa's war for kids these days.

More like the Gulf war.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

At the risk of yet another questionable etymology post, I just found out that mesquite isn't an adjective, but a name of a tree whose wood is used to smoke food.

All this time, I thought mesquite was an adjective that describes a certain flavor that American barbecue sauce has, in a way you can say something tastes sweet or savory. I keep hearing the phrase "mesquite barbecue" when growing up, but I never thought much of it. Am I wrong on this?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

At the risk of yet another questionable etymology post, I just found out that mesquite isn't an adjective, but a name of a tree whose wood is used to smoke food.

All this time, I thought mesquite was an adjective that describes a certain flavor that American barbecue sauce has, in a way you can say something tastes sweet or savory. I keep hearing the phrase "mesquite barbecue" when growing up, but I never thought much of it. Am I wrong on this?

You can smoke with a number of different kinds of woods; each one gives a different flavor so are often used in different kinds of foods. So functionally when used in things like sauces it's describing the flavor of something smoked using mesquite wood.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Hörly lörly what the gently caress :vince:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Heck in the mid 60s having fought in WW2 was just still as much of a dad thing as a grandpa thing.

yes dad fought in WW2 and grandpa was in WWI like the WWI flying ace portrayed by Snoopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hörly lörly what the gently caress :vince:

is this shock because you also just figured this out or you can't believe he didn't know this?