Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The phone activation screen will lie about the service not available, but you can find the phone number on Microsoft website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Details? I always thought OEM keys were tied to a motherboard.

What do you mean by OEM key? A "system builder" version of Windows, a retail copy, or one that came with a pre-built from a big manufacturer like dell/hp?

I didn’t realize you were talking about oem keys but really there is no reason for people building their own machine to buy oem keys. You can get windows 7 keys for like $20 that are fully upgradable to windows 10 for free and these are retail keys.

MS doesn’t make money off of windows for consumer level PCs anymore and wants everyone on the latest version. Using their phone system (sorry, don’t have the number) they’ll eventually approve any upgrade from any type of key.

Hell windows still works 100% indefinitely if you don’t even activate it.

If you’re spending $100 on windows in 2017 you’re doing it wrong.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 2, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Alternatively, clone your hard drive to the new ssd and hope you never need to reinstall it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I game at 1440p with a 1070. I have an i5-4670k. Is this new generation of CPUs THE ONE to upgrade to?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KingKapalone posted:

I game at 1440p with a 1070. I have an i5-4670k. Is this new generation of CPUs THE ONE to upgrade to?

If you can't feel any slowness yet, it's always best to wait some more.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

anthonypants posted:

I would like to buy a case for an upcoming HTPC. I have the following unreasonable demands:
1) Horizontal layout with front-to-back airflow. Rackmount would be fine.
2) More than two PCI slots (low profile/half-height is fine) so I can fit a few expansion cards, like a video card, an ethernet adapter, and maybe a capture card.
3) Internal storage isn't a concern; the goal is to boot from M.2 or USB, and the primary storage will be on a secondary box.

It looks like mATX is the smallest form factor I can expect, and I'd prefer something smaller. Maybe the Lian-Li PC-V320 would work, but it doesn't look like those are out for sale yet. I'll probably end up buying the SilverStone ML03 unless anyone has suggestions.

I suggest the Antec Remote Fusion Black case that's taking shelf space in my basement. It was a nice, relatively quiet mATX HTPC case with good airflow, a gimmicky LCD display, and a remote. Newegg has more pictures. PM me if you're interested.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shame Boner posted:

I suggest the Antec Remote Fusion Black case that's taking shelf space in my basement. It was a nice, relatively quiet mATX HTPC case with good airflow, a gimmicky LCD display, and a remote. Newegg has more pictures. PM me if you're interested.
I'd completely written off Antec because their site doesn't work. Like, I click that Antec link and it goes to the "choose your country" page, which is fine, but then it sends me to store.antec.com and not to the product page. And once I've got the correct country cookie set, clicking that link again takes me to an error page. I just assumed they'd gone out of business.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
subjective anecdote, but I had that Antec case or perhaps an earlier version of it and was not a big fan. Had a lot of trouble fitting video cards, and the LCD thing never really worked right and was a giant pain in the rear end. I ended up just leaving it disconnected.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I also had trouble with their site until I found the magic search query that linked me to a stable page that had the relevant product/support information, but that was the one I linked. Such a terrible website.

I also disconnected the LCD, but only because I didn't care to see the time, date, and temperature all the time. You're right that longer cards have clearance issues, but it's not something a dremel can't solve; the part of the front panel partition that interferes isn't structural IIRC.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Write to them. Antec has great support if you actually speak to someone. They've helped me many times with PSUs and Cases via e-mail.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Curiosity, if you’re looking for non-functional parts, what search terms do you use?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Curiosity, if you’re looking for non-functional parts, what search terms do you use?

On ebay I usually look at auctions that are "for parts or repair."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think i'm going to upgrade my gpu some time in the near future. Is there a particular date to wait for because prices will be adjusted and/or new models get released?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

double nine posted:

I think i'm going to upgrade my gpu some time in the near future. Is there a particular date to wait for because prices will be adjusted and/or new models get released?
Best bet is black friday or cyber Monday. Next gen gpu should be at least half a year away.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
How much will I be kicking myself in the future if I opt for a i7 8700 instead of the K variant?

For context, I'm looking to build my first system in almost a decade. (My current CPU is a Wolfdale core2duo.)

I've never been the type that wants to Overclock, and my primary uses would be gaming and some very light audio/video production.

I realize even without over clocking, the K has a fairly sizeable speed increase out of the box, but the scarcity of the K is getting irritating and I've been badly in need of an upgrade for a while.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Best bet is black friday or cyber Monday. Next gen gpu should be at least half a year away.

eh, I'm european. Don't think that those events make much of a dent here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

double nine posted:

Black Friday/Cyber Monday at the end of November. Expect discounts on the 1060, 1070, and 1080. Base model 1080s *might* hit $450 since their lowest price was $429 through Newegg's eBay portal.

1060s and 1070s will go quickly, since Buttcoin miners *love* scoring discounts on ~gear~ since it helps them claim better profitability.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Bosushi! posted:

How much will I be kicking myself in the future if I opt for a i7 8700 instead of the K variant?

For context, I'm looking to build my first system in almost a decade. (My current CPU is a Wolfdale core2duo.)

I've never been the type that wants to Overclock, and my primary uses would be gaming and some very light audio/video production.

I realize even without over clocking, the K has a fairly sizeable speed increase out of the box, but the scarcity of the K is getting irritating and I've been badly in need of an upgrade for a while.

If you aren't overclocking I believe the non-K is just fine. The difference out of the box isn't that significant. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on that?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

willroc7 posted:

If you aren't overclocking I believe the non-K is just fine. The difference out of the box isn't that significant. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on that?

Pretty much, but it's not like it's real hard to overclock these days either. Even if you literally don't do anything except bump the voltage up and set the multiplier you will probably get at least 4.7-4.8 GHz all-core. All-core is a big improvement over single-core turbo.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Black Friday/Cyber Monday at the end of November. Expect discounts on the 1060, 1070, and 1080. Base model 1080s *might* hit $450 since their lowest price was $429 through Newegg's eBay portal.

1060s and 1070s will go quickly, since Buttcoin miners *love* scoring discounts on ~gear~ since it helps them claim better profitability.

On one hand, core components rarely go on deep discounts on Black Friday anymore. On the other hand, Pascal is on the way out and NVIDIA/partners might be looking to clear inventories here.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Paul MaudDib posted:

On the other hand, Pascal is on the way out and NVIDIA/partners might be looking to clear inventories here.

Oh poo poo, it is?

I just bought a 1080, how long until the replacements are out then?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sniep posted:

Oh poo poo, it is?

I just bought a 1080, how long until the replacements are out then?

Probably 6 months. It's not imminent but the release cycle is mostly over at this point.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
How does this look? Again, as I mentioned in my previous post my main functions are gaming and some light audio/video production. I realize there's probably some corners I could cut here and there but I don't mind splurging a little bit for a 1080 since its been so long since my last upgrade. I'm mainly concerned that I've got good parts and there's no hidden compatibility clashes.

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($138.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($192.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($233.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($554.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($37.50 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1789.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-02 16:10 EDT-0400

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bosushi! posted:

How does this look? Again, as I mentioned in my previous post my main functions are gaming and some light audio/video production. I realize there's probably some corners I could cut here and there but I don't mind splurging a little bit for a 1080 since its been so long since my last upgrade. I'm mainly concerned that I've got good parts and there's no hidden compatibility clashes.

Move up to the 8700k if you are using that MB and Fan.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lockback posted:

Move up to the 8700k if you are using that MB and Fan.

I don't really plan on over locking. Is the stock fan enough for the non-k?

As for the MB there aren't any non-Z 370 boards as far as I know.

I'm in bad need of an upgrade and I'm frankly tired of waiting for the 8700k, which is why I'm electing for non-k.

Edit: moot point now, they both seem to be out of stock. Ooooh well.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 2, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bosushi! posted:

I don't really plan on over locking. Is the stock fan enough for the non-k?

As for the MB there aren't any non-Z 370 boards as far as I know.

I'm in bad need of an upgrade and I'm frankly tired of waiting for the 8700k, which is why I'm electing for non-k.

Stock fan should be fine, but then since the Evo is pretty cheap it isn't the end of the world to use that instead since the Evo is pretty quiet. 8700k stock is getting more and more available (Newegg had stock for an hour this morning), so I bet you could get one within a week if you sign up for alerts, but otherwise the 8700 is still a real good CPU.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Apparently my old cpu was bottlenecking even a gtx 970 badly. Games run now much better, pubg lobby& plane fps doubled, didn't notice any slowdowns and everything feels so nice. Maybe I should buy a 1080ti for that 3x perf increase. Must.. resist...

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Speaking of 8700k and new motherboards, has there been any solid recommendations around this generation of motherboards? The issues regarding the Asus Strix board have me spooked.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently my old cpu was bottlenecking even a gtx 970 badly. Games run now much better, pubg lobby& plane fps doubled, didn't notice any slowdowns and everything feels so nice. Maybe I should buy a 1080ti for that 3x perf increase. Must.. resist...

What did you upgrade from and to?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Dreissi posted:

Speaking of 8700k and new motherboards, has there been any solid recommendations around this generation of motherboards? The issues regarding the Asus Strix board have me spooked.

I have the ASRock Z370 Extreme4 that works well. ASRock has released v1.1 BIOS updates to fix vcore issues on their boards and the 12 power phases of the Extreme4 do a quite a good job with managing the heat. That being said, I've had this system for 1 day and haven't pushed it to its limits yet.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty much, but it's not like it's real hard to overclock these days either. Even if you literally don't do anything except bump the voltage up and set the multiplier you will probably get at least 4.7-4.8 GHz all-core. All-core is a big improvement over single-core turbo.

On one hand, core components rarely go on deep discounts on Black Friday anymore. On the other hand, Pascal is on the way out and NVIDIA/partners might be looking to clear inventories here.

From what I can tell, PC stuff rarely gets discounts anymore and even if they do the savings are meager at best. The best time to buy next-gen anything is ASAP after the scalping dies down.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Probably 6 months. It's not imminent but the release cycle is mostly over at this point.

nVidia's in no hurry. I was thinking they'd have high-end Volta out to tempt early 970/980 adopters since most first-run cards went off warranty in September/October.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

willroc7 posted:

What did you upgrade from and to?

3.5GHz i7 920 to 4.7GHz 8700K. That is uh 1st generation core? While 8700K is 8th.. so yeah. I just didn't want to "sidegrade" from a 4core to a 4core.

Volta isn't that far away though, I should wait for that. Or buy an used 1080ti if the prices drop enough after Volta is released. GPU's are very expensive now compared to what they were a few years ago.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Looking to hopefully start ordering this in about a month.

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming + Unity/Visual Studio work.
  • What's your budget? 2k~ tower, 3.5k~ with monitors/misc
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Unity & Visual Studio primarily.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Ultra and smooth 60~FPS with current high end titles. 1440's listed here since it seems like 4k@60 isn't doable with a 1080 even. The LG 34UC89G-B Ultrawide G-Sync monitor is also something I'm considering, runs at 2560x1080.

The motherboard/RAM/GPU/CPU cooler are the things that concern me the most.
Motherboard doesn't seem to have built in bluetooth, so I threw in an adapter. We've also got the Vdroop problems with the more recommended boards that had me concerned. Though it sounds like maybe the Z370-E got that fixed?
Cooler is what I use in my current system, but not sure if there is a better/quieter one to use overly.
RAM seemed to fit the advice in the thread recently, but not sure if I missed something obvious there.
GPU just not sure if there is a better specific model I should be aiming for. Usually go EVGA, but they're not recommended right now I guess?

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($399.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($298.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($133.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card ($499.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($20.49 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($20.49 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft - Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard For Business Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($59.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G703 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse ($92.90 @ Amazon)
Other: Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter (Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Raspberry Pi, Linux Compatible; Classic Bluetooth, and Stereo Headset Compatible) ($14.95 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Other: Xbox Wireless Controller - Black ($49.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Other: AmazonBasics Dual Side-by-Side Monitor Display Mounting Arm ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Other: HP K7C09A8#ABA Z27n 27'' 1440p Quad HD LED-Backlit LCD Monitor, Black ($447.63 @ Amazon)
Other: HP K7C09A8#ABA Z27n 27'' 1440p Quad HD LED-Backlit LCD Monitor, Black ($447.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $3442.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-03 02:45 EDT-0400

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If you have a budget that large why not get a 1080 Ti? That would be powerful enough for 4k as well if you so desired.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Because the OP is older and I wasn't thinking about it and just used the higher end link there!
Does seem like it's comparable boost in performance for the boost in price.
Open to thoughts on specific models if there is any really great ones, or specific ones to avoid still though. Thanks!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If you're sticking with 1440 the 1080 is powerful enough, in fact it would be slightly wasted with that current config because those monitors are 60Hz and the 1080 is capable of higher. If you wanted to do 4k@60 or 1440@144 though then the 1080 Ti is the way to go. For either the 1080 or the 1080 Ti the recommended cards are the Asus STRIX, MSI Gaming X, or one of the many and confusing model names of EVGA open cooler cards (ACX, FTW, SC, iCX).

Also the 8700k is an overclockable chip, if you're using the machine for serious work you'll want to avoid overclocking in which case you can just get a 8700 which is a bit cheaper.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 3, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also get m.2 ssd like 960 evo or pro. Why not two. They are a lot faster than regular sata ssd's.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Drop the hideously expensive $250 mobo and you will and can get the 1080 Ti, it's a no brainer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for suggestions for a heat-sink / fans for a micro-ATX build, gonna be using a i7-7700. I want it to be as quiet as possible. Any suggestions?

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thermalright hr-02 with included fan is good. 45-50€ in Europe. It's a big bastard though so will it fit your case? You can find the size diagram from their webpage.