Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Bloop posted:

Why the gently caress does this make more sense than every door in a neighborhood of identical houses?

Are you spending a lot of time in the hallway? I honestly can't imagine why you'd care unless it was the aforementioned big purple dick or something.

dont slander my door friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but I hate that attitude.

I don't have kids and probably never will, but I don't *hate* them. When I was getting my fence repaired, I had to put some chicken wire up to keep my dogs on the property. My dogs formed a bromance with the kids next door. Now the fence is replaced the kids constantly, on purpose/accident get balls in my yard when the dogs are out.

Of course, I told them they were more than welcome if their parents were cool, but not to be too rough with the little one and stay cautious of big one because it's a 100lbs of clumsy dog that knocks me over at times. I meant that as "go through the gate and make sure it stays latched". Those little shits took it as "climb over newly repaired fence and drop into yard".

Which is fine. Because they're kids. And they do kid things. If at times they get a little loud or annoying, that's fine too. Because they're kids.

I should have linked this. http://arresteddevelopment.wikia.com/wiki/Milford_School

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Bloop posted:

Why the gently caress does this make more sense than every door in a neighborhood of identical houses?

Are you spending a lot of time in the hallway? I honestly can't imagine why you'd care unless it was the aforementioned big purple dick or something.
I don't purport to have an airtight logical defense, but in my head, houses are, you know, separate from eachother. I would never consider what color my neighbor's house was before painting my own, you know? I'm not trying coordinate with other, distinct structures that I don't own.

But a hallway in my own home, with multiple doors in it? My brain would demand those doors all be the same color. I'm no interior designer, so maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like it would look odd. And my feelings about my own hallway would transfer to the common hallway of the building I live in.

I mean, I wouldn't be enough of an rear end in a top hat to fine people over their purple penis door, but I *get it*.

Essentially, a hallway is a room. The elements of a room should match. A neighborhood is not a room. Go buck wild.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 2, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You gotta let the kid cover his door in weed stickers so the cool guys know where to go

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

moist turtleneck posted:

You gotta let the kid cover his door in weed stickers so the cool guys know where to go

I get the sentiment, but I just can't picture any of us having cool children.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I don't mind having kids playing in the front yard of my townhouse. Usually they don't bother me other than giant chalk pictures that aren't realistic at all, except for one neighbor's kids. They would let their one and two year olds run around in the front yard naked all weekend long. I eventually brought it up at the HOA meeting when it was wrapping up. The HOA sent a letter to everyone saying that maybe try keeping your kids clothes on when they are playing in the front yard. The parents went around to every unit and demanded to know who complained then got in my face when I said that I had a problem with it. "Do you know how difficult it is to keep a diaper on a little kid?" It's not like we don't have backyards either, they just wanted to sit and socialize while the kids ran around.

They ended up moving out a couple months later and things are back to being quiet.

But the HOA was pretty useless. Dues were $275 a month for the lawns being mowed and water for the sprinklers. And the month that I sold my unit they decided to do a special assessment for all the units of $7500 to repair the stucco, paint the units, and fix some termite damage.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 2, 2017

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

diremonk posted:

"Do you know how difficult it is to keep a diaper on a little kid?"

:what: I have a three year old and a two year old and I have no problem keeping their diapers on. Have I let them run around naked? Yes, but I generally don't.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

D34THROW posted:

Oh, this reminds me of my twat of a neighbor.

I have three small kids and we played out on the porch all day during most of the summer. My neighbor to the right (as you face the house) had a fence put in A FOOT BACK from the property line.

Do you think her lawn guys mow that extra bit of grass? No, they let it get wild and overgrown and a habitat for the black racer that likes to hang out between those houses. It got nearly a foot and a half high before our lawn guys decided gently caress it, they'd cut that too so my kids could play in the yard.

The ONLY time I wished for an HOA was when I saw the snake slithering around there when my kids wanted to play in the yard.

I would have just mowed it when I mowed my lawn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gounads posted:

I would have just mowed it when I mowed my lawn.

With enough effort you can claim that property as your own.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Tunicate posted:

There's nothing in America as contentious as a property line dispute.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The correct play is to get a prospector and then find care ordinances to get them fined a bunch by the municipality or plant a bunch of plants that will damage the fence.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

frozenphil posted:

The neighborhood I grew up in was governed by a HOA. My family bought our house before the neighborhood was done and the HOA was a thing so we never signed on to the HOA and were exempt. This did not stop the HOA from trying to enforce their rules on us. My favorite was when they came into our fenced in backyard to take pictures of an "illegal" shed that could not be seen unless you were in the backyard. We went to the meeting as asked for all of the information they had on our shed to include pictures, names of the person or persons who took the pictures, etc... so that we could fill out our police report for trespass. The HOA tried to drop the issue because they realized they had implicated themselves in a criminal act, but my parents kept pushing the issue because at this point it had been years of harassment over many different petty things. The HOA eventually lost in court and was fined enough that they had to dissolve the HOA. We got a letter from the HOA the day they were dissolved telling us we had to replace our grass with a HOA approved variety or face fines, including pictures of the grass in our backyard.

My God do I love this. It not only is a victory over nosy bullshit, but ties it off with an illustration of how petty, asinine, and resistant to learning from mistakes an HOA can be. Seriously, you're getting sued for trying to enforce rules that don't apply by trespassing, so you do it AGAIN on your way out the door. Amazing.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tunicate posted:

I have a notarized letter permanently attached to the deed to my house stating that I own a roughly 3' strip of my neighbor's driveway. poo poo's gonna be hilarious if they don't stop letting their dog crap in my back yard and I put a fence down the property line.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

D34THROW posted:

Oh, this reminds me of my twat of a neighbor.

I have three small kids and we played out on the porch all day during most of the summer. My neighbor to the right (as you face the house) had a fence put in A FOOT BACK from the property line.

Do you think her lawn guys mow that extra bit of grass? No, they let it get wild and overgrown and a habitat for the black racer that likes to hang out between those houses. It got nearly a foot and a half high before our lawn guys decided gently caress it, they'd cut that too so my kids could play in the yard.

The ONLY time I wished for an HOA was when I saw the snake slithering around there when my kids wanted to play in the yard.

If your kids get bitten by a harmless, non-venomous snake that will just teach them to leave snakes the gently caress alone. You'll be out a bandaid and some neosporin. Snakes deserve homes too, mang, and I'd much rather the snake than a shitload of chipmunks undermining my foundation with their burrows.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's amazing how many people cannot internalize the fundamental distinction between "I have opinions about how my neighbors should style their homes" and "I will enforce my opinions on my neighbors on threat of fines and litigation if they do not want to conform to my opinions about how they should style their homes."

The former is just having taste; the latter is an intolerable invasion of their freedom. You do not have a right to a specific property value. Make your own home nice and if you really don't like what your neighbors are doing, talk to them about it and then accept that it's ultimately their decision.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i was thinking about one of those dancy dudes they use by car lots and stuff.

but only a big dick.

but only where the neighbor i hate can see it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

sneakyfrog posted:

i was thinking about one of those dancy dudes they use by car lots and stuff.

but only a big dick.

but only where the neighbor i hate can see it.

Not exactly the same, but Man Buys House Next To Ex-Wife, Erects Middle Finger Statue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tasteful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Bloop posted:

I’d live across the hall from whoever has a giant purple dick on their door, and high five them every time I passed them in the hallway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

I’d live across the hall from whoever has a giant purple dick on their door, and high five them every time I passed them in the hallway.

I would rub their door for good luck.

You know, like people do with this dog:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This has been my experience as well. I would honestly prefer to live somewhere where the neighbors can put cars up on blocks or plant veggies in their front yard, rather than somewhere where the houses are all painted the same set of 4 variations on beige, and every yard has the same combination of grass, shrubs, and one small tree.

I'm sure HOAs can be good, especially if you aren't interested in caring for the exterior of your house, but if you buy into an HOA, you're ceding power to an authority that can be unbelievably petty, and pretty much the only ways to fix it are either to leave, or to descend into neighborhood politics

If you live in a functional municipality there are already bylaws against having derelict cars on the lawn, trash piling up, 40 scraggly cats, or other genuine eyesores or health and safety hazards. So you can have reasonable freedom without any real downside. It's great.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

I would rub their door for good luck.

You know, like people do with this dog:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Been way too long since MMH has graced this thread. Look at these glorious houses:

and this bathroom with Dixie cup-inspired tiling that I unironically love

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you live in a functional municipality there are already bylaws

Enforceable municipal codes. Not bylaws. Legally binding.

Most likely they have adopted the IPMC: http://wspmn.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1863

This is because codes are super expensive to develop and the "I-Codes" are kinda the default. The I-PMC is basically a throw in with your already-purchased building, mechanical and fire code.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Magnus Praeda posted:

I have a notarized letter permanently attached to the deed to my house stating that I own a roughly 3' strip of my neighbor's driveway. poo poo's gonna be hilarious if they don't stop letting their dog crap in my back yard and I put a fence down the property line.
Does the notarized letter specifically state the neighbor has limited use of the strip of land to prevent it being seized through adverse possession?

i.e. Give written permission to someone to use your land, and get their written acknowledgement. For example, you could give someone permission to park on your land, use a shortcut across your property, or to garden or grow crops. This can not only defeat adverse possession claims, but also a claim to an easement (use permit) across your property.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/adverse-possession-trespassers-become-owners-46934.html

I've had issues with wells being drilled on my land and had to setup $1 lifetime leases to ensure the land doesn't get taken when the offending neighbor sells their property. Things like not have a well or a driveway when you are trying to sell can scare off potential buyers. And if the person selling isn't the neighbor you got along with great (bank or heir, for example)--people can try to pull some slimy crap.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Youth Decay posted:

and this bathroom with Dixie cup-inspired tiling that I unironically love

That tile job is amazing and is the 90s'est thing ever

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

HycoCam posted:

Does the notarized letter specifically state the neighbor has limited use of the strip of land to prevent it being seized through adverse possession?

i.e. Give written permission to someone to use your land, and get their written acknowledgement. For example, you could give someone permission to park on your land, use a shortcut across your property, or to garden or grow crops. This can not only defeat adverse possession claims, but also a claim to an easement (use permit) across your property.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/adverse-possession-trespassers-become-owners-46934.html

I've had issues with wells being drilled on my land and had to setup $1 lifetime leases to ensure the land doesn't get taken when the offending neighbor sells their property. Things like not have a well or a driveway when you are trying to sell can scare off potential buyers. And if the person selling isn't the neighbor you got along with great (bank or heir, for example)--people can try to pull some slimy crap.

gently caress it, it's time to get serious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I had to image search this, because I forgot the story. From an Austin subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/1qcjz5/this_is_how_property_line_disputes_are_resolved/

quote:

The red house is (or was) a daycare. Neighbor to the right (who built the fence) owns the three adjoining properties and wanted to buy the daycare which was for sale to combine all four properties. Daycare encroaches on buyer property so buyer wanted a better price. Daycare said no so neighbor upped the ante and installed this fence, quickly and quietly on a Sunday.
UPDATE: Sorry, not a very exciting conclusion. They got one car to fit in there to park, the other usual cars are parked on the street. No there was no screaming, nobody tore down the fence in a fit of rage and no shots fired. Just business as usual. This may become just another weird East Austin thing to look at.

Spite fences/buildings fascinate me.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*HOA chat*

My in-laws lived in a retirement commmunity in Ocala, FL: Oak Run (they have both shuffled off their mortal coils)

They had an HOA nazi, who cited eveyone who had a flamingo lawn ornamament (a plastic flamingo with wire legs).

One Christmas Eve, a poo poo-ton of pissed-off residents got together, and at midnight, put 50-60 flamingoes on her front lawn; took flash photos, & turned her in.

It was bad enough that all of the mailboxes had to be just-so, and that houses could only be earth-toned.

Don't push people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I’d wreck my side of the driveway and bill the neighbour for the cost of doing so.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Then I sure hope your HOA doesn't have rules about the condition of your driveway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Then I sure hope your HOA doesn't have rules about the condition of your driveway.

“What driveway?”

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The BF just told me our neighborhood has an HOA, and there's a busybody who likes going around taking photos of things that are out of line. Well poo poo.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Reddit really likes their baby ladders.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Reddit? So the pony toys are for the builder, not the kid, then?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Slightly related to crappy construction and trying to save it: if you have a kidde fire extinguisher you may want to check out the recall of over 40 million of them: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and .

We bought all our fire extinguishers for the house from Menards and every one was part of it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Hood vent question related to crappy construction: Our range hood is a remote unit, and never really worked -- just one more thing on the to-do list. As it turns out, the guy who renovated the place built an enclosure and wired up a motor in a totally non-standard fashion, which is likely why it failed. Are there remote hood motors that are not paired with specific hoods, or am I going to have to replace the entire range hood?

Man, do I ever want to hunt this dude down and throttle him sometimes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Proteus Jones posted:

Which is fine. Because they're kids. And they do kid things. If at times they get a little loud or annoying, that's fine too. Because they're kids.

I'm with you right up until last week at my apartment complex, which was 'bored kids throwing rocks around the parking lot'. Of course the complex management has no idea who they are and is utterly uninterested.

I can't wait to move.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm with you right up until last week at my apartment complex, which was 'bored kids throwing rocks around the parking lot'. Of course the complex management has no idea who they are and is utterly uninterested.

I can't wait to move.

Why would you call the property manager? If kids are throwing rocks in such a way that it might cause property damage, you call the cops to come scare the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hood vent question related to crappy construction: Our range hood is a remote unit, and never really worked -- just one more thing on the to-do list. As it turns out, the guy who renovated the place built an enclosure and wired up a motor in a totally non-standard fashion, which is likely why it failed. Are there remote hood motors that are not paired with specific hoods, or am I going to have to replace the entire range hood?

Man, do I ever want to hunt this dude down and throttle him sometimes.

Remote meaning you have an inline fan connected to the exhaust duct right? I would think you could get a replacement motor without having to change the whole fan or hood. Could you take a picture?