Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

the Insane Piano posted:

CAn you explain that to me.

Hayes went to Harvard and did the Lampoon and all that and Sean went to UCB, right place right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the joke is that Hayes is lording his Harvard education over Sean because of the prestige nature of it, and in reality Sean is just as successful despite spending hundreds of thousands of dollars less and just taking goof-em-up classes at silly school.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, the joke is that Hayes is lording his Harvard education over Sean because of the prestige nature of it, and in reality Sean is just as successful despite spending hundreds of thousands of dollars less and just taking goof-em-up classes at silly school.

It's always seemed weird that the Harvard thing has such a presence in comedy. I know it's purely about rich-guy connections but on its face it looks like you need an Ivy degree to write dick jokes for terrible sitcoms.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
drat imagine how powerful someone who both went to Harvard and took classes at the UCB would be🙃

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

It's always seemed weird that the Harvard thing has such a presence in comedy. I know it's purely about rich-guy connections but on its face it looks like you need an Ivy degree to write dick jokes for terrible sitcoms.

i blame the simpsons and snl

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Drunkboxer posted:

Being smart usually does make you better at stuff and smart people go there

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

is Doctor Gameshow good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I tried listening to some older episodes last year and just couldn't get into it, despite loving Jo Firestone. Maybe if I'd started from the beginning I would have understood the nuances and inside jokes more. But as it stands it felt like I was listening to bootleg audio from a stage comedy show and was a bit lost most of the time. Maybe the format has updated for Earwolf?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Unlike Sean, Hayes has a Wikipedia page and is a showrunner, so maybe going to Harvard was worth it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

And don't forget the sweet $2500 2nd place prize

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Unlike Sean, Hayes has a Wikipedia page and is a showrunner, so maybe going to Harvard was worth it.

Nah

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Sinteres posted:

It's impossible to know without seeing both of their bank balances & photos of their homes and wives. But heres what we do know: they're both doing worse than UCB & Harvard Alum BJ Novak, going to show that while the jury is still out on which is better, true success in comedy requires both.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I always wondered "How did BJ Novak manage to finagle his way into a production credit on The Office AND secure an acting credit alongside the series' leads when his character had like 90 seconds an episode at best"

Now I know: The Power Combo

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I always wondered "How did BJ Novak manage to finagle his way into a production credit on The Office AND secure an acting credit alongside the series' leads when his character had like 90 seconds an episode at best"

Now I know: The Power Combo

It seems like Harvard can secure you the coveted Wikipedia page, but Novak's is a lot longer than Hayes'. I think you may be on to something.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

The Berzerker posted:

is Doctor Gameshow good

I have only listened to the first episode. It was all over the place. The games were stupid. The riffing was way better with Jo trying to keep everything moving along but failing miserably. Manolo's Rhyming Ring song had me laughing out loud though.

Oh....and I'm sure I've mentioned it before.....but Mission to Zyxx continues to be very good. It's like a new age Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in podcast format.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's impossible to know without seeing both of their bank balances & photos of their homes and wives. But heres what we do know: they're both doing worse than UCB & Harvard Alum BJ Novak, going to show that while the jury is still out on which is better, true success in comedy requires both.

No way, Conan is rich af and he's just a Harvard guy. Hayes just didn't hang out with the right crew to get on that Simpsons gig, he was on family guy instead

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Conan got his break before the UCB had classes, he snuck in under the wire.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sometimes I think Hayes could use his Harvard degree to run for office since he tweets about politics all the time now, but then I remember he and Sean have been recorded defending pedophilia multiple times. Obviously it was a bit, but I don't think most people have much of a sense of humor about that.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Edit: Removed question since I figured out my problem with stitcher premium. It’s still total garbage, but it kind of works now.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 4, 2017

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
It was a good I4H line up this week, Dan Lippert, Drew Tarver and Betsy Sodaro. It was a musical guest ep too for all of the people that dislike those.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Great episode, but probably the worst drat musical guest he's ever had. Besser's got a truly awful taste in music.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I liked the musical guest. Not his music, mind you, that wasn't to my taste, but he was a pretty chill dude. Great ep though, really missed Betsy on the show. And Drew and Dan are always amazing. I know people (like myself) like to hate on I4H, but it's had a pretty drat good year.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I think most of the musical guests he has on are fine as musicians but idk why he's spent years trying to get good comedic improv scenes from acoustic versions of songs about your mother dying.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think maybe he just likes meeting the musicians he listens to (and supporting them with the I4H bump??? if that exists)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 4, 2017

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it makes for a nice variety show

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ArtVandelay posted:

Great episode, but probably the worst drat musical guest he's ever had. Besser's got a truly awful taste in music.

I usually just skip through the music. It doesn't bother me too much since it commonly sets up some decent scenes. And the musical guest this week wasn't THAT bad. The music wasn't bad at all. Some of it I actually liked. However.....the lyrics were stupid and the dude had an unpleasant singing voice.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Work Friend Keven posted:

acoustic versions of songs about your mother dying.

"So what's that about"

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
"She's got a slammin' set of friggin' salmon upstairs." - Sean Clements, 2017

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The James Bonding boys poo poo on Red Letter Media a bit this week and it made me laugh.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The James Bonding boys poo poo on Red Letter Media a bit this week and it made me laugh.
Have a timestamp or a general idea of when it happened during the ep? I haven't listened since the reboot, and I've been waiting for the backlog to build up a bit before returning to the show. I love them RLM boys though, and I'm curious what they had to say.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Honestly, I don't. I listened to the pod while driving, I'd say it's in the first 40 minutes. It wasn't even a huge zinger or anything Matt Mira just mentions off hand to listen to red letter medias review of something, then Matt Gourley and the guest start making fun of em.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Malcolm Excellent posted:

They weren't making GBS threads on them? I think Gourley was just doing a Mr Plinkett impression after Mira brough up star trek nemesis

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That Lapkus/Gabrus podcast starts today if anyone missed it

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-first-one/

I haven't listened yet but it's about 90s TV I guess

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But 90s pop culture is awful :smith:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

But 90s pop culture is awful :smith:

Your name is from a piece of 90's pop culture

edit: my bad, it's from '87.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Is the PFT/Aukerman/Lapkus podcast still happening?

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
where'd you hear about that?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The James Bonding thing happens 31 minutes in, and its really not a roast.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/6ovgd4/scott_lauren_pft_are_creating_a_new_podcast/

I never listened to the recording (if there even is a recording), but it was allegedly announced during a panel at Comic-Con. Scott also allegedly said during a SF Sketchfest Q&A earlier this year that harpist/indie-music-darling Joanna Newsom was set to be the new bandleader when Reggie left CBBtv, but her touring schedule at the time prevented it from happening. That Q&A session was not recorded, and the tidbit has never been confirmed elsewhere. Joanna is married to Andy Samberg and has done cameos in a few different comedy projects, but it's generally tough to tell from audience recollections of a live event whether or not things Scott say in the moment are bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Your name is from a piece of 90's pop culture

edit: my bad, it's from '87.

Wait. What's my name from? Some dude said it in a chatroom when I was 13 and I assumed it totally random. This is rocking my worldview.