Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Parachute posted:

that album is iskra's magnum fuckin opus. the production is incredible and i was so happy to learn they just have the one female singer instead of the 2 vocalist setup like they did a few years back.

edit: theyre like the perfect example of a modern crust band mixing with black metal/thrash imo

Yeah it's a great album, I had never heard of them before and only found them by accident via a bandcamp local artists search or something.

I played the poo poo out of it for months then completely forgot about it until this page of posts. So, thanks for reminding me guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I don't like much crust but it turns out a little blackening was all it needed, that Iskra album is great. Though I can't really hear the crust in it anyway.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anything related to crust makes me zzzz nowadays but Iskra is pretty sick

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anything related to crust makes me jizzzz nowadays so I'm looking forward to that Iskra

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
First single for the new Harakiri for the Sky who won me over despite the dumb name with their last album "Trauma".

Tomb Omnia from the new album "Arson": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4V5Yb3oARw

You can pre-order from their label website but it is a pretty confusing mess unless you can read German. You can switch to English but that only works for the shop itself/picking items, when you go to "checkout" everything is in German again so it was supremely annoying having to use Google Translate manually in another tab to figure out if I was loving up the address input etc.

There's a pretty good mini-review on Stereogum: https://www.stereogum.com/1969579/harakiri-for-the-sky-tomb-omnia/premiere/

If you've never listened to them this is an apt a description as anything I suppose:

"Their songs are expansive and encompassing, but built around Maiden-esque lead lines and monster riffs: major-chord progressions that climb like the Himalayas. For the purposes of our conversation, I’m gonna file them under post-metal: You’d be safe comparing them to bands like Deafheaven, Envy, or Alcest, and if you like those bands, you’ll like Harakiri, too. But if I were being a rigid taxonomist, I’d say that Harakiri are an extension of an old microgenre called “depressive suicidal black metal,” best exemplified (IMHO) by the Australian act Woods Of Desolation."

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I've been ignoring local Iskra shows all these years. They're pretty fuckin' cool.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

My friend made me a CD of Skid Row songs, and I've had it playing in my car for a couple of days.

They are pretty good imo.

Help. I am getting sucked into 80's hair metal.

Where do I go from here?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Malaria posted:

My friend made me a CD of Skid Row songs, and I've had it playing in my car for a couple of days.

Where do I go from here?

Motley Crue's first album is fantastic.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

We Are Sexual Perverts

littlemac6x
Aug 25, 2005
I'm digging the new cannibal corpse, I've also been jamming the newish darkest hour album which really surprised me with it's quality.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

Back then I used to think that Skid Row was possibly the best band of that type, and almost 30 years later I think I was probably right about that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?
Europe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZVqBaRas5I

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

Whitesnake and Dokken

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

saviro posted:

Whitesnake and Dokken

Unironically this. 1987 and Slip of the Tongue are good starts for Whitesnake and you can't go wrong with Back for the Attack from Dokken.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

Concept albums

Operation Mindcrime and The Crimson Idol stat.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyrBMNqD3w8

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N50W9VLjL3E

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thanks for the recommendations! I can't believe I am listening to 80s hair metal in 2017. I basically skipped this entire genre because I hated it as a kid when it was popular.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Malaria posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! I can't believe I am listening to 80s hair metal in 2017. I basically skipped this entire genre because I hated it as a kid when it was popular.

The good thing about this is that you can skip all the poo poo and just check out the stuff that was good enough for people to remember it 30 years later.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sFimpwK8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0d_1U_GgE

also the first couple metal massacre comps have some good hair farmer material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB049YZ9jC8

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Malaria posted:

Where do I go from here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LCfCi_mgpo

Also pretty much everyone suggestions so far are good. I'm not a huge hair metal fan in general, but I recently found Crazy Lixx and it's everything I love about hair metal.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this was on toiletovhell the other day and i'm at a loss as to why this is still a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqtrjML1XCI

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

this is a obnoxious post

i am leaving the house to go see discharge motherfuckers!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
The new Cannibal Corpse album has an absolutely crushing sound to it. My god.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

gently caress I can’t wait to listen to that. Those guys are going to be in their 60s and still completely crushing I swear.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I would describe the album's sound as very "cannibal corpse."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Between revisiting this and hearing that recent Scour record, I keep finding myself impressed at Anselmo's range as a musician beyond the meatheaded vocal poo poo he's been doing for almost his entire career with Pantera, Down, and Superjoint

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress I can’t wait to listen to that. Those guys are going to be in their 60s and still completely crushing I swear.

Its up, unless you meant -properly- listening to it :)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

I would describe the album's sound as very "cannibal corpse."

true, true...but in terms of production it sounds a lot more raw and "live" to me than previous ones. Not in the sense of a lovely-sounding live album, but like I'm there listening to them in person. It's a great mix.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

true, true...but in terms of production it sounds a lot more raw and "live" to me than previous ones. Not in the sense of a lovely-sounding live album, but like I'm there listening to them in person. It's a great mix.

Agreed. The production is perfect. Overall I do really like the album (listening to it as I type this). But yeah, it's a CC album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Pat's the only band member over 50 and just barely, unless you're talking about what they're gonna be doing 15 years from now and I totally misunderstood

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vulture Culture posted:

Pat's the only band member over 50 and just barely, unless you're talking about what they're gonna be doing 15 years from now and I totally misunderstood

The latter. The band ages well and they’ve done a great job avoiding poo poo albums without jumping the shark and trying to be what they’re not.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Its up, unless you meant -properly- listening to it :)

Yeah I didn’t realize it was out yet. Listened to half of it and yup it completely rips as expected.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah the guitars have that modern death metal sound to them and they're really clear in the mix, but at the same time they sound raw as hell, like there's an HM2 sitting low in the mix somewhere. It rules.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Nose ring and an Archgoat shirt with the sleeves cut, get at me at this cannibal corpse show.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Finally got around to listening to Atonement. Immolation just can't put out a bad album can they?

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004
The Cattle Decapitation/Full of Hell/Revocation/Artificial Brain show last night was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Highly recommend if they're coming through.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I know I have done nothing but gush about Enslaved for about the last 20 years but I just got my copy of their latest on green vinyl with a signed card that I framed and I'm listening to Axis of the Worlds, this poo poo really owns. Also, just got Urn by Ne O on vinyl as well. Going to pop that open and play it after work.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I always say the same about Nile. Hell, old man Karl is already like 54.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

GWAR was in town on Friday with US Bastards, Doyle, and Ghoul. Third time seeing them. All the opening acts were pretty good. US Bastards had a tribute to Lemmy and played "Killed By Death" which was awesome. I felt like we were watching an exhibition of early 2000's goth fashion with Doyle (I dug the swole shirtless dude with the skull makeup) but they were fun and fittingly phallic. Ghoul was a good time, was like GWAR-lite and I dug another act that involved props and characters n poo poo. Didn't realize they've made five albums already but they definitely killed it.

Michael Bishop feels like he's coming into his own as lead singer now. It was good hearing him on Blood of the Gods to get his own identity as a vocalist and the set definitely felt more comfortable with some of his own tracks to play. The gore effect for Dickie Duncan is hilarious and I love that the players' inside arms are dressed up as intestines or whatever (his number and El Presidente were two of the highlights, with Herr Cheeto sumo wrestling with Bonesnapper during the latter). Bonesnapper was messing with the security again by bonking them with nukes which is always great. It was cool that they used an instrumental of "Morality Squad" for their fight with Sawborg, gives those older tracks more versatility. "Phantom Limb" is such a badass and touching tribute to Brockie, feels a lot more resonant than their People Who Died cover.

Good poo poo. I'm definitely looking into Ghoul now.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ghoul are fun as hell, like all Ross Sewage endeavors. Check out Splatterthrash.