Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
several of the junctions unlock quests as well as the starmap, so they are definitely worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
few 25 rounds in hydron with all un leveled stuff will get your mastery up super quick.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

few 25 rounds in hydron with all un leveled stuff will get your mastery up super quick.
Is there a way to 4frame hydron? If not, the void D map is still sweet with mesa+speed nova for a long time. It's real fast too to clear waves.

Hydron has the most obnoxious map layout for not just ability spamming.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 2, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's called "catch Tallgeese while he happens to be around, carry corpro".

You're welcome!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

I have a 15 mr riven, which saddens me and is going to be such a bother to get to.
i ground up for a 16 MR riven, then i ended up getting a much better 9 MR riven, which was the mastery rank I was when I started the grind :eng99:

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Does this apply even if you already have a bunch of stuff unlocked prior to the new chart? I got grandfathered in but I have to do the junctions, depsite being able to do the worlds they unlock.

Junctions give a big chunk of mastery when you beat them (first time only) IIRC.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i ground up for a 16 MR riven, then i ended up getting a much better 9 MR riven, which was the mastery rank I was when I started the grind :eng99:

Mine's tri damage (2 elements/and a everything) -status duration galaxion things gonna die.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Goons are always running Hydron. Three runs will take poo poo from 0 to 30.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Khorne posted:

You can't actually catch up because of the lovely login reward system.

Primed Shred is gated behind it. Look, having set perks like boosters or cosmetics behind a number of days would be cool. Having one of the best mods in the game be a 600 day login reward is bullshit.

Yes, I am salty as hell that my literal years of logging in don't carry over and I was MR20 with 1 day logged in because they only count from 2015 on or something, but even if I had it that's still a really lovely thing to do to people.

Sourness aside, it's easy as hell to start warframe now. There are no longer any rare resources and you get showered with everything that was once difficult to obtain. I remember when it took over an hour to farm a control module or neural sensor and now you casually get 3+ in any mission where they're available without even really trying.

I don't mind when they do this if the mod can be gotten by other methods. But yeah it sucks that you can't get this in any way. Same thing with P Fury.

Elysiume posted:

Clearing the starchart also does mastery progress, but you'll finish the starchart long before you run out of weapons to level up. Warframes/sentinels/archwings/etc. all give mastery as well, but yeah, the vast majority of your mastery time will be leveling and dumping weapons.

Didn't know this... Never actually cleared all the starmap and I'm MR 22.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 2, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elmon posted:

Didn't know this... Never actually cleared all the starmap and I'm MR 22.
It doesn't give much. It's 1000 per junction and ~65 per mission, while weapons are 3000 and frames are 6000. Clearing every mission on the map is less mastery than leveling five weapons, and adding in the junctions brings it to around ten weapons.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Elysiume posted:

It doesn't give much. It's 1000 per junction and ~65 per mission, while weapons are 3000 and frames are 6000. Clearing every mission on the map is less mastery than leveling five weapons, and adding in the junctions brings it to around ten weapons.

I've cleared few junctions. So might as well get them and the missions out of the way. Though I think I'l continue not getting gara for now.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Elmon posted:

I don't mind when they do this if the mod can be gotten by other methods. But yeah it sucks that you can't get this in any way. Same thing with P Fury.

And then you'd get players complaining logging in everyday is meaningless because it gives you nothing special.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

wid posted:

And then you'd get players complaining logging in everyday is meaningless because it gives you nothing special.

I'd much prefer that. gently caress veteran priority. It creates a toxic environment that stops new blood in a game.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Elmon posted:

I'd much prefer that. gently caress veteran priority. It creates a toxic environment that stops new blood in a game.

We had that before. There was no veteran reward and the most you get is a slightly better random roll if you logged in 7 days straight. There was a huge outcry by "veterans". Even in this thread we had a guy complaining about the login rewards being uncatchable while at the same time complaining his many hours before the system was not appreciated.

Basically what I'm saying is there is no system that will make everyone happy. There is no such thing as "catching up" because what that means is just a way to gobble up content in a short amount of time while people who are ahead of you will always be ahead of you because they will ride the same system.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not like primed mods are anything but gross excess anyways in this game

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

wid posted:

We had that before. There was no veteran reward and the most you get is a slightly better random roll if you logged in 7 days straight. There was a huge outcry by "veterans". Even in this thread we had a guy complaining about the login rewards being uncatchable while at the same time complaining his many hours before the system was not appreciated.

Basically what I'm saying is there is no system that will make everyone happy. There is no such thing as "catching up" because what that means is just a way to gobble up content in a short amount of time while people who are ahead of you will always be ahead of you because they will ride the same system.

The only outcry I really remember with that was that 7 day rewards were actually worse than the 1-3 days. That system pushed people to not login as often if they wanted a 75% off coupon. Other than that I remember no complaining. I also don't see how we only have the old system or giving veterans items that make them have objectively better poo poo. Unobtainable by new players for another 599 days.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 3, 2017

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Just make everything tradeable.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Avulsion posted:

Just make everything tradeable.

While it sounds nice, it creates an issue with people creating accounts to farm daily rewards. At least that was their reason I'm pretty sure for making Primed Fury untradable.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It just stands out because most of the truly gated content is just cosmetic.

There's not a lot of play altering options that are locked like that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Leveling is unfun in this game. Maybe I want to shoot dudes with good guns instead of constantly running garbage on hydron just to get my next mastery rank.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Duck and Cover posted:

Leveling is unfun in this game. Maybe I want to shoot dudes with good guns instead of constantly running garbage on hydron just to get my next mastery rank.

Warframe feels like a game that is being designed with the existing, long term playerbase in mind without much regard for new players. I was hundreds of hours into the game by the time I was able to build one of the five Tigris Prime sets I had collected.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Duck and Cover posted:

I kinda disagree. I think the model for the leveling is smart and good, even if it needs some tweaking. Like MR gated gear should be unlocked by MR 10 or so in the grind, that's when it becomes a slog, and if all MR got you from then on out was just an easier time going crazy with new MR fodder and forma'd gear, or other endgame/completionist junk like rivens there'd be less bitching.

It's okay to just play the game with the guns you like and frame you like. Farm focus or mats instead, and have fun.

There's definitely a balancing act, but you don't NEED to always be farming mastery in every slot.
Heck, there are more than 3 fun frames or guns. If you never had any incentive to try new stuff you might never realize that and get burned out after you find the first few things that seem fun. Mirage and Glaive had no appeal to me, but then I made both for mastery fodder and realized how bananas having hall of mirrors and a ton of glaives bouncing everywhere while I somersault around the map is. Nor would I have tried Banshee and realized how great her fun build was if I'd only gone by seeing folks build/spam soundquake.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Coolness Averted posted:

I kinda disagree. I think the model for the leveling is smart and good, even if it needs some tweaking. Like MR gated gear should be unlocked by MR 10 or so in the grind, that's when it becomes a slog, and if all MR got you from then on out was just an easier time going crazy with new MR fodder and forma'd gear, or other endgame/completionist junk like rivens there'd be less bitching.

It's okay to just play the game with the guns you like and frame you like. Farm focus or mats instead, and have fun.

There's definitely a balancing act, but you don't NEED to always be farming mastery in every slot.
Heck, there are more than 3 fun frames or guns. If you never had any incentive to try new stuff you might never realize that and get burned out after you find the first few things that seem fun. Mirage and Glaive had no appeal to me, but then I made both for mastery fodder and realized how bananas having hall of mirrors and a ton of glaives bouncing everywhere while I somersault around the map is. Nor would I have tried Banshee and realized how great her fun build was if I'd only gone by seeing folks build/spam soundquake.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the MR gating if guns that seem baseline top tier were available earlier on. The Hek is a good example of a good early weapon, and the Vaykor manages to feel enough like a distinct side grade that I both didn't feel compelled to grind for it and still enjoy using it more than the Hek.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish having to re-level something after Forma was dead and buried. I have enough mastery trash baking in my oven, I don't want to have to visit Hydron if I can avoid it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I usually just do 15 rounds of Akaad. If you have an affinity booster and run with just the weapon you want to level, that'll usually get it done. Frames'll take a little longer.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm willing to try new things I don't like being coerced into it. Don't manipulate the player let them do what they find fun. Well go ahead and manipulate but realize some of us realize what's being done and dislike it. (not that it has no effect on me) The game is shallow it is using constant carrots in an attempt to make up for that fact. Also gently caress games time gating me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm willing to try new things I don't like being coerced into it. Don't manipulate the player let them do what they find fun. Well go ahead and manipulate but realize some of us realize what's being done and dislike it. (not that it has no effect on me) The game is shallow it is using constant carrots in an attempt to make up for that fact. Also gently caress games time gating me.

You're in the wrong genre, friend.

Also the problem with the MR system is mostly that they need to do a comprehensive balance pass and rearrange the weapons into intentional tiers. MR = power is a new development and old weapons and MR requirements don't reflect it well.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

You're in the wrong genre, friend.

Also the problem with the MR system is mostly that they need to do a comprehensive balance pass and rearrange the weapons into intentional tiers. MR = power is a new development and old weapons and MR requirements don't reflect it well.

The genre is shooty man, just because it has the f2p taint doesn't mean there's no fun to be had. Oh and games be they free or not have f2p garbage (and unnecessary rpg mechanics) these days it's just the way it is.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 3, 2017

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

The genre is shooty man, just because it has the f2p taint doesn't mean there's no fun to be had. Oh and games be they free or not have f2p garbage (and unnecessary rpg mechanics) these days it's just the way it is.

You know you don't really have to level your MR to max since there's barely anything there that would give you your "fun" if you already have your favorite weapons, right? Even rivens and all the login gated primed mods are not necessary since there is nothing in the game you cannot kill using the rest of the non-gated things.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wid posted:

You know you don't really have to level your MR to max since there's barely anything there that would give you your "fun" if you already have your favorite weapons, right? Even rivens and all the login gated primed mods are not necessary since there is nothing in the game you cannot kill using the rest of the non-gated things.

I got a shiny riven of course I want to try it. I'm also pretty sure I'd have stopped playing without the twitch drops due to lack of credits.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I got a shiny riven of course I want to try it. I'm also pretty sure I'd have stopped playing without the twitch drops due to lack of credits.

Just ask in clan chat for help with basically anything. Credits are super easy to get when you've got a (mostly) competent group to drag you through the index.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Just ask in clan chat for help with basically anything. Credits are super easy to get when you've got a (mostly) competent group to drag you through the index.

You seem to have the misguided belief that I'm not capable of reading and thus do not already posses this knowledge. Like I appreciate the whole helping newbies thing, but I do find it tiresome when people assume the issue stems from a lack of understanding how to do x. I do not think I would play the game given the increase of grinding caused by the lack of twitch rewards. Boosters, slots, forma/latron blueprints are kind of really nice to have.

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

But then your fun comes from "trying out this new thing". Which was your complaint about the game forcing you to try their new poo poo. You also complain about the lack of credits and then later said you know how to get credits it's just that you don't want to do it? It's like you're complaining the game is not wiping your rear end for you.

Maybe try idle RPG mobile games? I dunno man just trying to make you happy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you don't like grinding to some extent warframe is absolutely not for you. the whole game is one big grind.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

As a M24 with only Gara, Hema and Zaws unmastered my advice is just passively level one thing while you run around with your good stuff. Crack some relics, do sorties ect. Eventually you will get there, drilling down and only farming one specific thing is the way to Tallgesemadness and burnout.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

As a M24 with only Gara, Hema and Zaws unmastered my advice is just passively level one thing while you run around with your good stuff.

I'm only M15, but yeah, this is what I do. I mainly use kohm, marelok, jat, volt and helios, and then replace 1-4 of these with low rank poo poo when I want to level it, keeping at least one decent weapon equipped. Makes leveling things basically unnoticeable.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wish having to re-level something after Forma was dead and buried. I have enough mastery trash baking in my oven, I don't want to have to visit Hydron if I can avoid it.

I'd like it if an item doubled its affinity gain with each forma (w/o affecting lenses of course).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Tallgeese posted:

It's called "catch Tallgeese while he happens to be around, carry corpro".

You're welcome!

Look at this guy still carrying people through efficient grind. I go to see what's going on and same old crew, heh.

So folks, friend of mine started playing, and really started making noises about wanting to play, so I'm updating. I stopped playing... ... ... ... ... I guess sometime when the new star map came out? It's going to take me a day or two to chug through this 7+ gig update on my 1.5mbps connection, but what's changed? Is the grind still endless? Did they make getting components interesting? Is it still all prime parts and ducats and weekly anime merchant gracing us with his presence to foist some oddball hard to get item off on us? Did they finally get rid of damage mods or put a dedicated damage mod slot? Is the future of Warframe bright :allears: ?

I already told my friend to try not to grind, and embrace the flipping out murder ninja to maximize fun.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Sandweed posted:

As a M24 with only Gara, Hema and Zaws unmastered my advice is just passively level one thing while you run around with your good stuff. Crack some relics, do sorties ect. Eventually you will get there, drilling down and only farming one specific thing is the way to Tallgesemadness and burnout.

This is kinda what I do, but the opposite. I usually gear a forma'd up WMD, either my Riven juiced Amprex or Guandao, jam a maxed redirection and Vitality on a new frame, then run about in random pub Hydrons killing 50% of the poo poo. By the time I've got the frame Forma'd a few times as appropriate, I've max ranked several garbage weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BeAuMaN posted:

Look at this guy still carrying people through efficient grind. I go to see what's going on and same old crew, heh.

So folks, friend of mine started playing, and really started making noises about wanting to play, so I'm updating. I stopped playing... ... ... ... ... I guess sometime when the new star map came out? It's going to take me a day or two to chug through this 7+ gig update on my 1.5mbps connection, but what's changed? Is the grind still endless? Did they make getting components interesting? Is it still all prime parts and ducats and weekly anime merchant gracing us with his presence to foist some oddball hard to get item off on us? Did they finally get rid of damage mods or put a dedicated damage mod slot? Is the future of Warframe bright :allears: ?

I already told my friend to try not to grind, and embrace the flipping out murder ninja to maximize fun.
No. The only mod slot change is frames have a new mod slot called Exlius and it has "utility" mods except they released mods for it that aren't utility at all and you just use those instead of the utility mods they moved to exilus. Rush, loot radar, enemy radar, maglev, all those fun mods are exilus. But now you can increase aura effectiveness significantly or get 15% power strength or some other good stuff instead because the developers are one ogre with two heads.

To unlock the slot you need an exilus adapter, and generally to afford using it you need to forma a frame two or more times.

The future is bright, although the plains of eidolon kind of suck if you ask me. Not in the concept, unless the concept includes running 2500 meters across an open field, but in the execution so far. With a few minor tweaks it will be pretty cool. If you have no life at all and play warframe 18 hours per day the plains are okay I guess.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 3, 2017