Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's possible I'm overestimating the backlash from Barbara Walters not believing him/covering for hollywood. But if I was him and I had that experience, I would be incredibly careful to make sure if I was going to name names that I had the money to make sure it had some effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

It's hard to imagine what a 20 year old and a 34 year old would have in common today,

Huh? I know a very good number of people in relationships with a 10 year age gulf or more.

I keep going over it in my head and the only celeb I hold above others was John Ritter. As long as his legacy remains intact I will be fine.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Neil Patrick Harris is the celeb that would ruin me if he was outed as a creep, partially because his image as a dorky family man has done so much for gay acceptance and also because it was instrumental to the character of Barney working so well in How I Met Your Mother.

zoux posted:

What about this Corey Feldman poo poo? I mean my default is naturally to believe people who step forward but he's also seeking $10m to make a documentary about it and the pizzagate people are all up in this. He announced the name of one of his abusers on Dr. Oz.

Feldman has been pushing the "Hollywood is run by a secret cabal of pedophiles" ever since Corey Haim died, well before Pizzagate and the recent push to out predators became a thing.

The weird thing about him is that he has spent years naming names and being open about abuse but he swears that Michael Jackson is the one person who was totally innocent and wholesome with him which is just, like, what.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's pretty clear that MJ had brainwashed Feldman. I mean poo poo, he was walking around dressed like Jackson for years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So we're all in on the MJ was deffo a child molester then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

So we're all in on the MJ was deffo a child molester then.

Was that ever a question?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

Neil Patrick Harris is the celeb that would ruin me if he was outed as a creep, partially because his image as a dorky family man has done so much for gay acceptance and also because it was instrumental to the character of Barney working so well in How I Met Your Mother.

Oh jeez, yeah, that would gut me. NPH can't be a sex monster, he's too nice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Michael Jackson wasn't a child abuser. He was likely abused himself as a child and spent most of his adult years trying to recapture his childhood--there are people that theorize that, emotionally and even perhaps mentally, he remained a child into adulthood. Jackson may have even been chemically castrated, meaning that he likely never went through puberty, so he may have even remained a child physically.

The first person that came forward was full of poo poo, he drugged his son to make him say that Jackson abused him, and first tried to use that as leverage to get Jackson to make a screenwriting deal with him, then went to the police when that attempt failed. After the case was settled to get the guy to shut up, he killed himself.

The second incident is a little hairier-Jackson did sleep in the same bed as a child, but there's no evidence that anything happened. Yeah, it's a hosed up thing for an unrelated adult male to sleep in the same bed as a preteen--but in Michael's mind, it was just a sleepover between friends.

I believe Michael Jackson was innocent.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 3, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

24 Legacy and Designated Survivor were both massively disappointing. The last Kiefer Sutherland-related thing I really enjoyed was Dark City.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

It's hard to imagine what a 20 year old and a 34 year old would have in common today

I really never have understood why people say this, or things like it. When I was 20, I was into indie rock, good books and movies, video games, etc. Guess what? I still am! There are people who, when they hit 30+, stop listening to new bands or stop going to shows or whatever, but I don't understand the mindset that you're "supposed to grow out" of stuff like that. To me, it's hard to imagine age mattering at all in a relationship (as long as both people are 20+ or so and emotionally mature).

My first boyfriend was 10 years older than me, my first girlfriend was my age, my second girlfriend was 12 years older, my first wife was 6 years younger than me, my second serious girlfriend was a year older, and my current wife is 19 years younger than me - and she's more mature than the one that was a year older. I just don't care about age because it's never been a consistent indicator of anything (whether friends or romantic partners). When I was 22, a couple of my best friends were 50+; one of my best friends right now is 21.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

lelandjs posted:

I believe Michael Jackson was innocent.

You're high as gently caress. MJ was deffo a child molester. So many settlements indicate there was something there. No way was he innocent.

As for Feldman, he's always seemed like a scuzzy dude but the more I observe him over the years I think he's just kooky and desperate to be back in the limelight because his band thing, TV reality show and sequel to The Lost Boys gave off a desperation vibe. As for his molestation, gently caress dude, that's rough. No wonder he gives off weird vibes. That poo poo will gently caress you up. Poor dude. I hope he gets some justice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's amazing how successful the effort to sanitize MJ's legacy was once he kicked the bucket and couldn't harm his own product anymore.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

New show from STARZ which I've been low key following for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Bu2DOM66g

J.K. Simmons, Olivia Williams, Harry Lloyd, Ulrich Thompsons as regulars, and I'm pretty sure I saw Stephen Rea in the trailer too.

(It's basically Season 3 of Fringe, but with more cold war drama and Home Counties accents.)

wowzers!

Disappointed tho that it wasn't the dark look at Allstate Insurance I was hoping it was gonna be at first

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised, he's a notorious hound for young women.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, he's a notorious hound for young women.

You can love pussy and still respect women.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You can love pussy and still respect women.

Just saying I wouldn't be surprised.

precision posted:

I really never have understood why people say this, or things like it. When I was 20, I was into indie rock, good books and movies, video games, etc. Guess what? I still am! There are people who, when they hit 30+, stop listening to new bands or stop going to shows or whatever, but I don't understand the mindset that you're "supposed to grow out" of stuff like that. To me, it's hard to imagine age mattering at all in a relationship (as long as both people are 20+ or so and emotionally mature).

My first boyfriend was 10 years older than me, my first girlfriend was my age, my second girlfriend was 12 years older, my first wife was 6 years younger than me, my second serious girlfriend was a year older, and my current wife is 19 years younger than me - and she's more mature than the one that was a year older. I just don't care about age because it's never been a consistent indicator of anything (whether friends or romantic partners). When I was 22, a couple of my best friends were 50+; one of my best friends right now is 21.

Eh, there's plenty of evidence that people really don't stop developing mentally until their early twenties. And from the flaming wreckages of relationships I've seen between thirty somethings and early twenty-somethings, its something I tend to see borne out. It's just completely two different stages mentally, emotionally, goal-wise, you name it, for most people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Eh, there's plenty of evidence that people really don't stop developing mentally until their early twenties. And from the flaming wreckages of relationships I've seen between thirty somethings and early twenty-somethings, its something I tend to see borne out. It's just completely two different stages mentally, emotionally, goal-wise, you name it, for most people.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with that, but that's not the same thing as saying that you can't imagine what a 20 year old and a 34 year old "would have in common".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with that, but that's not the same thing as saying that you can't imagine what a 20 year old and a 34 year old "would have in common".

Yeah, okay.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Having a long itemized list of your failed relationships and all of then having a noticeable age gap seems to be a pretty good argument against them, actually.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

20 year olds tend to be really stupid

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guy Mann posted:

Having a long itemized list of your failed relationships and all of then having a noticeable age gap seems to be a pretty good argument against them, actually.

Luckily all my failed relationships were with women of all ages.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

My only argument was the concept that people with age gaps wouldn't have anything in common. I don't deny that they usually don't work out. Though in my case, only one of them "failed". The others I mentioned were either mutual and we're still friends to this day, or in the case of my first wife, because she died.

The vast majority of my failed relationships lasted less than a month, and were with people right around my own age. I specifically listed the ones with age gaps because those were the ones germaine to the argument, which, again, was just when people say "how do a 20 year old and a 34 year old have anything in common"

e: also, you're being disingenuous anyway, as you say "all of them having a noticeable age gap" when there are two on there with an age gap of less than a year. Out of 6. So fully 33% of what I said doesn't fit your narrative.

precision fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 3, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Please tell me more about your relationships in this, the e/n thread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mu Zeta posted:

20 year olds tend to be really stupid

I thought about that the yesterday. If I met 20 year old me I'd want to kick his rear end. God drat I was an insensitive selfish idiot.

I'm sure in another 10 years I'll think of 39 year old me as an insensitive selfish idiot. At least I hope so. Not evolving as a person seems really depressing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

haha

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Don't be jealous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The key word of what I said was 'today.'

I feel like that gulf is larger now than it was in the late 70s since people today are likely to be in dramatically different phases of their life from early 20s to mid-late 30s. Someone who's still in college is going to have a very different view on life than someone who has been in the workforce for 10+ years. That's not too say those relationships can't work, it. can just be challenging.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Look, I'm aware that letting people get to me and replying to them is a weakness of mine. :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
God forbid anyone contextualize their opinions on celebrity relationships with their own life experiences.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

God forbid anyone contextualize their opinions using human emotions and experiences

Ftfy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Sad news: Wayward Pines has been officially canceled by Fox.

Why even bother officially announcing it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wonder if that has anything to do with the Duffer Bros. being unavailable.

Also the thread is real bad but I just want to say I thought this season of Stranger Things was really good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

To me, it's hard to imagine age mattering at all in a relationship (as long as both people are 20+ or so and emotionally mature)

I would describe myself and the people I knew at 20 as many things, but "emotionally mature" would absolutely loving not be one of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

I would describe myself and the people I knew at 20 as many things, but "emotionally mature" would absolutely loving not be one of them.

Absolutely, it's a rare occurrence. At 20 I still thought Stabbing Westward and the Geto Boys were as good as NIN and Public Enemy, and I did poetry slam. In front of people. I even went to the Nationals because the Athens team recruited me so there's quite a lot of video out there of me being very, very drunk and stoned and yelling terrible Gen X poo poo with black goth eyeliner. It's a miracle I survived to 30.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

Absolutely, it's a rare occurrence. At 20 I still thought Stabbing Westward and the Geto Boys were as good as NIN and Public Enemy, and I did poetry slam. In front of people. I even went to the Nationals because the Athens team recruited me so there's quite a lot of video out there of me being very, very drunk and stoned and yelling terrible Gen X poo poo with black goth eyeliner. It's a miracle I survived to 30.

Gonna need to see these videos.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Wonder if that has anything to do with the Duffer Bros. being unavailable.

Also the thread is real bad but I just want to say I thought this season of Stranger Things was really good.

It definitely is and the Internet's backlash to it is really unfortunate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Post your shame.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Post your shame.

Reddit Gold here we come.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Yeah, but there are also tons of people in their 30s and 40s that aren't really emotionally mature either, so at some point, age stops being a good indicator for emotional maturity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This cast....

• Locked thread