Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why is forcing women to watch you masturbate a thing that people do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm legitimately surprised Matt Taibbi didn't show up on that list.

The 90's in Russia was insane. As long as you didn't gently caress with the rich people pillaging the country, you could do whatever the gently caress you wanted. Did Taibbi ever write a book about The eXile? It's such a bizarre paper.

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's cool that there's like actual rapists on that list and nothings going to happen to any of them because the whole thing is an extremely politicized airing of grudges at this point

Media seems like such a cesspool these days. I know the politics makes it so none of these outlets can admit they are employing bad people but hopefully it starts scaring the poo poo out of them and others.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

He used to stalk goon women and his wife once threw a coffee mug at his head for it, so that seems about right

He's a shithead but I think this wound up not being true?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

He's a shithead but I think this wound up not being true?

It came from the person he was harassing. Well, the stalking part anyways, the mug part I seem to remember being added by someone else (this was nearly a decade ago) but that's not really the important thing. He was/is a real loving creep. He even freaked me out once by tracking me down on another site and asking me about my life and all sorts of weird poo poo that I didn't feel like sharing with him, so I can't imagine what it was like to be subjected to his attention as a woman

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 29, 2017

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

he may not be a homicidal maniac but he still loving sucks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone who made their name on Helldump can't be well adjusted

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

It came from the person he was harassing. Well, the stalking part anyways, the mug part I seem to remember being added by someone else (this was nearly a decade ago) but that's not really the important thing. He was/is a real loving creep. He even freaked me out once by tracking me down on another site and asking me about my life and all sorts of weird poo poo that I didn't feel like sharing with him, so I can't imagine what it was like to be subjected to his attention as a woman

I just meant the mug thing but yeah he's a creep that wasn't meant as a defense at all

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

I just meant the mug thing but yeah he's a creep that wasn't meant as a defense at all

The mug thing is one of things that just makes a situation better from all sides so I choose to believe it from this point onwards.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is a very sad but very worthwhile read:

https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/924955300695871488

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In 2011, Joe Buck attempted to recreate Randy Moss' controversial 2005 touchdown celebration at Lambeau, with me as a stand-in for the goalpost.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Only tangentially sports related but Joe Ricketts just shut down and completely wiped the archives of DNAInfo and Gothamist plus all their sister sites because the writers voted to unionize. I don't even read those frequently but I hope he chokes on vomit.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

It's hosed up and I hope bad things happen to him, is what I have to say about that.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
http://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/11/3/16602312/blake-bortles-name-week-9-picks-mailbag-bill-simmons

This has gotta be one of the stupidest column premises I’ve ever seen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

This is badass

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Wrong, this is good

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This column is good, and true

One of Bill's best ever

EDIT: until he took shots at Gordies in hockey, that is some bullshit, Simmons

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was good Simmons .

At some point, I realized my half-assed Googling was verging on Gladwellian territory, so I called the man himself, Malcolm Gladwell.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only bad thing about that column is the presence of Gladwell

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Thats perfect sims baby! hell yeah

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is badass

Agreed, this is actually insanely good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It was actually changed to Bortles at Ellis Island from Bortowtiz

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The only bad thing about that column is the presence of Gladwell

The entire column was a Gladwell piece. It could’ve been in Outliers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol Clay Travis is trying to punch outside of his weight class

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/927561892444254208

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/927574919982002177

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/927577443241570304

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

From one of the replies:

Willful ignorance is a drug and Clay is El Chapo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I liked Shelby Foote :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
When did "no it was states rights" become "that tyrant Lincoln could have just compromised" because that seems even more wilfully ignorant

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, if the question is "do the states have a right to dissolve the union?", I can respect either argument, but you really have to come down on one side or the other.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
In general I think States should have the rights to secede if they so desire.

Just don't bullshit around the reason why those states wanted to secede.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is this the thread for this hot take

https://deadspin.com/ornery-columnist-snacks-in-youth-sports-are-making-ame-1796759986

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yessssss this was great

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

General Dog posted:

Yeah, if the question is "do the states have a right to dissolve the union?", I can respect either argument, but you really have to come down on one side or the other.

To go into more detail than is really necessary for the Sports Journalism Tumblr thread, Ta-Nehisi isn't entirely correct. On the issue of slavery there basically is no room to compromise on the morality of it. You can believe slavery is right, or you believe slavery is wrong, so this argument that the Civil War is a failure of compromise is pretty ridiculous. However, there is a pretty important legal dimension to this which sometimes gets overlooked. The abolitionists may have wanted an immediate end to slavery, but there was no legal mechanism to do so. Slaves were the property of their owner, and the constitution protects your property rights. The government can't take away your property except for under very specific circumstances.

So there was a compromise favored by Lincoln and others that they saw as a practical way to end slavery. Basically they favored a compensated emancipation. The government would free all of the slaves, but pay the slave owners for them. It's possible that this sort of compromise could have led to an end of slavery and prevented the civil war. But, each side was so entrenched on the argument of the morality that I don't think it's realistic a compromised settlement ever could have been reached.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Simplex posted:

To go into more detail than is really necessary for the Sports Journalism Tumblr thread, Ta-Nehisi isn't entirely correct. On the issue of slavery there basically is no room to compromise on the morality of it. You can believe slavery is right, or you believe slavery is wrong, so this argument that the Civil War is a failure of compromise is pretty ridiculous. However, there is a pretty important legal dimension to this which sometimes gets overlooked. The abolitionists may have wanted an immediate end to slavery, but there was no legal mechanism to do so. Slaves were the property of their owner, and the constitution protects your property rights. The government can't take away your property except for under very specific circumstances.

So there was a compromise favored by Lincoln and others that they saw as a practical way to end slavery. Basically they favored a compensated emancipation. The government would free all of the slaves, but pay the slave owners for them. It's possible that this sort of compromise could have led to an end of slavery and prevented the civil war. But, each side was so entrenched on the argument of the morality that I don't think it's realistic a compromised settlement ever could have been reached.

Lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Simplex posted:

:laffo:

"Entrenched on the argument of Morality"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:thunk:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm going to make this simple for you since you have trouble understanding complicated things.

Person A: I think slavery is bad
Person B: I think slavery is good
No room for compromise.

Person A: I'm going to pay you to free your slaves, or I'm going to shoot you and free your slaves
Plenty of room for compromise.

If all you do is argue over whether slavery is good or bad, 9 times out of 9 there is no resolution except for a fight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lmao

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:lol:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know if all the supporting facts about what the abolitionists wanted are correct, but if they are I think it's a reasonable argument. At risk of pushing us further astray, it would be like people saying now that all guns need to be confiscated by the government with no restitution for the owners. It would be a non-starter. It's not a perfect analogy since anything to do with guns whatsoever is a non-starter, but the same was probably true of slaves so maybe it is. I dunno, stop making fun of him, I see what he's saying.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh no