Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Knobb Manwich posted:

Hahaha you can be ambushed while sieging a settlement.

Yeah, this is a great hidden benefit to Skaven. Your garrison can sally and gets a % chance to ambush the besieging army. Sometimes it is better to do this if you manage to pull the ambush off (for example, if they have a ton of ranged and artillery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Boy howdy there's something oddly satisfying in taking out 12 armies by yourself in the course of 1 turn. Lightning strike, high end heroes, healing, lots of artillery. gently caress you and your chariots Surtha.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

Hahaha you can be ambushed while sieging a settlement.

Doing this to the dwarfs own. Its maybe the best thing the rats have over the stunties, since dwarfs REALLY suffer from being ambushed. You can just smash their ranged/arty and then run away and have your own stuff blow them up as they try to tundle at you.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Doing this to the dwarfs own. Its maybe the best thing the rats have over the stunties, since dwarfs REALLY suffer from being ambushed. You can just smash their ranged/arty and then run away and have your own stuff blow them up as they try to tundle at you.

Did they add that ambush as normal attack mechanic to beastmen this xpac or was that always there? The 6 dudes and Volkmar who beat back that shitshow would like to know.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It was always there.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Krazyface posted:

It was always there.

Goes to show how often I fought beastmen in a campaign!

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Michaellaneous posted:

I started playing Chaos today and I gotta say it's great fun.

e: Is there a place for goons to hang out and play together?

There's the discord channel, seems like it's not listed in the OP.

https://discord.gg/3b4Ea5

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So Durthu is basically tree Kholek huh

If anyone's interested, I put together a mod that gives lords 5 skill points levels 2-5, with a 12 point dump skill opening at level 6 (shamelessly stolen from someone else's mod). Balanced it around spending 2 points/level for the first 4, so the AI is 12 points up on you by lvl 6. I assume they'll make some good choices by process of elimination if nothing else. Also heroes get 2 points every 10 levels and wizards every 5 (theoretically) because I like levelling things.

e: also one that splits the skaven LLs upkeep buff 30/20 faction/personal, so still a total of -50 for the LL in their own faction, but I'll probably reverse that because it seems a bit much. Saw some people talking about how only the LLs army had the clan favour, thought it might be fun.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 4, 2017

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I think I'd be down with Warcraft: total war at this point

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

maev posted:

And now I'm imagining a mage fight between Jaina and Teclis. Thanks a lot.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Gitro posted:

So Durthu is basically tree Kholek huh

I liked in TW1 before they toned down the Wood Elf aggression. First thing he always did was set off towards the north and just fight everyone up there for the rest of the game. I once had a game where for 15 turns I was being told the Chaos Warriors had been beaten back but would return because he was spawn camping them.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

maev posted:

Total Warhammer: 40k, since relic are bad now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Total Warhammer: 40k, since relic are bad now.

I can only hope Relic redeems themselves with the new Age of Empires; unfortunately that seems unlikely with Microsoft making it an exclusive to the Windows store.

On topic: maybe it's a good thing that I've somehow conned Karak Azul into liking me as Queek through endless sacking and raids on the Top Knotz, because I sure as hell can't afford another stack to actually push into the Southlands jungles with my two current ones pre-occupied with the western and eastern deserts. Rest assured I'll shank them once I consolidate my pocket.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I liked in TW1 before they toned down the Wood Elf aggression. First thing he always did was set off towards the north and just fight everyone up there for the rest of the game. I once had a game where for 15 turns I was being told the Chaos Warriors had been beaten back but would return because he was spawn camping them.

Spare a thought for the poor fellows like me trying to enjoy a beastmen campaign, only to have Orion activate my beastman ankle monitor and suddenly burst onto my screen from the fog like HEY SON YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME and proceed to stomp my face in.

I'm having fun in my chaos me campaign. I'm just heading to each protracted conflict and tipping the scales toward evil then leaving them to duke it out. It's fun when you find a poor old gobbo about to get sieged into destruction and manage to delete the attacking army then just trundle off looking for the next situation that requires a special brand of alternative dispute resolution.

JBP fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

JBP posted:

Spare a thought for the poor fellows like me trying to enjoy a beastmen campaign, only to have Orion activate my beastman ankle monitor and suddenly burst onto my screen from the fog like HEY SON YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME and proceed to stomp my face in.

In fairness, this is entirely accurate to lore and how much the Wood Elves hate the Beastmen.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Stephen9001 posted:

In fairness, this is entirely accurate to lore and how much the Wood Elves hate the Beastmen.

It's not really when you're up near Kislev and this big fuckhead beelines at you from Athel Loren like a beastman seeking missile.

Or the always hilarious turn four wood elf doomstack that heads directly for Estalia just to make sure you don't waste too long thinking you might get to actually play the game this time.

JBP fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 4, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It'd be neat if they did that if they detected you near Athel Loren, sure, but the fact that they know where you are despite your hidden stances is just weird.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

So, I remade my adventuring party mods and turned them all into one single mod that works for all factions.
While doing so, I asked a friend of mine to just slap something together for me that I could use as the picture in the mod launcher. Sent him some of CAs official pictures of the lords, thinking he would copy paste and put it together in 15 minutes or so.

He spent four hours, and made this:

Gave me permission to share it as long as I share your comments on it...

The mod, if anyone wonders: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1190120227

For those who can't see it:
Malektih - Orion - Queek
Grombrindal - Mazdamundi - Karl Franz
Tyrion - Grimgor - Vlad

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dunno-Lars posted:

So, I remade my adventuring party mods and turned them all into one single mod that works for all factions.
While doing so, I asked a friend of mine to just slap something together for me that I could use as the picture in the mod launcher. Sent him some of CAs official pictures of the lords, thinking he would copy paste and put it together in 15 minutes or so.

The mod, if anyone wonders: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1190120227

Malektih - Orion - Queek
Tyrion - Grimgor - Vlad

5/5

:allears:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I like the squirrel with a toothbrush on top of Franz.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that the high elf economy is based on exporting shiny doodads to the humans

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Dunno-Lars posted:

Malektih - Orion - Queek
Tyrion - Grimgor - Vlad

Mazda looks like he is the mood for defilement for once.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lawful Evil Tyrion seems legit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

maev posted:

Sadly, GW is the sort of company to take it's ball and go home if it sees one of it's partners working with a "competitor".

Maybe a Warcraft/Paradox project instead.

EDIT: That's some prime avatar material there.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 4, 2017

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

Malektih - Orion - Queek
Tyrion - Grimgor - Vlad

No Landerig 4/5.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like that the high elf economy is based on exporting shiny doodads to the humans

That, and being lazy decadent fucks.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The Malekith is a thing of beauty.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/VIb1NME.gifv

Dark Elves, man.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Brasseye posted:

The Malekith is a thing of beauty.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think my favorite thing about the Dark Elves (and GW by extension) is their stupidly edgy unit names, so I have to remember that Bleakswords and Dreadspears are just terrible T1 infantry archetypes, not elite badasses they're trying to sound like.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm playing mortal empires and I have to ask if there's a solution to the porthole lighting being horribly washed out. It's on all the old world models.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I'm playing mortal empires and I have to ask if there's a solution to the porthole lighting being horribly washed out. It's on all the old world models.

The opt-in beta has a fix for that.

Unrelated: oh poo poo, I just got a dilemma for a high loyalty Skaven lord that gave him a trait that boosts artillery damage and reduces their upkeep! That's a cool fuckin' addition!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hmm, build Tyrion as a blender or get the uniter tree? Are those stat boosts really worth all the money you could save instead?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
More money is pretty much always the optimal choice in this game but feel free to pick the other option if you think it's more interesting.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I mean he's basically a one-man army as-is. I always felt like the Uniter tree was the way to go.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

genericnick posted:

Hmm, build Tyrion as a blender or get the uniter tree? Are those stat boosts really worth all the money you could save instead?

As usual, depends on what difficulty you're playing on. Public order and money are the real existential threats on legendary.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. What would you even do with all that weapon strength? You'd still get stuck in chaff and most of the things you'd need those stats to kill easily fly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I always hesitate to take the yellow tree on my campaign LLs because generally buffing up their army with the red line or the strategic situation(upkeep/movement) with the blue line feels more useful than improving personal combat strength. The only lords I tend to invest into non red/blue on are mages because they need spells and winds.

I don't feel like I get a lot of utility out of buffing, say, Vlad's personal combat ability when he will generally murder anything I send him into one on one.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 4, 2017

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Dunno-Lars posted:

Malektih - Orion - Queek
Tyrion - Grimgor - Vlad

The art is fantastic. One of the most fun campaigns I played in 1 was a Beastman adventuring party campaign with 16 Gorebulls, and I've been wanting to do something similar again. So, thanks!

Also, do the other factions play in the usual way, with settlements and all that, or do they function as horde factions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

genericnick posted:

like even without the murder skills he's still easily one of the heaviest hitters in the whole game plus he's got so high armor, and def/atk that he can basically fight anything but extremely top tier units and come out with barely a dent in his hp