Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did they think Elongated Man was too silly and went with Plastic Man? Or am I getting the two confused. Though I hope Dibney shows up in the red one piece and sunglasses that Plastic Man wore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Did they think Elongated Man was too silly and went with Plastic Man? Or am I getting the two confused. Though I hope Dibney shows up in the red one piece and sunglasses that Plastic Man wore.
It sounds like they combined them into one character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I think they just wanted to avoid the Elongated Man name because it is kind of awkward. Also unlike Plastic Man Ralph can only stretch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What does Plastic Man do, pollute the oceans?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Plastic Man is explicitly a name that Ralph rejects, he's going to be Elongated Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

I think they just wanted to avoid the Elongated Man name because it is kind of awkward. Also unlike Plastic Man Ralph can only stretch.

Seems like he can stretch any part of himself. I want to see him stretch like his eyeballs to spy on someone. That grossed me out as a kid, but I want to see it now.

Also, they continue to indicate that the MCU exists in the Arrowverse. "I look like a Hemsworth!"

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

DoctorWhat posted:

Plastic Man is explicitly a name that Ralph rejects, he's going to be Elongated Man.
The episode title was "Elongated Journey Into Night," so it's not like they're avoiding the name entirely. I expect it'll be like Captain Cold, where the name gets tossed out there on rare occasion, but 95% of the time he's just called Snart.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I expect he'll just be "Ralph Dibny" and probably never put on a costume or anything but just go with the "super powered private detective" Dibny character. Cisco will say "Elongated Man" at some point and Dibny will make a joke about how bad it is. The "Plastic Man" reference was just a gag and people maybe reading a bit much into them making him kind of scuzzy as a backstory.

Mostly I think that was just kind of a tonal miss for Flash writers. I don't think they were totally trying to make Dibny a bad dude. Barry and Joe have that whole talk about what Ralph did and it was obviously all a means to get Barry reflecting on all the sketchy poo poo they've done and maybe that will go somewhere. But it just didn't really work as "morally ambiguous" because "the dirty cop framed someone because he was guilty, so for a good reason" kind of falls flat.

God help him when he meets Oliver's mom's lawyer Jean Loring who happens to have a daughter named Jean too. 2018 Arrowverse Crossover = Identity Crisis!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 6, 2017

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ralph better get some eyebrow waggles out of being nicknamed The Elongated Man. I don't care if you're a somewhat wholesome dude in the comics. You play the cards Cisco deals you, Dibny.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if they're thinking about Ralph for a spinoff, or if he's gonna meet Sue and that romance will happen in The Flash

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
He'll get paired up with Caitlin and leave the show at the end of the season and he'll like it.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

rapeface posted:

He'll get paired up with Caitlin and leave the show at the end of the season and he'll like it.

The bus giveth and the bus taketh away.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Captain Cold is leaving the Arrowverse.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/wentworth-miller-is-leaving-the-arrowverse-1820191842

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFIeFwB6xn/

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

This is terrible news. Hope they are departing on good terms and it's just an inconvenience thing going on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's terrible, but also he was kind of already gone. Hopefully they find out a good way to bring him back for good and he comes back similar to Katie Cassidy, but if he's just in this standby role I get it and it doesn't feel like it changes a lot.

rapeface posted:

There is a Jean Loring in the Arrowverse and I refuse to believe they will pass this up.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bachelor/bachelorette party episode, what can go wrong??

Dibny :allears:

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 8, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Welll that was horrific :stonk:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Barry is me when I'm drunk

"I just really love chicken wings"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Why does Katee Sackhoff have a British accent?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

howe_sam posted:

her accent is wavering between Eliza Doolittle and David Tennant

edit: why would you just let the super villain go

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dibny owns and drunk Barry owns.

howe_sam posted:

They wanted to see if she could become worse at acting.

She can.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, for how much they're playing with it this year, I hope "This house is bitchin'" has an amazing payoff at some point.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh son of a bitch :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They wanted to see if she could become worse at acting.

She can.

I never had any doubt.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

nine-gear crow posted:

God, for how much they're playing with it this year, I hope "This house is bitchin'" has an amazing payoff at some point.
Barry changes the timeline, comes back and the house is now a mansion. Last line of the season "this house really is bitchin now"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Guy A. Person posted:

That intro isn't a fanciful inner monologue, it's literally him giving that exact speech to a different random person in line at the coffee shop or in the dentist waiting room or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTESf2VGs_4

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I expect he'll just be "Ralph Dibny" and probably never put on a costume or anything but just go with the "super powered private detective" Dibny character. Cisco will say "Elongated Man" at some point and Dibny will make a joke about how bad it is. The "Plastic Man" reference was just a gag and people maybe reading a bit much into them making him kind of scuzzy as a backstory.

Nah. Lifting a $20 off someone at a strip club is totally something Plas would've done at the start of his career (and probably in his JLA days too). The references, feel, and delivery are there. I doubt very seriously it's a coincidence.

Of the many things to like about this episode (I'M THE FLAAAAAAAAAAASH) I really liked Caitlyn's rage scream and then walking out of it as Killer Frost. It was a neat visual effect.

This season owns so many bones. All the bones.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This episode was so great when it was drunk Barry and the Barryettes doing their thing, but it got...like...Inhumans-level bad when it switched to the Killer Frost portion of the plot.

...okay, that's probably too mean. But still.

I did like the ice shield effect and subsequent explosion. Very MMORPG.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BrianWilly posted:

This episode was so great when it was drunk Barry and the Barryettes doing their thing, but it got...like...Inhumans-level bad when it switched to the Killer Frost portion of the plot.

...okay, that's probably too mean. But still.

I did like the ice shield effect and subsequent explosion. Very MMORPG.

the killer frost stuff was fun

inhumans is a travesty of creative mismanagement that should be excised from public record and punished by firing squad

I can see where you'd mix the two up though

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Let's beat the dead horse that is the Kaitlyn split personality plot line then revive it with mirakuru so we can beat it to death again and continue beating it.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
So I guess Harry can just walk around in public now (including going into a police station) despite looking identical to the world's most infamous mega-terrorist supervillain

Wasn't there a whole subplot last season about how HR had to use a face changer thingy whenever he stepped outside for that very same reason?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Flashpoint!

...wait last season occurred after Flashpoint, didn't it?

Well. Still. Flashpoint ripple effects!!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bbf2 posted:

So I guess Harry can just walk around in public now (including going into a police station) despite looking identical to the world's most infamous mega-terrorist supervillain

Wasn't there a whole subplot last season about how HR had to use a face changer thingy whenever he stepped outside for that very same reason?

Yes but have you considered

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
#feminism

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't decide whether that's Sackhoffs actual voice or a dub.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is there reason we shouldn't just assume he's using the face changer all the time? Do you really need to see him switch it on?

I say this having missed an episode or two. Maybe somebody outside team flash recognised him on the street? That would be weird.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
She sounds like she based her accent on Dennis as a foppish dandy in The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I’m pretty sure she was just doing her best James Callis impression.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
“Why are you talking like that? Is there something wrong with your voice?”
“I was being arch... because we were being devious and plotting.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So um...drunk Barry? Best Barry.