Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Asphalt Jungle looks right up my alley. Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Asphalt Jungle rules.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Ordered Repo Man, Tampopo (missed the screening here but people keep telling me it's good) and Fire Walk With Me (which will be my first real exposure to actual Twin Peaks instead of things taking inspiration from it).

Wanted to get more since the dollar being so close to parity works in my favour, but I'm holding off for now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Ordered Repo Man, Tampopo (missed the screening here but people keep telling me it's good) and Fire Walk With Me (which will be my first real exposure to actual Twin Peaks instead of things taking inspiration from it).

Wanted to get more since the dollar being so close to parity works in my favour, but I'm holding off for now.

Are you saying you haven't seen the original Twin Peaks series? Because if so, I hope you're not going to watch FWWM yet, because the movie assumes you already know the biggest spoiler of the whole drat show.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I only picked up comedies this time.

Paths of Glory
Ivan's Childhood
Insomnia
Lord of the Flies
The Wages of Fear

Real goofy stuff.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cloks posted:

Have you seen The Lady Vanishes? Good combination of humor and intrigue and I think it rewards multiple viewings. The director is a bit of an unknown but he made a psuedo-remake of Diabolique called "Psycho".

Real talk though, I just watched Diabolique and man did Hitchcock ever use that as a reference for Psycho. I thought that he was the one who originated the closed theater after the movie starts policy but nope, Clozout. I wonder exactly how much of the similarities come from using the same authors to inspire the script and how much was lifted from Diabolique.
iirc Hitchcock and Clouzot got into a bidding war over the rights to adapt The Wages of Fear

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cloks posted:

I only picked up comedies this time.

Paths of Glory
Ivan's Childhood
Insomnia
Lord of the Flies
The Wages of Fear

Real goofy stuff.

Should have gotten Shoah too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Probably going to sit this one out, but I will maybe pick up Le Samourai and Jabberwocky later this month. Though, I'm getting Barry Lyndon as a gift to my aunt and uncle since neither have ever seen it yet and I know they'll love it.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 2, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

Should have gotten Shoah too.

I already own Salò, I don't think I can laugh much harder than that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

How is 'Things to Come'?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Origami Dali posted:

Are you saying you haven't seen the original Twin Peaks series? Because if so, I hope you're not going to watch FWWM yet, because the movie assumes you already know the biggest spoiler of the whole drat show.

While I agree to an extent, I think it tells its story well enough that you don't HAVE to watch Twin Peaks.

It'll definitely ruin Twin Peaks though because of a) Spoilers b) How tonally different it is from the first two seasons.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I do plan to watch Twin Peaks at some point especially with the revival run finished. Considering that it took me over a year to actually watch my Dr. Strangelove Criterion who knows when I will get to FWWM though. :iiam:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Picked up Vampyr and Brazil last night, I might grab a couple more after my next paycheck. Otherwise the sale comes around often enough (and I'm backlogged enough as it is) that I don't mind waiting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went in to pick up Barry Lyndon for my aunt/uncle, but ended up also getting Carnival of Souls and Breathless after wanting them for a while.

Also found The Wicker Man and The Bridge on the River Kwai for cheap.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Might not mean much for disc, but Filmstruck has a ton of Jim Henson films online. Pretty much all his experimental/animated short films and TV specials.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Might not mean much for disc, but Filmstruck has a ton of Jim Henson films online. Pretty much all his experimental/animated short films and TV specials.

gently caress YES

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

gently caress me, I know it's never simple stuff to sort, but I wish they'd hurry up and expand to allow Australian subscriptions.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Picked up HOUSE and Videodrome from B&N. My wife likes "creepy" horror like American Horror Story, but hates jump scares, I get the feeling both of these are more in the former category?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's no describing the insanity that is House.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
House is like getting high and going to a candy store to murder someone.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One of the specials on FilmStruck for Henson’s work is Monster Maker, which stars Harry Dean Stanton as a Harryhausen-esque puppeteer.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

House is one of my favorite movies ever, but I honestly wouldn’t go into it expecting spooks. You’ll be disappointed. The pitch I would give it is that it’s like an episode of Scooby Doo if it were made by a Japanese man who had only heard the premise described to him on a very loud train.

Videodrome is creepy though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Picked up Stalker on the way home from work, excited to get into it tonight. Probably going to pick up Blood Simple before the sale ends too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Arcella posted:

Picked up HOUSE and Videodrome from B&N. My wife likes "creepy" horror like American Horror Story, but hates jump scares, I get the feeling both of these are more in the former category?

HOUSE is absolutely not scary but it is absolutely amazing

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
House is to horror movies what fruit by the foot is to raisins.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

House is a horror movie in the same way Evil Dead 2 is.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
House is a horror movie in the truest sense as a 'trick film.' It's melies/de chomon old school

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Nice, thanks everyone!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Videodrome is one of my favorite movies of all time - and it's bonkers too, albeit in a different way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/status/927267595581116416

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The classic media set was fantastic, but if I can get an eclipse box set with fuckin' Destroy All Monsters, I'll def re-up.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

There isn't a "yeah boy" big, loud, or long enough for this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oh my loving god :allears:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just a few days ago I was even gonna make a post asking what would be the next likely Godzilla movie Criterion would release but stupidly thought the idea was too outlandish. I love being wrong sometimes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Godzilla films were such a rights nightmare in the US I honestly never thought we'd see another one released as a Criterion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCOVUz0SZAQ

My poor loving wallet, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

That might actually just be Jerry Garcia

I'm surprised people are seeing it as anyone else

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm surprised people are seeing it as anyone else

I think they're trying to find a pun or double meaning that just isn't there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Crook's Tour today.

Am I the first person to have actually seen this film? It wasn't as good as The Lady Vanishes or even Night Train to Munich but it was a fun enough 80 minute romp with a couple of solid gags.