Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Enjoy your cold showers for the next month t:mad:t

Imma wait through halfway through the unload, then have you rig for pumping out, then I'll start warping while the unloading rig and the pumps are going without telling you. Oh I'll pop a hatch open at the same time too.

And you're gonna like it, you dirty dirty engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

As a current practicing civil engineer and former enlisted FC, if you arent looking at Admin or Supply youre doing it wrong. CEC is going to pay you less money to babysit a bunch of Seabees and deal with DoD beauracracy on top of contract procurement beauracracy. Like Army Corps is probably as close as I'd wander. At least with Admin and Supply you can just skate all of the time and deal with junior enlisted drama. That's about what ensign pay is worth.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Good day goons. Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here and acquaint myself with the place, as I have just signed up for the Navy. Current MOS is AECF, though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

I am open to any suggestions or hints on poo poo that's a drat good idea to do/take care of before I go to basic in May.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LogicalFallacy posted:

though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

NO

DONT

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Blood for the blood god

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

Good day goons. Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here and acquaint myself with the place, as I have just signed up for the Navy. Current MOS is AECF, though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

I am open to any suggestions or hints on poo poo that's a drat good idea to do/take care of before I go to basic in May.

NO

DONT

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LogicalFallacy posted:

I have a feeling I know what the #1 hint is going to be.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LogicalFallacy posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

HAHAHA

HA

HAAA

Pisssssssssss

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If you guys talk this guy out of accelerating his life in the nuclear field, I will never forgive you.

Future shipmate, this is your chance to work with state of the art technology on exciting weapons platforms. You can expect a low-stress lifestyle that primarily involves watching your advanced systems maintain themselves. You can definitely expect a six figure income once you decide to leave the service, if you ever do. The nuclear field is always looking for new teammates as we see unprecedented levels of growth.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KetTarma posted:

If you guys talk this guy out of accelerating his life in the nuclear field, I will never forgive you.

Future shipmate, this is your chance to work with state of the art technology on exciting weapons platforms. You can expect a low-stress lifestyle that primarily involves watching your advanced systems maintain themselves. You can definitely expect a six figure income once you decide to leave the service, if you ever do. The nuclear field is always looking for new teammates as we see unprecedented levels of growth.

I don't understand how you could type this without stroking out.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I don't understand how you could type this without stroking out.

You'd be amazed what time, distance, and a totally different career can do for your mental health.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Jesus Christ don't over do it

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LogicalFallacy posted:

Please explain to the mob why in the gently caress you want to go NUC?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KetTarma posted:

You can definitely expect a six figure income once you decide to leave the service, if you ever do.

This part actually isn't wholly a lie. I constantly have to turn down a real job to stay a student, and have really nice prospects when I graduate, and while everything I was offered out of the navy was mid to high five figures with about 5 or 6 years of seniority you start reaching 110k to 140k range.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

This part actually isn't wholly a lie. I constantly have to turn down a real job to stay a student, and have really nice prospects when I graduate, and while everything I was offered out of the navy was mid to high five figures with about 5 or 6 years of seniority you start reaching 110k to 140k range.

I mean, yeah... you -can- get a high salary job... but it's in a dying industry plagued with layoffs and cancelled new construction projects. Almost everyone I know that works in nuclear has been laid off at least once because so many plants have shut down.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Let me put it this way - a guy I grew up with became the Division Officer and a NUC on the Virginia...

...and now he's a project manager cum HVAC engineer now that he's out. I remember thinking when I saw he'd been on the Seawolf and Virginia that he was going to be able to write his own ticket with regards to nuclear engineering, but now he's in Boston working for a consulting firm.

Apologies in advance if you're lurking in here, Tom.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Hi!
How old are you? What are your long-term goals? What are your plans between now and shipping out?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hi soon to be booter. Don't go NUC, stay AECF or find a rate with a 4 year commitment that looks cool.

I did the AECF thing, it worked out pretty well for the most part. My recommendation would be to aim for the ET side of the house, lots more duty station choices in the long run, as well as more chances to get follow on schools.

FC side can be cool, but most of the C schools are going to pigeon hole you to a specific platform, so if you go that way choose carefully.

If you have any specific questions ask away. I've been out for 6 years so my info is probably out of date, but there is a goon that posts in here that was an A school instructor in GL and I'm sure there are other dudes that can chime in as well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LogicalFallacy definitely living up to his username

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
One time when I was a DivO in the shipyard one of the nuke MMs in my duty section fell asleep on the way to work and drove his car into the ditch after having gone home from work at 1am that morning. He got taken to the hospital but was pretty much ok. I asked the MMC to send one of his guys to the hospital to check on the guy and then take him home. Instead he got a coner to go pick him up from the hospital and bring him to work so he could stand watch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IT or IS.
I think exactly two out of the 30 or so nuke contracts actually made it all the way though the pipeline from my NOV15 boot class.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

NO STAY AECF YOU POOR SAP

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Cerekk posted:

One time when I was a DivO in the shipyard one of the nuke MMs in my duty section fell asleep on the way to work and drove his car into the ditch after having gone home from work at 1am that morning. He got taken to the hospital but was pretty much ok. I asked the MMC to send one of his guys to the hospital to check on the guy and then take him home. Instead he got a coner to go pick him up from the hospital and bring him to work so he could stand watch.

If you could get off the watch bill just by getting into a car wreck people would start doing it all the time

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I thought AECF was a six year commitment.

I was one of the last AECF people to go to a school that actually taught computers. Ask me anything about the UYK-20.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
AECF was a 6 year for me. ET here too. Don't do nuke. If you like liberty or daylight you'll never see either. If you like darkness and basements and furries go nuke.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

These forums haven't seen me talk about how awesome being a nuke is in a while.

I had been awake for 30 hours and fell down a ladder on roving watch. I stood the rest of my watch then went to medical. Once I finally got to the doc, they asked if I was a nuke. Yep. He then accused me of hurting myself to get off watch and sent me away. Later that week I went for a second opinion and found out I had broken my toe.

I have stood watch with my arm in a sling and orders to call for a nub if I needed a second hand to operate a valve. Since I was a nuke, I wasn't prescribed narcotics. Since we had to man a watchboll, there I was.

One of the last things I said to a good friend was "hey man, chief says I have to out you on 16 hour days for being dinq" while we were on 3 section duty working 12 hour days with a 24 hour shift every 3rd day. He went home and shot himself. He left behind a wife and a kid.

I developed shiftwork sleep disorder after 5 years on rotating shiftwork where every 7 days we changed shifts. I eventually was unable to sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, would wake up starving in the middle of the night, couldn't escape a constant mental fog, and still was operating a shutdown nuclear reactor often by myself for 6 hours at a time. I also was regularly spending 4 to 8 hours a day writing electrical power isolation tags that would expose myself and others to deadly voltage if I messed up.

One time I did 16 hour days for 35 days straight with no days off. We were doing an extremely high stress procedure (ion exchanger changeout that got very complicated) and I had two auditors watching me at all times waiting for a mistake to report to an admiral. This was during my shore duty which is supposed to be your downtime period. After shift was over, we had to walk a mile back to our barracks only to walk back the next day. We had a van that operated sometimes. We usually just slept on the troop ship tied up next to us instead of bothering to go back.

I have personally sent two friends to the ER after an electrical explosion mainly due to poor communication following months of 12 hour days. I have had a trainee maimed for life because of his supervisor being pressured to get a procedure done quickly. I had a friend nearly killed and another sent to the hospital due to a shipyard worker misreading a blueprint. Similarly, a subordinate got blown up for the same reason (although survived with no major injuries due to PPE). I could probably keep going but you get the idea that this poo poo is dangerous when you're exhausted from an operational tempo that keeps you awake for days on end.

Be a nuke.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Join the Air Force and be the basketball hander outer

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Well, I did not expect quite as much of an... exuberant response. Fwiw I am 26 and me going nuke is highly dependent on my age waiver going through. Either way I plan on doing ET, so I do figure on having transferable skills once I get out, assuming I don't re-enlist.

I don't know at this point if I want to do career military, which my brother is super gung-ho about right now, or if I plan on trying to find civilian work after this tour.

As for what I'm doing in the time before basic, it's mostly getting into a reasonable shape where I can survive boot camp and rounding out the few credits I need so that I can still go in as an E3 even if I stay AECF.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well, I did not expect quite as much of an... exuberant response. Fwiw I am 26 and me going nuke is highly dependent on my age waiver going through. Either way I plan on doing ET, so I do figure on having transferable skills once I get out, assuming I don't re-enlist.

I don't know at this point if I want to do career military, which my brother is super gung-ho about right now, or if I plan on trying to find civilian work after this tour.

As for what I'm doing in the time before basic, it's mostly getting into a reasonable shape where I can survive boot camp and rounding out the few credits I need so that I can still go in as an E3 even if I stay AECF.

Is your brother military? If so, what does he do?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If you like riding on ships but not actually having to do anything while on them, you should join the Marine Corps. Your job on ship will be to spend every waking moment playing videogames, at the gym, or standing in the passage ways in line for chow at least 2 hours early.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
ET is loving rad. I wouldn't have picked any other job looking back.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

MancXVI posted:

Is your brother military? If so, what does he do?
He is. He's an HT.

edit:

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If you like riding on ships but not actually having to do anything while on them, you should join the Marine Corps. Your job on ship will be to spend every waking moment playing videogames, at the gym, or standing in the passage ways in line for chow at least 2 hours early.
I'm already signed with the navy, as of last well Friday. And I'm sure everyone would've been confused as hell if I'd decided to go with the marines. For some reason, getting a 99 on your ASVAB makes people rather enthusiastic about getting you into stuff like nuke.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 5, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LogicalFallacy posted:

He is. He's an HT.

I would probably recommend against going HT unless you're really into that poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LogicalFallacy posted:

Do you really think that Tets story is a one off thing? This poo poo has been going on for 30+ years and has not changed one single bit other than to become even more stressful.

Be a nuke. You will love it.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I would probably recommend against going HT unless you're really into that poo poo.

:drat:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Anyway, how long has your brother been in? I'm trying to figure out his perspective. How does he feel about you possibly going into the nuke program?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Also:

LogicalFallacy posted:

[...] rounding out the few credits I need so that I can still go in as an E3 even if I stay AECF.

What are you going to school for? What interests you?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Go do anything else with your life

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Recruiters really wanted to sign me up for nuclear, but it just feels like a dying industry. Lots of crazy old professors at my college kept saying it's the next big thing.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

As a current practicing civil engineer and former enlisted FC, if you arent looking at Admin or Supply youre doing it wrong. CEC is going to pay you less money to babysit a bunch of Seabees and deal with DoD beauracracy on top of contract procurement beauracracy. Like Army Corps is probably as close as I'd wander. At least with Admin and Supply you can just skate all of the time and deal with junior enlisted drama. That's about what ensign pay is worth.

Oh yeah, I've dealt with paperwork nightmares before. The thing is, I still want to advance my engineering career and salary is not a huge deciding factor for me.

Although since you're here, one of the huge mysteries for me is how navy and civilian civil engineering compare? Is there a significant increase in paperwork or babysitting idiots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

On the civilian side, noone is going to give you management responsibility until you have a PE. And you don't have to babysit idiots. I just got done with my babby engineering stint at a consultant and got left more or less alone for the last three and a half years.

I could have been an officer and gotten roped into explaining why SN Dumbass got a DUI for the fourth time.

And in exchange for the loss of this idiotic burden? You get paid more. And the benefits are better.