Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Crazycryodude posted:

It's gonna be loving Terrans, just you watch. Everything wrong with this universe comes back to them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm pretty sure the precursor species were wiped out before Homo sapiens even evolved, let alone developed spaceflight.

On the other hand, that means there's less competition for planets and we get neat ruins to plunder, so you might still be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm all for disassembling everything but the jump drives, given the new information

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

If there is anything even remotely untoward with that comet I want our ships ready to turn it from a dirty snowball to a dirty ball of rapidly expanding vapor.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Saros posted:

Scientists on Ranginui have performed initial investigations on one of each of the components recovered with the following results.

Those RP are now at ranginui. Every colony has it's own RP counts, if don't have any of the techs presently researched at earth and it seems we should be able to get the tech from the ranginui components alone, we should now disassemble them at ranginui until we get the tech.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh hey, here I am! First assignment and I'm already in the thick of things. This bodes well.

(Resumes lurking)

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Mikl posted:

Oh hey, here I am! First assignment and I'm already in the thick of things. This bodes well.

(Resumes lurking)

Oh Hell no. We expect some calls to nuke the UT before you finish exploration, kid! Plus Minus Fanatics 4 Lyfe

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Where's the Atrocity Exhibition at? Still chilling at Pluto?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Oh Hell no. We expect some calls to nuke the UT before you finish exploration, kid! Plus Minus Fanatics 4 Lyfe

Ah, fine then.

*Clears throat*

Can an entire planet glow in the dark of space? What? You don't know? Me neither, in fact. Let's find out!

Is this good?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

sebmojo posted:

Where's the Atrocity Exhibition at? Still chilling at Pluto?

Ranginui V with most of Triton fleets light units that can be maintained there.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Mikl posted:

Ah, fine then.

*Clears throat*

Can an entire planet glow in the dark of space? What? You don't know? Me neither, in fact. Let's find out!

Is this good?

:perfect:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

While this was going on you dug up some more stuff.

Oh goody, more fusion drives!

Tech readouts on the recovered components.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
How's Maxcom?

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Calling it now, Ghost Putin lives on the comet...

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Disassemble all those drives for sweet research points.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Sweet, first assignment and we're going into The Pit. Let's see what happens to my jump cruiser in a nebula! :black101:

two_step posted:

Calling it now, Ghost Putin lives on the comet...

Only because Ghost Tango made the nebula and put the comet there, of course.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
drat it people look at this thing, just look at it okay.

When these come swarming out of the Nebula I will be giving off a hearty "told you so" before being shortly vaporized.

(Seriously though looking forward to seeing what we find and the results so far have been great.)

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Is it just me or did anyone else noticed that no less then 6 planetoids/whatever have the exact same temperature of 61,6 (I assume Kelvin)?

This does not seem to be, at first glance, a naturally occuring temperature distribution.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

That's just aurora being aurora I'm afraid. They are around the same size, have no atmosphere and orbit the sun at the same distance.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Ah ok, nevermind then.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

They would probably have very similar albedo to each other to make that happen. Which is... unusual given how varied many of our moons are around our system's planets, but isn't strictly speaking impossible in reality.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

They're probably all covered in nebula dust and have similar albedos thanks to that

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Is... is that a stock option?

I just want to clarify for the record that it is not.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

6 January 2054

The first Destroyer squadron closes with the comet.

Jan, 2326hrs

The squadron closes to 50m km with nothing detected, the comet is still a hazy blob in the opticals thanks to the dust density and the active sensors - currently off - are only working at half their rated distance.

7 Jan, 0152hrs

Nearly four million kilometers away an active sensor blazes to life, the signal is alien, not matching anything recognised by humanity. The FTL pulses are extremely tightly modulated and likely have a more efficient return rate than those of Mars which no doubt helps in the confines of the nebula.

The contact suddenly moves, at 3750kps matching the speed of the destroyer squadron it extends the lead to 5 million km and begins to pace the destroyers. The Azrael class are capable of 5000kps in the nebula but Rorac elects to not make any sudden moves towards the contact.

Since the Aliens are pinging them with their own actives Rorac elects to turn on his own. [Don't mind the changed name in the screenshot, it's the game auto-naming classes when they are detected.]

The contact is only 1000 Tons. Rorac relaxes slightly as his own TF totals more than twenty-five times as much.

7 Jan, 0213hrs

The task force doesn't deviate course as the accompanying scientists start to beam out a pre-prepared first contact package using both radio and laser comms. There is no response from the Alien ship but it continues to maintain the 5m km distance. As they close on the comet the fine resolution sensor comes into range and reveals another five identical contacts lying just off the surface. There appears to be some sort of small surface installation but at present the ships cannot determine what it is.

7 Jan, 0236hrs

After some time the contacts on the comet ignite drives and head towards the Destroyers at half the speed of the Destroyers. The first contact kicks up to 3750kps and makes for a rendezvous with the others.

7 Jan, 0251hrs

Rorac slows to 2500kps to reduce any impression of threat. So far the aliens have been eerily quiet with no transmissions or visible response to the attempts by the Destroyers to make contact.

As the alien ships pass the 5m km mark they increase speed to 3750kps and make directly for the Destroyers.

That's enough for Rorac, he turns his ships away and heads in the general direction of the rest of the fleet which is still heading insystem.

Unfortunately they are over 750m km away and well out of the range to provide support.

7 Jan, 0258hrs

The Alien ships are just under 2m, km away and have suddenly increased speed to 5000kps.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 6, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

well lets kite them then. We've got spines, they probably don't.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hm...I wonder if there's actually organic crew on these ships or if we're looking at alien drones. The lack of contact and sudden aggression might indicate that's the case, especially given that everyone else we've found is already long dead.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Don't shoot unless fired upon. We outweigh them by a lot, so we can afford to take a hit if need be, unless they have significantly better tech than us. In which case shooting first probably wont matter.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Give them laser tech, one pew at time, from max range to 0. Come about and open up with everything.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Are warning shots possible things to do?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Don't shoot unless they shoot first. We do not want to start our first interstellar war on a misunderstanding.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Mikl posted:

Don't shoot unless they shoot first. We do not want to start our first interstellar war on a misunderstanding.

+/- fanatics

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Don't shoot until shot at, retreat at best speed maintaining attempts to contact the whole time.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I am away until the weekend so you have until then to agree on a doctrine and how to handle the situation.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I mean... if we HAPPENED to stumble into an extraterrestrial threat and start a war, we could always trigger the mutual defense treaty with Earth. Maybe with their weakened government state we can use that as an avenue for taking over... We start by commanding the joint task forces... I mean, Mars DID find the baddies first.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Open fire immediately, the aliens are out to get us and we should have investigated the spider penguins damnit.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I've read like, all of a few dozen posts here and there and I vote we Open Fire!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

Open fire immediately, the aliens are out to get us and we should have investigated the spider penguins damnit.

Empty quoting because don't give a gently caress

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

They're six thousand tons total. Unless they're Shivans super advanced compared to us, we can take them. They're currently closing in, but maybe they're just curious?

Keep retreating towards the rest of the fleet at current speed (don't speed up unless it comes down to combat). Let's not reveal all our cards.

Keep trying to make contact. Let's try to talk before shooting.

Do not fire unless they shoot first in which case return fire. If in the near future we get obliterated with antimatter and then gassed at least we'll be able to say that we didn't start it.

If it comes down to weapons, aim to disable if possible. I think our scientists would very much like to get their grubby hands on those things.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do we have any idea how quickly we might be able to take out a ship that size with the destroyers? If they're the kind of ships we can potentially alpha strike, it's worth letting them get slightly closer to see if they start slowing down/stopping as we step out of their yard. We really don't want to start a fight in this Nebula if we don't have to.

If I were on the bridge of one of those ships in reality (rather than a game) I'd err on the side of opening fire as soon as we had a pretty solid chance of hitting them, interstellar war be damned. I also wouldn't have gone into this nebula, though. :v: We elected to go in here, and lord only knows what else is lurking out in the space-fog. We could only even detect these guys because they went active initially, we know they can detect us further than we can detect them, and at the very least keep pace with our fastest ships. Starting a fight in here is liable to end poorly, as we could easily be surrounded on all sides and end up getting our fleet Robocop'd.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Don't give the talky people a chance or we'll end up with some absurd city state filled with aliens, cocaine-binging hypercapitalists, and predictably, traitors and weapon smugglers.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Definately DO fire first

Missile don't work in nebulas, right? So any possible confrontation will be decided by beam range & max ship speed. These guys can at least match our speed, maybe exceed it. This means that there are two possiblilties:

They are at least as fast as us & have farther ranged weapons - We're screwed as they can dictate range & fire on us from outside ours.

They are at least as fast as us & have shorter ranged weapons - We have the advantage as long as we start firing at max range & try to maintain it (if possible).

I recommend we continue running away at 3750 kps & broadcasting messages of peace, until they get to our max beam range. The we accelerate & try to maintain range & start shooting.