Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ded posted:

I wonder what would happen if the DPRK tried to lob a nuke at whatever city Trump was in while he is ~in asia~

grudging yet thorough retaliation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah and this is that son making a huuuuuuge big swingin dick example out of the richest, most successful, most internationally recognized cousin to show anybody that might be getting ideas what the score is.

Lol we totally signed off on this too

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
*in a school yard 'oh look there's a brawl' voice*

Hey guys! some fool wants to enlist Nuke over in the navy thread!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

grudging yet thorough retaliation

Very grudging.

Nuclear accidents on the Korean Peninsula being so common and all

All this talk of Saudi princes just has me wondering why tech companies don't just yank international investments back home since they're all going to get beheaded in the next few years anyway.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The samurais know now that Trump approves of their use. They're gonna chop through the nukes before they're within a hundred miles of the Donald.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lol we totally signed off on this too

Trump hates the prince that was arrested because he's bought trump's bankruptcy assets on multiple occasions and talks poo poo to him about it.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/916411046172266496

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Trump is coming to Vietnam. If you thought that samurai warrior comment was bad, just wait, there's more to come.

Hopefully he's less harmful than the last orange thing from America

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Trump is coming to Vietnam. If you thought that samurai warrior comment was bad, just wait, there's more to come.

Hopefully he's less harmful than the last orange thing from America
Ahh, the place he would have been killes by friendly fire if we lived in a just world.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Ahh, the place he would have been killes by friendly fire if we lived in a just world.

Lot of UXO left over there

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump hates the prince that was arrested because he's bought trump's bankruptcy assets on multiple occasions and talks poo poo to him about it.

lol if we end up fighting major land wars in two theatres and they're both due to hurt feelings about boats

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

lol if we end up fighting major land wars in two theatres and they're both due to hurt feelings about boats

Pretend I just put up a map of the world, with America being green, and every other piece of land on the planet red.
Legend-
Green: USA
Red: America's theater of operations

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

this saudi poo poo reads like something from game of thrones.

I think they're gonna get beheaded because I don't see this playing out with them living after this type of power move.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

*in a school yard 'oh look there's a brawl' voice*

Hey guys! some fool wants to enlist Nuke over in the navy thread!

I hope he does it. We need more broke people here.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we need another war so we can get more marine posters

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

So Madagascar didn't close their ports in time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh gently caress that. If I didn't start in Madagascar or maybe continental Africa to sneak in there I just gave up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/04/paul-manafort-bail-package-244550

Someone's getting itchy feet.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Who wants to bet he turns up in Russia within a week.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I really don't get why news stories keep including that he had an email address under an alias. It's the one part that doesn't matter and putting it next to the actual incriminating stuff just gives critics ammunition.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ded posted:

I wonder what would happen if the DPRK tried to lob a nuke at whatever city Trump was in while he is ~in asia~

I would die of laughter and terror in equal measure.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Isn't Mueller looking to seize those properties anyway as they were obtained with illicit funds?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mueller-has-enough-evidence-bring-charges-flynn-investigation-n817666

quote:

Mueller Has Enough Evidence to Bring Charges in Flynn Investigation

Sources reporting Flynn and Flynn could be charged.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I know a couple of people who worked for him and they said he was a p good guy back in the day but I guess he kinda went bonkers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

I know a couple of people who worked for him and they said he was a p good guy back in the day but I guess he kinda went bonkers.

There was a journalist who'd known him for over a decade and used to be more or less friends with him, who seemed pretty unsurprised. He said Flynn had been smart/capable, but had played fast and loose with a lot of rules if he thought them dumb or unnecessary. Examples included passing classified info to other agencies or other nations without going through proper channels if he thought they had too much red tape, and also sharing classified info with reporters on background if he thought getting the info out would help the war effort. The journo characterized him as seeing ends justifying means, even if it meant ignoring regs. He said the only real surprise was potential extent, rather than that he'd done stuff outside the rules.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

That's exactly the kind of thing mid level subordinates think is loving awesome, so makes sense.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Shim you holding up ok?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

"Rat on your boss and you'll save both yourself and your idiot son" would be extremely hard to turn down.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zeroisanumber posted:

"Rat on your boss and you'll save both yourself and your idiot son" would be extremely hard to turn down.

Two Scoops hasn't exactly been a shining example of loyalty to his underlings on top of that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How do you post life insurance as part of your bond? Control of the policy transfers if you run? What if the state doesn't want to pay premiums?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

How do you post life insurance as part of your bond? Control of the policy transfers if you run? What if the state doesn't want to pay premiums?

It's probably a whole-life annuity that can be cashed out at a fraction of benefit value. While a scam for most people compared to term-life, they can be a useful estate tax dodge for high rollers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Whole life insurance has a cash value.

e: And beaten. Yeah, not much of a reason to own any outside of specific tax situations, but Manafort's finances were anything but straightforward.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Of course if you're really loaded you create your own insurance company with yourself as the only customer and your kids as the owners and shovel cash out of your estate by paying it incredibly high tax-free premiums to insure risks that will never, ever, ever happen.

https://www.mmsonline.com/columns/the-captive-audience

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Basically, when you reach enough zeros of net worth, the rules completely change and things that seem insane to us make huge amounts of financial sense. At a certain point, you don't actually own anything tangible of real value. Its all owned by a maze of holding corps and trusts that you, your spouse and children own and are managing partners of. Think of it as classical physics vs quantum physics.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 5, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Basically, when you reach enough zeros of net worth, the rules completely change and things that seem insane to us make huge amounts of financial sense. At a certain point, you don't actually own anything tangible of real value. Its all owned by a maze of holding corps and trusts that you, your spouse and children own and are managing partners of. Think of it as classical physics vs quantum physics.

Perhaps we should liberate all these ultra-rich people from their terrible burdens?

100% income tax beyond $5 million.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 5, 2017

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
You can’t spell urine without uranium and an e. Makes you wonder :pisstape:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

my kinda ape posted:

Perhaps we should liberate all these ultra-rich people from their terrible burdens?

100% income tax beyond $5 million.

I've read that FDR wanted to do this, but he was negotiated down to a 90-something% top bracket instead.

E: Nowadays we'd probably need to switch to direct wealth/asset taxes. A lot harder to dodge, unless the person/corporation leaves the country completely.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 5, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

Shim you holding up ok?

Yeah, I’m alright.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

You can’t spell urine without uranium and an e. Makes you wonder :pisstape:
Yes, but what if nothing matters?

(I'm always deeply frustrated by left wing writers who crank out these pieces about a "right wing bubble destroying objective truth" with the implicit assumption that their own media diet and biases reflect factual reality. Yeah, the right wing media is guilty on an unprecedented level, but Adbusters and "question reality" bumper stickers were a thing long before Breitbart was, and the left has its own sacred cows and "I loving love clickbait" boosters. Not saying both sides are equally wrong, but I dislike the assumption by one side that they are inarguably right.)

Doc Hawkins posted:

I've read that FDR wanted to do this, but he was negotiated down to a 90-something% top bracket instead.
Income tax doesn't matter if you aren't taxing wealth.
EDIT: Nevermind, I see you added that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The Equifax board found that the Equifax executives that sold their stock immediately after finding out about the breach did nothing wrong.

Water wet, sky blue

• Locked thread